'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 230 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6871 of 6899 Old Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
With the HBOGo and HBO NOW platform, DVR's, On Demand, the availability to stream, not to mention the depth of piracy, I don't know how much weight any episode of anything has these days as it relates to ratings on a subscription based service ..
But the 1st ep this season had all those things too yet still had 8 million viewers - thats about a 33% drop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6899 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
But the 1st ep this season had all those things too yet still had 8 million viewers.

Well, sure .. folks had been waiting a year for their GOT's fix .. .. and they wanted it NOW ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6873 of 6899 Old Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
But the 1st ep this season had all those things too yet still had 8 million viewers - thats about a 33% drop.

GoT is heavily watched time delayed. If pay more attention to the live +7 personally I didn't watch live this past week. NBA Playoffs and NHL playoffs will usually drag me away as well. I try to see it same night so I might usually fall into the live +3. I would t compare the premiere as that and episodes 9/10 are probably the "most" important as far as the show goes when it comes to live viewing. People know those are he ones to watch live and won't want to be spoiled.

I'd be more worried if the ratings stayed sub 5 million with no increase from other avenues.

Sent from nowhere
post #6874 of 6899 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Btw how did Ramsay figure out it was the old lady. I don't think Sansa mentioned anyone specifically. Maybe he just grabbed someone suspicious at random and flayed her to see what happened because psycho is as psycho does, but it looks like another weak plot hole. Would've been more interesting if he'd gone to the tower himself and lit a candle to see who came running.

Dorne has been a disappointment. From meeting Oberyn, you'd think Dorne is a cool and happening and enlightened place, relatively speaking. But so far it's just nice shrubbery, morose people, and porous security. Oberyn's daughters are lame fighters. If they'd flashed their boobs during combat maybe they would've gotten somewhere.
post #6875 of 6899 Old Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Btw how did Ramsay figure out it was the old lady. I don't think Sansa mentioned anyone specifically. Maybe he just grabbed someone suspicious at random and flayed her to see what happened because psycho is as psycho does, but it looks like another weak plot hole. Would've been more interesting if he'd gone to the tower himself and lit a candle to see who came running.

Dorne has been a disappointment. From meeting Oberyn, you'd think Dorne is a cool and happening and enlightened place, relatively speaking. But so far it's just nice shrubbery, morose people, and porous security. Oberyn's daughters are lame fighters. If they'd flashed their boobs during combat maybe they would've gotten somewhere.

We may not be privy to everything Sansa said. That minutia probably was deemed "not important enough to show".

Due to shooting restrictions Dorne may have been tough to pull off. While it is more progressive, we ha e only seen ~3 locations within it 2 of which we can assume are within the same local (palace gardens and prison). There are still 3 episodes left so it may come around yet.

Sent from nowhere
post #6876 of 6899 Old Today, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I lean the same way .. there was a big pre-season buildup on "We're spending some time in the Magical Land of Dorne" .. well, OK ..

I also mentioned something like this earlier on in the thread and got lightly flayed ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6877 of 6899 Old Today, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oberyn's daughters are lame fighters.
Though tyene did kill bronn....i mean if she didnt give him the antidote.

post #6878 of 6899 Old Today, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The Dorne story is just not interesting at this point. Maybe next season they expand upon it. Jamie going to try to bring his daughter/niece back is not very interesting. The Sand chick n daughters upset their father was killed. Blah. The best thing was the naked jail chick. Jaime or Bron has to die to make it interesting.
post #6879 of 6899 Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Ratings do matter to HBO just not as much as they do to regular networks. It gives an indication of current popularity and future earnings in media sales, streaming, etc. If GoT were getting Treme like numbers, it would be short lived or its budget drastically reduced.

your example of Treme proves my point that ratings don't matter much at HBO...Treme lasted for 4 seasons with very low ratings...The Wire received even lower ratings and lasted for 5 seasons...but both shows received a lot of critical acclaim and their quality kept them on the air...HBO has no advertising (commercials during their programming) so ad revenue/ratings don't matter...it's all about how the show is perceived and how much prestige it adds to the network

last year HBO gave out a rare 2 season renewal for GoT (through Season 6) and HBO CEO Richard Plepler and President of Programming Michael Lombardo have gone on record several times stating that the show will not be cancelled until the story is complete
post #6880 of 6899 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thing is, the old lady was just a messenger telling Sansa what to do.

She wasn't some part of some large group ready to fight the Boltons right?

The only person who was going to act on the signal from Sansa would have been Brienne?

What's the point of killing the old lady unless she gave up Brienne. Other than to spook Sansa and display again how sadistic Ramsay is. Sansa has been learning first hand about that.
post #6881 of 6899 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
your example of Treme proves my point that ratings don't matter much at HBO...Treme lasted for 4 seasons with very low ratings...The Wire received even lower ratings and lasted for 5 seasons...but both shows received a lot of critical acclaim and their quality kept them on the air...HBO has no advertising (commercials during their programming) so ad revenue/ratings don't matter...it's all about how the show is perceived and how much prestige it adds to the network

last year HBO gave out a rare 2 season renewal for GoT (through Season 6) and HBO CEO Richard Plepler and President of Programming Michael Lombardo have gone on record several times stating that the show will not be cancelled until the story is complete
Still doesnt explain why they skipped memorial weekend the previous 2 seasons.

post #6882 of 6899 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
they started Season 5 later then normal this year so to make up for it they aired on Memorial Day would be my guess...plus Season 5 doesn't have quite the same momentum or drive as the past 2 seasons and taking a break would not have made sense from a story standpoint
post #6883 of 6899 Old Today, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The only person who was going to act on the signal from Sansa would have been Brienne?

What's the point of killing the old lady unless she gave up Brienne. Other than to spook Sansa and display again how sadistic Ramsay is. Sansa has been learning first hand about that.

She said to Sansa "the north remembers" before Brienne got involved. We are lead to believe she IS part of a larger group. Currently she is the only one revealed to us that was stationed at Winterfell and could have access to Sansa. For the signal you are correct, that was the message sent by Brienne, remember however she gave it to a man who passed it along.

The point of killing the old lady was to torment Sansa and dash her hopes of help from the inside. Ramsey is all about dashing your hope and what better way to do that then to kill the contact Sansa had. Sansa doesn't even know Brienne followed her there so the impact wouldn't mean much. That on top of Sansa dismissing Brienne on their 1st meeting, Sansa would have stuffed it off.

Quote:

Plans change? Who knows why they decided to show an episode, this is planned far in advance so really we can't speculate anything.

Sent from nowhere
post #6884 of 6899 Old Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
they started Season 5 later then normal this year so to make up for it they aired on Memorial Day would be my guess...plus Season 5 doesn't have quite the same momentum or drive as the past 2 seasons and taking a break would not have made sense from a story standpoint

Myself, I'm just glad HBO did not skip, no explanation required ..
Ph8te, hernanu and FOPA like this.

Uncle Willie

post #6885 of 6899 Old Today, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
i didn't look up the timing, but likely has to do with when this season started and what they have planned to take over that time slot (Ballers?) and how that fits into the schedule, maybe wanting to conclude the new summer shows by a certain date before fall shows, etc.

i don't think it has any relevance.
post #6886 of 6899 Old Today, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
The Dorne stuff has definitely been the weakest storyline of the series. Although it was good for a laugh when Jamie and Bron showed up disguised as Dornish guards. I immediately thought of old Hope and Crosby road movies,

mgkdragn likes this.
post #6887 of 6899 Old Today, 12:27 PM

Quote:
why is that important. can anyone even remember weeks off in previous seasons.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #6888 of 6899 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Myself, I'm just glad HBO did not skip, no explanation required ..
Agreed, plus they ran the full Band of Brothers mini-series on two other HBO channels on Memorial Day. Someone else mentioned time shifting and with it and reruns, why make people wait if there is no advertising.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #6889 of 6899 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
The Dorne stuff has definitely been the weakest storyline of the series. Although it was good for a laugh when Jamie and Bron showed up disguised as Dornish guards. I immediately thought of old Hope and Crosby road movies,
And here I thought it was only me ..

that and "Ishtar" ..

Uncle Willie

post #6890 of 6899 Old Today, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The point wasn't to kill her, it was to interrogate her.
Ph8te likes this.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #6891 of 6899 Old Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
And here I thought it was only me ..

that and "Ishtar" ..
Ugh,,,!! I paid good money to see that in a theater.

Elaine May writer, Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty. Couldn't be bad, right... ?

The mistakes of youth.
post #6892 of 6899 Old Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
why is that important. can anyone even remember weeks off in previous seasons.
Yes seasons 1,2 they were on memorial weekend but both saw a drop in audience from the previous week then they bumped back up the next week.

The season 2 show was the least watched of the season just like this yrs will probably be.

Then seasons 3,4 they skipped that weekend....thats the only times they ever skipped.

post #6893 of 6899 Old Today, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes seasons 1,2 they were on memorial weekend but both saw a drop in audience from the previous week then they bumped back up the next week.

The season 2 show was the least watched of the season just like this yrs will probably be.

Then seasons 3,4 they skipped that weekend....thats the only times they ever skipped.

HBO replays the past week's episode at least 10 times during the week so standard ratings should not even apply...not to mention DVR playback etc...it's not like the show is in any danger of being cancelled so it really doesn't matter if ratings hit a season low...like someone else mentioned HBO likes to set their schedule for the entire year so they needed the extra week in order to plan out shows like True Detective and my most anticipated show for 2015- HBO's Westworld remake
post #6894 of 6899 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
I don't consider it a "plot hole" when there are many possible explanations, all of them credible, and it's not important to the story which of them is true. If it were important, they would tell us.

What's important to know is that it's hard to keep secrets from Ramsay, he has ways to make you talk, and you won't be the same afterwards.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #6895 of 6899 Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Alot of time on your hands huh

Audience is lower for everything nowadays w/ all the time shifting, streaming, hulu, hbo now, dvr, etc. All except live sporting events and major award shows. Same day live ratings are no longer accurate of audience numbers. In GOT case, it's on like 4 times every sunday if u count HBO east, west, HBO 2 east and west.

I don't think I've ever seen GOT at 9pm est. Usually that evening off dvr before I crash out or off demand or HBO GO. Honestly, I know many like me who haven't watched a tv show live since the advent of the dual tuner dvr. Can't find article now, but the spike HBO gets in subscribers right before GOT starts each year is still strong. We will get the full 7 seasons the exec-producers have promised.
post #6896 of 6899 Old Today, 02:39 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
She said to Sansa "the north remembers" before Brienne got involved. We are lead to believe she IS part of a larger group. Currently she is the only one revealed to us that was stationed at Winterfell and could have access to Sansa. For the signal you are correct, that was the message sent by Brienne, remember however she gave it to a man who passed it along.
Where was this? I don't remember any message from Brienne.
post #6897 of 6899 Old Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

What's important to know is that it's hard to keep secrets from Ramsay, he has ways to make you talk, and you won't be the same afterwards.
I wonder how fast he will talk when it's he's time. Can't say he has anything to hide, it would be fun just to hear is lies.
post #6898 of 6899 Old Today, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Where was this? I don't remember any message from Brienne.
From "kill the boy":

A man enters with some water and a towel.
BRIENNE: Thank you. You've lived here a long time?
MAN: Aye.
BRIENNE: Did you know Lord Eddard?
MAN: I knew him and his father before him. The Starks are gone now.
BRIENNE: Not all of them. I know who's inside that castle.
MAN: Everyone knows. The Boltons.
BRIENNE: I'm not talking about the Boltons. I need to get a message to her. To Sansa Stark.
MAN: Who are you?
BRIENNE: Someone who swore to keep her safe.
MAN: Swore to who?
BRIENNE: Her mother.
MAN: Her mother's dead.
BRIENNE: That doesn't release me from an oath. I served Lady Catelyn. I serve her still. Who do you serve?
Tack likes this.

post #6899 of 6899 Old Today, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I wonder how fast he will talk when it's he's time. Can't say he has anything to hide, it would be fun just to hear is lies.

I don't know, Ramsey seems to enjoy that stuff. Remember when Reek's sister came to save him, Ramsey came down all flayed up. Looked like it was just the evenings entertainment.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page