'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7681 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I've been playing the Game of Thrones game by Telltale, and it's actually pretty good. Lots of surprising twists just like the show, and you get to see major series events from different points of view. Good way to pass the time waiting for next year.

Agree, I've played all the release episodes so far. It's a good bit of fun.

Also for those that listen to the podcasts, bald move is doing play through videos of the game now (they just finished episode 1. Always interesting to see the choices people make knowing how and that they could/will affect the future.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7682 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Well, just like modern day politics you wanna back the least crazy one that has a shot of winning. Dany is relatively sane and humane for a royal, and she has freaking dragons.

the events of the show have shown Daenerys to have a bit of crazy in her as well...I've always said that I think that eventually Dany will go crazy like her father, the Mad King Aerys and the true end game of the books/TV show will be about defeating her and her dragons...the White Walkers are the appetizer and will be dealt with before the end and Dany is the true end game
Tack and RLBURNSIDE like this.
TitusTroy is offline  
post #7683 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I've been playing the Game of Thrones game by Telltale, and it's actually pretty good. Lots of surprising twists just like the show, and you get to see major series events from different points of view. Good way to pass the time waiting for next year.

Telltale makes some excellent story driven games but I feel the Walking Dead series is better overall
TitusTroy is offline  
post #7684 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Game of Thrones directors revealed for mysterious season 6

Below is the list of directors for the sixth season of HBO’s acclaimed fantasy hit...Three of the names are Thrones veterans, and two are newcomers to the series...once again, each will helm two episodes...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/23...on-6-directors

the most surprising (in a very good way) name on that list is Jack Bender...he's well known among fans of the show LOST and directed many of the show's best and most iconic episodes
TitusTroy is offline  
post #7685 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 4,496
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the events of the show have shown Daenerys to have a bit of crazy in her as well...I've always said that I think that eventually Dany will go crazy like her father, the Mad King Aerys and the true end game of the books/TV show will be about defeating her and her dragons...the White Walkers are the appetizer and will be dealt with before the end and Dany is the true end game

That's a very interesting angle.
Tack is online now  
post #7686 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
So many people? Her base support is in the east. Westeros she has "supposed" support, but we have not seen anything actual outside of exiles. I think it's obvious that when the Targaryans ruled that for the most part things were good. They did have a couple of bad seeds, but many dynasty's do. All we have to do is look at current day politics. People run off their names many times and people will vote for them because they know the name.

For the most part those in power aren't much better. Danny has the name and with the right training could be a very good leader. Varys/Tyrion et all have seen the makings of a great leader that is different than those that currently lead. I'm not sure I agree that "so many" people like her or want her in power. Heck they tried to kill her not too long ago.


Sent from nowhere
I think she could do well as a leader, Dany kind of thinks things over and does listen to advisers. with Tyrion and Varys doing the talking she may go far. I the last line of your post about they tried to kill her not to long ago I went in my mind back to the bug that the house of the undying sent after her. Then I recalled that fat drunk Robert sending assassins after her but Stark specking up to stop it. I find it interesting that Ned Stark kept Jon true ID from him, thats what I think, along with trying to keep her safe. I'll bet Varys was in the same game and prevented Dany from being killed a number of times. I think that Ned's true feelings were anything on the Throne other then a Lannister, or a Lannister by another name and it cost him his head.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7687 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I think she could do well as a leader, Dany kind of thinks things over and does listen to advisers. with Tyrion and Varys doing the talking she may go far. I the last line of your post about they tried to kill her not to long ago I went in my mind back to the bug that the house of the undying sent after her. Then I recalled that fat drunk Robert sending assassins after her but Stark specking up to stop it. I find it interesting that Ned Stark kept Jon true ID from him, thats what I think, along with trying to keep her safe. I'll bet Varys was in the same game and prevented Dany from being killed a number of times. I think that Ned's true feelings were anything on the Throne other then a Lannister, or a Lannister by another name and it cost him his head.

I think you may be getting things mixed up. Ser Jorah stopped the assignation when the man tried to stab Danny in season 1/2. He also was the informant for Varys who was keeping tabs on her for the Lannisters.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #7688 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think you may be getting things mixed up. Ser Jorah stopped the assignation when the man tried to stab Danny in season 1/2. He also was the informant for Varys who was keeping tabs on her for the Lannisters.


Sent from nowhere
I don't think I am getting anything confused. Barristan Selmy stuck a small knife through the bug like thing that was going to kill Dany. It was his way of introducing himself to Dany. Jorah stepped into the wine tasting to stop Dany from bring poisoned. Did you happened to noticed that the weenie wager that jumped out front of Cersei was same actor that was the poisoner and was pulled along with the khalasar until dead.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7689 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I don't think I am getting anything confused. Barristan Selmy stuck a small knife through the bug like thing that was going to kill Dany. It was his way of introducing himself to Dany. Jorah stepped into the wine tasting to stop Dany from bring poisoned. Did you happened to noticed that the weenie wager that jumped out front of Cersei was same actor that was the poisoner and was pulled along with the khalasar until dead.

Varys was one of the ones who helped try to kill Danny via the poison I believe. His information was directly part of the attempt. He didn't care until recently (Jeoffery etc).


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #7690 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Varys was one of the ones who helped try to kill Danny via the poison I believe. His information was directly part of the attempt. He didn't care until recently (Jeoffery etc).


Sent from nowhere
Varys said he served the realm in a conversation with Littlefinger in the throne room standing in front of it. The way he nodded his head at it I took it as meaning that he was not interested in serving the Lannisters
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7691 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Varys was conspiring since season 1. Arya saw him talking about it in the crypts.
Ph8te likes this.
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7692 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Varys said he served the realm in a conversation with Littlefinger in the throne room standing in front of it. The way he nodded his head at it I took it as meaning that he was not interested in serving the Lannisters

He's been serving the realm and at the early time I am referring to that meant doing away with Danny. He didn't start doing things against the Lannistesr until "much" later.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #7693 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
He's been serving the realm and at the early time I am referring to that meant doing away with Danny. He didn't start doing things against the Lannistesr until "much" later.


Sent from nowhere
Varys never did anything other then control of information and who got what when. I do think if he wanted her dead she would be. The next few years may prove one of us right or maybe both wrong. I find the debate to be the fun part.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7694 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Varys was conspiring since season 1. Arya saw him talking about it in the crypts.
Yes and who was he talking with.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7695 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Varys was also trying to keep Ned Starks head on I recall, the only problem was Cersei could not control Joffrey.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7696 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Varys was one of the ones who helped try to kill Danny via the poison I believe. His information was directly part of the attempt. He didn't care until recently (Jeoffery etc).
At the same time Varys made sure, that Ser Jorah received a letter, that warned him about the poisoner.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #7697 of 7706 Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Playing both sides is nothing really new. He "wins" regardless. He's one of my favorite on screen characters. He's far from an angel however (that was my point)


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #7698 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Are there any angels in the Game other then Myrcella, Bran, Rickon and Shireen and 2 of them may be died.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7699 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,773
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Are there any angels in the Game other then Myrcella, Bran, Rickon and Shireen and 2 of them may be died.

We don't know Myrcella well enough. He kids of course for the most part as the closest we can get to truly innocent characters. Outside of a few pronounced exclusions that is . Everyone else much like people in real life are varying shades of gray. Much like the old Jedi statement they are good from a certain point of view.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #7700 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 4,496
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I'd say Hodor is probably the most innocent soul in the show.
Ph8te and Phil17108 like this.
Tack is online now  
post #7701 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rsambuca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 90
They have talked on the show about how the Targaryens ruled for a few hundred years. I would assume most of the time it was calm and peaceful, unlike the gong show that is going on right now!
rsambuca is offline  
post #7702 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Varys said he served the realm in a conversation with Littlefinger in the throne room standing in front of it. The way he nodded his head at it I took it as meaning that he was not interested in serving the Lannisters
My take on Varys is he is the anti Littlefinger. They are both smart behind the scene operators, but whereas Littlefinger thinks chaos is a ladder and wants to play all against all then steps in when they are all dead, Varys wants to keep the peace. He wants a just ruler, and if that is not possible, then he wants one ruler rather than a bunch of claimants warring for the throne. He saw Ned was a good man and tried to help him but Ned did not want to help himself. Early on, he saw Dany as yet another contender which meant she was trouble and he worked against her. Or maybe he was only keeping an eye on her and biding his time. I'm not sure at which point he definitively jumped on the Dany wagon.
Phil17108 likes this.
barth2k is offline  
post #7703 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I'm not sure at which point he definitively jumped on the Dany wagon.
On TV, it was the moment he realized his assist in Tyrion's escape was too exposed to talk his way out of the alarms going off in the distance. At the last moment, he steps on the boat and sits in front of the box holding Tyrion. Perhaps he planed to slip back into the city unnoticed, but the escape was discovered too early for him to do so. In that moment, options narrowed. The (inner council) politician's option of holding many positions vanished.

That Jamie ordered his help and his absence should bring questions and will be addressed, or not, is yet another item hanging till next season. (even though Bron mentions the blame going to Varys in some known fashion on the way to Dorn and Jamie denies involvement) I can see the issue buried or forgotten like so many others. No time to explore in the short TV time. Still, how did this "Known bit of info" in Bron's estimation come about? Was he guessing?

The Varys/Tyrion scenes in season 5 were fantastic.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by thedeskE; 06-26-2015 at 03:23 PM.
thedeskE is online now  
post #7704 of 7706 Old 06-26-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
On TV, it was the moment he realized his assist in Tyrion's escape was too exposed to talk his way out of the alarms going off in the distance. At the last moment, he steps on the boat and sits in front of the box holding Tyrion. Perhaps he planed to slip back into the city unnoticed, but the escape was discovered too early for him to do so. In that moment, options narrowed. The (inner council) politician's option of holding many positions vanished.

That Jamie ordered his help and his absence should bring questions and will be addressed, or not, is yet another item hanging till next season. (even though Bron mentions the blame going to Varys in some known fashion on the way to Dorn and Jamie denies involvement) I can see the issue buried or forgotten like so many others. No time to explore in the short TV time. Still, how did this "Known bit of info" in Bron's estimation come about? Was he guessing?

The Varys/Tyrion scenes in season 5 were fantastic.
I think Varys had been in favor of Dany's taking back the crown for some time but hoped he could manipulate things from KL without going on a sea voyage. I do not think Jamie ordered him to help, I belive Jamie asked for the help. The real problem was the stop Tyrion made before the meeting with Varys. It became advantages in that moment to split. He had lots of dragons in Essos to travel in style, and hide Tyrion.

As for Bron he as always aliened him self with the Lannister brothers and I very much doubt that well change.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #7705 of 7706 Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I do not think Jamie ordered him to help, I belive Jamie asked for the help.
Yes - good correction. We agree, he had no intention of leaving. What's to become of his "Wizard" in the crate? Getting stinky by now, I'd say
Phil17108 likes this.
thedeskE is online now  
post #7706 of 7706 Old 06-27-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Yes - good correction. We agree, he had no intention of leaving. What's to become of his "Wizard" in the crate? Getting stinky by now, I'd say
That would be right, maybe the crows found him first, the like there meat a little ripe.
Phil17108 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off