'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #8191 of 9333 Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My best guess on the difference in Video quality between watching the show live on one of the HBO channels vs watching it on a VOD, is that the VOD copy of the show goes through a more extensive MPEG encoding process. The live shows are encoded on the fly by Dish to fit one their transponders. 1 second of show gets 1 second of encoding time as its sent. But a VOD program is just a file transfer, a download. So they could take a show and let the encoder chug on it for hours and output the smallest file with the best video quality. Then just distribute the file to all of their VOD servers.

Its just a guess/speculation, but it makes sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 9333 Old 05-12-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 833
https://giphy.com/gifs/stark-ser-eddard-J4X28mRokK6Aw

It's always in the last place you look.
post #8193 of 9333 Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post
Agreed - the primary Oathbreaker here is Jon Snow. But we also have others breaking oaths:
  • Samwell Tarly is breaking his oath to Gilly about always being with her and the baby by dropping her off at House Tarly instead of taking her to Oldtown.
  • House Umber is seemingly breaking their oath to House Stark by teaming up with the Boltons and turning over Rickon.
  • One might be able to argue the Dothraki are breaking an oath by putting Danerys up for trial when the deal seemed to be she got to live out her days in Vaes Dothrak.
  • The Mereen woman broke her oath to the Sons of the Harpy.
  • Wherever Littlefinger is I'm sure he's breaking an oath to someone too...
Lots of options in this one to match the title in one way or another...
Well, it could be argued that the Night's Watch (or some of them) broke their oaths by murdering Jon, who was their Lord Commander. Alliser Thorne admitted as much right before he was hanged. Seems everyone was doing what they thought was "right." But what is "right" isn't necessarily what is "right," because circumstances have changed in the present and magic is afoot. Things are now occurring that haven't been seen for thousands of years, and have now become the stuff of myth and legend. Only Jon knew they were real because he'd seen them, and he knew the only way for the Realm to survive was to forge an alliance with the Wildlings. I guess Alliser and company thought tradition was more important than survival.
gwsat likes this.
post #8194 of 9333 Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Loved how they changed the opening during the theme song. Lots and lots of changes. Was refreshing to see some new stuff/areas.
Apparently they change it every season, but I only noticed it this season, because I binge-watched the previous seasons over the net, so I skipped over the main title sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Rickon has sure grown .. I thought Shaggydog's head looked a bit small when Umber tossed it on the table .. Jon leaving the Night's Watch has some interesting possibilities ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
I'm kind of hoping that Shaggy Dog didn't meet his
Demise. Although I'm pessimistic.

I also was hoping to see the dire wolves having
More screen time. I still remember when Rob and
His wolf confronted a shackled Jaime Lanister.
The wolf was growling/snarling in Jaime's face
And he was terrified!

Gave me goose bumps.
Yea, I'm hoping it was all a ruse to get Osha in so she can assassinate Ramsey (did you see the way she was looking at him? Like prey). I thought the the direwolf head looked small, so I'm hoping it was just a large wolf, and not Shaggydog.
post #8195 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Apparently they change it every season, but I only noticed it this season, because I binge-watched the previous seasons over the net, so I skipped over the main title sequence.

Yea, I'm hoping it was all a ruse to get Osha in so she can assassinate Ramsey (did you see the way she was looking at him? Like prey). I thought the the direwolf head looked small, so I'm hoping it was just a large wolf, and not Shaggydog.

Sometimes they change it during season.....they had a video on YouTube about the intro credits and that it took X amount of weeks to actually implement the changes and get it back for production readiness.
jazzycat likes this.
post #8196 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Well, it could be argued that the Night's Watch (or some of them) broke their oaths by murdering Jon, who was their Lord Commander. Alliser Thorne admitted as much right before he was hanged. Seems everyone was doing what they thought was "right." But what is "right" isn't necessarily what is "right," because circumstances have changed in the present and magic is afoot. Things are now occurring that haven't been seen for thousands of years, and have now become the stuff of myth and legend. Only Jon knew they were real because he'd seen them, and he knew the only way for the Realm to survive was to forge an alliance with the Wildlings. I guess Alliser and company thought tradition was more important than survival.
Agreed! Ser Alliser was so caught up in tradition that it moved him to betray his Lord Commander and thereby his oath. Times had changed but Ser Alliser, aided and abetted by his hatred for and jealousy of Jon Snow, failed to see it and paid with his life for his lack of awareness.
jazzycat likes this.
post #8197 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great episode from the heartstring puller of an intro scene to the Khaleesi making a comeback. This season has been packed with moves and "major" events in almost every episode. Is it next week yet?

Sent from nowhere
cardoski and jazzycat like this.
post #8198 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 620
what a fantastic episode!...what an ending!...another epic Daenerys scene...beautiful!...looks like this season is shaping up to be the best yet and we're not even half way through...the Starks finally reunited!...Sansa and Jon Snow actually reunited!...looks like 2 major battles on the horizon with Kings Landing vs the Faith Militants and an epic Battle for Winterfell

the show has done an absolute masterful job over 6 seasons detailing all the various houses and families and now they're each starting to take sides in the wars to come- Greyjoys, Tyrells, Dorne, Umbers, Karstarks, Wildlings, The Vale, Dothraki etc...
post #8199 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Jon's NW friend had a good point. What about the White Walkers? No one seems worried about them anymore.
jazzycat likes this.
post #8200 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Sometimes they change it during season.....they had a video on YouTube about the intro credits and that it took X amount of weeks to actually implement the changes and get it back for production readiness.
Yea. I actually noticed it this week. They didn't show Dorne or Braavos as they have previously this season. They probably have several main title sequences that they use depending on which cities are featured in each episode.

***** (edited in...)

And HOLY CRAP! Can I just say... Best. Episode. Ever!!!

And dammit! I was totally wrong about Osha! Well, maybe not her intentions, but Ramsey was clearly more clever than she in this instance. BOO! (I can't stand him.) I was so waiting for her to plunge a dagger deep into him somewhere up close and personal, and see his blood spurt out all over the place. *pout*

Dany has been reborn (yet again) in fire, and this time she'll rule over ALL the Dothraki. I remember reading a couple of weeks ago that this may have been her plan all along. Could *she* be Azor Ahai reborn? But no, she has no sword.

Littlefinger just makes my skin crawl. Always has. What a great character. No ambivalence in him. He's a total narcissist, whereas Ramsey is a total psychopath. Littlefinger is much more complex and fun.

In "Inside the Episode" after the show, the producers said this is the first time Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner have appeared together in a scene. And what a scene! Maybe the Starks will win the game after all.

And... me thinks Tormund Giantsbane has a thing for Brienne (and possibly vice versa). Makes total sense, since wildlings like their women strong enough to defeat wildling males.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by jazzycat; 05-15-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #8201 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Jon's NW friend had a good point. What about the White Walkers? No one seems worried about them anymore.

Out of sight out of mind everyone will be worried soon enough Winter is Coming for eeeevvveerrryyyyooooonnnneeeeeee
jazzycat likes this.
post #8202 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Nice to see scheming Littlefinger back again. The show just isn't the same without him.
cardoski likes this.
post #8203 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yea. I actually noticed it this week. They didn't show Dorne or Braavos as they have previously this season. They probably have several main title sequences that they use depending on which cities are featured in each episode.

And HOLY CRAP! Can I just say... Best. Episode. Ever!!!

Here's an article about the intro :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnaxel.../#4707ecf76773
post #8204 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 620
I wonder what the title of the episode- Book of the Stranger- refers to...and on another note, am I the only one that wants to see Margaery do a Walk of Atonement...seeing Natalie Dormer do a full nude walk of shame would be the best
post #8205 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Episode started great!

Later though, we see Jon is floundering a bit in the doldrums and a bit uncertain. That was a bit of a let down. But hell, he was murdered and brought back to life. Cutting him some slack

Apparently Ramsey's psychotic reign will continue for the sake of a battle to come. I had really hoped though, that Osha had a chance to take him out. So much for that speculation of a secret plan! Sorry to see her die! That was terrible!

Loved the ending and find there is nothing better than when Dany goes full Targaryen on her enemies!

I also enjoy her theme music that kicks in at moments like this.

Funny, part of me also wanted to hear Helena's theme from Orphan Black
allargon and jazzycat like this.
post #8206 of 9333 Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I wonder what the title of the episode- Book of the Stranger- refers to...and on another note, am I the only one that wants to see Margaery do a Walk of Atonement...seeing Natalie Dormer do a full nude walk of shame would be the best

The Stranger is one of the Gods and I believe the High Sparrow mentioned him last week. I could of sworn he was mentioned again this week as well, but I could be wrong.
John dhein, TitusTroy and jazzycat like this.
post #8207 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Dothraki may know everything about horses but they don't know anything about building fire codes.
archiguy, rflor and DaMavs like this.
post #8208 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thought the biggest lesson we earned from this week's episode is that it's a big mistake to fu*k with the Mother of Dragons. The Dothraki guys learned not only that she doesn't deal well with disrespect but that she is fireproof too.
post #8209 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The Stranger is one of the Gods and I believe the High Sparrow mentioned him last week. I could of sworn he was mentioned again this week as well, but I could be wrong.
He was, in a coversation between the High Sparrow and Margery.
Ph8te likes this.
post #8210 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Tormund checking out Brienne was gold.
post #8211 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I would LOVE to see those 2 end up as one of what I expect to be very few happy-ish endings.
Tack, GoCaboNow and jazzycat like this.
post #8212 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
The bits and pieces are now starting to form something .. the whole episode was a Reunion show of sorts .. especially Dany reuniting with her Heritage and her Roots ..

About the only thing I could think of that would have just capped it off would have been a fly by featuring Drogo, as Dany stood outside the burning giant yurt ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8213 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm expecting Briene of Tarth to fall now that Sansa has been found and she has completed her 'mission' of avenging Renley. Hopefully she is the one to take out Ramsay, but I think that it will likely be the other way around. Hopefully the Onion Knight doesn't strike her on this own.

No Dorne, this time around. I wouldn't miss it if Dorne is never mentioned again. No Tower of Joy flash back either. Ugh. I actually want more on that.

Jon Sno has been pretty much fearless up until now. Fighting the Wildlings, Rouge Crows, Infiltrating Wildlings, Wildling battle at the Wall, Then going Solo to make peace with the Wildlings, then Hard Home. Now he's reluctant to go after Ramsay Bolton? Uhm, I guess he did come back a little bit Less from the Dead.

Luckily Sansa has grown a pair big enough for the two of them.
post #8214 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just read it was not a body double for Emilia Clarke at the end. Remember she had refused to do any more nudity after season 3 but changed her mind for this episode. She said she is happy and proud of her body after three more years. I have to agree.
post #8215 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace414 View Post
Just read it was not a body double for Emilia Clarke at the end. Remember she had refused to do any more nudity after season 3 but changed her mind for this episode. She said she is happy and proud of her body after three more years. I have to agree.
I am happy and proud of it as well ..
Garrett Adams and spaceace414 like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8216 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I would LOVE to see those 2 end up as one of what I expect to be very few happy-ish endings.

Yeah, I can see them stealing one last look at a Westeros in burning ruin, before heading back north of the Wall to a cozy house with some cute little (and probably hairy) babies.

But I doubt it, knowing this sadistic show. They'd probably get all relaxed and a Ramsey Zombie would jump up out of the snow and shank one of 'em.
post #8217 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
I think she said in the article that she never said she wouldn't do nudity. Apparently Oona Chaplin said one actress on GOT was reluctant to be nude, and people assumed it was Emilia - that was apparently not the case. Besides, she was nude in the latest Terminator movie.
post #8218 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think she said in the article that she never said she wouldn't do nudity. Apparently Oona Chaplin said one actress on GOT was reluctant to be nude, and people assumed it was Emilia - that was apparently not the case. Besides, she was nude in the latest Terminator movie.
Actually she was very forthcoming about saying she would not do nudity any longer on GOT. Here is one article talking about it last year
http://zap2it.com/2015/09/emilia-cla...es-sex-scenes/

I think it was just the constant being naked more than being clothed that was getting to her.
post #8219 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Actually she was very forthcoming about saying she would not do nudity any longer on GOT. Here is one article talking about it last year
http://zap2it.com/2015/09/emilia-cla...es-sex-scenes/

I think it was just the constant being naked more than being clothed that was getting to her.
Ah.. thank for the link.
post #8220 of 9333 Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I really enjoyed seeing the way Tormund looked at Brienne too. Maybe big Brienne will find love at last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page