'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Ned dying shows GRRM has no qualms about killing major characters.

I think Daenerys dies. Khal Drogo lives. Grateful to her for saving his life, he raises the child and takes up the mission to conquer the realm.

I don't know about that. The preview for next week (If I read it correctly) seemed to give away a great deal of what's going to happen in that line of the story. Think about the "a dragon cannot be killed by fire" line from a couple eps. back. I wish they wouldn't show the damned things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

I don't know about that. The preview for next week (If I read it correctly) seemed to give away a great deal of what's going to happen in that line of the story. Think about the "a dragon cannot be killed by fire" line from a couple eps. back. I wish they wouldn't show the damned things.

Don't watch the previews. Problem solved. That's what I do, anyways, as much as I am curious about what happens next.
post #363 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Hmm you know it just might be worth it Sean

http://www.weselectmodels.com/view.php?id=4233

*Admins if that pic is too rude please feel free to remove it.*
post #364 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Don't watch the previews. Problem solved. That's what I do, anyways, as much as I am curious about what happens next.

Easier said than done for me and this show. I can usually hold off the urge with other shows but this one gets me every time.

post #365 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I was thinking the same. I wondered when she would use her "gift"? I guess that has been answered. Still don't know if Drogo/Conan survives.
post #366 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I was thinking the same. I wondered when she would use her "gift"? I guess that has been answered. Still don't know if Drogo/Conan survives.

I'm guessing Ronon is not going to make it. IMO, Daenerys' display will be an attempt to take control of the Hoard. I hope it works. That being said, I was completely wrong in my read of the most recent eps. preview.

post #367 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
LOL @ instead walked back in the bar and got another beer.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #368 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM

I love the contrast in leaders of this last episode and the first. Both of them took the hard line and had someone relatively innocent beheaded. The difference is Ned did it himself and Joffrey has someone do it. There enjoyment of the acts was also very different.

Ohhhh please let Aria kill that little #$%#^#

This show is great. I can't wait for more.

I rule!

Sort of.
post #369 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Okay, I studiously avoid the previews. But dragon doesn't refer to Daenerys does it?
post #370 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Okay, I studiously avoid the previews. But dragon doesn't refer to Daenerys does it?

She is the last of the Targaryen house whose crest is a dragon, so when people say the dragons have all died out they are not only referring to the winged beast but also the House of Targaryen. That is until Daenerys proves herself a genuine carrier of the bloodline and pure Targaryen.

Based on what we've seen she's fireproof so must carry some kind of mystical gene passed down through the line and her reappearance will be foretold by some prophecy.

Maybe she'll herald in the return of the real dragons by hatching one of the eggs and this will be a sign and all the Dothraki will fall in behind her.

post #371 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcswoosh View Post

I love the contrast in leaders of this last episode and the first. Both of them took the hard line and had someone relatively innocent beheaded. The difference is Ned did it himself and Joffrey has someone do it. There enjoyment of the acts was also very different.

- Ned executed a deserter from the Night's Watch, so I wouldn't categorize him as relatively innocent. The penalty for desertion is always death.
post #372 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Ned executed a deserter from the Night's Watch, so I wouldn't categorize him as relatively innocent. The penalty for desertion is always death.

Fair enough, but he still could have shown mercy considering the man's story. Either way, my point is that both Ned and Joffrey were judge but only Ned followed it up by being executioner as well. I think this is meant to be a very distinct point in story.

I rule!

Sort of.
post #373 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

Fair enough, but he still could have shown mercy considering the man's story. Either way, my point is that both Ned and Joffrey were judge but only Ned followed it up by being executioner as well. I think this is meant to be a very distinct point in story.

Totally agree and that's why most respected him. If he passed judgement then he also handled the punishment he felt it was part of his duty. Could he have let the kid go? Sure but then anyone could do anything. If we go by what Ned said to his son he had no choice but to execute the kid there are no if ands or buts. The kid was supposed to die with honor defending the wall as his oath stated he would. This is the reason tmhe didn't fight his punishment.
post #374 of 6039 Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Totally agree and that's why most respected him. If he passed judgement then he also handled the punishment he felt it was part of his duty. Could he have let the kid go? Sure but then anyone could do anything. If we go by what Ned said to his son he had no choice but to execute the kid there are no if ands or buts.

Well you just said it yourself, there was really no way Ned could have let the deserter go. He was tied by honor and law to execute him and we've all seen how difficult it is for him to break from that. It literally killed him to disobey his honor and traditions!

It's another case of Ned not being a great independent thinker. A more confident leader might have been able to break the rules and make his own judgments and bear the weight of the decision to spare the deserter. When we first saw the execution scene Ned's duty and respect for law appeared to be a strength, but it was just an early sign of weakness in the upcoming battle.

At least Joffrey has the balls/insanity to carve out his own niche and make his own decisions regardless of protocol or lineage. He may be an arrogant little **** but he's more confident as a figurehead than Ned was.

post #375 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Just watched it again....ohhhhh man!

This is the first time since Omar saw Brandon, that I have wanted vengeance in a TV show so bad. HBO is drama king!

I rule!

Sort of.
post #376 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Maybe she'll herald in the return of the real dragons by hatching one of the eggs and this will be a sign and all the Dothraki will fall in behind her.

That's what I'm hoping for. Then they can use the dragons to help fight the zombies on the other side of the wall or when they come through when "winter" hits.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #377 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
This is the no spoilers thread. Posts deleted.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #378 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

This is the no spoilers thread. Posts deleted.

How is speculation a spoiler?

post #379 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How is speculation a spoiler?

Speculation isn't a spoiler. When the book is referenced it's a spoiler.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #380 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Speculation isn't a spoiler. When the book is referenced it's a spoiler.

I haven't read a work of fiction since the 2nd or 3rd printing of Sphere. I don't know any more about this universe then what's been aired on HBO, and the correct spelling of Daenerys Targaryen. I'd say your deleting of my post is more of a spoiler than the post itself.

post #381 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say this show rocks. I have never read the book and was pretty much shocked when Ned got the chop. Not that he didn't earn it, but I was just so surprised that a TV series killed its star before the end of the first season. That's why its not TV, its HBO.

Note to Ken and the other mods: Thank you for deleting anything and everything that is even remotely considered a spoiler or book talk. I greatly appreciate it.

Note to people who had their posts deleted: It's not the end of the world. Please come to grips with the fact that your definition of spoiler/book talk may be different than the mods. You aren't going to get your post back. Its time to let go and move on.
post #382 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was the guy that mentioned the book and I should have known better. However, my agreement with Larry's speculation is also pure speculation not spoilerish at all and the hints I mentioned exist in the show...which Larry picked up on.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #383 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say this show rocks. I have never read the book and was pretty much shocked when Ned got the chop. Not that he didn't earn it, but I was just so surprised that a TV series killed its star before the end of the first season. That's why its not TV, its HBO.

Note to Ken and the other mods: Thank you for deleting anything and everything that is even remotely considered a spoiler or book talk. I greatly appreciate it.

Note to people who had their posts deleted: It's not the end of the world. Please come to grips with the fact that your definition of spoiler/book talk may be different than the mods. You aren't going to get your post back. Its time to let go and move on.

No one should have been shocked by Ned getting knocked off. He's played by Sean Bean, and that should have set off warning bells for you right away.

When was the last time you saw Sean Bean in a production where it didn't end badly for him?
post #384 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

No one should have been shocked by Ned getting knocked off. He's played by Sean Bean, and that should have set off warning bells for you right away.

When was the last time you saw Sean Bean in a production where it didn't end badly for him?

On that note.

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity...ome-32789.html

Getting close to life imitating art, no? Also is Bean trying to take up the mantle of an aged Chuck Norris?

post #385 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

On that note.

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity...ome-32789.html

Getting close to life imitating art, no? Also is Bean trying to take up the mantle of an aged Chuck Norris?

Check 2 pages back this was already posted. Best part of the story, after the scuffle he just goes back into the bar for another drink.
post #386 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^ Carrying a head??
post #387 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Further book references will result in a thread ban.
post #388 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Further book references will result in a thread ban.

I thought we were "moving on" over this. I sure hope your're not referring to me because, as I said up thread, I don't know anything about the books. Anything I have posted is pure speculation.

post #389 of 6039 Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I thought we were "moving on" over this. I sure hope your're not referring to me because, as I said up thread, I don't know anything about the books. Anything I have posted is pure speculation.

If I'm referencing somebody specific, I'll use their name. This applies to everybody.
post #390 of 6039 Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Fair enough, but he still could have shown mercy considering the man's story.

No, he couldn't have. It's a hard and fast law of the land that deserters from the Night's Watch are executed. There's no discretion on Ned's part here.

As for his story, it made as much sense to Ned's ears as if someone accused of a capital crime today started rambling on about having seen a velociraptor walking around. As far as Ned knows, the white walkers have been extinct for thousands of years. And if the guy's story was true, his duty would be even more paramount -- to go report to the commander what had happened, giving him even less of an excuse for desertion.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page