'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 6037 Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tokerblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Can't reply without bringing up the books, which is, correctly, forbidden.

- You could always jump over to the SPOILERS allowed discussion.
tokerblue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 6037 Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

You think the Kingsguard is told, look for a dark haired bastard because all of Robert's kids are dark haired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good point, but we don't know for sure.
it may or may not work and it certainly draws even more attention to her.


and what kind of escape was that. the kids all had a chance to run away but most just hide and watch the fight. seem rather convenient how easy it was to catch the kids afterwards.

I think they were told only have the helmet not of the hair color. The only one who knew the real difference were those who read the "book" and most of those that do know are dead. All that Joffery and they Queen know is that the bastard worked at the blacksmith and he had a custom helmet....at least thats what I remember from what was shown...Otherwise I would think they would ahve said somethign immediately in response...
Ph8te is online now  
post #873 of 6037 Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- You could always jump over to the SPOILERS allowed discussion.

Well, yeah...
But I appreciate the guys who have restrained themselves in this thread for the sake of those who HAVEN'T (like me) read the books.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #874 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Zzzzz... as someone who has not read the books, I continue to be disappointed with this show. I was hoping that we'd see them do something this season, but it looks just like majority of last season so far - lots of characters that make it hard to keep up with who is allying with who, some payoff in the end that may or may not justify all the maneuvering.

If you're a book fanboy this is a great show. If not, I don't see the big lovefest here, it's very hard to follow with not a whole lot going on.

Tyrion is great btw, his deception trick was the fun part of this ep. He steals the show with every scene. Everyone else, meh.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #875 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I'm contemplating the absurdity of pushing Bran out a window for no apparent reason, because the "why" can't be depicted because it's "too adult".

No apparent reason? He witnessed sex between the queen and her brother!! pretty good reason to want him dead.
vurbano is offline  
post #876 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SRTer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis MO.
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all the post about the last episode, I think the first episode with the child being pushed out a window several stories after walking in on relations between family members really set the tone.

Therefore, I'm not shocked in the least. Hell, they killed a baby just a couple episodes ago.

I the GOT, no ones head is safe!
SRTer is offline  
post #877 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 6,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

No apparent reason? He witnessed sex between the queen and her brother!! pretty good reason to want him dead.

You either missed, or failed to comprehend, the discussion concerning the show's R rated nature. Try reading from post #821 on and see if you get it.
RobertR is online now  
post #878 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sturmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Zzzzz... as someone who has not read the books, I continue to be disappointed with this show. I was hoping that we'd see them do something this season, but it looks just like majority of last season so far - lots of characters that make it hard to keep up with who is allying with who, some payoff in the end that may or may not justify all the maneuvering.

If you're a book fanboy this is a great show. If not, I don't see the big lovefest here, it's very hard to follow with not a whole lot going on.

Tyrion is great btw, his deception trick was the fun part of this ep. He steals the show with every scene. Everyone else, meh.

So why are you still watching? Neither my wife nor I have read the books, but we follow the story fine...and it's one of our can't miss shows each week.

I find it funny when people post about how much a show "isn't doing it for them" or "I don't see the big lovefest here"...well, don't watch. I don't see the "lovefest" with a lot of shows on TV right now...which is exactly why I don't waste my time watching them.

Sturmie

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
Sturmie is offline  
post #879 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Zzzzz... as someone who has not read the books, I continue to be disappointed with this show. I was hoping that we'd see them do something this season, but it looks just like majority of last season so far - lots of characters that make it hard to keep up with who is allying with who, some payoff in the end that may or may not justify all the maneuvering.

If you're a book fanboy this is a great show. If not, I don't see the big lovefest here, it's very hard to follow with not a whole lot going on.

Tyrion is great btw, his deception trick was the fun part of this ep. He steals the show with every scene. Everyone else, meh.

I and most others don't have a problem keeping up with the characters .. they are very well defined .. if the visuals / story / drama / don't do it for you, then nothing will ..

GOT is TV at it's finest ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is online now  
post #880 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Except for the opening credits I can't really tell the difference between this show and The Tudors. Maybe the Tudors are a soap using people? I think if if GOT had Queen, Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert, and a Kurgan it would be better for me. First season was decent but season two so far is a bit boring, IMHO.

It's a good show but the hype is unwarranted.
darthrsg is online now  
post #881 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edpowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

...If you're a book fanboy this is a great show...

This struck me as an odd comment. How would you know this if you haven't read the books?
edpowers is online now  
post #882 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I think that the statement is obvious from all the comments here.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #883 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

So why are you still watching? Neither my wife nor I have read the books, but we follow the story fine...and it's one of our can't miss shows each week.

I keep hoping it gets better, and I promise I won't come here to bitch about it every week. Just my two cents.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #884 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
JediMastr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, TX USA
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

So why are you still watching? Neither my wife nor I have read the books, but we follow the story fine...and it's one of our can't miss shows each week.

I find it funny when people post about how much a show "isn't doing it for them" or "I don't see the big lovefest here"...well, don't watch. I don't see the "lovefest" with a lot of shows on TV right now...which is exactly why I don't waste my time watching them.

Sturmie

I see nothing wrong with people sharing how much they don't like the show for whatever reason--it's just the other side of the coin--as plenty of people share how much they enjoy the show. Why tell them not to watch?...they're capable of making that decision on their own.

It's okay to offer a differing opinion. The truth is there are a lot of people that really enjoy this show (myself included), but there are going to be those that don't understand why, and those that simply hate it for what amounts to a very good reason in their minds. I'm honestly surprised we don't have more posts from people that gave it a try, and decided they're not fans...not that it's necessary for them to post, but from my experience on the internet, people aren't shy about expressing their displeasure. lol

thread closed
JediMastr is offline  
post #885 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 6,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post


I see nothing wrong with people sharing how much they don't like the show for whatever reason--it's just the other side of the coin--as plenty of people share how much they enjoy the show. Why tell them not to watch?...they're capable of making that decision on their own.

It's okay to offer a differing opinion. The truth is there are a lot of people that really enjoy this show (myself included), but there are going to be those that don't understand why, and those that simply hate it for what amounts to a very good reason in their minds. I'm honestly surprised we don't have more posts from people that gave it a try, and decided they're not fans...not that it's necessary for them to post, but from my experience on the internet, people aren't shy about expressing their displeasure. lol

At some point, though, you have to wonder if some people have masochistic tendencies.
RobertR is online now  
post #886 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

I see nothing wrong with people sharing how much they don't like the show for whatever reason--it's just the other side of the coin--as plenty of people share how much they enjoy the show. Why tell them not to watch?...they're capable of making that decision on their own.

It's okay to offer a differing opinion. The truth is there are a lot of people that really enjoy this show (myself included), but there are going to be those that don't understand why, and those that simply hate it for what amounts to a very good reason in their minds. I'm honestly surprised we don't have more posts from people that gave it a try, and decided they're not fans...not that it's necessary for them to post, but from my experience on the internet, people aren't shy about expressing their displeasure. lol

+1

However, I do understand the comment about how it is difficult to keep up with who is allied with who.
Someone posted a link a few pages back to an HBO page which breaks down the relationships and characters a bit more.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #887 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
paligap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's nothing wrong with criticizing a show on its thread. I've done so on other shows' threads. What invites a response is when you make generalizations about people who enjoy the show. Neither my wife nor I have read the books, but we enjoy the show.
paligap is offline  
post #888 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Yeah, the problem with that little misdirection is that Lommy was a redhead and they're looking for a dark haired bastard.

They are looking for a kid with a bull helmet, which was lying right next to him.
adpayne is offline  
post #889 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If you're a book fanboy this is a great show. If not, I don't see the big lovefest here, it's very hard to follow with not a whole lot going on.

I'm confused? How is it hard to follow something that has "not a whole lot going on"? This isn't a David Lynch film.

BTW, I haven't read the books either.
adpayne is offline  
post #890 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iontyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+1

However, I do understand the comment about how it is difficult to keep up with who is allied with who.
Someone posted a link a few pages back to an HBO page which breaks down the relationships and characters a bit more.

Half the fun of the show comes from the fact you don't KNOW who is really allied with who (Littlefinger, Tyrion, Varys, all have their not-fully-realized allegiances).
iontyre is offline  
post #891 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

They are looking for a kid with a bull helmet, which was lying right next to him.

Don't forget the prisoners (Arya) said it was him also. So we have bull helmet and claims from those who knew him.
Wytchone is offline  
post #892 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Half the fun of the show comes from the fact you don't KNOW who is really allied with who (Littlefinger, Tyrion, Varys, all have their not-fully-realized allegiances).

You have a good point (and I agree), but I was referring to the various kingdoms.

EDIT: Here is the link I was speaking of....
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of.../guide/houses/

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #893 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You have a good point (and I agree), but I was referring to the various kingdoms.

EDIT: Here is the link I was speaking of....
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of.../guide/houses/

this post should be made into a sticky to help all us got folks.

i watch each week with my kid and we regularly pause the recording during playback to ask each other what each of us thinks is going on. really helps us keeping up with intricacies of the plot.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #894 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I keep hoping it gets better, and I promise I won't come here to bitch about it every week. Just my two cents.



nothing wrong with your post. you seem to think most of us have read the books so that's why we get it.

on this no spoiler thread i would venture many, many people, maybe half or more
have not read the books, including myself.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #895 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

They are looking for a kid with a bull helmet, which was lying right next to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Don't forget the prisoners (Arya) said it was him also. So we have bull helmet and claims from those who knew him.

watched it again and when they showed him in the barn the bull helmet was right next to him. presumably he took it with him when he went outside.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #896 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

watched it again and when they showed him in the barn the bull helmet was right next to him. presumably he took it with him when he went outside.

The actuial son of Robert left it in the barn when they were being called ot arms....That kid was the last one out and saw that left helmet in the barn. When he saw this, he went back quickly and grabbed it. It was jsut his "bad luck" ;-) he knew twho the helmet belonged to, but at the time didnt care (old habits bie hard they say)...This was sort of a quick shot and if you dont pay attention when you are watching (with this show you cant multitask) you might have missed it.
Ph8te is online now  
post #897 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Zzzzz... as someone who has not read the books, I continue to be disappointed with this show. I was hoping that we'd see them do something this season, but it looks just like majority of last season so far - lots of characters that make it hard to keep up with who is allying with who, some payoff in the end that may or may not justify all the maneuvering.

If you're a book fanboy this is a great show. If not, I don't see the big lovefest here, it's very hard to follow with not a whole lot going on.

Thrones fits in perfectly with the great majority of HBOs dramatic output. Deadwood, Boardwalk, Treme, Rome etc. All shows where the characters drive the story and not vice versa and exist in an interesting time and place.

If you don't like the characters on Thrones then you'll find nothing here because you are not interested in what they do. But if you like those other HBO shows then you should know what to expect, because the only real differentiator is the setting. And for me, that's a huge plus point. It's an interesting world filled with interesting characters.

I don't do that books reading stuff either.


VisionOn is online now  
post #898 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia Vicinity
Posts: 4,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Is it a spoiler to discuss things HBO makes available on the web, or in the HBO Go extras, or the DVD/Blu-ray bonus features?

I don't think so, as long as it doesn't spoil unaired episodes. Yet a thorough grasp of that extra material would bring most folks up to the same speed as the book readers as far as current and past developments.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

 

rdclark is online now  
post #899 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If it hasn't aired on television, it's a spoiler!

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #900 of 6037 Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

If it hasn't aired on television, it's a spoiler!

I agree, plus the occasional early views offered OnDemand do not count as having been aired.
Garrett Adams is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off