'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 202 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #6031 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post
Does this mean you have a BB themed tat somewhere as well then?

ron
Yes, I'm a walking, talking billboard of TV show tattoos .. .. not ..

We're all pretty well just free wheelin' it here on the thread since season 4 ended, so I'll add to the collective .. the GOT tat was a theme that just lent itself to ink .. Faceless Man / Valar Morghulis / Valar Dohaeris .. in the context of "All Men Must Die" and "All Men Must Serve" .. I interpret to mean, we are all mortal and will die, we all have a Master, whether we like it or not .. that's my interpretation anyway, others could take it a different way .. I'm 65 so I am closer to the end than the beginning, you young whippersnappers ..

Now, a BB, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc tat, would, IMO be contrived and with little personal meaning, unless I was cooking the blue, fighting Walkers or belonged to SAMCRO ..

I like the made up language of High Valyrian, I like the young ladies that see the tat on my forearm and ooo and ahhh over it and I've known GRRM for many many years thru the convention circuit .. but mostly, I know "All Men Must Die" and "All Men Must Serve" are great, multi meaning phrases .. not to mention the spur of the moment GOT discussions with total strangers the ink invokes ..

That said, if I were to get a BB tat, which I won't .. it would be one of these :

"I've still got things left to do."
"We’re done when I say we’re done." .. done in the iconic "Periodic Table of the Elements" theme ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 135
In the end we are all talking about flavors of Ice Cream, all good. We are lucky to have so many outstanding shows to watch.

James Reid:D
post #6033 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
That said, if I were to get a BB tat, which I won't .. it would be one of these :

"We’re done when I say we’re done." .. done in the iconic "Periodic Table of the Elements" theme ..
Plenty of tasteful options.

Like this one:
cardoski likes this.
post #6034 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where the heck is the thumbs down when you need it .. ??
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 07-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #6035 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 858
The expression on that poor ba$tard getting the tatoo is why I've never gotten one.
post #6036 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Again, in your opinion. I could make the equal case that GoT is way too scattered among too many plots (making it hard to keep up with for folks that haven't read the books), even though they are done very well.

Let me put it this way.

Breaking bad has to many episodes per season, and Game of Thrones has to few.

I could remove half of BB episode and it wouldn't hurt the story. People that watched one episode a week maybe enjoy an extended story, but I watched all seasons in a month or two and the redundant part gets more obvious that way.
mr. wally likes this.
post #6037 of 6136 Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Yes, I'm a walking, talking billboard of TV show tattoos .. .. not ..

We're all pretty well just free wheelin' it here on the thread since season 4 ended, so I'll add to the collective .. the GOT tat was a theme that just lent itself to ink .. Faceless Man / Valar Morghulis / Valar Dohaeris .. in the context of "All Men Must Die" and "All Men Must Serve" .. I interpret to mean, we are all mortal and will die, we all have a Master, whether we like it or not .. that's my interpretation anyway, others could take it a different way .. I'm 65 so I am closer to the end than the beginning, you young whippersnappers ..

Now, a BB, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc tat, would, IMO be contrived and with little personal meaning, unless I was cooking the blue, fighting Walkers or belonged to SAMCRO ..

I like the made up language of High Valyrian, I like the young ladies that see the tat on my forearm and ooo and ahhh over it and I've known GRRM for many many years thru the convention circuit .. but mostly, I know "All Men Must Die" and "All Men Must Serve" are great, multi meaning phrases .. not to mention the spur of the moment GOT discussions with total strangers the ink invokes ..

Nice reasoning MD. Much better than some random Chinese characters or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The expression on that poor ba$tard getting the tatoo is why I've never gotten one.

Naw, everybody knows gingers are just soft crybabies . Seriously though, it's even on his butt! I've only got one tattoo that I've had for quite a long time and it's on my the side of my upper arm which I thought was barely discomfortable when I got it. I think the hard/bony locations like an ankle for instance, are supposed to be the worst apparently...

ron
post #6038 of 6136 Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 109
So, the new cast of characters have been announced for the 5th season - would posting the youtube link be considered a spoiler? There seem to be quite a lot of them, which, in my mind, means that a lot of them will end up dead by the end of the season
post #6039 of 6136 Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
So, the new cast of characters have been announced for the 5th season - would posting the youtube link be considered a spoiler? There seem to be quite a lot of them, which, in my mind, means that a lot of them will end up dead by the end of the season

Read about this earlier, some quality actors.

James Reid:D
post #6040 of 6136 Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

HBO is airing a behind the scenes piece soon .. just a half hour bit, but likely worth a look ...
gwsat likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #6041 of 6136 Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
HBO is airing a behind the scenes piece soon .. just a half hour bit, but likely worth a look ...
Thanx for that.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #6042 of 6136 Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Anyone see GoT at the IMAX?

https://www.imax.com/movies/m/game-o...odes-9-and-10/

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #6043 of 6136 Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The season 5 trailer is up:

A little better quality here:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152715877082734

ron
post #6044 of 6136 Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I did, mainly because I'm sitting in a rental house in Florida with a 32" TV for Jan-Feb to get away from the Minnesota winter and really miss my home theater. I don't have HBO, so I have watched Seasons 1-3 on blu-ray, but haven't yet seen season 4. So I saw the IMAX season 4 episodes 9 & 10 without seeing season 4 episodes 1-8. But the story wasn't difficult to follow and it felt like I hadn't missed much not seeing those episodes first.

I was not very impressed with the picture quality. That may have been largely due to episode 9 taking place almost entirely at night with everything in shades of gray with very little color. Before these episodes started, they showed at least six trailers, all for big sci-fi movies coming in the next 6 months. All of those seemed to have much more vibrant colors, sharper images, and deeper blacks than these episodes.

At home, the screen for my front-projection system is 102" diagonal for 16:9 HD and my first row of seats is about 9.5 feet back. The picture quality from the blu-rays on my setup seemed a lot better than what I saw on the IMAX.

Bottomline, if you have a large format setup at home, I would say going to the IMAX is probably not worth it. If you only have a modest-sized TV at home, then it might be worth going just for the fun of seeing it on the big screen.

Duane
post #6045 of 6136 Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
I did, mainly because I'm sitting in a rental house in Florida with a 32" TV for Jan-Feb to get away from the Minnesota winter and really miss my home theater. I don't have HBO, so I have watched Seasons 1-3 on blu-ray, but haven't yet seen season 4. So I saw the IMAX season 4 episodes 9 & 10 without seeing season 4 episodes 1-8. But the story wasn't difficult to follow and it felt like I hadn't missed much not seeing those episodes first.

I was not very impressed with the picture quality. That may have been largely due to episode 9 taking place almost entirely at night with everything in shades of gray with very little color. Before these episodes started, they showed at least six trailers, all for big sci-fi movies coming in the next 6 months. All of those seemed to have much more vibrant colors, sharper images, and deeper blacks than these episodes.

At home, the screen for my front-projection system is 102" diagonal for 16:9 HD and my first row of seats is about 9.5 feet back. The picture quality from the blu-rays on my setup seemed a lot better than what I saw on the IMAX.

Bottomline, if you have a large format setup at home, I would say going to the IMAX is probably not worth it. If you only have a modest-sized TV at home, then it might be worth going just for the fun of seeing it on the big screen.

Duane
Thanks for the info. I have pj setup too. Was on the fence about seeing this at the 'Max. Glad I didn't.

post #6046 of 6136 Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is an interesting read (don't worry, no spoilers):
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/w...itching-books/

post #6047 of 6136 Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Thanx for that.
Yeah, thanks indeed. I am sorely in need of a Game of Thrones fix. Can hardly wait for April12! This has been such an amazing series, I wonder before the start of every new season whether they can maintain their sterling record. So far so good, though.
Ph8te likes this.
post #6048 of 6136 Old 02-07-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am sorely in need of a Game of Thrones fix.
I don't know why, but this season's wait seems to be longer than most.
Perhaps it's because there are so few (relatively) episodes per year.
Every season-ender elicits a pi$$ & moan reaction from me.

post #6049 of 6136 Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn! I need to figure out how to switch my free Starz to HBO. Have a feeling this may be an uphill battle.

post #6050 of 6136 Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That "Day In The Life" of shooting Game Of Thrones was exceptionally interesting. Watch it if you can.
post #6051 of 6136 Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Damn! I need to figure out how to switch my free Starz to HBO. Have a feeling this may be an uphill battle.
As the Tip of the Spear of an invasion of Earth, I think you can figure it out.

post #6052 of 6136 Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
That "Day In The Life" of shooting Game Of Thrones was exceptionally interesting. Watch it if you can.

It was worth while, sure .. but I don't know if I'd personally call it exceptional .. it was nice to see the locations and get a feel for the production work, but with the thing coming in at something over 20 minutes in actual viewing time, it was just a taste .. however, I did come away with a fairly good idea what direction things will be going ..

Uncle Willie

post #6053 of 6136 Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Only got to S3 so far. How many season of GOT is possible seeing that HBO has exhausted all the books already?
post #6054 of 6136 Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Only got to S3 so far. How many season of GOT is possible seeing that HBO has exhausted all the books already?

My advice to you, friend, is to not delve into the word "book" on this particular thread ..

Uncle Willie

post #6055 of 6136 Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Where did you get the idea that all the material in the books has been shown in the series? It has not.
Ph8te likes this.
post #6056 of 6136 Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
The plan is for 7 seasons....thats not definate but its the current plan.

post #6057 of 6136 Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

per HBO:

Episode #41: “The Wars to Come”
Cersei and Jaime adjust to a world without Tywin. Varys reveals a conspiracy to Tyrion. Dany faces a new threat to her rule. Jon is caught between two kings.
(Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N]

Episode #42: “The House of Black and White”
Arya arrives in Braavos. Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road. Cersei fears for her daughter’s safety in Dorne as Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn’s death. Stannis tempts Jon. An adviser tempts Dany.
(Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TVMA) [AC, AL, V]

Episode #43: “High Sparrow”
In Braavos, Arya sees the Many-Faced God. In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband. Tyrion and Varys walk the Long Bridge of Volantis.
(Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N]

Episode #44: "The Sons Of The Harpy"
No plot synopsis released.

Ohhh no nudity flag in #42.

Last edited by dcowboy7; 03-09-2015 at 09:36 AM.
post #6058 of 6136 Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Just a suggestion...
Yeah, I know it is "per HBO," but some of us want to go in blind.
holt7153 likes this.

post #6059 of 6136 Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

https://twitter.com/iTunesTV/status/574981199099076608

New Season 5 trailer.

Last edited by dcowboy7; 03-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #6060 of 6136 Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 140
HBO Now, the standalone streaming service for the cable television network, will arrive in April on Apple devices and computers, HBO CEO Richard Plepler announced at an Apple event today.

"HBO continues to be in discussions with its existing network of distributors and new digital partners to offer HBO Now," according to a press release from HBO. "At launch, HBO Now will be available on iOS devices and on PCs."

A new HBO app compatible with Apple TV, iPhone and iPad will arrive in April, in time for the Game of Thrones season five premiere on April 12. HBO Now will cost $14.99 per month, and those who subscribe in the first month will get that month free. According to the HBO CEO, the service will include "all our acclaimed HBO programming, past, present and future, as well as our unmatched lineup of Hollywood blockbusters."

http://news.yahoo.com/hbo-now-stream...1UC0kA1nYlnIlQ

668...The Neighbor of the Beast
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page