'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Just like in True Blood, the preview was misleading. I was wondering about the Mother's lack of emotion on the death of her child.

The developing relationship between Drogo and his bride is getting interesting. I haven't read the books, but I get the feeling she will work against her brother's interests though. Emilia Clarke is quite beautiful, but her dark eye brows clash with her light blond hair.

Art
That's the difference when the creative people are allowed to create the previews/promos. Now, even when you think they might have revealed too much, you never know if it might be completely out of context.

Contrast that with NBC who turns over the entire season to the marketing department and they spill whatever they want in order to make their 15 seconds as exciting as possible without regard to the impact on the story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Loving the wolves!

Oh that one family (Lanisters?) is crazy evil, exept for the dwarf...he seems okay lol.

Will someone please tell me why the young daughter was with her father and not left with her mother? I remember her packing, I just don't remember why she had to go...gonna have to watch it again.

thread closed
post #33 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
The developing relationship between Drogo and his bride is getting interesting. I haven't read the books, but I get the feeling she will work against her brother's interests though. Emilia Clarke is quite beautiful, but her dark eye brows clash with her light blond hair.
She has learned that then as now, the way to some mens' heart is through their groin Her domination of Drogo sexually was really fascinating. It will be interesting to see how far he will let her go with this.
post #34 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
Will someone please tell me why the young daughter was with her father and not left with her mother? I remember her packing, I just don't remember why she had to go...gonna have to watch it again.
Just the standard reason you would expect of a noble family, to raise them in the royal court. Bran would have gone too except for the fall. Catelyn and Robb were to stay back and govern Winterfell, and Rickon being too young would also stay.
post #35 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Emilia Clarke is quite beautiful, but her dark eye brows clash with her light blond hair.

Art

At first glance, I thought she was Piper Pirabo (sp?).
post #36 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysellers View Post

Just the standard reason you would expect of a noble family, to raise them in the royal court. Bran would have gone too except for the fall. Catelyn and Robb were to stay back and govern Winterfell, and Rickon being too young would also stay.

For Sansa, the reason is even more specific. Ed betrothed her to Joffrey in Episode 1.
post #37 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Interesting to pick a book series that never was finished. Been waiting for years for chapter 5 in the series... they say July 12th, but it's been pushed back many times.

For modern fantasy literature, it's quite a gripping read with very interesting characters (the bad guys can have streaks of nobility and redemption within them, and the good guys can be a bit dark sometimes), intricately woven plot, and the feeling that no one is safe, not even the so-called main characters.

The books are definitely better, but hopefully the TV show hits its stride before HBO cancels it like they're fond of doing.

They seem to be truncating the story quite a bit (which to some degree is necessary for TV)... perhaps it's so expensive a series that it will last for no more than two or three.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #38 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone noticed the random (about 10 times a minute) frame jumps in episodes 1 and 2. Treme followed episode 2 and Treme played flawlessly. I am stumped considering the high production values of GOT.

The frame jumps don't appear to be rhythmic ie. once every 7 seconds but happen randomly.

I do not notice it on any other programing on HBO or other networks. I am watching Cablebision on Nassau County Long Island.

Any ideas?

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #39 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post

Has anyone noticed the random (about 10 times a minute) frame jumps in episodes 1 and 2. Treme followed episode 2 and Treme played flawlessly. I am stumped considering the high production values of GOT.

The frame jumps don't appear to be rhythmic ie. once every 7 seconds but happen randomly.

I do not notice it on any other programing on HBO or other networks. I am watching Cablebision on Nassau County Long Island.

Any ideas?

i did and i am also on cablevision
post #40 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I didn't see any of that on DishNetwork....

Bobby 

post #41 of 6039 Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Interesting to pick a book series that never was finished. Been waiting for years for chapter 5 in the series... they say July 12th, but it's been pushed back many times.

For modern fantasy literature, it's quite a gripping read with very interesting characters (the bad guys can have streaks of nobility and redemption within them, and the good guys can be a bit dark sometimes), intricately woven plot, and the feeling that no one is safe, not even the so-called main characters.

The books are definitely better, but hopefully the TV show hits its stride before HBO cancels it like they're fond of doing.

They seem to be truncating the story quite a bit (which to some degree is necessary for TV)... perhaps it's so expensive a series that it will last for no more than two or three.

I hope they at least do a third season. As someone who has read the series I'm sure you agree that that book would be great to see on the screen.

I'm hopeful the July 12th date holds. Book 4 was a bit of a let down and I'm anxious to see what happens in #5.
post #42 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I didn't see any of that on DishNetwork....

HBO typically doesn't studder for me like AMC can do and used to do a lot. I haven't noticed anything. I think the PQ of the first two shows has been excellent for cable. The BDs should be superb.

Who woulda thought the mother could take care of herself like she did? The little prince is a twit. He looks weird too, almost like he's had botox injections already. And Peter Dinklage has been great, which is not a surprise.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #43 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This show is hitting on all cylinders for me. Love the wolves, the heroes (the youngest stark girl is a favorite), the villains (had wondered about Lena Heady's character but she seems full-on villain now), and the ones in between (the "imp" is absolutely fantastic).

The wife bought me the book for Easter, but the show is just so good that I am going to wait until it's over before diving into the book. I typically prefer the fantasy genre on-screen as opposed to on-page anyway...just the opposite with sci-fi.
post #44 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Lena Heady interests me in that she can dominate a scene because what she does, she does very well. However, she seems to be playing the same character with obviuosly different plotting choices. Brothers Grimm, 300, Sarah Connor and now this...same expressions, demeanor and attitude played out over 4 roles. Either she's typecast for these roles or has limited range. I wonder if she has ever done anything light and breezy. She always comes across as a strong woman in pain, not giving in to it, but never happy.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #45 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Lena Heady interests me in that she can dominate a scene because what she does, she does very well. However, she seems to be playing the same character with obviuosly different plotting choices. Brothers Grimm, 300, Sarah Connor and now this...same expressions, demeanor and attitude played out over 4 roles. Either she's typecast for these roles or has limited range. I wonder if she has ever done anything light and breezy. She always comes across as a strong woman in pain, not giving in to it, but never happy.

Agreed on all points.
post #46 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM

I noticed the stuttering in episode #1 on the HBO East feed. For the 2nd episode, I DVR'd HBO West feed and didi not see the issue. I have Cablevision and it may be an issue with them if people with other providers do not see the issue.
post #47 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
2 episodes in and this thread is only 2 pages long?...wow

Episode 2 had amazing HD video quality...everything looked very detailed and crisp
post #48 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great beginning...

How long can the Starks support the Lanisters... when the truth comes out that the Queen & her brother tried to kill the boy... twice?

Evil Queen... with an equally evil lover/brother... will the King WAKE UP... and demand "Justice" ? He may be forced to, to hold the Starks as allies.
Naw.... not likely to happen.

The drawf offers an insiders view of this family, I'm sure.

Snow has to return to Winterfest... doesn't he?
When will Snow's stepmother wake-up and accept John Snow? The rest of the family already has!!!

Is the common enemy... Targaryn house... going to force Houses Stark & Lanister to remain allies?

Waiting for Dragon eggs to hatch... will Daenerys control them? If so... her brother may drop very low on the food chain !!!

Ahh... the twists and turns this show may take are mind boggalling.
post #49 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy
2 episodes in and this thread is only 2 pages long?...wow

Episode 2 had amazing HD video quality...everything looked very detailed and crisp
Most likely because it has been split into 2 threads one with book discussion/spoilers the other (this one) without.

Great show so far this show has hooked me. My fiancée watched the episode with me and she was very emotional at the end. She was really moved by the "hearing" even thigh this was pretty normal for this genre.

This must be one of the best looking shows (non nature) that I've watched recently the Blu-rays might be stunning. I haven't noticed and frame skipping/glitches in the feed on HBO East from Cox so it might possibly be provider related.
post #50 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Agree on the picture quality comments, this show has been the best looking HD I've seen in years, unbelievably clean and sharp with wonderful, almost 3D-like imagery to go along with the equally spectacular color palette. Evidently HBO knows what it's doing when it comes to MPEG4 compression/distribution.

And equally, Comcast is not screwing it up with the transition back to MPEG2 for their internal system distribution.

Sort of makes you wonder what the heck is up with a whole lot of the rest of these "HD" stations/networks.
post #51 of 6039 Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Agreed. The picture and audio is fantastic. If only it didn't stutter. Early comments point to a Cablevision problem.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #52 of 6039 Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm a DirecTV subscriber and haven't noticed any problems with video/audio at all through the first two episodes, so yeah, it look slike a provider-specific issue. Sorry to hear about it.

And so far I think the show's amazing.
post #53 of 6039 Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is not my kind of show but... I gave it a shot anyway. The albino chick and the midget are the only things keeping me around.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #54 of 6039 Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

And so far I think the show's amazing.

Agreed, I am loving it, I just try to ignore the frame rate jitters

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Oppo BDP-103
post #55 of 6039 Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

The albino chick and the midget are the only things keeping me around.

... always wondered if there was a demo that favored albino chicks and midgets. Maybe more shows will start taking advantage.
post #56 of 6039 Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
LOL! Make that albino strippers, midgets, and balloons, I'm there! Sorry, can't help giving props to Dave Attell.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #57 of 6039 Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I think watching paint dry was more exciting then the last episode of Game of Thrones...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #58 of 6039 Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

I think watching paint dry was more exciting then the last episode of Game of Thrones...

That's pretty harsh. I enjoyed last nights episode. It was slow, but with so many characters in the show, I think more time is required for character development.
post #59 of 6039 Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 134
Bonus points for no gratuitous violence toward four footed critters. Seriously, they very nearly lost me at the end of episode two. I think we could have understood that the Lanisters are "less than noble" without that last punch.
post #60 of 6039 Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Ned being forced to kill Lady is vastly different than gratuitous violence.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page