'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Just re-watched this scene from last season, and I gotta say, I'm really starting to think Tywin must be involved with Joffrey's poisoning. That "I will" Tywin gives Cersei sounded to me like he wasn't going to stand for Joffrey's s**t much longer. If he isn't involved, I will be disappointed, because apparently Tywin is all talk.

Remember Tywin puts family first in everything though. He puts up with the antics of all the children but with much protesting. He wanted to kill Tyrion at birth but didn't because he was a Lannister. Tywin is anything but talk when it comes to anyone outside the family as we saw at the Red Wedding so I don't think he's soft in any way, just not a brute and one to knee jerk respond to situations that have far reaching political implications with the throne and the tides of power.

If he was involved with Joffrey's death, it was surely in a very carefully hidden way that will look like someone else for political gain - and if not, he may not be all broken up about it from a tactical view but I'm sure he's pissed from a strategic one that someone has assassinated a Lannister.

I'm curious what's going to unfold as to who has the power of the throne now. Poor Margaery - two husbands and still a "virgin". LOL

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Just re-watched this scene from last season, and I gotta say, I'm really starting to think Tywin must be involved with Joffrey's poisoning.
My #1 suspect (assuming the assassination came from the inner circle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

I find it hard to believe Varys would take a risk like that. I think he really does have the best interests of the kingdom at heart, but he's always been unwilling to expose himself to danger.
Agreed.
Varys prefers the shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

It seems to be after Blackwater when he was declared the hero instead of Tyrion and Tywin returned to Castle Rock so Tyrion had to behave. Although, to me, it looks more that Tyrion became more defeated than Joffrey becoming bolder. He lost his swagger after daddy showed up. Joffrey remained the same d!ckhead that he always was.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Remember Tywin puts family first in everything though. He puts up with the antics of all the children but with much protesting. He wanted to kill Tyrion at birth but didn't because he was a Lannister. Tywin is anything but talk when it comes to anyone outside the family as we saw at the Red Wedding so I don't think he's soft in any way, just not a brute and one to knee jerk respond to situations that have far reaching political implications with the throne and the tides of power.
Well said, sir.

Quote:
If he was involved with Joffrey's death, it was surely in a very carefully hidden way that will look like someone else for political gain - and if not, he may not be all broken up about it from a tactical view but I'm sure he's pissed from a strategic one that someone has assassinated a Lannister.
If someone outside the families of the bride & groom was involved, he will become Death incarnate.
He has to....otherwise it will create the impression it is Open Season on Lannisters.wink.gif

Quote:
I'm curious what's going to unfold as to who has the power of the throne now.
Has to be Tywin, at least temporarily.

Quote:
Poor Margaery - two husbands and still a "virgin". LOL
Black Widow?biggrin.gif
HD Hockey Guy likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4593 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

I find it hard to believe Varys would take a risk like that. I think he really does have the best interests of the kingdom at heart, but he's always been unwilling to expose himself to danger.

With the right backing the risk is minimal...The poison delivery system was so disconnected that it was a very low risk to begin with. He may not be the person responsible for setting the wheels in motion, but I believe he and/or his people are involved....
post #4594 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

I'm curious what's going to unfold as to who has the power of the throne now. Poor Margaery - two husbands and still a "virgin". LOL

I would think since the marriage was complete it would be Margaery as Queen. I am sure Tywin as Hand of the King will have something to say about that though. There will be another power vacuum which would be a perfect lead in (IMO) for Dany to come swooping in with her dragons and solidify the old realm once again.
post #4595 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I would think since the marriage was complete it would be Margaery as Queen.
I find it difficult the Lannisters would accept this.
They won the throne thru bloodshed and $$$ and would hardly give it up without a fight.

Tywin wants his Lannister bloodlines preserved.
Marg + Jamie = problem solved?

post #4596 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

They won the throne thru bloodshed and $$$ and would hardly give it up without a fight.

Margaery & Jamie makes sense in the game plus Cersie has told Jamie its to late. Plus Margaery is better looking anyway. But it aint going to happen.
post #4597 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

I've read the books and my rule is that I like to read this thread to see the speculation (whether right or wrong), but I don't comment one way or the other. In other words, I'm simply a passive observer.

This.

AVS is a relatively small, specialized community. The purpose of this thread is clearly for members who have not read the books to talk about the episodes. There is a separate thread for book readers. IMO, book readers should simply not post in this thread about anything relating to the content of the show. We can talk about peripheral stuff (links to interesting content on other sites, for example) or procedural stuff like this discussion about what to post, but IMO we should simply stand mute about the story and the characters. Because it's the right thing to do.
HD Hockey Guy likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4598 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If Joffrey and Margeary did not consummate the marriage, then it can be argued that they really aren't married. Good enough reason for the Lannisters.
post #4599 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

I think Margeary's grandmother would not have been involved in it if that were the case, and I do think she had a hand in it.
post #4600 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

AVS is a relatively small, specialized community. The purpose of this thread is clearly for members who have not read the books to talk about the episodes. There is a separate thread for book readers. IMO, book readers should simply not post in this thread about anything relating to the content of the show. We can talk about peripheral stuff (links to interesting content on other sites, for example) or procedural stuff like this discussion about what to post, but IMO we should simply stand mute about the story and the characters. Because it's the right thing to do.
Thank you.
I don't want to bust anyone's ba!!s, but it really is "the right thing to do."wink.gif

The other thread was specifically created to avoid these problems.
I have sensed some spilling of the beans going on around here recently and that ain't cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

If Joffrey and Margeary did not consummate the marriage, then it can be argued that they really aren't married. Good enough reason for the Lannisters.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I think Margeary's grandmother would not have been involved in it if that were the case, and I do think she had a hand in it.
I don't think she would be dumb enough to become involved BEFORE Marg produced a male heir.
Getting Joffrey offed should be at later date, but not NOW.
I don't see how such a move would be anything except desperate.

Oleanna has always been a very sharp game player around court.
It would be better if there was no controversy or legitimacy problems regarding her bloodline ascending to the Iron Throne.

post #4601 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

This.

Because it's the right thing to do.

Very well put.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #4602 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
Varys appears to have already aligned himself to the family "he" wants to see rule. I think this was covered very briefly in Season 1. I will have to go back and watch. Amazing how every time you watch an episode you pick up on more stuff. He is in the position to express support for the Lannisters and the kingdom to look good and keep his job and life. He is also in the position to gather intelligence and indirectly support people from behind the scenes.

I'm starting to think that the head women are starting to turn out to be better rulers then men (with the exception of Eddard Stark, and Stannis). They know how to play the game, use their wits and charisma, plus appear to be more natural at the job.

Daenerys Targaryen is a superb example. Olenna Tyrell is another. Margaery Tyrell has started to show signs that she could do it as well. She knows how to charm the people.

Ending that little piss Joffrey sooner rather than later must have been for a reason. The people hate him and I doubt his enemies will really fear him. There is a growing gigantic army on the move from across the sea and a 100k army of wildings trying to come down from the North. Fun times are coming.

oh and Bran looks like he found a way to tap into the "Matrix" via those trees.
post #4603 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

what about the white walkers, and the winter thats coming
post #4604 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

what about the white walkers, and the winter thats coming

What about them? The are moving slowly not much to do with them until they at least reach the wall wink.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4605 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Just re-watched this scene from last season, and I gotta say, I'm really starting to think Tywin must be involved with Joffrey's poisoning. That "I will" Tywin gives Cersei sounded to me like he wasn't going to stand for Joffrey's s**t much longer. If he isn't involved, I will be disappointed, because apparently Tywin is all talk.

That's a good scene because it's one of those that shows Tywin winning the war against Snow with only a letter.

It could be that Tywin would be working to get rid of Joffrey not just because he's a horrible king and a monster but also because of his rumored parentage that is an embarrassment to the Lannisters. However it could also be that someone else beat him to it. Tywin's earlier plan had not been fully executed when Joffrey died since Cersei had not been wed off either. Now they have another dead king with a power vacuum, Tyrion thrown in the dungeon and Cersei not in any rush to marry.

Maybe this once he was outplayed.

post #4606 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If Margaery isn't the rightful Queen, the next in line would be Stannis. I don't think the Lannisters prefer the latter.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #4607 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

If Margaery isn't the rightful Queen, the next in line would be Stannis. I don't think the Lannisters prefer the latter.

Tommen is next in line. Siblings take precedence over uncles in Westeros. Margaery was married to the King, so she is still Queen.
TulsaCoker likes this.

-- David
post #4608 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I would think since the marriage was complete it would be Margaery as Queen.

Even if the marriage was considered valid without consummation, she would still only be a dowager queen. She is not in the line of succession to the throne.

Tommen is next in line as "Robert's" other male child.
post #4609 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where has Tommen been hiding? From the HBO site it appears he has never been on the show.

hunter65 likes this.

post #4610 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm pretty sure he was on the show in past seasons.

There was one kid that was at the wedding table next to Tyrion, that got a dirty look when he laughed at the mock fight. I didn't know who that was and wondered if they were making that new kid Tommen. Tommen should only be 6 or 7 years old I think. This kid was twice that age at least. He has to be someone to be at the wedding table.

Probably no picture because the actor that was used changed.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4611 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Silly question but why isnt Tywin the King?
post #4612 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Robert sat on the throne so his descendants are in line. Since Tywin never took the throne by might or right and he is not a direct descendant of a previous king he has no say or legal claim.

He could take the throne for himself but he would have to defeat all challengers and subjugate the people into acceptance.

edit: The Lannisters used to rule but were overthrown by the Targaryen. They were then destroyed by the Baratheons and they seized power. Which brings Dany back into the picture because she wants to reclaim what the Baratheons took.

By the time she gets to King's Landing there may not be any Baratheons left anyway!
hunter65 likes this.

post #4613 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

See the above comments on line of succession. Tywin is not in the line of succession, because the Lannisters married into the Baratheon line. Beyond that, Tywin would rather pull the strings behind the throne than own it. He knows that's where the power lies (cf, Illinois politics).
hunter65 likes this.
post #4614 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

He's hand of the King and not inline for the Throne. He could take over, but he would be going against his own family technically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunter65 likes this.
post #4615 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Because Stark had taken Kings Landing and declared Robert King, according to Stark Robert had the better claim and was going to wed his sister.
post #4616 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for the explanations.
post #4617 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 159
He has nearly the power of the king already, being the Hand. He doesn't need to be king to do what he wants.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4618 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFanVa View Post

In all the excitement, I forgot all about that.tongue.gif

Quote:

What about them? The are moving slowly not much to do with them until they at least reach the wall wink.gif
Emphasis on "sloooooooowly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It could be that Tywin would be working to get rid of Joffrey not just because he's a horrible king and a monster but also because of his rumored parentage that is an embarrassment to the Lannisters.
That too.
If it came out as a fact at a later date, Joff would have been de-legitimized as a king.

Quote:
However it could also be that someone else beat him to it. Tywin's earlier plan had not been fully executed when Joffrey died since Cersei had not been wed off either. Now they have another dead king with a power vacuum.
Jamie to the rescue.wink.gif

post #4619 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

He has nearly the power of the king already, being the Hand. He doesn't need to be king to do what he wants.

The only problem is when he encounters a king who does what he wants. Joffrey was still a wild card and could screw up any plans he might have had. Does Margaery as Queen now have power to order the Hand or overrule him? That could be a problem for Tywin regardless of how good he is working his motives in the background.

post #4620 of 6037 Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFanVa View Post

Varys appears to have already aligned himself to the family "he" wants to see rule. I think this was covered very briefly in Season 1. I will have to go back and watch. Amazing how every time you watch an episode you pick up on more stuff. He is in the position to express support for the Lannisters and the kingdom to look good and keep his job and life. He is also in the position to gather intelligence and indirectly support people from behind the scenes.

I'm starting to think that the head women are starting to turn out to be better rulers then men (with the exception of Eddard Stark, and Stannis). They know how to play the game, use their wits and charisma, plus appear to be more natural at the job.

Daenerys Targaryen is a superb example. Olenna Tyrell is another. Margaery Tyrell has started to show signs that she could do it as well. She knows how to charm the people.

Ending that little piss Joffrey sooner rather than later must have been for a reason. The people hate him and I doubt his enemies will really fear him. There is a growing gigantic army on the move from across the sea and a 100k army of wildings trying to come down from the North. Fun times are coming.

Excellent points and I remarked to my wife before the last episode how much the women really control the men's fate in this story or at least influence their actions and how the real power lies with them despite the men wielding thrones and swords. Rob was done in by his mother's promise and his chosen wife, Ned's fate was sealed by Sansa and Cersei, Jaime is so swayed to act for both Cersei and Brienne, Jon Snow by Ygritte, Tyrion by Shae, Samwell by Gilly, Stannis by Melisandre, Joffrey even to a degree by Cersei and Margaery, the Hound by Arya, and so on and so on...

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page