'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I hope Arya and the Hound don't just turn around and go without ever knowing Sansa was there, but it kind of seems that way to me. frown.gif And was that Winterfell that Bolton was heading for? I guess that's the traditional seat of power for the Warden of The North.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Wtf?

Normally a show that tries to shock or surprise with this many twists ends up getting to the point that you see them all a mile away. Somehow GoT manages to repeatedly lull you into forgetting to expect the unexpected and is able to continually shock us - or at least me.

Lovin' this show more and more, but can't we catch a freakin' break with the characters they make us root for? I'm half expecting Arya to fall through the Moon Door while playing an ill-advised game of Marco Polo.
post #5313 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I knew something was wrong--he didn't finish him right away, so I kept waiting for the Mountain to rise up and kill him...that, or Oberyn would throw the spear at Tywin in rage...either way, it seemed as though it was going to somehow blow up in Tyrion's face. I knew he was going to kill the Mountain though lol

Arya was like...."Seriously? What The....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Sansa's education has begun...leave it to Little Finger.

thread closed
post #5314 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
The fight was great, but I was not impressed with the Mountain's sword handling skills. Jamie lefthanded looked better than him.
post #5315 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

I hope Arya and the Hound don't just turn around and go without ever knowing Sansa was there, but it kind of seems that way to me. frown.gif And was that Winterfell that Bolton was heading for? I guess that's the traditional seat of power for the Warden of The North.

Yes that was Winterfell, it was a similar shot in season 1 wen med beheaded the Night Watch man who abandoned his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5316 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

The fight was great, but I was not impressed with the Mountain's sword handling skills. Jamie lefthanded looked better than him.

I hope you are not serious. He was quite impressive considering he was facing an unknown fighter who was quicker than he was. Of course I am sure if you were in that ring, you'd finish the Mountain in moments wink.gif

post #5317 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I hope you are not serious. He was quite impressive considering he was facing an unknown fighter who was quicker than he was. Of course I am sure if you were in that ring, you'd finish the Mountain in moments wink.gif
- Not to mention that he's swinging a gigantic sword.
post #5318 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

Quote:

I hope you are not serious. He was quite impressive considering he was facing an unknown fighter who was quicker than he was.

I agree with him, but Gregor performed exactly as expected. Gregor has no great skill with a sword as we saw previously. He relies on brute force attack to stun or injure the opponent on the first blow. The weight of that sword probably helps and the fact he can swing it one handed was probably his best asset, but he didn't swing it with finesse and relied on kicking and throwing to outmatch Oberyn.

If he was fencing an opponent with a foil for points he would be losing every time!

Oberyn lost because he spent too much time showing off. When he was really fighting Gregor wasn't up to the task and only managed to get in a killing blow because Oberyn once again was too busy playing to his own ego.

post #5319 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Gregor performed well I thought for his size and wielded the ultra large sword with fair ease. While I agree it's not finesse, he dosent need to be a finesse type fighter. Brute force in a traditional sword fight can often win. It may not look pretty, but it's effective. Oberyn lost because of his ulterior motives and emotions (as we have often seen in this show) got him killed.

"If he was fencing" well "if they were fighting with logs they'd win" I don't look at "ifs" only what is presented.

Gregor was quicker than I think most expected as he did get off more than a few hits. If he wasn't quick there would be no chance of him hitting Obyren. P

post #5320 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
All I know is, somehow, Tyrion WILL survive this...he has to--there's no one else I care much about in this fictitious world. Don't get me wrong, I still support the remaining Starks, but in Kings Landing, there's no one else. I'm not even all that crazy about Danny at the moment...wouldn't mind a moment alone with her servant though...to help me learn the native tongue you understand.

So how does Tyrion survive this? We need ideas people--I'm thinking a Royal pardon (wonder where I got that idea?), but only Tywin could arrange something like that, and you know it would carry a price. Busting him out of jail before execution is possible--but who would bother?

Plus, if Tyrion dies, his story would've been for nothing--worse than the Red Viper...he only mattered for a part of a season, so it doesn't matter too much that his story/quest went nowhere--but Tyrion is a major character from the beginning, his story should matter--if he is beheaded, there should be ramifications...at this point, there are none. So no...if Tyrion dies, then this story was written purely to take an unconventional path, and not in a good way IMHO.

I thought it kind of funny that Arya was talking about how unsatisfying Joffrey's death was...at least they acknowledged it lol

thread closed
post #5321 of 6039 Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I always suspected GRRM wouldn't be able to help himself in his relentless quest to kill off every last (relatively) good person that we could care for in this (that) world. I had a sneaking suspicion that Oberyn would somehow buy the farm in the fight, and Tyrion's life would once again be in peril. Why? Because of the track record of this show: Ned, Rob, Cat, yadda yadda! GRRM wouldn't give us the satisfaction with TWO more episodes to go till season finale, so how could we have the satisfaction of seeing a favored one come up lucky for once?

At this rate, I suspect this show would leave me depressed by the time it runs its course. Although our hopes for Tyrion's vindication were dashed against the rocks eek.gif, the silver lining was seeing Sansa finally sprout some brain cells in her pretty head.

I guess Tyrion's story about the his cousin Orson and the beetles was a sly hint of GRRM smashing all the futile hopes that his readers build around (relatively) righteous people in this world. Why does he do that? Maybe because he can't help himself. tongue.gif Tyrion was in effect telling us to get ready for yet another round of pounding disappointment.
post #5322 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Too much tap dancing around. Reminded me of The Princess Bride: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" I was really digging Oberyn too. Does The Mountain recover? How does Tyrion get out of this? And he better get out, GRRM.
gwsat likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #5323 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Not to mention that he's swinging a gigantic sword.

If I had a nickel every time I heard that... I'd have ¢.05 biggrin.gif
Espnetboy3 likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #5324 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So disappointed in Oberyn. Why couldn't he just kill him?! I guess that's the problem with fighting with so much emotion/anger inside of you. And geez, what a horrible way to die! One of the most grotesque deaths, if not the most, that I can recall from this show.

post #5325 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

Gregor performed well I thought for his size and wielded the ultra large sword with fair ease. While I agree it's not finesse, he dosent need to be a finesse type fighter. Brute force in a traditional sword fight can often win. It may not look pretty, but it's effective. Oberyn lost because of his ulterior motives and emotions (as we have often seen in this show) got him killed.

"If he was fencing" well "if they were fighting with logs they'd win" I don't look at "ifs" only what is presented.

Fencing is the very definition of "sword handling" and exactly what Gregor did not have, so the initial point is correct. He could have just as easily been using an axe or a club, because that's how he used the sword. Thrust, parry, riposte etc. demonstrate sword skill. Swinging it around is just fighting. It might work for him to win but it doesn't demonstrate any great skill. You can see that exact contrast on the show with Syrio and Arya.

post #5326 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
good news

once we get rid of all the characters we care about
future shows can give us a full hour of ramsey and reek

neflixis our nemesis
post #5327 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good news

once we get rid of all the characters we care about
future shows can give us a full hour of ramsey and reek

As Tyrion inches closer to flying, Jon Snow is getting close to his moment of truth with Ygritt next week, but that rotten twat Cersei can't die any sooner!
acebreathe and Espnetboy3 like this.
post #5328 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I guess I'm spoiled by movies and shows like Conan the Barbarian and Sparacus where the sword play was quite skillful. I realize he was swinging a giant sword, but if that's your weapon of choice, you should be able to handle it better than that. Also, he is older than the Hound so it's not like he just picked up a sword two weeks before to start learning.
post #5329 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18

That fight scene had me on the edge, i was so elated to see what i thought was an Oberyn win, i thought he was gonna try and kill Tywin as well... sooo disappointing...... this show is too realistic, bad ppl always win, and theres never any justice. it seemed there would be and i was so pumped up for the Viper getting retribution, then BAM, its literally swept right from under his feet. I thought his emotion would get the better of him. 

please let Arya run into Sansa

post #5330 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I'm wondering if the bastard king in the boat will show up and that will alter Tyrion's fate. How this show goes he will probably slip getting out of the boat and drown before anyone sees him.

post #5331 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'm wondering if the bastard king in the boat will show up and that will alter Tyrion's fate. How this show goes he will probably slip getting out of the boat and drown before anyone sees him.

yea i think its time for a Gendry scene. but if he shows up what can he do, unless he has an army behind him. if he tries to claim the throne they'll just kill him for treason

post #5332 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I'm spoiled by movies and shows like Conan the Barbarian and Sparacus where the sword play was quite skillful. I realize he was swinging a giant sword, but if that's your weapon of choice, you should be able to handle it better than that. Also, he is older than the Hound so it's not like he just picked up a sword two weeks before to start learning.

There are different levels of skill and finesse. Gregor was very skilled, but he was not about finesse. He handled his sword quite well I think especially since he could wield it with one hand. Much like in boxing, a finesse boxer who can make the power puncher miss can win, but all the power puncher needs is to connect that one time and it would be "over". In shows like Spartacus they have much smaller weapons and use a lot less armor. They are trained much more in finesse than power moves. I believe you were looking for a classic sword fight, but I don't think that was ever going to be the case between these two. A clash of styles was displayed and the quick finesse would have one if it wasn't for the fault of Obyren having revenge too close to his heart. His ultimate fault is that he had needs beyond having the mountain dead. If the only need was death, it would have ended quickly. It opened a weakness and gave the Mountain the opening he needed.

post #5333 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Did anyone else get the vibe that Selmy was ready to go to blows with Jorah? He had his hand on that big ol' sword the whole time they were talking and it seemed like he was almost daring Jorah to pick up arms. He never liked Jorah and was just reveling in the moment.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #5334 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are different levels of skill and finesse. Gregor was very skilled, but he was not about finesse. He handled his sword quite well I think especially since he could wield it with one hand. Much like in boxing, a finesse boxer who can make the power puncher miss can win, but all the power puncher needs is to connect that one time and it would be "over". In shows like Spartacus they have much smaller weapons and use a lot less armor. They are trained much more in finesse than power moves. I believe you were looking for a classic sword fight, but I don't think that was ever going to be the case between these two. A clash of styles was displayed and the quick finesse would have one if it wasn't for the fault of Obyren having revenge too close to his heart. His ultimate fault is that he had needs beyond having the mountain dead. If the only need was death, it would have ended quickly. It opened a weakness and gave the Mountain the opening he needed.

Who (main characters) hasn't died in the show due to hubris? The King, Ned, Rob, Joffery, Lysa (crazyness too), Oberyn, Theon's manhood. Catelyn Stark was killed because of Rob's hubris. The main point GRRM has made with me is don't be stupid and don't be on your high horse, which is also a form of stupid.
post #5335 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

Did anyone else get the vibe that Selmy was ready to go to blows with Jorah? He had his hand on that big ol' sword the whole time they were talking and it seemed like he was almost daring Jorah to pick up arms. He never liked Jorah and was just reveling in the moment.

I vaguely remember him not trusting Jorah from the start because of Jorah's past. What better way to be rid of him then to do it yourself.
post #5336 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about the Mountain knocking out the Viper's teeth in one punch?....that might be one of the most awesome scenes I have ever seen.
post #5337 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Who (main characters) hasn't died in the show due to hubris? The King, Ned, Rob, Joffery, Lysa (crazyness too), Oberyn, Theon's manhood. Catelyn Stark was killed because of Rob's hubris. The main point GRRM has made with me is don't be stupid and don't be on your high horse, which is also a form of stupid.
Huh?

Ned certainly didn't die from hubris. He actually recanted and told a lie in an effort to save his family.
post #5338 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed smile.gif the characters who have died so far have all had a major flaw that was exploited. If they had just gone "blank" or did what needed to be done instead of doing what they wanted to get done some if not all would be alive wink.gif the Lannisters always do what needs to be done to get what they wanted to get done accomplished.

drhill likes this.
post #5339 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Quote:

Huh?

Ned certainly didn't die from hubris. He actually recanted and told a lie in an effort to save his family.

They reason he was in prison was because he thought doing the right/noble thing would work. He was so confident in the high road he doomed his family.
post #5340 of 6039 Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

How about the Mountain knocking out the Viper's teeth in one punch?....that might be one of the most awesome scenes I have ever seen.

Much more pleasant than what followed.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page