'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6039 Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I agree it's a nice change of pace with HBO. While I understand why some people have issues with the GoT sequence, I am not one of them. I enjoy watching it every week. HBO has done an excellent job with the recent intros of their shows. Sometimes short intros are good and sometime a adding just a little creativeness will have the viewer sit through then even though they don't need to

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Regardless of whether it's in a sphere, a cube, a triangle or a Möbius strip, I still generally sit thru the intro with the idea that there may be some clue or what not buried in there somewhere .. sad, I know ..
Ph8te and cardoski like this.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6039 Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
as I mentioned above is exactly how some people took it literally as the universe the show takes place in.
Do these literalists also believe that all the castles and buildings in the show popped out of the ground on mechanical clockwork springs?
c.kingsley, Ph8te and hooked01 like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6003 of 6039 Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Several GoT centric takes on the "thingstimhowardcouldsave" meme that sprang up after he set the world cup record for saves in a single game last week:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thin...ed=0CAkQ_AUoAg

ron
Keenan and raaj like this.
post #6004 of 6039 Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Which is why I said it doesn't work. Nice to see you agree.

The problem is the audience can't visualize it because it is such an abstract concept. It's been so long since I actually watched it, even I forgot how it actually works.

Even looking at the astrolabe render I still think it would have been far simpler and just as effective to have put the globe in the center and pan across that. They could even have the sun rotating around on one of the rings.
I think we're all happy you were here to textually interpret the concept for us (not to burst your bubble, but it isn't that abstract of a concept). First world problems, I say. The title sequence is not how you would have done it, probably has next to nothing to do with the show, yet I doubt it will ever change. Perhaps someday when you are designing title sequences for hit TV shows we'll all be able to revel in their intuitiveness and applicability.
post #6005 of 6039 Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
I think we're all happy you were here to textually interpret the concept for us (not to burst your bubble, but it isn't that abstract of a concept).
Based on this thread and the response on the internet it apparently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
Perhaps someday when you are designing title sequences for hit TV shows we'll all be able to revel in their intuitiveness and applicability.
I'll think about it. I don't work for a TV network anymore and I haven't done storyboards for a long, long time.

But as with anything, you don't need to be creating the very thing you are appreciating. So you can applaud a good idea from a distance.

post #6006 of 6039 Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone played the video game for GOT? I have been playing TES Skyrim for awhile now, and to me its the closest RPG there is to the world of GOT. anyone else have any fav fantasy RPG's?
post #6007 of 6039 Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 369
You guys want to talk about bad opening credits, check out the second episode of The Leftovers. Holy crap, perhaps the worst credits sequence ever aired on television.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6008 of 6039 Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I always thought the opening sequence for "Boardwalk Empire" was particularly low budget ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6009 of 6039 Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Personally, I love the GOT opening - one of the very few I actually watch. Great theme music and they bother to customize the intro based on the progression of the show. I'm not caught up in the authenticity of the science behind it, just view it as a cool steam-punky intro that I can either bob my head to, or do the orchestra conductor hands to while I'm watching it.

But then, Big Love was another one that made me watch from beginning to end - and that wasn't particularly creative. Just something hypnotic about it that kept me from skipping ahead - so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Ph8te and cardoski like this.
post #6010 of 6039 Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I don't know if True Blood started the trend, and I can't stand it now after binge watching the first season, but now every supernatural show has to have the fast cut, creepy scenes beginning (American Horror Story and Salem).
post #6011 of 6039 Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I like the True Detectives opening title, but mostly it's the music.

Of course the greatest TV title sequence ever is The Brady Bunch's. Memorable, iconic, endlessly parodied and remixed.

Last edited by barth2k; 07-09-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #6012 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
19 Emmy nominations for Game of Thrones, including best drama. That's the most for any show this year.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...tes-story.html
Ph8te likes this.
post #6013 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 387
Apart from Dinklage's supporting nod I expect Breaking Bad to clean up in every category it's nominated in.

post #6014 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Apart from Dinklage's supporting nod I expect Breaking Bad to clean up in every category it's nominated in.
The Emmy info reminded me that BB ended just under a year ago .. yet it seems so much longer since Walt and the gang ended the run ..

Uncle Willie

post #6015 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have been watching BB over again on Netflix. It is a great show, but to me shows like GOT and Boardwalk Empire are on another level, acting writing and production on HBO shows and I include Deadwood, are on a level all their own. IMHO

James Reid:D
post #6016 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have been watching BB over again on Netflix. It is a great show, but to me shows like GOT and Boardwalk Empire are on another level, acting writing and production on HBO shows and I include Deadwood, are on a level all their own. IMHO
Once I was able to get a nice, clean feed on HBOGO, the first thing I did was a binge watch on Deadwood, which I had not watched since the original series aired .. and although I'm with you on your comments, Deadwood fell apart in the last season, where BB essentially built up over 5 years to an incredible climax .. BB for the win, sorry ..

Tastes vary, and all shows you mention / Deadwood / BB / GOT / Empire .. are all great shows, it would be impossible to rate them even on greatness since we all have what we personally consider the "greatest"

The question becomes, if you were stranded on a desert island with a 65" TV, a BD player and a generator, and could only have one series to watch, what would you select .. ?? It would be tough for me, but I would have to choose BB ..
cardoski likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #6017 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The question becomes, if you were stranded on a desert island with a 65" TV, a BD player and a generator, and could only have one series to watch, what would you select .. ?? It would be tough for me, but I would have to choose BB ..
Not LOST? The search for a magic glowy cave could at least keep you occupied during downtime.
post #6018 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"The question becomes, if you were stranded on a desert island with a 65" TV, a BD player and a generator, and could only have one series to watch, what would you select .. ?? It would be tough for me, but I would have to choose BB .. "[/QUOTE]

Well it may be cheating but I would pick Star Trek, mostly because there are 6 different series to take, if I could take them all that is. Aside from that I would take GOT, the depth and scope of the show is so massive. But if I had to take BB I would not complain, it is a great show and I agree with art there is no "greatest" only personal greats.

James Reid:D

Last edited by cardoski; 07-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #6019 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM

If I could only have one complete series, it would be BB. But if I were truly on a deserted island with limited other entertainment options, I'd probably take GOT just because there's more directions your imagination can take you when you aren't watching.

Although Dr. Who might be an option just for the sheer volume.
post #6020 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
If I could only have one complete series, it would be BB. But if I were truly on a deserted island with limited other entertainment options, I'd probably take GOT just because there's more directions your imagination can take you when you aren't watching.

Although Dr. Who might be an option just for the sheer volume.
I only started [binge] watching BB from the beginning to catch up to then running last half of the final season, so I have pretty much seen it through in a close-to-perfect cadence. While I regard the show very highly, I don't think I could watch the whole show again, if ever. The show excelled in gripping storytelling and pacing, and once you know how it got to its spectacular conclusion, there won't be a similar payoff while watching it again, as you know exactly how things shake up. At least for me, there won't be quite the same suspense the second time over, and hence no replay value.

I can however watch Lost all over again, partly to relive the many superlative episodes (particularly those centered around Desmond) that still pack a real emotional punch. I'd love to go on that journey again sometime, this time with the A/V quality turned to the 11 on a BR disc set.

YMMV.
post #6021 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 PM

I also binge watched BB. Missed the first season or two, then started seeing a bunch of guys on AVS with similar tastes to mine raving about it. Then I waited until the series was done with its final season before starting it on Netflix. Unfortunately, when I heard the final season was upcoming - I never heard that there was actually going to be 2 smaller seasons. So when Netflix put up what I thought was the final season, I binged the whole thing. Then when I was done, I realized there were 8 episodes coming about 6 months later. I was pissed.

As far as it's "repeatability" goes, I talked the wife into watching the whole series just before the Final 8 to catch her up - and thoroughly enjoyed it the 2nd time. In a few months, I could probably watch it again.

Watching with a BB virgin makes it even more enjoyable. I see GOT the same way - a lot of fun to watch with someone who hasn't seen it yet. Their reactions make you remember the impact it had on you the first time you viewed it.
post #6022 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Does this mean you have a BB themed tat somewhere as well then?

ron
mgkdragn likes this.
post #6023 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post
Does this mean you have a BB themed tat somewhere as well then?

ron
You mean something like a "Say My Name!" tattoo under his belly button?
post #6024 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
You mean something like a "Say My Name!" tattoo under his belly button?
That's awesome!!
post #6025 of 6039 Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
GoT is just better quality. While BB is a great show, it just suffers from to many episodes and a story that gets created as they go.

GoT is based on books with a very clear story arc, its only 10 episodes per season and has an ensemble cast that keeps you much more in the dark on what's on the horizon.

Basically nothing can compete with Game of Thrones.
post #6026 of 6039 Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I enjoy GoT. I loved BB. The two are such fundementally different animals it's difficult to compare them except in that final category - how much did I "like" it? Knowing how limited my entertainment hours are, which would I choose for a repeat viewing?

For me it's no question: Walter frakking White! He is The One Who Knocks.

To pick up on CP's anecdote above, I'm doing the same thing right now. My wife is watching BB for the first time. She was watching it with her mother on Tuesday nights via Netflix, but her mom got Heisenberg fever and binged through the last two seasons on her own. Said she just couldn't help it. So, I had to sub in off the bench.

Watched the last few episodes of S-4 w/ Mrs. Archi last week including Gus's "vacation" in Mexico ( ) and "Face Off" ( ). They were just as awesome as the first time even though I knew what was coming. That's the mark of a great show.

I'll be getting the BB BD set and look forward to watching it again someday on a 110" screen in the new theater with the sound turned to "BIG". Woot! That should be a new way to experience the show. (Also plan on doing that with BSG - another all-time great series I could re-watch several times and enjoy it each time.)

Last edited by archiguy; 07-11-2014 at 05:42 AM.
post #6027 of 6039 Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Definitely in your opinion. BB IMHO is the greatest cable show ever done, especially when you consider that it didn't have the money that HBO put into the shows you mention.

But as others posted above, it's really apples and oranges to compare BB to GoT. Way too different.
mgkdragn likes this.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 07-11-2014 at 05:39 AM.
post #6028 of 6039 Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
GoT is just better quality. While BB is a great show, it just suffers from to many episodes and a story that gets created as they go.

GoT is based on books with a very clear story arc, its only 10 episodes per season and has an ensemble cast that keeps you much more in the dark on what's on the horizon.

Basically nothing can compete with Game of Thrones.
Again, in your opinion. I could make the equal case that GoT is way too scattered among too many plots (making it hard to keep up with for folks that haven't read the books), even though they are done very well.
post #6029 of 6039 Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
GOT but BB is up there, WW one of the best tv characters of all time. lol "Say my name" that scene was one of the coldest scenes i've seen on tv, i still get chills
post #6030 of 6039 Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Once I was able to get a nice, clean feed on HBOGO, the first thing I did was a binge watch on Deadwood, which I had not watched since the original series aired .. and although I'm with you on your comments, Deadwood fell apart in the last season, where BB essentially built up over 5 years to an incredible climax .. BB for the win, sorry ..

Tastes vary, and all shows you mention / Deadwood / BB / GOT / Empire .. are all great shows, it would be impossible to rate them even on greatness since we all have what we personally consider the "greatest"

This is the issue for me also. The high points on Deadwood were pure artistry, at a level I don't recall seeing in any other show. But Breaking Bad had a level of consistency *and* was able to stick the landing.

Deadwood is Babe Ruth. Breaking Bad is Joe DiMaggio.
mgkdragn and cardoski like this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page