'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
who in this thread has read the books?...mgkdragn and Ph8te?...I haven't but after each episode airs I do like to read about how it compares to the books and/or what things were changed or deleted on certain websites/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
who in this thread has read the books?...mgkdragn and Ph8te?...I haven't but after each episode airs I do like to read about how it compares to the books and/or what things were changed or deleted on certain websites/forums

I'm halfway through book 3 only. If you don't want spoilers but still want comparisons I suggest listening to the following podcasts Cast of Kings, Watch The Throne and teevee (the incomparable). I don't have any future knowledge nor do I want any.

Sent from nowhere
TitusTroy likes this.
post #6603 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 127
So Tyrion is going to see if Dany is for real so he can do what, offer her undying loyalty?

Dany doesn't really need Tyrion. He might have been an ambassador between Kings Landing and Dany but he has no standing in KL, since Cersei wants him dead.

Why did the bald eunuch want him to meet Dany and where is he, now that Tyrion was abducted. Jorah seems to think Dany would want to meet the imp but maybe he doesn't know Tyrion is on the outs, fugitive from KL with a price on his head.

Anyways, if Tyrion needed convincing, seeing that giant dragon flying over should be enough. What else is left, to see if Dany is ruthless enough? Or would be a wise leader?
post #6604 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
I have read all of the books but will reserve comment on how closely the series does, or does not follow the books, especially in this forum. I enjoy watching the series as a separate storyline from the books. Both stand on their own very well. However, without spoiling anything, Series 1 followed the first book very closely. Now, I don't know about anyone else but I really enjoyed the bbq scene with the dragons last Sunday. That was awesome!
Ph8te, John dhein and Tiki Steve like this.
post #6605 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So Tyrion is going to see if Dany is for real so he can do what, offer her undying loyalty?

Dany doesn't really need Tyrion. He might have been an ambassador between Kings Landing and Dany but he has no standing in KL, since Cersei wants him dead.

Why did the bald eunuch want him to meet Dany and where is he, now that Tyrion was abducted. Jorah seems to think Dany would want to meet the imp but maybe he doesn't know Tyrion is on the outs, fugitive from KL with a price on his head.

Anyways, if Tyrion needed convincing, seeing that giant dragon flying over should be enough. What else is left, to see if Dany is ruthless enough? Or would be a wise leader?

Did you miss a season?

Varys was bringing Tyrion to Danny so that he could be her "hand" of sorts. She may have a lot of power, but she is not skilled at leadership. When it comes to "the game" Tyrion is exceedingly skilled. He would be a very good asset to have on her side. He would never had been an ambassador, BUT those not in power know the sacrifices he made and contributions in saving KL from being sacked.

Jorah is/was taking Tyrion to Danny as a "gift" his family after all is responsible for setting the assassination attempts as well as the death of much of her family. This "gift" would be used to get back in her good graces after being banished for working for the Lannisters via middle man Varys.

Tyrion didn't need any convincing. It is one thing to talk and hear about Dragons, it is a totally different thing to actually see one. Remember many of the people alive today have not seen a living dragon.

Sent from nowhere
post #6606 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hmm, yes he found out about blackwater just in time.

But that's like a lucky half court shot, not necessarily sustained excellence.

Poor Jorah, he's doomed. Forget why she banished him now.
post #6607 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

there's been a lot of build up over the first 4 episodes...Episode 5 started the path to paying off and I'm looking forward to the final 5 episodes...I actually enjoy the 'slower' episodes a lot...the big dragon scenes, battles etc are great but this show has so many well defined, interesting characters that just hearing them talk is almost as good
post #6608 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:
Hmm, yes he found out about blackwater just in time.

But that's like a lucky half court shot, not necessarily sustained excellence.

Poor Jorah, he's doomed. Forget why she banished him now.

Blackwater as well as leading the ground battle when Jeoffey chickened out. He basically planned everything it was no lucky shot. Not to mention he is well versed at diplomacy.

I just told you why she banished him. Sir Barriston who just died informed Danny that Jorah was spying for the Lannisters the entire time. He did this to restore himself and gain back what he lost when he was disgraced and basically banished from Westeros.

Sent from nowhere
post #6609 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I just told you why she banished him. Sir Barriston who just died informed Danny that Jorah was spying for the Lannisters the entire time. He did this to restore himself and gain back what he lost when he was disgraced and basically banished from Westeros.

I think Ser Barriston told Jorah to tell Dany about his betrayal after he saw the pardon that Tywin purposely sent to him...I don't think Barriston told Dany about it
post #6610 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think Ser Barriston told Jorah to tell Dany about his betrayal after he saw the pardon that Tywin purposely sent to him...I don't think Barriston told Dany about it

That was back in season 3? Jorah didn't confess until Barriston brought it up in front of her. He also had the proof. I'll have to go back to the episode, but I'm almost certain Barriston was the one who told and Jorah confessed but tried to cover himself. She didn't want to hear it and banished him.

Sent from nowhere
Tiki Steve likes this.
post #6611 of 7706 Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was back in season 3? Jorah didn't confess until Barriston brought it up in front of her. He also had the proof. I'll have to go back to the episode, but I'm almost certain Barriston was the one who told and Jorah confessed but tried to cover himself. She didn't want to hear it and banished him.

Season 4...my memory on it is different...but you might be right...I remember Barriston getting the pardon and confronting Jorah outside...then I remember Jorah and Dany's conversation where he apologized but got banished anyway
post #6612 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's up with Stannis being the grammar police? Just showing he is educated?
post #6613 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Probably just one of his quirks. He may be a stickler for that type of thing.

Sent from nowhere
post #6614 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post
reminds me of this joke

Nazi 1: we are mining too many ores
Nazi 2: mine less, then
Grammar Nazi: mine FEWER!
Hitler: yeah?
post #6615 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Probably just one of his quirks. He may be a stickler for that type of thing.
Is there anything Stannis isn't a stickler for? Remember his #2 saved his castle smuggling in onions & Stannis thanked him by only taking off the tips of his fingers. Yeah, he's a little bit of a stickler for rules. Any rules...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #6616 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Stanis has become an intriguing character. I had originally thought that his rigidity limited him more than has turned to be the case. I still think Stanis' lack of flexibility may be his undoing but am starting to understand what the Onion Knight sees in him. I have particularly enjoyed Stanis' scenes with his greyscale scarred daughter. There relationship is compelling and often moving.

The show keeps getting better and better, it seems to me.
DaMavs, John dhein and cardoski like this.
post #6617 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I want to add that I do not see Stanis as being inflexible.

He seems much more willing to try different things, (New God/using the Wildings) than any other leader.
Tack and Ph8te like this.
post #6618 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 90
They definitely seem to have made Stannis much more likeable and relatable this season. Probably means that he will snuffed out soon!
post #6619 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I want to add that I do not see Stanis as being inflexible.

He seems much more willing to try different things, (New God/using the Wildings) than any other leader.
I've always been a fan of "firm but fair" Stannis. Plus, when the Onion Knight is your sidekick, you can't lose. He just needs to wrap Melisandre's lunch in a roadmap and the sky's the limit.
post #6620 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
I agree Stannis is becoming a more intriguing character .. and, he obviously likes Jon and has built up a great respect for Jon ..

The fact that at the Battle of Blackwater, Stannis was the first to land, first to the walls and first to climb, without shield or helmet, clearly showed he is a very brave man .. I think that's one of the reasons he respects Jon .. and I would guess it's not easy to gain the respect of Stannis ..

Stannis converting to The Lord of Light and being convinced Melisandre's Black Magic is the key to the Throne, to me anyway, is a mistake ..

Davos, especially since he became educated, makes a great 2nd .. it was Davos that convinced the Iron Bank to front Stannis the cash, convincing them Stannis was a better bet than the Lannisters ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6621 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I absolutley loved the scene when Tyrion was in the boat and looked up and saw Dragon flying above. That gave me goosebumps. Awesome...
cardoski likes this.
post #6622 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

not just Stannis alone, so many of the characters have grown into way more likable characters- Stannis, Sansa, Podrick, Jon Snow etc...I don't think I've ever seen a show where the characters have grown so much from where they started
post #6623 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Season 4...my memory on it is different...but you might be right...I remember Barriston getting the pardon and confronting Jorah outside...then I remember Jorah and Dany's conversation where he apologized but got banished anyway
If memory serves, they showed the flashback to the poisoned wine incident prior to that episode.
post #6624 of 7706 Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Dany wants the Westeros throne. Initially she had two advisors who knew Westeros. Now one is banished, the other dead. The banished one is heading back to her but now has greyscale. As to Tyron, he hates Cersei and wants to bring her down. Plus he's extremely talented and would make an excellent advisor. As a guess, he'll probably have to face the dragons before she accepts him.
post #6625 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
Dany wants the Westeros throne. Initially she had two advisors who knew Westeros. Now one is banished, the other dead. The banished one is heading back to her but now has greyscale. As to Tyron, he hates Cersei and wants to bring her down. Plus he's extremely talented and would make an excellent advisor. As a guess, he'll probably have to face the dragons before she accepts him.
Something tells me that Drogon will take a liking to him.
post #6626 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Who else thinks, we might see a threesome between Ramsey, Sansa and Miranda? The way Ramsey asked Miranda, if she found Sansa beautiful, too and her reaction to that... sounds promising.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #6627 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Who else thinks, we might see a threesome between Ramsey, Sansa and Miranda? The way Ramsey asked Miranda, if she found Sansa beautiful, too and her reaction to that... sounds promising.
No way in Hell .. It looks to me Sansa has already begun forming a correct opinion of Ramsay ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6628 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Who Goes Next?

Here we are about halfway through the season and nobody has been killed. Somebody is surely slated to get it soon. My guess is Stannis based on how the script is starting to make him likable. But who knows.
post #6629 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
Here we are about halfway through the season and nobody has been killed.
Yep, just a nobody named Selmy.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.

Last edited by Turrican4D; 05-14-2015 at 01:47 PM.
post #6630 of 7706 Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Yep, just a nobody named Belmy.

And a nobody named Mance.....

Sent from nowhere
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page