'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

A little over the top in the sex department. I wish HBO would focus GoT toward PG13 than R rating, That way my grandsons could watch it.

And a PG13 rating would help them understand the complicated political machinations and faction hierarchies which are difficult enough for adults to follow?

This is a show aimed at adults I see no reason to neuter the content to make it palatable to kids when the structure of the story isn't designed for them anyway. It's not a kids fantasy show any more than Deadwood was a kids western.

Frankly the show should be more depraved and vile. Medieval settings are always glossed over and romanticized and even Thrones makes living in a world of that era seem more palatable than it should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm still amazed that a few people find "gratuitous nudity" and/or sex such a horrendous thing but absolutely ignore gratuitous violence like it should be part of the story.

Come on...sex is even more a part of history than violence people--otherwise we really, really, really wouldn't be here.

Horse meat is available in Canada for those that are interested.
post #843 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I'm still amazed that a few people find "gratuitous nudity" and/or sex such a horrendous thing but absolutely ignore gratuitous violence like it should be part of the story.

I wouldn't call it gratuitous. but the most shocking moment for me was the almost casual way the young teenage boy was stabbed and killed, blood bubbling out of his mouth while his killer made a joke of him wanting to be carried. I thought it fit the context perfectly but was definately not for kids. Much more disturbing than a flash of boob...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #844 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386

Tyrion certainly knows how to play the game....better than his predecessors, it would seem.

Quote:

This is a show aimed at adults I see no reason to neuter the content to make it palatable to kids when the structure of the story isn't designed for them anyway. It's not a kids fantasy show any more than Deadwood was a kids western.

"Grandpa, what's that toy the Santa elf is playing with?"

post #845 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Another great episode tonight. I really like how they are fleshing out the Tyrion character. Dinkledge is doing a bang up job and if this continues it wouldn't surprise me to see him at least a few more awards. it's very interesting to see him play the game since he a bit smarter than those before him. I'm going to like to see if the others step their game up to test him.

Couldn't agree more. I've admired Peter Dinkledge's work since I first saw him in The Station Agent (along with the wonderful Patricia Clarkson and Bobby Cannavale). This series has given him the opportunity to display all of his strengths as an actor. Tyrion is right in his wheelhouse and he is making the most of it.
post #846 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

A little over the top in the sex department. I wish HBO would focus GoT toward PG13 than R rating, That way my grandsons could watch it.

As has been mentioned by other posters, not ALL material is suitable for ALL audiences. HBO, and other pay channels, are the last bastion of adult themed shows. Every movie, or remake, nowadays is stripped down for the PG-13 crowd. There are plenty of those to watch with your Grandsons.

Art
post #847 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
In life, there is "adult" material .. HBO's willingness to portray this material unflinchingly adds additional realism to the show .. although this is a series with it's own Realm/World/Universe, it is somewhat based in time .. Pre-Tudor England .. where the morality of the day was substantially different than today ..

There is a wealth of shows available for the younger viewer .. I hope the few we adults have keep coming and stay as riveting as GOT, Spartacus, Borgias and others ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #848 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

As has been mentioned by other posters, not ALL material is suitable for ALL audiences. HBO, and other pay channels, are the last bastion of adult themed shows. Every movie, or remake, nowadays is stripped down for the PG-13 crowd. There are plenty of those to watch with your Grandsons.

Art

++. These days the primary reason that we subscribe to HBO, Showtime and Starz is less for the movies and more for the original programming that they are all now producing. Before Showtime and Starz began to seriously crank out their own series, HBO was way ahead of the broadcast networks in the adult nature of its programming. There's certainly a big enough tent to hold the maximum PG-13 fare of NBC, ABC and CBS and the more frank shows on the premium cable networks and, hopefully, that won't change. Game of Thrones is in no way meant for younger viewers and could only be run on HBO or one of the other cable networks and that's as it should be.
post #849 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

"Grandpa, what's that toy the Santa elf is playing with?"

Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

There's certainly a big enough tent to hold the maximum PG-13 fare of NBC, ABC and CBS and the more frank shows on the premium cable networks and, hopefully, that won't change. Game of Thrones is in no way meant for younger viewers and could only be run on HBO or one of the other cable networks and that's as it should be.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I wouldn't call it gratuitous.

It seems to almost be a prerequisite for an episode of GOT.
FWIW, I am more interested in the drama than the boobies.

The violence doesn't bother me, it's no more than an R-rated movie from Hollywood.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #850 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 15
I'll never understand why sex bothers some more than violence. As a parent, my top concerns about movies and tv are, in order, violence, sex, and language. Before watching GOT last night, my wife and I watched The Ides of March. I knew it was rated R, but when the rating came up, it indicated only "pervasive language." We decided that our 15-year-old could watch it with us if she wanted to. She did, and we all enjoyed the movie. We do not let our teenager watch GOT, mainly because of the violence but also because of the sex. As she gets older, that will probably change.
post #851 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
SNL just did a great GOT spoof on all the stuff going on with the show.

But they screwed up because "adam friedberg" said that GOT aired right after Rango on HBO....but Rango is paramount so its aired on EPIX not HBO.

post #852 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

And a PG13 rating would help them understand the complicated political machinations and faction hierarchies which are difficult enough for adults to follow?

Frankly the show should be more depraved and vile. Medieval settings are always glossed over and romanticized and even Thrones makes living in a world of that era seem more palatable than it should be.

Quote:

I wouldn't call it gratuitous. but the most shocking moment for me was the almost casual way the young teenage boy was stabbed and killed, blood bubbling out of his mouth while his killer made a joke of him wanting to be carried. I thought it fit the context perfectly but was definately not for kids. Much more disturbing than a flash of boob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

In life, there is "adult" material .. HBO's willingness to portray this material unflinchingly adds additional realism to the show .. although this is a series with it's own Realm/World/Universe, it is somewhat based in time .. Pre-Tudor England .. where the morality of the day was substantially different than today ..

There is a wealth of shows available for the younger viewer .. I hope the few we adults have keep coming and stay as riveting as GOT, Spartacus, Borgias and others ..

I think these comments are spot on. I enjoy adult programming that isn't watered down. That's why I don't watch most of network stuff and network stuff seems to be getting edgier as a reaction. GOT is very adult and HBO isn't pulling many punches here.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #853 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I found the final scene when Lommy was asking to be carried unrealistic in the Westeros universe or even in our own Middle Ages. First, the kid was a peasant...of no appreciable worth to the soldiers or anyone else. Lommy had to know that. So his survival instinct should have been kicking in big time. He'd have been up and hobbling..."No, I'm right as rain, Captain, that arrow makes the leg stronger" The coup de grace is only a shock to our modern pretentions of civilization. Happened all the time after a battle here and in Westeros. Lommy and the writers had to know this. GRRM had to know this. I don't know if the scene was in the book or not, but it's a definite shock scene to our modern values...not the values of the world.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #854 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I found the final scene when Lommy was asking to be carried unrealistic in the Westeros universe or even in our own Middle Ages. First, the kid was a peasant...of no appreciable worth to the soldiers or anyone else. Lommy had to know that. So his survival instinct should have been kicking in big time. He'd have been up and hobbling..."No, I'm right as rain, Captain, that arrow makes the leg stronger" The coup de grace is only a shock to our modern pretentions of civilization. Happened all the time after a battle here and in Westeros. Lommy and the writers had to know this. GRRM had to know this. I don't know if the scene was in the book or not, but it's a definite shock scene to our modern values...not the values of the world.

That occurrence is in the book (as it is no longer a spoiler). I'm not sure that would be expected. Peasants may have little or no contact with Kings Landing soldiers although I would grant you life is probably fairly difficult. They played the scene as a shock to everyone. The ending part is an old story that has been done several times in movies that I can remember.

post #855 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
no talk about what ned's daughter had to say when the kings guard asked the peasant children to give up the bastard?

neflixis our nemesis
post #856 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

I found the final scene when Lommy was asking to be carried unrealistic in the Westeros universe or even in our own Middle Ages. First, the kid was a peasant...of no appreciable worth to the soldiers or anyone else. Lommy had to know that. So his survival instinct should have been kicking in big time. He'd have been up and hobbling..."No, I'm right as rain, Captain, that arrow makes the leg stronger"

As soon as he said that I knew it was game over.
You woulda thunk the kid to have been a little sharper....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #857 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

no talk about what ned's daughter had to say when the kings guard asked the peasant children to give up the bastard?

That was my last comment above. Have seen that before: usually in Holocaust movies.

post #858 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Yeah, the problem with that little misdirection is that Lommy was a redhead and they're looking for a dark haired bastard.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #859 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the problem with that little misdirection is that Lommy was a redhead and they're looking for a dark haired bastard.

You think the Kingsguard is told, look for a dark haired bastard because all of Robert's kids are dark haired?

post #860 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

You think the Kingsguard is told, look for a dark haired bastard because all of Robert's kids are dark haired?

good point, but we don't know for sure.
it may or may not work and it certainly draws even more attention to her.

and what kind of escape was that. the kids all had a chance to run away but most just hide and watch the fight. seem rather convenient how easy it was to catch the kids afterwards.

neflixis our nemesis
post #861 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

and what kind of escape was that. the kids all had a chance to run away but most just hide and watch the fight. seem rather convenient how easy it was to catch the kids afterwards.

Running away from the Night's Watch results in a definite visit from Mr Big Sword if you are caught later.

post #862 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:

Running away from the Night's Watch results in a definite visit from Mr Big Sword if you are caught later.

You have to be sworn first. These people are headed toward Night's Watch training and have not yet been sworn....

Bobby 

post #863 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It seems to almost be a prerequisite for an episode of GOT.
FWIW, I am more interested in the drama than the boobies.

The violence doesn't bother me, it's no more than an R-rated movie from Hollywood.

You missed my point, probably because I hit period when I wanted a comma I was referring to the death of Lommy. Seeing a child killed onscreen is pretty rare, but that didn't seem to bother anyone.But boy. if he'd been having sex...As far as the nudity goes, thats always been a trademark of HBO, hasn't it? It happens in this case to be true to the source, so you can't really fault the show. Although the Remly-Loras thing has me scratching my head...

post #864 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well run away is exactly what they did once their protector from the night watch was killed.

neflixis our nemesis
post #865 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
they ran and hid b/c Yoren told them to, different from deserting. and like the other person said. not a deserter if you haven't taken the black. He knew both Arya and Gendry were in trouble if caught.
post #866 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Although the Remly-Loras thing has me scratching my head...

- What's confusing you about Renly and Sir Loras?
post #867 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

well run away is exactly what they did once their protector from the night watch was killed.

Clearly the Night's Watch just can't get the staff these days.

post #868 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- What's confusing you about Renly and Sir Loras?

Can't reply without bringing up the books, which is, correctly, forbidden.

post #869 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You missed my point, probably because I hit period when I wanted a comma I was referring to the death of Lommy. Seeing a child killed onscreen is pretty rare, but that didn't seem to bother anyone.But boy. if he'd been having sex...As far as the nudity goes, thats always been a trademark of HBO, hasn't it? It happens in this case to be true to the source, so you can't really fault the show. Although the Remly-Loras thing has me scratching my head...

It would have been even more shocking had the boy been killed onscreen while nude and having sex. Its always comforting to know that there is even worse stuff that could be shown.

post #870 of 6039 Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

It would have been even more shocking had the boy been killed onscreen while nude and having sex.

Wasn't that the typical way to go during every slasher movie of the seventies and eighties?

Didn't seem to be big deal back then.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page