'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 311  312  313
HDTV Programming > 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 05:34 AM 09-01-2016
I buy each season and will buy an eventual "mega set" and 4K or whatever set when it comes out.

Sent from nowhere

Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080 08:00 AM 09-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfman View Post
Guess I don't get much-never heard of him
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
It is worse for me. I never heard of him and when I looked him up and saw his picture, I still don't know who he is. I don't know how much of a "coup" this is when the person isn't an A list star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfman View Post
Same here LOL-LOL

Wow, I guess none of you like Ewan Mc Gregor, or Nicole Kidman? Have you seen the movie Moulin Rouge? I liked Jim Broadbent's performance in that movie.
johnestan 08:26 AM 09-01-2016
Haven't watched an episode yet. But my friends won't stop talking about it.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 10:16 AM 09-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
big casting news!...Academy Award winner Jim Broadbent joins Season 7 in 'significant' role...even for GoT standards this is a big coup...last season had Max Von Sydow and Ian McShane and now Broadbent...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/31...dbent-season-7

Spoiler!
This is great news! I can't believe how many people in this thread never heard of Jim Broadbent. He won an Oscar for Iris. He wasn't a one hit wonder either. Broadbent’s wonderful performances in Moulin Rouge and the criminally underappreciated Topsy Turvy, come to mind. For those who don’t know Broadbent’s work, he will be wonderful in Game of Thrones. Trust us on this.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 10:21 AM 09-01-2016
For those who can't place a face with a name (which included me), here is a picture of Jim Broadbent...

Tack's Avatar Tack 10:36 AM 09-01-2016
Unless I picture Bob Newhart sucking a lemon then no, doesn't look familiar.

gwsat's Avatar gwsat 10:55 AM 09-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Unless I picture Bob Newhart sucking a lemon then no, doesn't look familiar.

His talent notwithstanding, I think it's fair to say that Jim Broadbent is not matinee idol handsome.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 11:49 AM 09-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
This is great news! I can't believe how many people in this thread never heard of Jim Broadbent. He won an Oscar for Iris. He wasn't a one hit wonder either. Broadbent’s wonderful performances in Moulin Rouge and the criminally underappreciated Topsy Turvy, come to mind. For those who don’t know Broadbent’s work, he will be wonderful in Game of Thrones. Trust us on this.
Good Lord we have different tastes in movies!!!
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 12:17 PM 09-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

yeah I'm surprised as well...yes he may not be as well known as George Clooney or Johnny Depp in terms of star power but the guy is a fantastic actor and a huge coup for GoT
Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080 12:45 PM 09-01-2016
If Jim Broadbent had been a young woman with a pretty face and smiled you guys would have every statistic known about her.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 12:45 PM 09-01-2016
Broadbent is a quintessential Character Actor, and I am surprised as well more don't associate him .. I'm expecting he'll add his skill set quite nicely in GOT ..
hernanu's Avatar hernanu 01:04 PM 09-01-2016
Agree - he'll be great in the show.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 03:02 PM 09-01-2016
Quote:
To say the least!!! I own both Moulin Rouge and Topsy Turvy on BD. Topsy Turvy particularly is one of my favorite films. It's a biopic about W.S. Gilbert (played by Broadbent) and Arthur Sullivan and how they came to write The Mikado. It is a tossup as to which of the two was the most eccentric.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 03:28 PM 09-01-2016
If people don't recognize an old British actor by name, these days you can just say "he was in the Harry Potter movies" because there were so many of those movies and they had so many characters that the producers had to drag almost every aging British thespian into the series.

And yes, Jim Broadbent was in the Harry Potter movies too.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 08:07 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
If people don't recognize an old British actor by name, these days you can just say "he was in the Harry Potter movies" because there were so many of those movies and they had so many characters that the producers had to drag almost every aging British thespian into the series

Michael Caine must be upset that he was not called for a Harry Potter role
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 08:20 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
Alfred was busy with Master Wayne or I'm sure he would have carried Harry's bags from the train.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 08:39 AM 09-02-2016
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 10:20 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
Especially since he apparently was the only one who wasn't. Of course, he's only done 534 other movies so it's not like he's got no street cred with his mates.
Tack's Avatar Tack 10:26 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Especially since he apparently was the only one who wasn't. Of course, he's only done 534 other movies so it's not like he's got no street cred with his mates.

IMBD credits him with 161 movies, which is still nuts.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 10:29 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
So I was close then.
ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay 10:36 AM 09-02-2016
Quote:
Hah, I was thinking the same thing. I have Moulin Rouge, but only because the wife likes it. I hated it personally, and I don't think I've seen Topsy Turvy.

I know him from Harry Potter (Half Blood Prince), though I know I have seen him in other things as well, I just can't name them.
Yrd's Avatar Yrd 04:51 PM 09-02-2016
I didn't know the name, but when I googled it, I remembered the face as the police captain in Hot Fuzz.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 12:45 AM 09-03-2016
Quote:
That's only about the same number of straight to DVD movies that Nicholas Cage makes in a week though.
Tags: Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
First ... 311  312  313

Up