'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 213 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6361 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It was good to see the old Tyrion back instead of mopey, drunk Tyrion, if only for a few minutes. I guess he's still haunted by memories of his old flame so he couldn't continue. The evolution of the two Stark girls and John Snow will be interesting to see. And Margaery taking control of King's Landing was great. Oh, and Brienne and Pod's scene was poignant.
There were several wonderful exchanges in this week's episode. I agree that Brienne's explanation of how she came to devote herself to Renly was moving. Thought the whole scene was brilliantly written.

I also enjoyed Littlefinger's life lesson to Sansa, used to convince her to accept Ramsay Bolton, and worry about getting even later. Man, Sansa seems unable to stay out of the path of diminutive psychopaths. By comparison, Ramsay makes Joffrey seem to have been almost benevolent.

I have loved all the scenes between Tyrion and Varys. Even a mopey drunk Tyrion is eloquent and they don't get much better on that score than Varys.
gwsat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6362 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
Member
 
HairyBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Three episodes in and I find myself saying "GET ON WITH IT!"
HairyBee is offline  
post #6363 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Why do you figure Tyrion couldn't get it on with the whore? I was thinking maybe it was because he was honoring his wedding vows. Or is it because of how his last relationship with a whore ended?

I was really hoping that Arya wasn't going to throw Needle into the sea; glad to see she didn't. If she only gets one piece of her former life to hold onto, I'm glad that Needle is it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Very good episode, a flashback of season one was seen.
What flashback? I don't recall any flashbacks.

cuzzin is online now  
post #6364 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
Three episodes in and I find myself saying "GET ON WITH IT!"
Really! I have found that this season has advanced the story with amazing speed. Have you watched the series from the beginning? There are so many characters and so many threads that often it isn't easy to tell the players without a scorecard.
bidger, Ph8te, John dhein and 1 others like this.
gwsat is offline  
post #6365 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
Why do you figure Tyrion couldn't get it on with the whore? I was thinking maybe it was because he was honoring his wedding vows. Or is it because of how his last relationship with a whore ended?

I was really hoping that Arya wasn't going to throw Needle into the sea; glad to see she didn't. If she only gets one piece of her former life to hold onto, I'm glad that Needle is it.




What flashback? I don't recall any flashbacks.

It was more of the latter. He still loves Shea even though she betrayed him. He still isn't quite over that relationship just yet. Having another "whore" that was dark haired and witty like she was just further reminded him of his recent loss.

The flashback was the execution scene. The execution John carried out was almost a mirror image of the one Ned carried out season 1.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is offline  
post #6366 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Really! I have found that this season has advanced the story with amazing speed. Have you watched the series from the beginning? There are so many characters and so many threads that often it isn't easy to tell the players without a scorecard.

Agreed the character development has been very good thus far and this last episode was the best so far IMO. Rushing these things is never a good thing.


Sent from nowhere
acebreathe likes this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #6367 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Member
 
HairyBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes I have watched from the beginning and I find the pacing for this season painfully slow. Three episodes of Tyrion whining with just a little change at the end of this one. The John Snow/Stark was dragging until the beheading of the insubordinant. The Dragon queen was slow in the first episode and good in the second.

Maybe I'm just in the minority. I just see the season as having been 30 percent passed and not much going on. IMO too much exposition...
HairyBee is offline  
post #6368 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
Maybe I'm just in the minority. I just see the season as having been 30 percent passed and not much going on. IMO too much exposition...
That only means that 90% of the season's effects budget is being spent on the episodes to come... just think of how epic that will be!

Although lacking in action, I actually found the most recent episode quite enthralling to watch, seeing the plot advance and how the different pieces are advancing.

I must say that Tommen is one lucky little kid - it was also quite telling when he mentions that he doesn't feel guilty about what happened to his brother. I think he has a little devil inside him as well.
tezster is offline  
post #6369 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The flashback was the execution scene. The execution John carried out was almost a mirror image of the one Ned carried out season 1.
Ah. So more of a parallel then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I must say that Tommen is one lucky little kid - it was also quite telling when he mentions that he doesn't feel guilty about what happened to his brother. I think he has a little devil inside him as well.
I don't think it makes someone evil to not mourn a psychopath like Joffrey. Tommen has mentioned how terrible his brother was to him and Ser Pounce. About that consummation scene between Tommen and Margaery, I wonder if the reason the actress remained clothed was due to the kid's age.
cuzzin is online now  
post #6370 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 12,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I'm in agreement, so far this season has been just moving pieces around the board. It reminds me of season one in a lot of ways with it's distinct lack of urgency or immediate goals. It was only when Ned died and a war began that the storylines began to move.

The show needs to point someone in the direction of an imminent threat or major cause, because after defeating the Wildling invasion, overthrowing a city, escaping from Whitewalkers, defending King's Landing from invasion ... and various other threats to rule and peace, nobody seems to be doing anything but talking about what happened last year.

Only Brienne seems to have a goal and since she has failed to achieve it with all the children even her current motivation is lacking impetus now.


VisionOn is offline  
post #6371 of 6372 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
Ah. So more of a parallel then.









I don't think it makes someone evil to not mourn a psychopath like Joffrey. Tommen has mentioned how terrible his brother was to him and Ser Pounce. About that consummation scene between Tommen and Margaery, I wonder if the reason the actress remained clothed was due to the kid's age.

Yes it was a parallel, I should have been more clear, I had a flashback to season 1 when watching the scene.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is offline  
post #6372 of 6372 Unread Today, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I'm in agreement, so far this season has been just moving pieces around the board. It reminds me of season one in a lot of ways with it's distinct lack of urgency or immediate goals. It was only when Ned died and a war began that the storylines began to move.

The show needs to point someone in the direction of an imminent threat or major cause, because after defeating the Wildling invasion, overthrowing a city, escaping from Whitewalkers, defending King's Landing from invasion ... and various other threats to rule and peace, nobody seems to be doing anything but talking about what happened last year.

Only Brienne seems to have a goal and since she has failed to achieve it with all the children even her current motivation is lacking impetus now.
I see your point, but I see it more as the early part of a chess game.

All of the characters are being moved into place and I'm really pleased by their development. Jon, Sansa and even Tyrion are evolving and a brand new family in the south is being introduced.

No problem, since usually past seasons have taken their time early on to set the stage.
hernanu is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off