'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2254Likes

post #8281 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
The show does some locations really well. Others, like Dorne, look very very cheap. Considering they actually go on location to foreign countries and spend a ton of money, its a bit inconsistent.

Speaking for myself, I found the "look" of Dorne quite enchanting and consistent with it's placement on the map, quite the contrast to Winterfell and the North in general ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Agreed. Considering how many different locations and climates they have to cover, I think they do it extremely well, especially for TV.

Yes .. and I'm sure money could be saved if more green screen and CGI were placed .. so kudos to HBO for spending the coin in order to create a much more immersive experience for the fans .. if I were a rich man, I would seriously consider the "Game of Thrones Travel Tour" ..
Ph8te, John dhein and jazzycat like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
Primary purpose of the human race (and all animals) is procreation. One woman with multiple husbands is therefore a stupid idea and no culture has embraced it.
Procreation has historically had very little to do with it and currently has none, yet polygamy still exists. It's because men make the rules, always have, and they like to have multiple sex partners. If they can do it "legally", so much the better. It's why Joseph Smith made it part of his shiny new religion, and why it's still practiced today in certain impoverished, hyper-conservative and religiously calcified parts of the world.
Keenan likes this.
post #8283 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
.. if I were a rich man, I would seriously consider the "Game of Thrones Travel Tour" ..
Well, I've got Ireland and Iceland covered.
The rest will have to wait until retirement, or my company ponies up for a backup to my position since my coworker left.
post #8284 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Spaghetti of thrones: Ennio Morricone goes Westeros

http://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thron...d-w-1777545383
Keenan likes this.
post #8285 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Speaking for myself, I found the "look" of Dorne quite enchanting and consistent with it's placement on the map, quite the contrast to Winterfell and the North in general ..

Yes .. and I'm sure money could be saved if more green screen and CGI were placed .. so kudos to HBO for spending the coin in order to create a much more immersive experience for the fans .. if I were a rich man, I would seriously consider the "Game of Thrones Travel Tour" ..
Well, tourism has increased and brought money into every single location they've used on the show, sometimes considerably, so it's good for commerce.
post #8286 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Dorne is shot in Spain.....Thy have about 2-3 "main" locations (Ireland and Croatia are the ones I remember). Not sure how "inconsistent" that is *scratches head*
I haven't read the books but I get the impression that Dorne is supposed to be really wealthy and exotic. The scenes in Dorne, the beach and the palace, were not as awe inspiring as e.g how they made Bravoos look.
post #8287 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Liked: 3698
'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:
I haven't read the books but I get the impression that Dorne is supposed to be really wealthy and exotic. The scenes in Dorne, the beach and the palace, were not as awe inspiring as e.g how they made Bravoos look.

The palace gardens fit well IMO, so I can't agree with you. Knowing they had extra constraints at that location, it didn't help things. A beach is a beach, so in not sure what you were expecting with those scenes. Sometimes reality is less than perception or imagination.

I've only read through book 3, so I haven't got to Dorne yet there. I also don't venture out into book related discussions so I've not been privy to much of the Dorne disappointment except people wishing there was more of it.
post #8288 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The palace gardens fit well IMO, so I can't agree with you. Knowing they had extra constraints at that location, it didn't help things. A beach is a beach, so in not sure what you were expecting with those scenes. Sometimes reality is less than perception or imagination.
Its not a big deal, it was fine. The 'look' of Dorne is the least of the problems with that storyline.
post #8289 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Procreation has historically had very little to do with it and currently has none, yet polygamy still exists. It's because men make the rules, always have, and they like to have multiple sex partners. If they can do it "legally", so much the better.
The genetic imperative that is driven by species survival can express itself in all sorts of ways. We "like" what our genes like.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #8290 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Actually Polygamy has been shown to primarily benefit women. I know that sounds wrong, but its not. The man who has multiple wives is always very wealthy. The those wives enjoy his wealth. That leaves less women available for marriage. So large numbers of poor men have no wives.

On the other hand the few instances where a woman has more than one husband usually ends up being a situation where she is married off and shared by a number of 'brothers'. She's pretty much a house slave and life sucks. I forget where I saw the segment on that, but it was counter intuitive and a little bit eye opening.

Back to Sansa, I really am rooting for a Stark Family reunion and a Ramsay on a stick moment. But this is GOT. I'm afraid he will still get a few more victories. My only hope is the vision that the Red Witch has about Jon taking back Winterfel. So I'm pretty sure he will win, but who will be left alive out of "Mellisandra, Sansa, Devos, Briene, Jon, and Pod". I'd be happy if three of the six make it.

Last edited by CycloneGT; 05-20-2016 at 07:24 AM.
post #8291 of 9383 Old 05-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post
Back to Sansa, I really have rooting for a Stark Family reunion and a Ramsay on a stick moment. But this is GOT. I'm afraid he will still get a few more victories. My only hope is the vision that the Red Witch has about Jon taking back Winterfel. So I'm pretty sure he will win, but who will be left alive out of "Mellisandra, Sansa, Devos, Briene, Jon, and Pod". I'd be happy if three of the six make it.

You forgot Brienne's new red headed man slave.
jazzycat likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8292 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Bah! Briene will be off the market as soon as she sets eyes on the Giant. Women love a man who's a bit taller than them.
post #8293 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Bah! Briene will be off the market as soon as she sets eyes on the Giant. Women love a man who's a bit taller than them.
When you are Brienne's height you will take what you can get! She is actually 6'3" in reality and this is her with her current boyfriend...

Bobby 

post #8294 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
It depends on the beauty of the tall girl, I think. Notice that the young and gorgeous Elizabeth Debicki, who is 6'2.75" tall, doesn't look bad at all when standing next to the much shorter Geoffrey Rush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Geoffrey-Rush-walked-down-red-carpet-Elizabeth-Debicki.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1449410

PS: I apologize for the small size of the image. I didn't know how to make it larger.
post #8295 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
When you are Brienne's height you will take what you can get! She is actually 6'3" in reality and this is her with her current boyfriend...
You sure, it isn't her grandpa?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #8296 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
You sure, it isn't her grandpa?
She's 37, he's 46.....
Turrican4D likes this.

Bobby 

post #8297 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 01:59 PM
KOA
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Spaghetti of thrones: Ennio Morricone goes Westeros

http://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thron...d-w-1777545383
Spend your free time sharpening your sword and the first think you do before a fight is to plunge your sword into the dirt? Does that make sense?

Liked the Jedi one too in your link.
post #8298 of 9383 Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
KOA
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I'm not sure why when looking at that guy's wardrobe, the movie Good Will Hunting comes to mind.
post #8299 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
I'm not sure why when looking at that guy's wardrobe, the movie Good Will Hunting comes to mind.
I didn't even pay attention before, just saw the top of a tux. Man those pants are horrible. Was that his choice or his fashion team told him those pants are gonna win first place in ****ty pants category.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8300 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Is that jacket velvet?
GoCaboNow likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
post #8301 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I didn't even pay attention before, just saw the top of a tux. Man those pants are horrible. Was that his choice or his fashion team told him those pants are gonna win first place in ****ty pants category.
We are getting way off topic here but, her boyfriend is Giles Deacon, a fashion designer. Maybe in a Warhol sense...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Deacon

Bobby 

post #8302 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Procreation has historically had very little to do with it and currently has none, yet polygamy still exists. It's because men make the rules, always have, and they like to have multiple sex partners. If they can do it "legally", so much the better. It's why Joseph Smith made it part of his shiny new religion, and why it's still practiced today in certain impoverished, hyper-conservative and religiously calcified parts of the world.
To digress a bit, before brining it back to GoT:

Procreation might not be at the forefront of men's minds when they copulate with as many partners as they can, but I can assure you it's the underlying motivation.

Also...Why on earth would men make the rule that benefits only a small handful of them? That makes no sense. It's mostly rich men who get multiple wives, because they could afford them. Ergo, one rich man gets two or more wives and one or several poorer men end up with none. Hardly a good deal for "men" in general. So, you cannot say "men" in general voted in favor (or even voted at all) of polygamy out of self-interest, since it actually goes against their own collective self-interest (to have at least one wife). It is much better to have a limit of one spouse than to allow the hoarding wives.

People should read Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. There is ultimately no altruism in nature. We do good things for others because it makes us feel good (dopamine releases), ergo it's also inherently selfish. Doing good for others in your society is ultimately beneficial to onesself because the true unit in the human species is the social unit, not the individual. This is why, for instance, that most people are genetically hard-wired to be followers instead of leaders, "sheep" as it were. Without that, there would be chaos. The "individualist" rails against collectivism, but doesn't understand he/she probably is probably just another follower, and regardless, nevertheless, still at the mercy of society and benefits greatly from being a member. (roads, police, military, safety codes, food not being poisonous, etc etc etc).

In the social unit, if one alpha-male can spread his "superior" genes to as many offspring as possible, he's over-representing himself in the next generation's gene pool.

Women also go along with this (often gleefully), through a process called "social proof". It's when they see a man with another attractive woman (or several in a row or at the same time) and they get jealous and want to mate with him. "When it rains, it pours". This is social proof in action. Almost every man has experienced this at one point in his life. Women can unconsciously detect another's pheromones on the man.

This is done for selfish reasons (because they want his superior genes too, or what they imagine to be superior genes, based on what that other woman thinks). A lot of times it's all dogs barking at shadows (i.e. complete losers get all the chicks), but there is a solid genetic basis underlying this type of behavior and just because we are "modern" now doesn't mean these forces aren't still 100% activated.

Polygamy is a net negative for most men, and a net benefit for richer ones. Hence, "the sultan's harems" and so on. Making it legal is actually simply acknowledging reality, it's monogamy that's inherently unnatural. However, polygamy is unjust (to both sexes), and that's why it's not legally tolerated in western countries any more. Although not exactly illegal, since nothing is stopping anyone from knocking up several women and spreading their genes around that way, to let some other putz raise them. Being in a polygamous situation with one responsible man would probably be a benefit for his children, as opposed to what ends up happening now which is a bunch of bastards running around being paid for by the state or child support payments.

Kind of like Jon Snow, being raised by Stark even though he probably isn't even his own. He's his sister's kid most likely, so let's not assume he took him as a Snow for purely altruistic reasons.
post #8303 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rich powerful men have always made the laws, including polygamy if they could. Most of the time the multiple wives belong solely to them. AFAIK, the Mormons were the only sect to institutionalize polygamy across the board, with every man allowed to take multiple wives. Didn't bother Joseph Smith -- that "sharing" attitude helped him gain followers for his new sect and he knew that he, being the Dear Leader, would always get the pick of the litter.

Regardless, it's kind of silly to say it "benefits" women in any way. It's a form of slavery, sometimes benign, more often not. The women don't have a choice; they are chosen. There is no free will involved for any of the participants except the ruling men. It is good to be the king in such societies. Not so great being anyone else.
jazzycat likes this.
post #8304 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Rich powerful men have always made the laws, including polygamy if they could. Most of the time the multiple wives belong solely to them. AFAIK, the Mormons were the only sect to institutionalize polygamy across the board, with every man allowed to take multiple wives. Didn't bother Joseph Smith -- that "sharing" attitude helped him gain followers for his new sect and he knew that he, being the Dear Leader, would always get the pick of the litter.

Regardless, it's kind of silly to say it "benefits" women in any way. It's a form of slavery, sometimes benign, more often not. The women don't have a choice; they are chosen. There is no free will involved for any of the participants except the ruling men. It is good to be the king in such societies. Not so great being anyone else.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the women in those cultures had no power as unwed women, either, did they? So being attached to a rich and powerful man grants them a higher stature, even as a third or fourth wife than they would expect as an unwed woman or a wife to a "lesser" man.
post #8305 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the women in those cultures had no power as unwed women, either, did they? So being attached to a rich and powerful man grants them a higher stature, even as a third or fourth wife than they would expect as an unwed woman or a wife to a "lesser" man.
Perhaps having free will and choice was more important to them than stature? No way to know, really. But where it exists today, those cultures are invariably abusive to women and children.
jazzycat likes this.
post #8306 of 9383 Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Perhaps having free will and choice was more important to them than stature? No way to know, really. But where it exists today, those cultures are invariably abusive to women and children.
I understand that. And if I had a magic wand I would wave it and change that. But the reality is it is not about "stature".

Those involved only have so many crappy choices.

Given a choice between living in a ditch, and living in a cave, I'd choose the cave. It may not be perfect, but at least I'm not hip deep in snow. And I can hope my children move up to a hut.
post #8307 of 9383 Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

PSA - apparently episode 5 has leaked on one of HBO's sites, stay off the Internet if you want to avoid spoilers !!
post #8308 of 9383 Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Actually Polygamy has been shown to primarily benefit women. I know that sounds wrong, but its not. The man who has multiple wives is always very wealthy. The those wives enjoy his wealth. That leaves less women available for marriage. So large numbers of poor men have no wives.

On the other hand the few instances where a woman has more than one husband usually ends up being a situation where she is married off and shared by a number of 'brothers'. She's pretty much a house slave and life sucks. I forget where I saw the segment on that, but it was counter intuitive and a little bit eye opening.

Back to Sansa, I really have rooting for a Stark Family reunion and a Ramsay on a stick moment. But this is GOT. I'm afraid he will still get a few more victories. My only hope is the vision that the Red Witch has about Jon taking back Winterfel. So I'm pretty sure he will win, but who will be left alive out of "Mellisandra, Sansa, Devos, Briene, Jon, and Pod". I'd be happy if three of the six make it.
Well, that's certainly one way to look at polygamy, but it's not at all accurate. It doesn't primarily benefit women, as many wives are married off at a *very* young age (as young as 9 or 10 even), many times to very old men, the young girls are usually uneducated and kept that way intentionally (in the case of Mormons and religious sects in particular) and no, they aren't always wealthy men. Oh, and these women are usually slaves. They can't leave unless they secretly escape. They have no choice, they have no rights, and many times they are beaten into submission. Many women are kidnapped from other tribes/countries and sold into slavery. This has always been true, and is still true today. Some women may learn to love their captors (Stockholm syndrome), or if they are very kind to them and allow them some freedom. I know someone who was almost kidnapped back in the 90s when visiting a foreign country. She and her friend barely escaped. Today, girls are kidnapped off the streets in America and almost every country on the planet and sold into slavery all over the world. Human trafficking is alive and well in the 2000s.

I, too, would LOVE to see the Starks get their revenge on Ramsey. I think he's probably beyond redemption, as he's truly a psychopath and a sadist. He hunts people and lets his dogs eat them alive. So yea, don't much see him as a character deserving of redemption or forgiveness. Part of the fun of the show is getting to watch certain people be taken down, or actually change who they are as people.

Quote:
And doesn't that just suck for the women? Seriously though, while polygamy may be biased toward men, polyamory isn't, and apparently there is plenty of that going on in the (western) world today.

Also, if DNA samples were taken of children and parents (at least in western countries), you might be surprised at how many of the children aren't really their father's offspring. Women have a biological urge to have children with the strongest male genes, while marrying the strongest providers, and the two aren't always the same (case in point on the show, Cersei Lannister). Men, oth, have a biological urge to spread their DNA to as many women as possible. (This has all been proven scientifically.) Certainly on the show Robert proved this with all his bastard children, but he had no legitimate heirs. In addition, Courtesans and Paramours have always had work, and were sought out by wealthy monarchs who may also have had a wife. (btw, courtesans and paramours aren't the same as common street prostitutes.) Nothing much has changed in thousands of years (except prostitution is illegal now in many places, even for highly educated, refined call girls), and GoT is represents a lot of this pretty accurately, even though it's a fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
That depends. In many cultures, courtesans were some of the most educated women around, and equal to their male admirers. They had to be, in order to discuss all kinds of issues. And this was true among many different cultures and countries. They were consorts to Kings and noblemen (some of the men married, some not), and sex wasn't even their primary role, although it was a large part of it. But they were educated in almost every subject, literature, art, philosophy, poetry, music, dance, strategy, politics, etc. in addition to being trained in sexual pleasure, seduction and entertainment. Sometimes they even acted as advisors, consulting on strategy in such things as war. They had wealth, and power. If a woman wanted to be educated and independent, this was her best option, because in many of those cultures (for example during the Renaissance), most women weren't allowed to read and learn, except religious studies.
post #8309 of 9383 Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
That depends. In many cultures, courtesans were some of the most educated women around, and equal to their male admirers. They had to be, in order to discuss all kinds of issues. And this was true among many different cultures and countries. They were consorts to Kings and noblemen (some of the men married, some not), and sex wasn't even their primary role, although it was a large part of it. But they were educated in almost every subject, literature, art, philosophy, poetry, music, dance, strategy, politics, etc. in addition to being trained in sexual pleasure, seduction and entertainment.
For a modern day take on the classic courtesan, see 'The Girlfriend Experience' on Starz. Stars Elvis Presley's granddaughter in the title role.
gwsat likes this.
post #8310 of 9383 Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Liked: 3698
Damn you Game of Thrones, damn you to heck for trying to make me feel feelings

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page