'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
they started making a big deal about his parentage for the first time this past season...Stannis, Littlefinger, Sansa etc were talking about how it didn't make sense that an honorable man like Ned Stark would cheat on his wife...so it does seem important in the big picture
Jon Snow's parentage has been a topic on the show since season 1 - probably episode 1 when Ned & King Robert are idly chatting. Robert going on about his past affairs and quizzing Ned on the name of his "baby Mama" and mentioning he'd never met her. Ned quickly changes the subject...

We just might not have known enough to really notice then, but it's not just a season 5 phenomena.

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post
Jon Snow's parentage has been a topic on the show since season 1 - probably episode 1 when Ned & King Robert are idly chatting. Robert going on about his past affairs and quizzing Ned on the name of his "baby Mama" and mentioning he'd never met her. Ned quickly changes the subject...

We just might not have known enough to really notice then, but it's not just a season 5 phenomena.

my point was that they haven't mentioned it since Season 1...not once...until this past Season
Old 06-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Robert quizzed Ned about it and tried to recall her name before Ned changed the subject.

Ned tells Jon that he'll tell him who his mother was next time he sees him.

Benjen tells Jon that when he returns, he'll tell him about his mother.

... my guess is that anyone left in Westeros that knows the truth about Jon's parents is probably too scared sh*tl*ss to bring it up.
Ph8te likes this.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
"Run its course"?????????? It is the main focal point in the upcoming struggle for survival of the effing species!!!! "Run its course"????? Are you kidding???
On this tv show or the books? On this tv show the wall has not been the main focal point so far. They have shown the WW's 3-4 times in 5 years. If the WW's killing everyone is the main focus of GOT then nothing else we are watching matters. They have not made the TV show out to be that.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I've figured it out. The last scene, of the last episode, of the last season of game of thrones, is a Giant Zombie Drogon breathing Icy/Fire on LittleFinger!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Robert quizzed Ned about it and tried to recall her name before Ned changed the subject.

Ned tells Jon that he'll tell him who his mother was next time he sees him.

Benjen tells Jon that when he returns, he'll tell him about his mother.

... my guess is that anyone left in Westeros that knows the truth about Jon's parents is probably too scared sh*tl*ss to bring it up.
One convo back in season one is far from "we are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the answer". As a non book reader JS parentage has not been an issue at all since that convo 5 years ago. Book readers are spoiling the pond of the TV show.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
One convo back in season one is far from "we are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the answer". As a non book reader JS parentage has not been an issue at all since that convo 5 years ago. Book readers are spoiling the pond of the TV show.
I haven't read the books and have avoided spoilers like the plague - which is why I haven't even participated in the non-spoilers thread until the season ended.

Those are 3 separate conversations I listed. All were in the show.

... and try not to try so hard to fish for book readers. That's as big a problem as an occasional book fact that slips into the thread.
Nayan likes this.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I haven't read the books and have avoided spoilers like the plague - which is why I haven't even participated in the non-spoilers thread until the season ended.

Those are 3 separate conversations I listed. All were in the show.

... and try not to try so hard to fish for book readers. That's as big a problem as an occasional book fact that slips into the thread.
So is the show still behind the books? or is it caught up?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OT: Folks keep mentioning the resurrected mountain by a new name. On the show they never mentioned a name at all. The dude said "he".

I haven't seen a single post mentioning a new name...you sure you're not the one who's read the books or looked at spoilers?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
On this tv show or the books? On this tv show the wall has not been the main focal point so far. They have shown the WW's 3-4 times in 5 years. If the WW's killing everyone is the main focus of GOT then nothing else we are watching matters. They have not made the TV show out to be that.

I guess you've messed the "big point". The Nights Watch warned all of the people of Westeros more than once about the impending WW army. Everyone has basically pushed it aside and treated it as "not my problem". The underlying thing we know since we see "everything" is that all of these wars and jousting for power is for nothing because once the WW army makes it past the wall it's a wrap.

The people of Westeros instead of banding together and preparing have gone on as if nothing is coming or will come. Since it's been hundreds of years since WW have been seen south of the wall they don't really believe the messages they are getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
So is the show still behind the books? or is it caught up?

From what little I know (via no spoiler podcasts) is that it's a little of both. Ahead in some parts, equal in others and behind behind in some.

Sent from nowhere
Turrican4D likes this.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm not a book reader, but regarding Jon Snow's mother, apparently when Benioff and Weiss pitched the show to GRRM, he (George) asked them who Jon's mother was. When they guessed correctly, George agreed to the show adaptation. So it seems like the mother issue will have some sort of importance.

Let's say Jon Snow is really, most sincerely dead. How will the mutinous men explain his death to the others? He was clearly assassinated. Will they fess up and say it was for the good of The Watch? What kind of message will that send? I don't see how the other brothers can just accept that.
Turrican4D likes this.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I haven't seen a single post mentioning a new name...you sure you're not the one who's read the books or looked at spoilers?
Someone called the resurrected mountain "sir...." a few pages back. Never read the books dude.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I'm not a book reader, but regarding Jon Snow's mother, apparently when Benioff and Weiss pitched the show to GRRM, he (George) asked them who Jon's mother was. When they guessed correctly, George agreed to the show adaptation. So it seems like the mother issue will have some sort of importance.

Let's say Jon Snow is really, most sincerely dead. How will the mutinous men explain his death to the others? He was clearly assassinated. Will they fess up and say it was for the good of The Watch? What kind of message will that send? I don't see how the other brothers can just accept that.

They will say it's for the good of the watch. Most of the men left were against him anyways. There are not that many left (less than 100 I think).

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-16-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Someone called the resurrected mountain "sir...." a few pages back. Never read the books dude.

I think I've seen it posted once or twice, but I don't think that name has any significance to the show. It's more to cover who the person was (raising the dead I do not believe is allowed).

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

his name is Ser Gregor Clegane on the show...'The Mountain' is a nickname
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I think those who killed JS will say it was better for The Watch. After some of his decisions, especially bringing the Wildlings to the wall, I think many lost faith in him as a leader and the only way to fix it was to off him.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I guess you've messed the "big point". The Nights Watch warned all of the people of Westeros more than once about the impending WW army. Everyone has basically pushed it aside and treated it as "not my problem". The underlying thing we know since we see "everything" is that all of these wars and jousting for power is for nothing because once the WW army makes it past the wall it's a wrap.
My point is the Wall will not be the focus from what I've gathered from watching the tv show. They keep saying "winter is coming" since season 1. From what they showed of the WW's, the Wall is definitely not going to stop them. It's going to take something magical/mystical/etc. to stop them. Like the stark kid. With JS dead and Sam gone, I think the only time we will see the wall after episode 1 next year is when the WW's are rolling it over and killing everyone. I just don't think they will waste parts of the last 20 episodes on Ollie and the rest of the wall crew no one cares about when they have so much to tie up.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's not what he was referring to...the name itself is from the books as I don't believe it has been said during the show.

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know that. They called him something else with a Sir. Book readers are dropping all kinds of "knowledge" in this thread. I just wade through it.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's not what he was referring to...the name itself is from the books as I don't believe it has been said during the show

have a link to this post?...I haven't seen any posts referring to him by another name
Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My point is the Wall will not be the focus from what I've gathered from watching the tv show. They keep saying "winter is coming" since season 1. From what they showed of the WW's, the Wall is definitely not going to stop them. It's going to take something magical/mystical/etc. to stop them. Like the stark kid. With JS dead and Sam gone, I think the only time we will see the wall after episode 1 next year is when the WW's are rolling it over and killing everyone. I just don't think they will waste parts of the last 20 episodes on Ollie and the rest of the wall crew no one cares about when they have so much to tie up.

Not sure I would say "no one cares about" as Davos and Milisandre are still there. Not to mention Bran is north of the wall so he would have to travel there to get south. The wall is an important part of the region as it is the 1st defense against those north of it. To skip the fall of the wall would be a tremendous blunder.

I wouldn't be surprised if something or someone else comes up as this is what happens with this show. A character no one really cares about comes to the forefront with an interesting storyline and feelings change.

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
have a link to this post?...I haven't seen any posts referring to him by another name

I don't, I think I saw it earlier on in the posts, but it didn't bother me enough to post about it

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know that. They called him something else with a Sir. Book readers are dropping all kinds of "knowledge" in this thread. I just wade through it.

I understand what you're saying though...I do find it funny when book readers post in this thread pretending that they haven't read the books and drop these amazing predictions or clues ...it's pretty easy to tell who's read the books (or looked at spoilers) and who hasn't
Nayan and BroadwayBlues like this.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think it made perfect sense if you look at the High Sparrow as a future head of a theocracy. In his short time as the sparrow, when Cersei thought to use him as a figurehead he has:

1. Killed off any competitors within the religion.
  2. Resurrected, with Cersei's misguided complicity the Faith militant, his own army.
  3. Faced down the reigning king. (Granted, it''s Tommen, Joffrey would have been a different matter).
  4. Jailed the current Queen (Margaery).
  5. Jailed the heir of house Tyrell.
  6. Faced down the head of House Tyrell.
  7. Claimed most of King's Landing - notice the goldcloaks are confined to the keep.

And he's still alive.

Now, to destroy the other icon of the realm, he takes the Queen mother herself, who really is the ruler, and utterly destroys any vestige of command or ability to terrify by parading her naked in front of the least citizens, where she is shamed and forced to walk as a powerless individual.

He is trying to break their hold on Kings Landing, leaving him in charge. Very effective unless someone fights back.
What I meant by didn't make any sense was:

Did it really need to occupy 10 minutes of the episode? That time could of been better spent on other things. It just drug on and on...

Why didn't the king or the mountain or anyone from Kings Landing come get her at the start of the walk (or before even)? These are just religious wackos, they don't like that fearsome.

Samsung 78JS9500 + LG 55EC9300 + 55EA8800 OLED + Sony 65XBR850A + Samsung 46D8000
Denon X5200W + Oppo BDP-103D
Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103D
MartinLogan Motion 40/30/FX + Rhythmik FV15HP
MartinLogan Motion 60XT/50XT/FX2 + Seaton Submersive HP+
Monitor Audio ASB-2 + Oppo BDP-103
Old 06-16-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I think those who killed JS will say it was better for The Watch. After some of his decisions, especially bringing the Wildlings to the wall, I think many lost faith in him as a leader and the only way to fix it was to off him.
Yet, Snow was one of the few that actually believed the WW were a huge threat, thus the Wildlings ..

The initial, beginning story, Season One, Episode One .. Will of the Night's Watch claims his patrol is ambushed by the WW .. Ned does not believe him, lops off his head .. the Direwolf litter is found .. WW massacred a tribe of Wildlings and left the dead out as a warning .. I think the whole idea is based on the folks of Westeros going about their everyday shenanigans as the real threat is North of the Wall ..

Sure, there is not a lot of WW action until Hardhome .. but it still has to be a setup .. a story has a beginning and an end ..
Ph8te, Nayan and Phil17108 like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
Why didn't the king or the mountain or anyone from Kings Landing come get her at the start of the walk (or before even)? These are just religious wackos, they don't like that fearsome.

the thing that never made sense about this entire Sparrow storyline was how they completely neutered the Kingsguard and Gold Cloaks...their numbers couldn't have been greater then the King's Landing soldiers...why on earth did they just stand back and let these fanatics take over?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yet, Snow was one of the few that actually believed the WW were a huge threat, thus the Wildlings ..

The initial, beginning story, Season One, Episode One .. Will of the Night's Watch claims his patrol is ambushed by the WW .. Ned does not believe him, lops off his head .. the Direwolf litter is found .. WW massacred a tribe of Wildlings and left the dead out as a warning .. I think the whole idea is based on the folks of Westeros going about their everyday shenanigans as the real threat is North of the Wall ..

Sure, there is not a lot of WW action until Hardhome .. but it still has to be a setup .. a story has a beginning and an end ..
I agree and I know he brought the Wildlings back with him to help fight the WW, but not everyone agreed with his choices. I think I remember him saying he was 'one of the most-hated men on The Watch' (or something to that effect). The folks in Westeros will have a real wake-up call should the WW hop the wall and head their way.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Old 06-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

Exactly. I have gone and read the interviews with KH and watched the video with B&W. I have to admit, given the statements, it certainly appears JS (played by KH) will no longer be a part of the show. I will now tread lightly, as i don't want to break thread rules but..By now, it appears common knowledge that the subject of JS true lineage has been a debate among book readers for some time. I must admit, i would not have found this nearly as fascinating without learning things in this thread and then checking various other web posts (i have not read the books). Most people realize that while this show is created from the books, it appears it is NOT the books. With that said, if JS was to be killed off, B&W knew it, why the hell did they ever bother bringing it up? To me, it makes no sense whatsoever. Just to appease book readers and suck them in? I understand lingering questions can add to the realism factor but it really pisses me off. Someone brought up the missing russian episode of the sopranos as a parallel; i get it but the russian was a one off character who wouldn't really affect anything too largely if he came back-This JS lineage thing had huge implications in the coming story (or so we thought). I'm not surprised JS was killed-the stink eye Ollie gave and that convo between Ollie and Sam was a pure tip off but i am surprised he won't be back. The show has been great at introducing new characters we get behind and i would expect that to continue next season along with Bran (not one of my favorites) playing a large role. Maybe Rickon will suddenly grow 3 feet and age 10 years and we'll have another Stark to watch die!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I agree and I know he brought the Wildlings back with him to help fight the WW, but not everyone agreed with his choices. I think I remember him saying he was 'one of the most-hated men on The Watch' (or something to that effect). The folks in Westeros will have a real wake-up call should the WW hop the wall and head their way.
Yes .. the Free Folk / anti-Bend a Knee crowd just can't get any respect .. and look at who delivered the first stab .. Alliser Thorne .. who looked like he even had a smirk on his face .. and would likely be the 999th Lord Commander .. at this point, if I were a Wildling, I think I'd make a quick exit ..
Nayan likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
That's not what he was referring to...the name itself is from the books as I don't believe it has been said during the show.

Sent from nowhere
I don't know if this is from the book, but Emergency Awesome called him Robert Strong.

HJ
...esse quam videri

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition