'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

Now all that being said - it was a sad day when they cancelled John from Cincinnati

It was, because that day proved what an assine decision it was to cancel Deadwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Took a look a the "head" scene again.
Did anyone see Syrio's head there??? I did not.
post #453 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I know it's cliched, but I would've liked to see a montage at the end showing the current fates of the major characters -- Danaerys rising from the ashes, Robb the anointed king, Snow leaving the wall, the Imp going to king!s landing with his woman. Makes no difference to the plot, but it would've given more a feeling of a conclusion of one chapter.
post #454 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I know it's cliched, but I would've liked to see a montage at the end showing the current fates of the major characters -- Danaerys rising from the ashes, Robb the anointed king, Snow leaving the wall, the Imp going to king!s landing with his woman. Makes no difference to the plot, but it would've given more a feeling of a conclusion of one chapter.

That will be the season 2 Pre show. It will come just not right now
post #455 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

... Rome's first season cost nearly twice the amount of Game of Thrones ($110mil vs. $60mil). My guess is that if Rome had cost ~$60 mil a season, it would have had a longer run.

To be fair Rome's first year included the cost building of all those sets. Season 2 probably cost significantly less, as would have subsequent seasons.
post #456 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Rome also had shared expenses.
post #457 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

To be fair Rome's first year included the cost building of all those sets. Season 2 probably cost significantly less, as would have subsequent seasons.

I believe the same goes for GoT, where building sets ect got factored into total cost.
post #458 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Honestly, they overpaid for Rome. I don't remember it looking twice as expensive.

Rome was good, but I didn't think it was great. It wrapped up about the right time for me. I think GoT is quite a bit better. I haven't read the books, but if the rest of the series is as good as this first season, GoT will be one of the all time great HBO series for me.

The thing I fear is will HBO stick with this for 7 or however many seasons. Viewers just may get tired of it and it's too expensive to write off.
post #459 of 6039 Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I just ordered the BD!!!

Bobby 

post #460 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Finally finished watching the first season. Very enjoyable and obviously a very densely plotted storyline. The books must be a fun read. While the final scene of Denaerys rising nude from the ashes with her dragon hatchlings was undoubtedly powerful (and kinda' hot!), it moved the story rather shockingly from the somewhat plausible into the realm of the supernatural. I'm okay with it 'cause I like that stuff, but it does seem to be kind of a reboot considering what came before.

So is the new season now going to incorporate magic and other fantastic laws-of-physics-defying storylines? Like I said, I'm okay with that, but it does seem like it's evolved into a different show now.
post #461 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Rome also had shared expenses.

GOT I believe also shares cost with BBC.
post #462 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

...it moved the story rather shockingly from the somewhat plausible into the realm of the supernatural.

So, you must have zombies down there in NC.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #463 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

And 3 eyed ravens that tell the future.
post #464 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Finally finished watching the first season. Very enjoyable and obviously a very densely plotted storyline. The books must be a fun read. While the final scene of Denaerys rising nude from the ashes with her dragon hatchlings was undoubtedly powerful (and kinda' hot!), it moved the story rather shockingly from the somewhat plausible into the realm of the supernatural. I'm okay with it 'cause I like that stuff, but it does seem to be kind of a reboot considering what came before.

So is the new season now going to incorporate magic and other fantastic laws-of-physics-defying storylines? Like I said, I'm okay with that, but it does seem like it's evolved into a different show now.

Don't worry about any magic. This is not Harry Potter, you won't see people flying around on broomsticks and hurling fireballs or elves surfing down staircases.
post #465 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

larry

Oh, you mean the guys currently running the state legislature?

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can accept zombies and dragons more than fireproof, indestructible girls. Especially with such a fair complexion (maybe she was wearing SPF 1,000). 'Heroes' cured me of that.
post #466 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Oh, you mean the guys currently running the state legislature?

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can accept zombies more than fireproof, indestructible girls. 'Heroes' cured me of that.

She's fireproof not indestructable. The dragons were talked about all season (hoe they were killed off many years before the events we are seeing now) Since this is a "Fantasy" series IMO what we've seen is fairly tame.
post #467 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

She's fireproof not indestructable. The dragons were talked about all season (hoe they were killed off many years before the events we are seeing now) Since this is a "Fantasy" series IMO what we've seen is fairly tame.

Not to mention the fact we've seen huge dragon skulls lying around. Unlike other fantasy shows this isn't Dungeons and Dragons with a mage on every corner but it's still fantasy. Undead, witches, dragons ... they've all been running in the background throughout the season. I find most of that less fantastical than the fact The Wall was built by men. That's a lot of ice packing!

If you read the viewer's guide at HBO there's plenty of magical elements in the history of this medieval world and over time most of it has been destroyed. The show is apparently at the point in history where the mystical is having a resurgence.

post #468 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I find most of that less fantastical than the fact The Wall was built by men. That's a lot of ice packing!

If you read the viewer's guide at HBO there's plenty of magical elements in the history of this medieval world and over time most of it has been destroyed. The show is apparently at the point in history where the mystical is having a resurgence.

The Wall was built by men, but it was built a long, long time ago during the time when magic was more prevalent. I think it is a safe assumption that there was some magic used during its construction.
post #469 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another thing I found fascinating is these poor people have been stuck in their world's equivalent of the Bronze Age for thousands and thousands of years. Not a terribly creative or inventive lot, are they?

Yet they somehow managed to build that 700 foot high ice wall without tower cranes or power tools of any kind. Help from ancient astronauts, perhaps? Maybe they stopped there on their way to ancient Egypt in our world.
post #470 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Another thing I found fascinating is these poor people have been stuck in their world's equivalent of the Bronze Age for thousands and thousands of years. Not a terribly creative or inventive lot, are they?

Yet they somehow managed to build that 700 foot high ice wall without tower cranes or power tools of any kind. Help from ancient astronauts, perhaps? Maybe they stopped there on their way to ancient Egypt in our world.

During one of the episodes they said that the wall was built thousands of years ago with the help of magic. So obviously magic exists in this world, we just don't seem to see much of it (The Khalessi's husband being an example that the witch cast her spell).

post #471 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

During one of the episodes they said that the wall was built thousands of years ago with the help of magic.

Must have missed that part. So it was Ancient Astronauts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

So obviously magic exists in this world, we just don't seem to see much of it (The Khalessi's husband being an example that the witch cast her spell).

I didn't think of that as magic so much as the "witch's" life-long knowledge of local pharmacology, and how it could be misused.
post #472 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 500
Quote:

Yeah, but the same can be said about the human race. If empire builders hadn't forced their will on other civilizations, races like the Aztecs and Native Americans would probably have been quite happy doing what they do. Without exploration and conquerors, basic advancements like gunpowder and sewers for example might have stayed with the Chinese and Romans.

Explorer seems to be a non-existent profession in the Thrones world. Having a steady stream of crazy leaders who want to pull your tongue out for fun probably keeps radical innovation in check too.

According to the viewer's guide the first inhabitants were nice magical hippies until (as usual) some barbarians arrived and started a war. Maybe on the other side of the Not-Earth there's an entire civilization of steampunk magic hippies who just don't want to share with the duplicitous Thrones characters and like to keep their tech to themselves.

If the Dothraki stop being scared of boats and travel to Westeros they might knock the culture level back to the stone age!

post #473 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Season 2 Casting News!

Natalie Dormer (The Tudors') will be playing Margaery Tyrell in season two!!

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/06/...rgaery-tyrell/

-- David
post #474 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Excellent news, that woman gets my blood warm!
post #475 of 6039 Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
First I've heard of her and I approve.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #476 of 6039 Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anybody know if the "spoilers" thread only contains spoilers for "Game of Thrones" or does it also contain spoilers for all the other books ("Clash of Kings" etc) as well?

I don't want to venture over there to ask the question in case it's the latter.
post #477 of 6039 Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Does anybody know if the "spoilers" thread only contains spoilers for "Game of Thrones" or does it also contain spoilers for all the other books ("Clash of Kings" etc) as well?

All spoilers are fair game in that thread.
post #478 of 6039 Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I think people will freely reference later books.

You can ask your question and request non spoilery answers only. E.g., this happened on the show, did the same happened in GoT?
post #479 of 6039 Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
So glad hbo had a free preview week on cox. Finally got to watch this series, got two episodes left, and it's amazing. I love when a tv show can stir my emotions, it's been a long time since hbo has been able to do this for me. I think sopranos was the last one.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #480 of 6039 Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Money and HBO has a history of canceling the "good ones" We can hope.for a third season, but don't bet on it yet.

The ratings are good and signal an upward trend--not True Blood high (yet), but very good. Treme's ratings are terrible by comparison. If anyone's on the chopping block, it's Treme--which is unfortunate but wouldn't surprise me.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com