'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
I don't get this. Cersei is guilty for having sex with Lancel, but Lancel gets off scott free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
He cut a deal with the DA and turned States Evidence ..

Basically this ^^, he has been confessing his sins and really Lancel was a pawn and used by Cersi. he has been carrying out the good word and confessed his sins.

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 738
post #6843 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Poor Cersi......just kidding, saw this coming all the way. Never a good idea to hitch yourself to the religious zealot wagon.

On a more technical note, is this not the most beautifully shot TV show ever? Really spectacular in my batcave on the big screen.

One of two shows I record on my DVR and allow myself to watch in my theater. The audio is also matching the video portions.
cardoski likes this.
post #6844 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Basically this ^^, he has been confessing his sins and really Lancel was a pawn and used by Cersi. he has been carrying out the good word and confessed his sins.

Sent from nowhere
Also he said to littlefinger he abandoned the family name and gave up all material posessions. Plus he carved a crazy person symbol in is face. That's good penance I'm sure.
post #6845 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
On a more technical note, is this not the most beautifully shot TV show ever? Really spectacular in my batcave on the big screen.

agreed...but this season I've noticed an unusually high number of really dark scenes/areas...the House of Black and White is almost too dark and distracts from the amazing set design...the scenes at Castle Black and other dark interiors have also been causing some black crush on my screen...it's not my TV settings as I never have an issue with black levels on any other TV show or Blu-ray (I have a professionally calibrated VT30 plasma).
post #6846 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Yeah I thought it was my TV too.

But actually I streamed the same recording to the Tivo app. on my iPad and the House of Black and White wasn't as crushed as on my Panny plasma.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #6847 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah I thought it was my TV too.
There's been a few times this season where I paused the show to check the lamp hours on my PJ bulb.

In dog beers, I've only had one.
post #6848 of 7676 Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
agreed...but this season I've noticed an unusually high number of really dark scenes/areas...the House of Black and White is almost too dark and distracts from the amazing set design...the scenes at Castle Black and other dark interiors have also been causing some black crush on my screen...it's not my TV settings as I never have an issue with black levels on any other TV show or Blu-ray (I have a professionally calibrated VT30 plasma).
The problem isn't black crush but the nor fine enough pwm noise in the shades near black on your VT30 The ZT60 or VT60 could bring the picture more to life within the house of B & W.
TitusTroy likes this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #6849 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last two or three episodes have been the best of the entire show, let alone season. This is fast becoming my favourite season.
post #6850 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

when Sansa tells Theon to light the candle in the tower does Theon go to the tower and Ramsay just happens to be sitting there or did he not go to the tower at all and instead go to wherever Ramsay is staying in Winterfell?...that scene was confusing because it looks like he's going to the tower as the camera even lingers on the candle in his pocket as he's going up the stairs but what would Ramsay be doing inside there
post #6851 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
One of two shows I record on my DVR and allow myself to watch in my theater. The audio is also matching the video portions.
for another beautifully shot show in a very different genre and setting, see The Knick. Photographed and directed and Steven Soderbergh.
Keenan, cardoski and Franky62 like this.
post #6852 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post
I brought up Gendry as a possibility for the "handome young man" for a couple reasons:
IF the high sparrow had all the info from Lancel, that eliminated him
Gendry is possible proof of Cersei and Jaimies incestuous relationship. Isn't that why they were to be hunted down and killed (Roberts bastards) to eliminate any possible proof?
Regarding that shifty kid-there's been far too many close ups and shots of him this season for him to not have an important scene coming up. He's already killed Ygritte, i could see some type of betrayal of Jon possibly. He certainly did not accept Jon's explanation of the wilding situation.
I don't know whom LF gave to olenna but it is most likely not lancel. The sparrow said he'd been spilling his guts ever since he joined therm. The sparrow had lancel in his back pocket all the time and was just waiting for the right time to play him.
post #6853 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

This episode is a huge improvement over last. I like how things moved quickly that could have gotten dragged out over one or more episodes, like Tyrion and Dany meeting, sparrow confronting Cersei. The only weak scene was the sand snake sexposition which seemed kind of pointless. Oh I poisoned you but I'll let you have the antidote after you drool over my breasts. Ok, done. Feel free to torture ME any time, lady.
post #6854 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I find it a little difficult to believe that there is no connection between LF and Olenna's conversation, followed by Lancel's "confession" and Cersei's imprisonment. I suppose it's possible, but this would be quite super-sized misdirection by the writers if it were the case. Are people discounting this idea because it's just too obvious?
Phil17108 likes this.
post #6855 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
when Sansa tells Theon to light the candle in the tower does Theon go to the tower and Ramsay just happens to be sitting there or did he not go to the tower at all and instead go to wherever Ramsay is staying in Winterfell?...that scene was confusing because it looks like he's going to the tower as the camera even lingers on the candle in his pocket as he's going up the stairs but what would Ramsay be doing inside there
He went straight to Ramsay to snitch. Ramsay was not sitting in a ruined tower, he was sitting in his room. Just look at the background next time you watch.

Clever editing.
cajieboy, Ph8te, TitusTroy and 1 others like this.
post #6856 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Yes my JVC X500 has been getting a real workout but manages to show detail in even the darkest scenes,those are some fancy cameras they are using.

James Reid:D
post #6857 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I find it a little difficult to believe that there is no connection between LF and Olenna's conversation, followed by Lancel's "confession" and Cersei's imprisonment. I suppose it's possible, but this would be quite super-sized misdirection by the writers if it were the case. Are people discounting this idea because it's just too obvious?
I don't think it was any misdirection .. LF was just late in his "reveal" to Lady Olenna .. or maybe he revealed some other tidbit of which we have yet to be shown ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6858 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
& the blurays look/sound even better - they use arri alexa digital which are feature film quality cameras & evidently are excellent.

They even got it to IMAX earlier this yr without alot of cleanup needed.

post #6859 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
& the blurays look/sound even better - they use arri alexa digital which are feature film quality cameras & evidently are excellent.
Although the PQ on my HBO feed is pretty good, the GOT's BD's are just flat out stunning .. at 120" and 7.2, even though it's an overused term, it's almost like being there ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6860 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Although the PQ on my HBO feed is pretty good, the GOT's BD's are just flat out stunning .. at 120" and 7.2, even though it's an overused term, it's almost like being there ..
Ya I have every released season on BD, they are among the best looking BD I have. I know what you mean about being there, my room is head to toe black velvet so it is pretty dam immersive.

post #6861 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ya I have every released season on BD, they are among the best looking BD I have. I know what you mean about being there, my room is head to toe black velvet so it is pretty dam immersive.
While I did not go full on black, my walls and room are done up pretty dark .. and fully light controlled .. if I remember correctly, you use a PJ as well .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #6862 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While I did not go full on black, my walls and room are done up pretty dark .. and fully light controlled .. if I remember correctly, you use a PJ as well .. ??

Yes I have a JVC X500/4910 and a 115in unity screen with masking for 2.35 content.

post #6863 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Devil's advocate: I believed the same at first. But in episode 1 of this season Lancel told Cersei he unburdened his soul of all his sins and she should do the same. So the high septin already knew about Lancel and Cersei. LF may have told Olenna something else regarding the many situations going on. IDK. I'll watch and see.
post #6864 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Devil's advocate: I believed the same at first. But in episode 1 of this season Lancel told Cersei he unburdened his soul of all his sins and she should do the same. So the high septin already knew about Lancel and Cersei. LF may have told Olenna something else regarding the many situations going on. IDK. I'll watch and see.
You're right, of course. I suppose my train of thought is more along the lines of, seeing as Cersei is already in a bit of a pickle... how will LF further benefit from whatever information he passed on to Olenna?
post #6865 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They even got it to IMAX earlier this yr without alot of cleanup needed.

every season on Blu-ray is reference quality...I don't know why they don't get much love in the AVS PQ/AQ Tier rankings thread...they belong in Tier 1 at worst and Tier 0 at best...from the darkest blacks to the amazing cinematography, set design, CGI/special effects and color the show is on par with a lot of big budget feature films...I've said it in other forums but the design and details on the dragons are the best I've ever seen- better then Smoug from the Hobbit movies and any other movie for that matter
cardoski likes this.
post #6866 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
The only weak scene was the sand snake sexposition which seemed kind of pointless.
No, that was the best (or only good) scene!!! I complain only about the teasing camera - two times it goes down her body and both times they cut off at the last moment. The sandsnakes redeemed themselves with this scene.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #6867 of 7676 Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
You're right, of course. I suppose my train of thought is more along the lines of, seeing as Cersei is already in a bit of a pickle... how will LF further benefit from whatever information he passed on to Olenna?
I just can't fantom it but could the name be Jon Snow. Sansa did not know of Jon's rank and I am sure that Jon's name is not on anyone's lips in the South, but I guess from what Ramsey said about it Load Commander is a big big deal. I watch the conversation with Petyr Baelish and Olenna Redwyne with not a word about a reference to what? It's the future they where talking about. What information could Petyr come up with that would be of much value to the planers and powers of the South really care much about? Jon Snow could be that future. He sure fits the description of the handsome young man. Sorta far out, then again a lot of The Song of Ice and Fire is.
post #6868 of 7676 Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 165
5.4 million viewers - least watched ep since season 3 - mentioned this last wk dont get why they aired a new ep memorial weekend.

It took a big drop last time they did it in season 2 so dont why this yr would be any different especially coming off the sansa ep.

+ if ratings dont matter to HBO then why did they skip it the last 2 seasons.

Last edited by dcowboy7; 05-27-2015 at 06:41 AM.
post #6869 of 7676 Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ratings do matter to HBO just not as much as they do to regular networks. It gives an indication of current popularity and future earnings in media sales, streaming, etc. If GoT were getting Treme like numbers, it would be short lived or its budget drastically reduced.
post #6870 of 7676 Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
5.4 million viewers - least watched ep since season 3 - mentioned this last wk dont get why they aired a new ep memorial weekend.

It took a big drop last time they did it in season 2 so dont why this yr would be any different especially coming off the sansa ep.

+ if ratings dont matter to HBO then why did they skip it the last 2 seasons.
With the HBOGo and HBO NOW platform, DVR's, On Demand, the availability to stream, not to mention the depth of piracy, I don't know how much weight any episode of anything has these days as it relates to ratings on a subscription based service ..
Ph8te, hernanu and cardoski like this.

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com