'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6039 Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Game gets 13 Emmy Noms!

Peter Dinklage got nods in supporting actor drama categories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6039 Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I give thee..The Sean Bean Death Reel!
post #543 of 6039 Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Spoiler removed.
post #544 of 6039 Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Spoiler removed.

I take it you're referring to the gobs of comments to the casting news, not the news itself.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #545 of 6039 Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Casting news for characters that are from future books.
post #546 of 6039 Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If people don't watch this show, they don't know that winter is coming!
post #547 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildimsum7 View Post

spoiler

Not really, just crazy what is & isn't considered a spoiler in this thread.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #548 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM

The definition is the same in every thread.
post #549 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteoMS View Post

spoiler

Not really, just crazy what is & isn't considered a spoiler in this thread.

FWI, I agree with you, I didn't think it was a spoiler, either. That said, we can hardly blame the moderator for his caution. After all, it is he who must be responsible for the paranoid ravings of the spoilerphobics. Maybe he's right because he does us all a favor by not giving the crazies a chance to vent.

I haven't been watching Game of Thrones because I cancelled my HBO subscription last year. From all indications, though, it's wonderful. Assuming it hold's up, I will probably watch the BDs of the series. I am getting ready to read the George R.R. Martin books upon which the HBO series is based because it, too, has received rave reviews. As long as the books are, the TV series could run for 20 years. (It's not a spoiler to mention that there is a series of books and that they are long is it?)
post #550 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

FWI, I agree with you, I didn't think it was a spoiler, either. That said, we can hardly blame the moderator for his caution. After all, it is he who must be responsible for the paranoid ravings of the spoilerphobics. Maybe he's right because he does us all a favor by not giving the crazies a chance to vent.

I haven't been watching Game of Thrones because I cancelled my HBO subscription last year. From all indications, though, it's wonderful. Assuming it hold's up, I will probably watch the BDs of the series. I am getting ready to read the George R.R. Martin books upon which the HBO series is based because it, too, has received rave reviews. As long as the books are, the TV series could run for 20 years. (It's not a spoiler to mention that there is a series of books and that they are long is it?)

Are we really going to go the sarcastic route again. Everytime the spoiler rules get brought up someone wants to make a big.deal about it. The rules were around long before this thread. Its either deal with it or move on.

The show is going to be one book per season (this is known) however discussing the book or differences, ect should go in the spoiler thread. Even though some people may not look at casting news as spoilers, for those unfamiliar with the book it may actually be a spoiler. Better to be safe then sorry.
post #551 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildimsum7 View Post

Various characters have been telling us "winter is coming" throughout the first season. How could that possibly be considered a spoiler?

But I'm on record as being, like gwsat, somewhat intolerant of spoilerphobics. The rules are clear and most people can figure out how to follow them. There might be some gray area where off-season casting news is concerned. For the record, I have no problem with it and actually enjoy knowing what actors will be appearing in my favorite shows. For others, the whole experience is thereafter irretrievably wrecked. Go figure.
post #552 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Everyone got ticked in the old 24 thread when people posted that Carlos Bernard would be returning in the next episode - and it turned out to spoil what was supposed to be a dramatic moment in the show. Ever since then we have been cautious about any casting news that could potentially be a spoiler.

In this case, the articles posted listed characters in future books that were being cast - how those characters were related to the existing characters - and a brief outline of how they will fit into the story and what they will be doing.

Now if an existing character was being re-cast, it'd be a different story. But any discussion of future characters that haven't even been mentioned in the show to date is clearly a spoiler - at least how it is defined here. If this were a normal show thread, I'd have still added spoiler tags.
post #553 of 6039 Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Are we really going to go the sarcastic route again. Everytime the spoiler rules get brought up someone wants to make a big.deal about it. The rules were around long before this thread. Its either deal with it or move on.

The show is going to be one book per season (this is known) however discussing the book or differences, ect should go in the spoiler thread. Even though some people may not look at casting news as spoilers, for those unfamiliar with the book it may actually be a spoiler. Better to be safe then sorry.

I agree absolutely that it's better to be safe than sorry where spoilers are concerned, which is why I go out of my way to make sure I don't post them. In the context of the issue as it was presented here, though, I didn't see a spoiler. Recall, however, that I didn't post it, either. By the way, I have been around here longer than you have. I suggest that I know the spoiler rules at least as well as you do and observe them as carefully as anyone. Now, can we get back to discussing the show?
post #554 of 6039 Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree absolutely that it's better to be safe than sorry where spoilers are concerned, which is why I go out of my way to make sure I don't post them. In the context of the issue as it was presented here, though, I didn't see a spoiler. Recall, however, that I didn't post it, either. By the way, I have been around here longer than you have. I suggest that I know the spoiler rules at least as well as you do and observe them as carefully as anyone. Now, can we get back to discussing the show?

My post wasn't directed at you in particular. Believe me I don't need you to tell me that you've been here longer than me, I can see that quite easily(even though its not that much longer ) My point was more to the fact that people tend to go up in arms when the rule is enforced. Its happened more than once in this thread. I agree however that hopefully we can get back to the show
post #555 of 6039 Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
TCA Summer Tour Notes
HBO: We won't ax 'Game of Thrones' too soon
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - July 28th, 2011

HBO's top executives reassured nervous critics that Game of Thrones won't be treated like Deadwood a serialized favorite that was cancelled without an ending.

We told [author George R.R. Martin] we'd go as long as he keeps writing, said HBO co-president Richard Plepler.

I hope it lasts for 20 years, says HBO programming president Michael Lombardo of the show. I promise you we won't stop it before it's ready to stop There's a great relationship fans have with the show and we appreciate that. We've never seen people get so excited about casting [decisions].

One critic worried about the possibility of Thrones finishing in the middle of Martin's saga. Nor do we expect it to, Plepler said.

But don't start debating who'll play Victarion just yet there's some hedging to come. I don't know where the show ends compared to the books, Lombardo added. We're doing this without any predetermined number of seasons.

The executives also addressed a big fan complaint only doing 10 episodes per season.

The challenge on a show like Thrones is if we could do 12, we would, said Lombardo, who noted they didn't want fans to have to wait more than a year between seasons. To produce those shows in the time they have, there's no way they could physically do more than 10 than for without diluting the quality of the execution.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/28/hb...el/#more-52394
post #556 of 6039 Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

My post wasn't directed at you in particular. Believe me I don't need you to tell me that you've been here longer than me, I can see that quite easily(even though its not that much longer ) My point was more to the fact that people tend to go up in arms when the rule is enforced. Its happened more than once in this thread. I agree however that hopefully we can get back to the show

I hear you. Spoilerphobics can be so emotional and silly, I tend to react negatively when a post I thought was benign gets pulled because of fear of a spoilerphobic rant. Nevertheless, we agree that real spoilers should be avoided and that it's better to be safe than sorry. Debates like this make me glad I'm not a moderator.
post #557 of 6039 Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Game of Thrones VFX - how it was done(no spoilers, first series content only).

post #558 of 6039 Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I honestly thought they were shooting on location in some castles for most of the courtyard scenes in the North. Nice invisible effects work there. I didn't even second guess the location.

Cute baby dragons are still cute baby dragons. So even now the final scene just makes me laugh.

post #559 of 6039 Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Indeed, it also gives me a greater appreciation for the work these actors do when working a scene that could very well be mostly green screen. It must be difficult at times to muster up certain emotions, facial expressions and even physical movements, all to perform in a non-existent environment.
post #560 of 6039 Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
It really is impressive work. Most of those scenes would have had me guessing as to whether they were filmed in actual old world castles or CGI. The blend of the CGI with the actual locations and characters is amazingly real. Makes you wonder just what they will be capable of doing in 5 or 10 more years.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #561 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Peter Dinklage wins Best Supporting Actor Emmy for Game of Thrones! Well deserved, I say. His "confession" monologue in the Eyrie about the turtle stew was enough to earn him the award by itself, in my book.

You can watch his acceptance speech here. GOT didn't win in any other of the major categories in which it was nominated. The full list of nominations is on that linked page as well.
post #562 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

post #563 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Well, if GOT was only going to win one award they at least got it right. Dinklage has been fantastic.
post #564 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandog View Post

well, if got was only going to win one award they at least got it right. Dinklage has been fantastic.

+1 - yeah imp!!!!:d

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #565 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HALF - MAN !

HALF - MAN !

I'll celebrate with a flagon of golden wine from the Arbor!

Congrats to Peter, well done.

-- David
post #566 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

HALF - MAN !

HALF - MAN !

I'll celebrate with a flagon of golden wine from the Arbor!

Congrats to Peter, well done.

I guess better that than picking up a couple hookers and bad mouthing your father.
post #567 of 6039 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although I have not yet seen Season 1 of Game of Thrones, I have read the first three novels in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series, upon which the TV show is based. I think that Tyrion Lannister, played in the TV series by Peter Dinklage, is the most interesting of the series' large cast of colorful characters. It is no surprise, then, that the TV show's writers and the talented Peter Dinklage did such a good job with Tyrion that it won Dinklage an Emmy. I can hardly wait for Season 1 of Game of Thrones to be released on BD.
post #568 of 6039 Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I guess better that than picking up a couple hookers and bad mouthing your father.

That's, like, your opinion, man.
post #569 of 6039 Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

That's, like, your opinion, man.

ROFL! Your post makes me wonder whether the Dude watched Game of Thrones.
post #570 of 6039 Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com