'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 216 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6451 of 6464 Old 05-01-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
From what we've seen so far, I would liken Arya's current scenario to Military Basic Training .. they take away all your personal goods, outfit you with their stuff, and proceed to erase as much as possible your own way of thinking .. breaking you down in order to build you back up .. at least, that's what Basic Training was for me back in the 1960's ..
Seems obvious and I like the script on this. Same in the early 70s BTW (Fort Polk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Seems obvious and I like the script on this. Same in the early 70s BTW (Fort Polk)
Fort Knox Kentucky 1976. Just had a friend call me after finishing up basic. She knew some of my tales and said some of the discipline is the same but basic has changed dramatically since then. If you went thru it in the 60-70's you'll remember there was no mercy.
post #6453 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Seems obvious [breaking you down to build you back up as someone else]
But isn't Arya destined to eventually enter the fray, aka "The Game of Thrones"...? How can she do that if she becomes "faceless", loses who she really is, and abandons her destiny?
post #6454 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
But isn't Arya destined to eventually enter the fray, aka "The Game of Thrones"...? How can she do that if she becomes "faceless", loses who she really is, and abandons her destiny?

Not necessarily, we don't know her destiny and it may not be to play in the Game of Thrones for a crown. She could play a part by being part of the faceless men.

Sent from nowhere
Phil17108 likes this.
post #6455 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Coincidentally .. Ft Polk as well .. July/August 1966 .. we actually had 3 guys die during training .. heatstroke from wearing full gear in the heat and humidity .. there was little mercy .. if you could not get thru a part of a days training, you did not eat .. during pugil stick training, I was paired up with a guy that was of similar build as Sandor Clegane .. and he proceeded to beat me senseless and bloody with no intervention by the Drill Sarg .. strangely, I still feel it was a worthwhile experience and would not trade it .. when I completed Ranger training, I felt invincible .. sorry, just the ramblings of an old man ..
Phil17108 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6456 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Not necessarily, we don't know her destiny and it may not be to play in the Game of Thrones for a crown. She could play a part by being part of the faceless men.

Sent from nowhere
So true and Arya is a northerner and a blood line that extends back for thousands of years and more. The old Kings of the North. It's in her blood. What is it they say The North Remembers. I think she does to. To what end that takes her to is why I watch the show.
post #6457 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
So true and Arya is a northerner and a blood line that extends back for thousands of years and more. The old Kings of the North. It's in her blood. What is it they say The North Remembers. I think she does to. To what end that takes her to is why I watch the show.

If I recall correctly, Season One, Episode One .. Arya being completely bored doing some sort of "needlework" embroidery and later besting the boys during the male archery practice .. later, I began to realize these two scenes were key elements .. while I don't cotton to the physical blood flowing thru anyone to be a determining factor of anything, the pride, family history and most importantly what is learned thru your upbringing makes a difference ..

Stick 'em with the pointy end
John dhein and Phil17108 like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6458 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Season One, Episode One .. Arya being completely bored doing some sort of "needlework" embroidery and later besting the boys during the male archery practice .. later, I began to realize these two scenes were key elements .. while I don't cotton to the physical blood flowing thru anyone to be a determining factor of anything, the pride, family history and most importantly what is learned thru your upbringing makes a difference ..

Stick 'em with the pointy end
You are a 100% right. The little curtsy she gave Bran said it all. Her in the half helm watching the King coming to Winterfell and then trying to get away with it at the reception was a huot. I had one just like her 30 + years ago. She would not back down from anything.

And she did stick them with the pointy end as Jon Snow told her.
post #6459 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I made a prediction long ago. Arya will get a contract, as a "Faceless man" to kill someone like Tyrion or Khalessi. Her failure/success in completing the mission will be one of the last parts of the epic.
post #6460 of 6464 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I do remember that only there was no mention of the faceless men. I just would have to wonder who knows Ayra is in Braavos or would care. Ayra's story line is one of change. There is know one that want's her other then maybe the Boltons and they think they have Sansa's signed sealed and delivered. I just don't think they will be around long enough for Ayra to show up at Winderfell not that it would do them any good. I think that she may aspirations far greater then just becoming a faceless assassin. First a girl must become know one before she becomes some one real special.
post #6461 of 6464 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Coincidentally .. Ft Polk as well .. July/August 1966 .. we actually had 3 guys die during training .. heatstroke from wearing full gear in the heat and humidity .. there was little mercy .. if you could not get thru a part of a days training, you did not eat .. during pugil stick training, I was paired up with a guy that was of similar build as Sandor Clegane .. and he proceeded to beat me senseless and bloody with no intervention by the Drill Sarg .. strangely, I still feel it was a worthwhile experience and would not trade it .. when I completed Ranger training, I felt invincible .. sorry, just the ramblings of an old man ..
Same here, you did good getting home, I hope in one piece. I was in the show in 68/69 and volunteer at the Long Beach VA health care system 3 half day's per week. Thanks for your service and do not call it ramblings of an old man.
post #6462 of 6464 Old Today, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 692
And just when things started getting good with a dramatic moment that promised to push the show into higher gear ... it was over.

A ridiculously short episode. What was that? 47 minutes of actual content?

post #6463 of 6464 Old Today, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not at all - ramble on sir!
My best memory was Bivouac weekend. How to strip a small animal (with a live demo against a tree) and the night trek through a corridor where you can get caught and placed in a POW holding area with a little abuse waiting. I made it. The first night, a Coon pulled my bag across a ridge and everything in it to retrieve a small pac of RTE choc. Everyone laughed at me for not waking up in my tent. Strong little guys in LA

Oh, and yeah, there were a few guys who got the Sht beat out of them - but mostly by Junior DIs on weak nums. 72 here, so I missed the cut of 60s goodness.

You have my respect - I skipped the pass to Leesville in the last 2 weeks

Last edited by thedeskE; Today at 07:43 PM.
post #6464 of 6464 Old Today, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Fort Knox Kentucky 1976. Just had a friend call me after finishing up basic. She knew some of my tales and said some of the discipline is the same but basic has changed dramatically since then. If you went thru it in the 60-70's you'll remember there was no mercy.
It was a mix when I was there.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com