'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2268Likes

post #8461 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 857
so Jamie is going to Riverrun to fight Blackfish and the Tully army?...the trailer for next week makes it look like he's joining up with them...but that doesn't make sense as Tywin was the main guy responsible for the Red Wedding so I can't see the Tully's partnering up with them...Brienne is also headed down there so it looks like a few storylines will converge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It's always been that way they are not "totally" free and do have the cliff notes until the end. I think with us so close to the end, there will be what seems like more "big events" to get us to that end point.

Danny doesn't always win, she spent a season exiled and wandering the desert. She's been enslaved, she's been used as a pawn by her brother. Her moments tend to be "bigger" but to say she's all triumphs is a misnomer.

Sent from nowhere
She doesn't always win, but she is alone in consistently having all these big selfie Instagram moments.

Btw, how did Arya know that girl wanted to kill the actress. Did she just guess. Did that girl hire the faceless men. Seems unlikely a no account girl could acquire their service.
post #8463 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked: 3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Alas Hodor is Nomor. (Hope he is not a Dead head)

I'm going to have three boys and name them Rickon, Dickon, and Hardon.

Arya is back, b####es.

Once a generation, there is a Slayer. Sam be his name, walkers be his game.

I'm kind of tired that they keep giving Dany these triumphant moments. Everybody else gets stomped on, but Danys keeps #winning. When she's not roasting her enemies, she's doing the Nuremberg rally. And why exactly should we root for her, hot bod not withstanding? She frees people, but has little interest or idea in what to do with them, except use them to "take back what's rightfully" hers. Entitled much? Even dario says she's not made for ruling, she's a conquerer. I freed you from the slavers, now come die for me so I can take back the throne my crazy father pissed away. Lookie dragons!

At this point I like the Lannisters better. They're honestly selfish.

I think Marge is playing the long con. She's too smart to fall for Sparrow's claptrap.
Lol @ Nuremberg rally. The more I see of her "armies" the more I'm pulling for the slackers in Westeros. I've grown fond of their "stone houses" and I'm in no hurry to see them torn down.

I hope you're right about Marge. Those Sparrows creep me out. Kinda missed out on the walk of atonement though.

post #8464 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It's always been that way they are not "totally" free and do have the cliff notes until the end. I think with us so close to the end, there will be what seems like more "big events" to get us to that end point.

Danny doesn't always win, she spent a season exiled and wandering the desert. She's been enslaved, she's been used as a pawn by her brother. Her moments tend to be "bigger" but to say she's all triumphs is a misnomer.

You could totally make a song out of that.
Ph8te likes this.
post #8465 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4543 Post(s)
Liked: 3972
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
so Jamie is going to Riverrun to fight Blackfish and the Tully army?...the trailer for next week makes it look like he's joining up with them...but that doesn't make sense as Tywin was the main guy responsible for the Red Wedding so I can't see the Tully's partnering up with them...Brienne is also headed down there so it looks like a few storylines will converge

That is what was said per Tommen. We don't know want will actually happen when he gets there. Remember Frey's are on their was as well. Allegiances change like the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
She doesn't always win, but she is alone in consistently having all these big selfie Instagram moments.

Btw, how did Arya know that girl wanted to kill the actress. Did she just guess. Did that girl hire the faceless men. Seems unlikely a no account girl could acquire their service.

She is also the only one that has had the means to have those moments. I cringe at your "selfie Instagram" comment.

She asked last episode. She figured it out when watching the play and then it was "confirmed" when watching the play again this episode. The girl who played Sansa wanted to play Cersi (bigger role) and paid to have the older actress killed so that she could get the role. She paid, they deliver a service, the "who paid" is meaningless when it comes to stature.

Sent from nowhere
post #8466 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 395
How long does the mark from the ww last on bran? can the mark be removed?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8467 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

here's a great slowed down version of Bran's visions from last night's episode...some great shots I didn't notice when watching at full speed- Mad King Aerys getting killed (stabbed in the back) by Jamie, pyromancers detonating the Wildfire in King's Landing, more of young Ned at the Tower of Joy with a bloody hand...

Turrican4D likes this.
post #8468 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
How long does the mark from the ww last on bran? can the mark be removed?

No one knows the answer to either question.

Sent from nowhere
post #8469 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
This week's episode really left a lot of balls in the air. Arya retrieved Needle, which leads me to believe she intends to leave the Faceless Man and go off on her own. Clearly, Jaqen H'ghar and his ace girl assistant realize that Arya has left the reservation. I foresee a very bad end for the girl assistant. As many others have done, the girl assistant underestimates Arya at her peril.

I can't figure out where Jaime Lannister's expedition to the Riverlands may lead. Their are so many shifting allegiances among the Lannisters, Freys, Tullys, Boltons, and a bunch of other houses, there is no accurate way to predict how it all may play out. I look forward to finding out. Most of all, I want to see Walder Frey and Ramsay Bolton both suffer a painful and humiliating end.

When Daenerys discussed needing a thousand ships I thought of last week's episode in which the new King of the Iron Islands ordered his subjects to build a thousand ships. If Danny has a few years to wait, that combination might lead to something. The monstrous size to which one of Danny's dragons has grown, though, promises to give her more immediate help. Clearly, the dragon has healed up from the injuries he suffered in the fighting pit. Wonder what Danny's other two dragons look like now.

One thing is sure, we are going to learn a lot more in the season's final four episodes.
Tack and Ph8te like this.
post #8470 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Up until now I thought Arya's story was a drag, to the point I was hoping she would instantly leave the guild and become an actress in this episode. I was happy to see her collect her sword and the promise of some movement there. Hopefully she will kill the other assassin and join the travelling actors to get back on her revenge spree.
I so want her to destroy her Faceless antagonist nemesis. Also wish she would loose that unattractive hairstyle, which ranks highest on the dork scale.
taxman48 likes this.
post #8471 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Ok episode, but still some interesting developments.

I can't wait to see Needle poke that b___h next episode. And in Game of Thrones, you either win or you die.

One would hope that Arya has learned the lesson that her father simply couldn't : there's a difference between being pure evil (an assassin for hire), and being dogmeat because you refuse to play the game. Arya needs to play the game the way the Lannisters play : to win. I.e. she needs to not only kill the other girl, but Jacquen as well (the faceless man). Otherwise she will never be free or safe ever again. You need to kill people who want to kill you, first, and seize any opportunities you have. I hope she would do to the Faceless Men what Dany did to the Khals. Kill them and then take over the organization, and reform it from the inside to give it a purpose. Because if there's any moral killing to be done by a group of supernatural hitmen / hitwomen, it's to help the all too numerous powerless and downtrodden in that world.
hmmm, didn't Jaq'en just say, 'a face is owed?' He implied it would be hers if she didn't kill her target by saying she wouldn't get a third chance, but maybe he meant she wouldn't get another chance to become faceless, not necessarily that she has to die. Remember, when they met years ago (in season 2, I think) and she saved his life and those of his companions (by freeing them when they were captured), he told her 3 lives were owed, and he killed three people for her. It's not clear to me exactly *what* the faceless men are, and what the House of Black and White is. It's still kind of a mystery. IS it a god they serve, or are they simply 'hire for kill' assassins? If it is a god, then, if she defeats and kills the waif, maybe that will be enough. A face/life is collected, and she is set free.
post #8472 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Most of all, I want to see Walder Frey and Ramsay Bolton both suffer a painful and humiliating end.
hear hear!
post #8473 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 572
There are only 17 episodes left - 4 in S5, 6 in S7 and 7 in the final S8. So the 15min spent with Sam just so he can steal a sword, which he has no clue about and did out of spite, just to give to Jon later, seems totally pointless.

It is obvious they are cutting out huge parts of the story and combining plots as fast as they can and killing off people because for some reason D&D have decided to cut the series short. I don't buy the reason given for killing all the Direwolves either, i.e. that it costs too much - they have money for yet another pointless dragon CGI scene which accomplished nothing since Dany already has the entire Khalasar following her, it was pure filler.

Confused about the whole Faceless Men and Arya story, there are too many unresolved questions. In the beginning it seemed like a imp part with magical guild, Jaqen etc and the potential for Arya to use these tricks, bu they turned out to be just paid assassins and Arya is back where she started with a little more sword fighting skills but none of the true magic the FM possess.

Also it was established that FM are really expensive, even the Iron Throne can't afford them. So how does a lowly actress, Fake Sansa from the play, get money to hire them to kill Fake Cersei? And if they are assassins with no moral code who kill people for hire, then the entire last season doesn't make sense.
post #8474 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
Forget to mention in my last post how much I enjoyed the part of this week's episode that featured Sam and Gilly. I love the way in which Sam left his horrible father a big "Fu*k You!" message by leaving in the dead of night and taking the family's Valerian steel sword with him. Show, not tell, I always say. I should add that I love Gilly's name. One of my favorite aunts was named Gillian but was called Gilly by her friends and family.
mike1812, Ph8te, cardoski and 1 others like this.
post #8475 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
There are only 17 episodes left - 4 in S5, 6 in S7 and 7 in the final S8. So the 15min spent with Sam just so he can steal a sword, which he has no clue about and did out of spite, just to give to Jon later, seems totally pointless.

those are still rumors and not officially confirmed...I don't see them wrapping up the show with 2 shortened seasons...that would mean 6 episodes to deal with the White Walker invasion and the final 7 dealing with Dany's invasion...that would feel way too rushed in my opinion...I see a normal 10 episode S7 and possibly a shortened final season...although I'm still hoping for a split extended Season 8

I thought Gilly looked hotter before she cleaned up...her Wildling hairstyle was a lot better
post #8476 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
those are still rumors and not officially confirmed...I don't see them wrapping up the show with 2 shortened seasons...that would mean 6 episodes to deal with the White Walker invasion and the final 7 dealing with Dany's invasion...that would feel way too rushed in my opinion...I see a normal 10 episode S7 and possibly a shortened final season...although I'm still hoping for a split extended Season 8

I thought Gilly looked hotter before she cleaned up...her Wildling hairstyle was a lot better

Yeah, I love that little over bite. Too cute.

Flambe and TitusTroy like this.
post #8477 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:

It is obvious they are cutting out huge parts of the story and combining plots as fast as they can and killing off people because for some reason D&D have decided to cut the series short. I don't buy the reason given for killing all the Direwolves either, i.e. that it costs too much - they have money for yet another pointless dragon CGI scene which accomplished nothing since Dany already has the entire Khalasar following her, it was pure filler.
You really have trouble picking up on the purpose of events.

Sam and Gilly was only pointless if you don't care about their characters (which almost everyone does), establishing his relationships, building character background for someone important, or introducing the Tarly family. And Sam knows all about Valyrian steel. He discussed it with Jon after he killed a White Walker. Jon already has a Valyrian sword, he doesn't need another.

Drogon wasn't filler either. It showed he had healed from his wounds, had grown again and more importantly was the first time the Dothraki had ever seen a dragon. It's one thing to say you can conquer a kingdom, but if you spend weeks sitting on a horse looking for ships it does nothing to maintain the respect of your followers. As Meereen has been demonstrating, power is respected and just saying you have it is worthless.

The cost and production of this show is astronomical by television standards and you are surprised they have to make it shorter? Or that featuring the direwolves is more relevant than the dragons? The former are essentially glorified dogs that will have little effect on the endgame, whereas the latter are legendary beings that will clearly be instrumental.
Keenan, gwsat, Ph8te and 3 others like this.

Last edited by VisionOn; 05-30-2016 at 02:59 PM.
post #8478 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't buy that the direwolves were cut from the show for budgetary reasons...they could have just kept them off-screen like most of them have been anyway up to this point if $$ was an issue...I don't think they play a major role in the end-game for the books and GRRM told the showrunners this so they decided to kill them off...I heard this season's budget is $10 million per episode which is crazy expensive even for HBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Yeah, I love that little over bite. Too cute.
that's a nice pic of Hannah Murray
post #8479 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the white walkers will be the finale, with Dany and the dragons being part of their defeat.
post #8480 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I'm pretty sure the white walkers will be the finale, with Dany and the dragons being part of their defeat.

I've always thought that the White Walkers would be defeated first and then the real ending would be Daenerys going mad/crazy just like most of the Targaryens before her (Targaryen curse) and the story would conclude with everyone trying to stop her...imagine dragons, dothraki, unsullied etc versus all the other noble houses...that would be epic

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-30-2016 at 04:14 PM.
post #8481 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
You really have trouble picking up on the purpose of events.

Sam and Gilly was only pointless if you don't care about their characters (which almost everyone does), establishing his relationships, building character background for someone important, or introducing the Tarly family. And Sam knows all about Valyrian steel. He discussed it with Jon after he killed a White Walker. Jon already has a Valyrian sword, he doesn't need another.

Drogon wasn't filler either. It showed he had healed from his wounds, had grown again and more importantly was the first time the Dothraki had ever seen a dragon. It's one thing to say you can conquer a kingdom, but if you spend weeks sitting on a horse looking for ships it does nothing to maintain the respect of your followers. As Meereen has been demonstrating, power is respected and just saying you have it is worthless.

The cost and production of this show is astronomical by television standards and you are surprised they have to make it shorter? Or that featuring the direwolves is more relevant than the dragons? The former are essentially glorified dogs that will have little effect on the endgame, whereas the latter are legendary beings that will clearly be instrumental.
And you are simply saying 'everything the show does is great' instead of addressing my points.

- Dany already had her 'taking command of Dothraki' scene. So now we're supposed to believe that didn't win her their respect? And at the time when people said watching her on fire would just convince people she was a witch, that was dismissed. It was the exact same scene, but with a dragon this time and yet another Dany speech.

- I liked seeing Sam's backstory. That's not the point. There are a thousand other characters and plotlines being ignored which are more important. They butchered Dorne but spending more time on Sam is ok?

- if the Direwolves are inconsequential, then don't show them, simple. Showing each of them die in scenes calculated to cause controversy is cheap publicity ploy as D&D well know.

- Arya and Faceless Men still make no sense as I explained before. I don't know what the story is in the books.
post #8482 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
- Dany already had her 'taking command of Dothraki' scene. So now we're supposed to believe that didn't win her their respect? And at the time when people said watching her on fire would just convince people she was a witch, that was dismissed. It was the exact same scene, but with a dragon this time and yet another Dany speech

I love Daenerys and her speeches but I do think they are starting to become a bit repetitive...her most recent speech from this past Sunday was meant to mirror Khal Drogo's excellent speech from Season 1 where he gets the Dothraki fired up about invading Westeros...Jason Momoa did an amazing job with that...

post #8483 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And speaking of expense, season 6 will cost $100m, but HBO is still making a big profit. GoT is their biggest and most popular show ever, by a very very very big margin, and the free publicity it gets and provides to their other properties is incalculable.

Which is why the idea of shortened last 2 seasons is so idiotic. And trust me HBO knows this too but there's nothing they can do about it since they gave the reigns of the show to D&D and there are most likely contractual obligations preventing HBO from extending the show against D&D's wishes.
post #8484 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
And you are simply saying 'everything the show does is great' instead of addressing my points.

- Dany already had her 'taking command of Dothraki' scene. So now we're supposed to believe that didn't win her their respect? And at the time when people said watching her on fire would just convince people she was a witch, that was dismissed. It was the exact same scene, but with a dragon this time and yet another Dany speech.

- I liked seeing Sam's backstory. That's not the point. There are a thousand other characters and plotlines being ignored which are more important. They butchered Dorne but spending more time on Sam is ok?

- if the Direwolves are inconsequential, then don't show them, simple. Showing each of them die in scenes calculated to cause controversy is cheap publicity ploy as D&D well know.

- Arya and Faceless Men still make no sense as I explained before. I don't know what the story is in the books.
You can't know how important Sam's story is until we get through it. Maybe the other stories are more immediate, but you can't say more important until we've seen where he ends.
mike1812, gwsat and Ph8te like this.
post #8485 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So far this season has been slow paced and boring. Hopping it picks up on these last episodes.
post #8486 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You must be new around here. I'm sure others can point out the irony of that statement.

So let's go through the points again, even though you ignored the answers I gave you.

Quote:
Dragon filler you said? Drogon hasn't been seen since last season, how long is acceptable for viewers to see him again? Dany was just told they would be spending a lot of time going nowhere. Respect is not only earned, but has to be kept. And the Dothraki don't tend to like witches that much so that's not a good power base to work from to try and convince your horse-born army to travel on ships. Another speech sure, but with a very important character who was last seen on the show a year ago. So she avoids a potential rout and the show brings back an iconic character. What's the problem there?

Quote:
How many of those important "thousand" characters exist in a bubble in which we know nothing about their families or histories? Or have just acquired a weapon to kill White Walkers? If you are dead on this show by now then you are not important to the conclusion. Sam has spent the entire show sitting in a hut or in the snow. His family has never been shown even though they are apparently of some influence in the region. Now we know. I noticed you didn't acknowledge you completely forgot that Sam is currently the foremost expert on the White Walkers in the Watch and knew what the sword represents. So you have now actually been reminded of something important because we spent some time with Sam's family and seen him acquire a powerful weapon.

Quote:
When the alternative is getting more reactions like "why are they showing the dragon leader instead of dire wolves? They just keep ignoring them." Kill them on screen and nobody will be asking where they are or complaining they do not appear enough or asking why when they go to war the wolves are not on screen ripping it up everywhere.

Quote:
Arya and Faceless Men still make no sense as I explained before.
I didn't address this because it's a non-issue. Is that story over and I missed it? There was clearly more to come given that Arya is still there. Did a scene not make sense? Plot hole? I didn't notice anything. Why not wait until that arc is done, it might actually make more sense when the story is fully revealed.
mike1812, Ph8te and John dhein like this.

post #8487 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb View Post
So far this season has been slow paced and boring. Hopping it picks up on these last episodes.

If you think the 1st half of this season was slow and boring, I think you should quit now.

Sent from nowhere
mike1812 and John dhein like this.
post #8488 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb View Post
We have giants but I knew there were trolls in this show somewhere!
mike1812, Ph8te and John dhein like this.

post #8489 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
There are a thousand other characters and plotlines being ignored which are more important.
We don't yet know what's going to be important -- or even what "important" will ultimately mean. It's a large, complicated world with multiple stories that converge (or don't) and affect each other (or don't) in myriad ways, many of them subtle and with long-delayed payoffs (if any).

The only way to appreciate and enjoy such a saga is to let it unfold in its own way. Let the stories tell themselves. Deciding what you want it to be, and then hating it when it turns out to be something else, is a sure route to dissatisfaction.

Unless, of course, you're one of those people whose only satisfaction comes from tearing down the creations of others. But there aren't any of those here, right?
mike1812, Ph8te, adpayne and 1 others like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #8490 of 9403 Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think this season has been slow/boring, quite the opposite, in fact every episode except perhaps the 6th has had major plot advancement and big reveals, in fact a lot of people have said things are moving much faster.

Can we not have constructive criticism and discussion here without being labeled 'one of those people' ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page