'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 298 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2216Likes

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Anyone else feel sad about the Free Folk?
Note really
Quote:
They were the most honorable people in the 7 kingdoms, and beyond. No rulers/ruled. Equal rights for women. Democracy. Concepts unheard of in the rest of this universe.
I guess you forgot the cannibals and the endless killing and raping of villagers south of the wall. They were humans and all the baggage that comes with that was present.
Quote:
They put their faith in Jon and risked their lives. And he betrayed them and caused them all to die because he's too stupid to overcome his emotions?
The free folks showed nothing but intense emotions for most of the time, which was a major reason of their doom long before JS
Quote:
Charges into certain suicide for no reason? I just can't accept that, its just bad writing for cool effect throwing all logic out the window.
Granted this show is not perfect....
Quote:
Another thing - Wun Wun was shown using trees in earlier battles, and should've used one now. They wasted a giant. He could've easily smashed that formation which encircled them, but he stood there waving his arms. Feel bad for him.
Yeah that looked weird, and his death was rather anti climatic.
JudgeSmails likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
The battles were okay, but one thing about running from an archer--after a certain distance, I'd imagine you could dodge an arrow just by zig-zagging unpredictably, or stopping and turning around to see their trajectory--which is why I half expected the line of archers to open up, hoping to catch Jon as he neared Rickon.
Well, he is a Stark

Honestly Rickon felt like filler. They show him after years, he's in 2 short scenes, and wasn't needed since Jon was going to attack Winterfell for Sansa anyway. I guess it did provide a way for Jon to abandon his battle strategy and condemn his men to death
jazzycat likes this.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Unbelievable! Wow, that was simply amazing. I gotta say, the best hour of television I have ever seen. They were correct, biggest best battle in TV history. I can't even imagine how they could possibly top this ever. So many awesome moments, dragon battle, army battles, Theon with Danny, Ramsay and Sansa, my goodness, I was expecting it to be good but not this good.

Well done Game of Thrones and congrats.

So much happened my mind is still processing everything.

God I love this show!!!
Wytchone and jazzycat like this.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Rickon was expected, most of the show was expected, really. I wonder if this is going to be the case going forward. Now that they aren't using Martin's source material so heavily. I'm sure there are major twists still from the timeline they base the rest of the show on, but I hope it's just as good as previous bits.

Rickon wouldn't be anything like a Stark anyway. He was extremely young when he was removed from winterfell. He wouldn't have any of the good Stark qualities.
jazzycat likes this.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Last night's show was epic in scope and Ramsay's death was emotionally satisfying, but everything happened pretty much as you would expect, so it was one of the most predictable and straightforward episodes this season. It would've been nice if they had included Ser Davos confronting Melisandre as part of the show to give it more of an edge, but I guess they already had a lot of ground to cover.

I praise the high production values of the episode - by far the the best of any television series, but certain scenes still had a very obvious fake-CGI look, the scenes with the dragons, in particular. It was still awesome to witness when
Daenerys said "Dracarys"
Wytchone and jazzycat like this.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I praise the high production values of the episode - by far the the best of any television series, but certain scenes still had a very obvious fake-CGI look, the scenes with the dragons, in particular. It was still awesome to witness when Daenerys said "Dracarys"
I know what you are talking about, but I think that they can only take the CGI budgets so far. Sometimes things reach a point where to get that next 10% in quality you have to spend 100% more. Maybe that was the case here.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Good Episode. I may have liked it better but I had some stuff ruined by spoilers. I've watched some GOT you tube videos which usually just recap and give insights into what is going on Usually that's all safe and good. But I'm finding too often that people are making 'predictions' that just hit the mark to solidly. This week it was Rickon and WunWun fates that had been predicted. I'm guessing it was part of the leak on redit.

I really was thinking that perhaps Jon Sno was dying for good when he was being trampled. They did excellently convey the confusion and helplessness of his situation. I do wish however in his final face off with Ramsay that Jon would have just let his archers fill up Ramsay like a pin cushion. But I guess this was more theatrical.

Is Jon's Direwolf Ghost still alive? His absense was noticed.

So does this mean that Sansa has a third wedding in her future? Lucky Girl. Sansa Stark-Lansiter-Bolton-Baylish-Sand. Boy she's having an adventure of a life.

Last edited by CycloneGT; 06-20-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

I really was thinking that perhaps Jon Sno was dying for good when he was being trampled. They did excellently convey the confusion and helplessness of his situation. I do wish however in his final face off with Ramsay that Jon would have just let his archers fill up Ramsay like a pin cushion. But I guess this was more theatrical.

it was a lot more than that.

Quit failing to flip the switch
Old 06-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I don't understand how Ser Davos can automatically figure out that it was Melisandre's idea to burn Shireen alive...Stannis and his army were fighting the Bolton army so it makes just as much sense that Ramsay (or one of his men) did it...after all the Boltons do love to flay their enemies alive
Burning those with "King's Blood" alive at the stake is kinda' Melisandre's thing, so it makes sense that Davos would be fairly certain it was her. The Boltons like to torture, but we have never seen them burn anyone - Ramsay thinks it's a waste of perfectly good dog food based on his mistresses death...
jazzycat likes this.

PS3/4 ID: Mav_26_
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Can't stand Sansa. She refuses LF's offer of help, LIES to Jon, then she wants to be included in military strategy but once again lies and doesn't tell Jon, Davos etc about her letter, leading to a senseless slaughter, she then rides in looking all smug with the Vale army.
Jon was stupid not to make use of his best available source of intelligence about Ramsey. Then, after finally hearing her, he went and did exactly what she expected him to do -- be idiotically heroic and suicidally brave. Jon is a terrible general.

Sansa kept her eye on the prize. She didn't tell Jon about the force from the Vale because she knew he wouldn't know what to do with them. Jon was willing to throw everything away in order to try to save Rickon, just as Sansa knew he would.

Jon would have wasted the Vale forces and lost the battle without Sansa doing what she did. Sansa has become a badass. She reminds me of her mother... and of Cersei.

Sansa, Dany, Yara, Ellaria in Dorne, even (I expect) Margaery Tyrell in King's Landing -- the women of GoT are suddenly bringing it. It's fun to watch.
Sharp1080, Keenan, gwsat and 2 others like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 06-20-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler_09 View Post
Was that the giant's name....Wun Wun... Yeah, I was a little sad to see the last giant get killed, but kinda expected it to happen. I agree, if they could have found a way to forge some primitive armor or weapons for him, he could have been nearly unstoppable.

there were countless weapons there available to him. nothing needed to be forged in that respect.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4022 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Last night's show was epic in scope and Ramsay's death was emotionally satisfying, but everything happened pretty much as you would expect, so it was one of the most predictable and straightforward episodes this season. It would've been nice if they had included Ser Davos confronting Melisandre as part of the show to give it more of an edge, but I guess they already had a lot of ground to cover.

Next week, I am sure we will see the confrontation, they didn't have enough time to do the confrontation and "resolution" this week.

Quote:
Good Episode. I may have liked it better but I had some stuff ruined by spoilers. I've watched some GOT you tube videos which usually just recap and give insights into what is going on Usually that's all safe and good. But I'm finding too often that people are making 'predictions' that just hit the mark to solidly. This week it was Rickon and WunWun fates that had been predicted. I'm guessing it was part of the leak on redit.

Is Jon's Direwolf Ghost still alive? His absense was noticed.

So does this mean that Sansa has a third wedding in her future? Lucky Girl. Sansa Stark-Lansiter-Bolton-Baylish-Sand. Boy she's having an adventure of a life.

The reason you gave is why I've kept to only specific podcasts. Too many out there these days either don't label themselves as "no spoilers" or will use the Reddit information as "predictions". I e been happy this far and kept spoiler free.

Having his archers take care of Ramsey would not have worked. That would have been a quick and easy death, when Ramsey "deserved" a slow painful one. There probably would have been no satisfaction in his death if the archers took care of that and the resolution would have been left wanting especially in the case of Sansa.

Ghost I believe is still alive, but wasn't at the battle. I'm not exactly sure I would say she's having an "adventure" especially after her time with Jeoffery and Ramsey.

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4022 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post
Burning those with "King's Blood" alive at the stake is kinda' Melisandre's thing, so it makes sense that Davos would be fairly certain it was her. The Boltons like to torture, but we have never seen them burn anyone - Ramsay thinks it's a waste of perfectly good dog food based on his mistresses death...

One caveat, we saw the flayed men being burned just in this past episode.

Sent from nowhere
DaMavs and John dhein like this.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Jon was stupid not to make use of his best available source of intelligence about Ramsey. Then, after finally hearing her, he went and did exactly what she expected him to do -- be idiotically heroic and suicidally brave. Jon is a terrible general.

Sansa kept her eye on the prize. She didn't tell Jon about the force from the Vale because she knew he wouldn't know what to do with them. Jon was willing to throw everything away in order to try to save Rickon, just as Sansa knew he would.

Jon would have wasted the Vale forces and lost the battle without Sansa doing what she did. Sansa has become a badass. She reminds me of her mother... and of Cersei.

Sansa, Dany, Yara, Ellaria in Dorne, even (I expect) Margaery Tyrell in King's Landing -- the women of GoT are suddenly bringing it. It's fun to watch.

while I agree with a lot of this, I hope they don't go overboard and turn Sansa into a full on villain. that little smirk at the end was vexing.
in fact, reuniting her with Arya in S7 might even make sense as they have both become cunning strategic killers (in their own ways). finlly something in common to bond over?
jazzycat likes this.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Boltons like to torture, but we have never seen them burn anyone -
Sorry, but the Bolton's has some flayed men burning in the field just prior to the battle. So yep, they do burn people.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
One caveat, we saw the flayed men being burned just in this past episode.
Valid point - I'd forgotten about them for some reason - they seemed wildly w/o context as to who they were. I was presuming the flaming "flaying crosses" were for the benefit of the archers to provide ranges. Seemed odd we had no idea who the poor souls on them were, but I guess it was just reinforcing Ramsay's "character".

PS3/4 ID: Mav_26_
Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Just to nit-pick, Sansa was never a Lanister. She was a Barathoen.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Why are the 3 dragons so different in size? They were born at the same time. Is it because Dracarys was free but the other 2 held captive? But they would still have been fed. They looked liked babies in comparison
Drogon is larger because he is free. There have been a couple of instances (or at least one) on the show where it was described that the dragons bred in captivity got smaller and smaller until the last ones were about the size of dogs.
Ph8te and jazzycat like this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone else feel sad about the Free Folk? They are all but gone now. The last Giant is no more

They were the most honorable people in the 7 kingdoms, and beyond. No rulers/ruled. Equal rights for women. Democracy. Concepts unheard of in the rest of this universe.

They put their faith in Jon and risked their lives. And he betrayed them and caused them all to die because he's too stupid to overcome his emotions? Charges into certain suicide for no reason? I just can't accept that, its just bad writing for cool effect throwing all logic out the window.

Another thing - Wun Wun was shown using trees in earlier battles, and should've used one now. They wasted a giant. He could've easily smashed that formation which encircled them, but he stood there waving his arms. Feel bad for him.
There are still a lot of women/children/elderly back at Castle Black.
jazzycat likes this.

Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
huh?

Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
But... she was / is and wasn't / isn't...

Sansa's married two times:

1. Tyrion Lannister.
  2. Ramsay Bolton.

She's been engaged :

1. Joffrey Baratheon (dumped for Margaery).
  2. Tyrion Lannister (not for long, then married).
  3. Ramsay Bolton (sold by Littlefinger).

Girl gets around, but she is still married to Tyrion, so there is question about whether her marriage to Ramsay was legal. Depending on what Westeros thinks is legal about multiple marriages.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Valid point - I'd forgotten about them for some reason - they seemed wildly w/o context as to who they were. I was presuming the flaming "flaying crosses" were for the benefit of the archers to provide ranges. Seemed odd we had no idea who the poor souls on them were, but I guess it was just reinforcing Ramsay's "character".
The point is to plant seeds of doubt into the men fighting with Jon.
Ph8te likes this.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tree, throw horses, throw corpses by the handfull, he had everything he needed to single handedly womp their formation. time to go bowling for Boltons.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I don't think there is anything to support the idea that Jon would have wasted the Vale forces. Yes he lost his head there, but a proper army and strategy changes things dramatically. Not just for Jon, but for Ramsay. With how the battle played out, it looked as if Jon & company would have wiped the floor with the Boltons if they had the Vale from the very start.
brahman12, Turrican4D and jazzycat like this.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I don't think there is anything to support the idea that Jon would have wasted the Vale forces. Yes he lost his head there, but a proper army and strategy changes things dramatically. Not just for Jon, but for Ramsay. With how the battle played out, it looked as if Jon & company would have wiped the floor with the Boltons if they had the Vale from the very start.

if Ramsay knew the Vale army and cavalry were there he would never have gone outside the castle walls, he would have forced a prolonged siege.

he was only engaging in battle directly because he had the #s (and supposedly better men, to boot).

Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Good episode, both battles were extremely well done, although I thought the Mereen battle was more interesting. I really think that too many watches, rewatches, extended editions, extended editions rewatches of LOTR may have numbed me to BOB type battles for good. Found myself waiting for it to be over and return to the story.

I assume Davos is going to ask RedW about Shireen before he does anything. RedW has been in a pretty fatalistic mood since Stannis went down, so I think she'll just tell him what happened and let the cards fall. Should be interesting.

Happy that the Tormund - Brienne love interest is still on the table. I thought he was going to be battlefield fertilizer for sure.

I figure that Tyrion telling Dani about all the wildfire under Kings Landing means that it's going to be a major plot point soon.
Garrett Adams and jazzycat like this.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I thought Banshee was violent. Wow!
Garrett Adams likes this.

These are just my opinions.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
if Ramsay knew the Vale army and cavalry were there he would never have gone outside the castle walls, he would have forced a prolonged siege.

he was only engaging in battle directly because he had the #s (and supposedly better men, to boot).
I don't think he would have. That's not his style, and it's a strategy he has been against in the past. Roose would have, but not Ramsay.

He only considered it at the end because he had no army left, and there was no way around it.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I figure that Tyrion telling Dani about all the wildfire under Kings Landing means that it's going to be a major plot point soon.
Yeah, They have been bringing up the Wildfire so often that it must be a plot point. I always thought that Tyrion used it all up on Blackwater battle. But I guess we are supposed to think that there is much more left over.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

so when Jon Starkgaryen finally presumably learns his origin, if the plot puts him in a place to side with Dany, he theoretically should ride Rhaegal.

if so, Who will ride Viserion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition