'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 304 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2216Likes
post #9091 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 209
All I can say is brilliant, brilliant, fracking brilliant! I just sat there for the 75 minutes in total awe of what the GOT team created last night. I got to watch it several hours hours earlier the the west coast time on the Roku HBO GO streaming app. On the technical side (and this may have been previously noted here) the image from HBO GO was brighter and more vibrant than my regular Xfinity HBO channel's.
There were so may great scenes it's hard to list them. Cersei who blowed up the Sept real good was so vicious but also so elegant at the same time. With her short hair she looked like a true warrior queen. Lena Headey can say more in silence than many actors can with a full page of dialogue. The furtive glances were so revealing. Jaime's "oh crap" look when his sister was crowned was telling. The glance between Sansa and Baelish after the young noblewoman shamed the other lords in to declaring for Jon Snow was a great tease for next season. You got the feeling that Sansa got sucker punched by that one. She is the true Stark after all. Olenna insulting and putting down the Sand Snake daughters was very satisfying and Diana Rigg played it perfectly. Dany giving up her lover and making Tyrion the Queen's Hand was well done. Arya settling scores was, well, unsettling. That girl has some issues. Finally, the closing scene showing Dany and her armada sailing west with her dragons flying overhead was spectacular. It was enhanced by some of the best music that GOT has ever used. So after all of this we have to wait for another year to pass before we see GOT again. HBO GO had a couple of nice special features. One focused on last night's episode and was fairly brief. The other on was a 17 minute "making of" type feature on the last two episodes. It was very good. I haven't seen them show on On Demand yet but hopefully they will.
TitusTroy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 267
One of the best season finales ever.. Reading all the articles, looks like everyone agrees with the finale being outstanding.. Lots of funny posts comparing Arya to Tom Cruise masks in the M.I. films. Thats what you call a Kings Landing post was original.
It was like a chess match last night: Queen takes bishop, knight, pawn and anyone else that gets in her way..King takes care of himself..

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2689480
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #9093 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
All I can say is brilliant, brilliant, fracking brilliant! I just sat there for the 75 minutes in total awe of what the GOT team created last night. I got to watch it several hours hours earlier the the west coast time on the Roku HBO GO streaming app. On the technical side (and this may have been previously noted here) the image from HBO GO was brighter and more vibrant than my regular Xfinity HBO channel's.
There were so may great scenes it's hard to list them. Cersei who blowed up the Sept real good was so vicious but also so elegant at the same time. With her short hair she looked like a true warrior queen. Lena Headey can say more in silence than many actors can with a full page of dialogue. The furtive glances were so revealing. Jaime's "oh crap" look when his sister was crowned was telling. The glance between Sansa and Baelish after the young noblewoman shamed the other lords in to declaring for Jon Snow was a great tease for next season. You got the feeling that Sansa got sucker punched by that one. She is the true Stark after all. Olenna insulting and putting down the Sand Snake daughters was very satisfying and Diana Rigg played it perfectly. Dany giving up her lover and making Tyrion the Queen's Hand was well done. Arya settling scores was, well, unsettling. That girl has some issues. Finally, the closing scene showing Dany and her armada sailing west with her dragons flying overhead was spectacular. It was enhanced by some of the best music that GOT has ever used. So after all of this we have to wait for another year to pass before we see GOT again. HBO GO had a couple of nice special features. One focused on last night's episode and was fairly brief. The other on was a 17 minute "making of" type feature on the last two episodes. It was very good. I haven't seen them show on On Demand yet but hopefully they will.
Yeah I streamed from the HBO Go app. on my iPad mini 2 using Airplay to my Apple TV.

I didn't see the picture being any weaker and I was getting AC-3 sound as I would have from Comcast. Really great not waiting until 9 PM.
post #9094 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
All I can say is brilliant, brilliant, fracking brilliant! I just sat there for the 75 minutes in total awe of what the GOT team created last night. I got to watch it several hours hours earlier the the west coast time on the Roku HBO GO streaming app.
I am curious as to what time you viewed it on the Roku streaming? I recorded it at 6pm west coast time which is the east coast broadcast time correct?
post #9095 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I loved the incredible tension they wove so well into the buildup towards the wildfire explosion that destroyed the sept. Fantastic! As soon as it became obvious the boy was leading him deep underground I realized what was coming and literally slid forward to the edge of my seat. When Margaery's spidey senses began to tingle and she realized something was up, I became torn. I wanted Cersei to fail because I hate her, but I realized I love to hate her and I wanted her to succeed so she'd stay right in the game as a major player. Wiping out all almost all of her enemies in one blow was stunning. I wasn't expecting the king to throw himself out the window. Cersei seemed a bit cold about his passing, but I think she might have felt that she'd already lost him when it became obvious he was completely under the high sparrow's control. I felt a bit of a chill as she walked up to the iron throne to take her place there. The mad queen has risen!

I enjoyed Arya's treatment of Walder Frey, but the vindictive side of me wishes his death would have been just a bit more torturous and slow. She should have drawn it out a bit longer and let him know while he died that no male bearing the name Frey would ever be allowed to live again. That she'd wipe out his legacy completely. That was the thing that mattered to him the most.

It's nice to see Daenerys finally in the water and on the move.

This has been the best season of the show by a wide margin. I can't wait to see what next season has in store.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #9096 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty McSweet View Post

I enjoyed Arya's treatment of Walder Frey, but the vindictive side of me wishes his death would have been just a bit more torturous and slow. She should have drawn it out a bit longer and let him know while he died that no male bearing the name Frey would ever be allowed to live again. That she'd wipe out his legacy completely. That was the thing that mattered to him the most.
I thought she pretty much did that by telling him his sons were made into pie.
Sharp1080, Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.
post #9097 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah I streamed from the HBO Go app. on my iPad mini 2 using Airplay to my Apple TV.

I didn't see the picture being any weaker and I was getting AC-3 sound as I would have from Comcast. Really great not waiting until 9 PM.
My Roku 4 runs via HDMI pass through from my Denon AVR so that when I turn the receiver on I get 5.1 Dolby Digital + from HBO Go that the Denon upmixes to 5.1.2 (same with Netflix and some of the other steaming apps) The audio was excellent, especially on the armada scene. The music with the choir really came blasting through.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9098 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Margaery, was doomed along with everyone else. The placement and amount of the wildfire were the factor as we all knew from the first explosion witnessed some time ago in battle. If it could lift that bell and carry it, she couldn't have run fast enough or far enough unfortunately. Her screaming for everyone to leave just made the tension mount up even more. I have to watch this again in surround and on my larger screen.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9099 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I am curious as to what time you viewed it on the Roku streaming? I recorded it at 6pm west coast time which is the east coast broadcast time correct?
I watched it at around 7:20 PM. We don't get the Eastern HBO feed (or any of the premiums) in HD. Only the SD channel is available (one of Comcast's bad decisions based on its claim that On Demand is better..NOT). I'm not sure about what time GOT was available on HBO Go last night. It could have been simultaneous with the eastern feed or might have been just after that was concluded. The premium channel apps are all pretty good. On Saturday, the Showtime app had the season openers of Ray Donovan and Roadies (great show) so I got to see them early. The Showtime app is supposed to give us access to the eastern feed as it goes on but I have yet to see that one work.
Sharp1080 and oneeyeblind like this.
post #9100 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have to watch this again in surround and on my larger screen.
Absolutely! The audio in either DD5.1 or DD+5.1 is stunning.
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #9101 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Absolutely! The audio in either DD5.1 or DD+5.1 is stunning.
Yes, it certainly is. I had my system cranked and my viewing room rocked, literally!
Keenan and oneeyeblind like this.

Bobby 

post #9102 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm sad to see Margaery go

What I'm somewhat confused about is why were there only loyalists from the Faith guarding the Sept of Baelor? Where were the royal guard? For someone as intelligent as Margaery, who was also formulating her own plans, it seems like quite an oversight not to have her own security there, in which case they could over-power the Faith at one of the many, many exits (seriously, they're just robe-wearing youth brandishing crude weapons). This was a partnership with the crown, not a takeover from the High Septum, and the Sept is frequently used royalty; it's not like it's the military stronghold of the Faith.
post #9103 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

What I'm somewhat confused about is why were there only loyalists from the Faith guarding the Sept of Baelor? Where were the royal guard? For someone as intelligent as Margaery, who was also formulating her own plans, it seems like quite an oversight not to have her own security there, in which case they could over-power the Faith at one of the many, many exits (seriously, they're just robe-wearing youth brandishing crude weapons). This was a partnership with the crown, not a takeover from the High Septum, and the Sept is frequently used royalty; it's not like it's the military stronghold of the Faith.
Who would have ordered the Royal Guard to be there? Not Tommen. He was under the HS's thumb, effectively making it a takeover by the HS. But, of course, all the debate about the HS's motives are now moot.
Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.
post #9104 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
My Roku 4 runs via HDMI pass through from my Denon AVR so that when I turn the receiver on I get 5.1 Dolby Digital + from HBO Go that the Denon upmixes to 5.1.2 (same with Netflix and some of the other steaming apps) The audio was excellent, especially on the armada scene. The music with the choir really came blasting through.
I can run HBO Go directly on my Apple TV too but navigation with the remote sucks.

So I use iPad to log in (Can't wait for single sign on) to HBO Go and start playing the show, speed past the promos if necessary and send it to the big screen via Apple TV.
post #9105 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked: 3481
Quote:

The Kingsguard protect the King, they don't often travel with the Queen......partnership is a VERY loose term, this was a takeover by the HS, he just manipulated Tommen through Cersi and his one on ones. The Sept has been run by the HS and Faith Militant for some time now.

Sent from nowhere
RobertR, gwsat and oneeyeblind like this.
post #9106 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I can run HBO Go directly on my Apple TV too but navigation with the remote sucks.

So I use iPad to log in (Can't wait for single sign on) to HBO Go and start playing the show, speed past the promos if necessary and send it to the big screen via Apple TV.
The Roku's remote is very simple and very effective. Navigation of the video apps is pretty easy. I love the Roku 4 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9107 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
I thought she pretty much did that by telling him his sons were made into pie.
Two of them, yes, but I seem to recall from way back in one of the early seasons that he had eighteen or more. I might have misheard something and it's been a few years.

Edit: From the wiki he had "Numerous unidentified sons, daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, numbering at least over eight score altogether." I guess they're just a bunch of "bastards" running around. I guess Arya would be a bit too busy to do anything else if she made it her mission to wipe out everyone who might have claims to the house.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by Salty McSweet; 06-27-2016 at 10:41 AM.
post #9108 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The question of Jon Snow's lineage was partially answered. We know he's half Stark but the other half?
Spoiler!
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9109 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The question of Jon Snow's lineage was partially answered. We know he's half Stark but the other half?
Spoiler!

The other half is Targaryn (no need for spoilers). This was confirmation of the R+L=J.

Sent from nowhere
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9110 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I think they will keep Jon as king in the north and Dany queen in the south.

Or they start an incestuous relationship to make more targaryens. I'm sure they will get some magic womb fixer for Dany.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9111 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The other half is Targaryn (no need for spoilers). This was confirmation of the R+L=J.

Sent from nowhere
I believe Jon is Rhaegar's son, but for some reason the show did not really confirm that part of his lineage. Lyanna's whisper to Ned was inaudible on purpose. Hmmm...
oneeyeblind and TitusTroy like this.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player • Apple TV 4 • Yamaha RX‑A1050 AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 Speaker System
post #9112 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Taking a clue from you guys I reconnected my Apple TV fired up HBO Go and the murkiness in the dark scenes disappeared Comcast struggles with those scenes
oneeyeblind likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #9113 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I believe Jon is Rhaegar's son, but for some reason the show did not really confirm that part of his lineage. Lyanna's whisper to Ned was inaudible on purpose. Hmmm...

They talked about it before hand (Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna) in an earlier episode. This is where she was raped supposedly and become pregnant with his son (Jon). You would have to piece the information together and remember previous episodes (from previous seasons as well).

Sent from nowhere
action_jackson likes this.
post #9114 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
They talked about it before hand (Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna) in an earlier episode. This is where she was raped supposedly and become pregnant with his son (Jon). You would have to piece the information together and remember previous episodes (from previous seasons as well).

Sent from nowhere
But as we all "know", and Littlefinger pointed out previously, it wasn't rape.
oneeyeblind likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
post #9115 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I thought maybe they were secretly married and ran off...the other version (kidnapping) was to spare the king's feelings. If he knew, Jon would probably be dead--the same reason the other children were sent over seas, and why Ned told Cersei to take her children and run.
oneeyeblind likes this.

thread closed
post #9116 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
The Kingsguard protect the King, they don't often travel with the Queen......
And yet, none of the Kingsguard were within sight when Tommen was being kept from attending the trial by Gregor Clegane

Quote:
Partnership is a VERY loose term, this was a takeover by the HS, he just manipulated Tommen through Cersi and his one on ones. The Sept has been run by the HS and Faith Militant for some time now.
I guess I just don't like how Cersei's ruthlessness has paid off in such a rewarding way: half of Kings Landing's social elite must've perished in that explosion; one would imagine there would be some sort of repercussion - hopefully, that's where Olenna Tyrell comes in.

Last edited by tezster; 06-27-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #9117 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
So regardless if it was rape or not Jon would still be a bastard unless Rhaegar and Lyanna were secretly married; would it not? Leaving Dany the legitimate inheritor to the throne.
post #9118 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Didn't Jon have white hair as a baby? That reminds me...I swore they were going to try to burn Jon's body, only to find that it wouldn't burn, and his hair was going to turn white--and then the Red Woman was going to bring him back...that's where I thought they were heading at the end of last season.
oneeyeblind likes this.

thread closed
post #9119 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

Yes that is why I said "supposedly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
I thought maybe they were secretly married and ran off...the other version (kidnapping) was to spare the king's feelings. If he knew, Jon would probably be dead--the same reason the other children were sent over seas, and why Ned told Cersei to take her children and run.

That is a theory/rumor that they were secretly married and the kidnapping was them running off together. Jon would be in the same place as Danny and her brother when Robert was doing away with the line of succession.

Quote:
And yet, none of the Kingsguard were within sight when Tommen was being kept from attending the trial by Gregor Clegane

I guess I just don't like how Cersei's ruthlessness has paid off in such a rewarding way: half of Kings Landing's social elite must've perished in that explosion; one would imagine there would be some sort of repercussion - hopefully, that's where Olenna Tyrell comes in.

Gregor is part of the Kingsguard (thus his white cloak and gold/white armor).

I apologize I meant Margaery not Cersi in that statement. Well ruthlessness has paid off for many (Red Wedding (Tommen be comes king officially/Cersi retains "control")). This show has shown numerous times that usually the most ruthless are rewarded. The heroes, often are punished. This may change in the future, but really I think the "hero" will be someone who treads the line of being ruthless and hero like.

Sent from nowhere
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9120 of 9355 Unread 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
Didn't Jon have white hair as a baby? That reminds me...I swore they were going to try to burn Jon's body, only to find that it wouldn't burn, and his hair was going to turn white--and then the Red Woman was going to bring him back...that's where I thought they were heading at the end of last season.

I think you would have to ask that in the other thread, not sure if anything like that has been said before on the show.

Sent from nowhere
thehun and oneeyeblind like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread