'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 315 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2287Likes
post #9421 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
^^^ Dude! Spoiler! Geez, now you've ruined it.
I could swear I wrapped that in a spoiler tag .. oh, well, now it's out there, I'll need to check Twitter and see if it's trending yet ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'm not going to talk about "The Books"
Too late! A thousand lashes for that man!

First rule of not talking about the source material is not referring to the type of source material it is!

post #9423 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Personally, I think even having the "Book", "No Book" threads is pretty much redundant these days ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #9424 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 3589
Quote:
Personally, I think even having the "Book", "No Book" threads is pretty much redundant these days ..

I agree. We need to bring our two great houses together for the final assault.
archiguy likes this.
post #9425 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I agree. We need to bring our two great houses together for the final assault.
And to the Victor, go the spoils (er) ..

Uncle Willie

post #9426 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
I'm not going to talk about "The Books", however, I had planned on commenting on GRRM .. I have known Martin since he was hawking his material at a small table at Fantasy and Comic Conventions .. and, I can tell you this .. since he's collected the fat paychecks from HBO and then subsequently coughed out the famous "outline", he's had no real incentive to finish the series .. although he is writing, just not that .. as well, he has digressed back to the Convention / Travel / Bask in the Glow of his fans mode, which he promised to avoid in order to finish "The Books" ..

I don't blame the guy, fame is addictive, especially at his age .. I'm not going to be surprised if it ends up being another Robert Ludlum, etc, scenario
At his age, finishing up the books would just get him more money to leave to his heirs.
post #9427 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
the episodes will each be longer so we should actually be getting about the same amount of content.
Who said that ?

post #9428 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
At his age, finishing up the books would just get him more money to leave to his heirs.
George has plenty of money .. like another George (Lucas), the licensing income alone brings in plenty .. what heirs he may have, since he has no known children and I doubt he ever will at this point unless he's donated to a sperm bank, will milk it like all the other heirs of any Celeb does these days ..
oneeyeblind likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #9429 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3478 Post(s)
Liked: 3439
I hear he can't go to Mets games anymore because his fans are constantly yelling at him to stop goofing off and get back to work.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9430 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Who said that ?

http://winteriscoming.net/2017/01/03...-7-supersized/

I know it's a bit of speculation at this point but I've heard it from multiple sources.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9431 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2038
I think the episodes will run as long as they always have. The episodes may be technically more difficult to shoot and that's why the production schedule is the same but I'm not taking that to mean more content on screen. Saying "an hour long" is based on the designated slot in the HBO schedule but they rarely ever reached that. Even the "longer episodes" they used to produce barely made it to 60 minutes run time.

So I expect, two minutes of recap, another minute for the titles, 50 minutes of actual content (if that), another minute for the credits and HBO padding to make it to the hour mark. With the last episode in each season stretching to 80 content minutes.
Keenan likes this.

post #9432 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With their production budget, they probably shoot enough footage that they could pad it out.

But would that result in a better product? They could add meaningless scenes which they otherwise would have cut.
post #9433 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I think the episodes will run as long as they always have. The episodes may be technically more difficult to shoot and that's why the production schedule is the same but I'm not taking that to mean more content on screen. Saying "an hour long" is based on the designated slot in the HBO schedule but they rarely ever reached that. Even the "longer episodes" they used to produce barely made it to 60 minutes run time.

So I expect, two minutes of recap, another minute for the titles, 50 minutes of actual content (if that) and HBO padding to make it to the hour mark. With the last episode in each season stretching to 80 content minutes.
I agree, and I that's how I read that linked-to piece. Because they've shortened the show down to 15 eps for the final 2 seasons they're spending more resources(time/money) to squeeze more into those 15 eps. The actual episode length will be about the same length as they've always been, it just may have more locations/scenes within each episode(which costs more time/money).
post #9434 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Not to mention the sheer lack of book/no-book drama in the Expanse and Magicians threads is incredibly disappointing.
post #9435 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A Youtuber I follow for GOT episode analysis and backstory with a wealth of knowledge on GOT and the books.

@ about the 9 minute mark he mentions the extended length of upcoming episodes.

Take it for what you wish.

post #9436 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
I'm not going to talk about "The Books", however, I had planned on commenting on GRRM .. I have known Martin since he was hawking his material at a small table at Fantasy and Comic Conventions .. and, I can tell you this .. since he's collected the fat paychecks from HBO and then subsequently coughed out the famous "outline", he's had no real incentive to finish the series .. although he is writing, just not that .. as well, he has digressed back to the Convention / Travel / Bask in the Glow of his fans mode, which he promised to avoid in order to finish "The Books" ..

I don't blame the guy, fame is addictive, especially at his age .. I'm not going to be surprised if it ends up being another Robert Ludlum, etc, scenario

you are stating your opinion as facts which may not be correct...e-mailing him a few times is not the same as knowing him and to state that the HBO series has given him no incentive to finish the books is your opinion and not based on anything you know firsthand through him...I know a lot of people have come to that same conclusion but once again no one but GRRM knows the real story...yes HBO has made him more rich then the books alone have but I don't doubt that he wants to finish these books and deliver an ending and an overall series for the ages that will live on in literary history...I think he wants Song of Ice and Fire to stand up with Lord of the Rings in terms of fantasy books...so his high standards have more to do with the delays then anything else

my opinion has always been that we should never dictate to a writer how fast to write...how would people feel if others told you how fast to do your job?...GRRM is a brilliant writer and the reason his books are so good are because he writes at his own pace...I don't want him to rush for the sake of pleasing diehard fans...take your time and release the books when you feel they reach your standard...he is known for being a slow writer and changes major plot points frequently during the course of writing...GRRM is a literary genius and I think fans should give him more of a break
post #9437 of 9441 Unread 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM

I don't worship GRRM as others do .. I am, however, a student of his work and have known him a long, long time, and, I can say I have read everything he's ever written, many more than once .. I also have enough respect for the man to not get into the why's and where's of his way of doing things ..

on his work, it's not as great as some like to think .. he borrows from this and that and molds it to his liking, much like other authors .. there is not much in the way of new ground .. yes, people like to compare him to Tolkien .. wrongly so, IMO
oneeyeblind likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #9438 of 9441 Unread 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 63
It must be tempting for GRRM to tell the crazy fans to f### off, let him enjoy his life, and stop speculating over when he'll keel over. Also, to change up the ending for his books.
post #9439 of 9441 Unread 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Game of Thrones producers confirm final season only 6 episodes

The eighth and final season of Game of Thrones will indeed only be six episodes long, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss said Sunday...it’s only going to be six episodes for the final season,” Benioff said during a featured speaker panel at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas...“From the beginning we’ve wanted to tell a 70-hour movie. It will turn out to be a 73-hour movie, but it’s stayed relatively the same of having the beginning, middle and now we’re coming to the end...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/12/game-of-thrones-sxsw/
post #9440 of 9441 Unread 03-12-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If they write the finale with some unanswered questions, they can probably make several blockbuster movies.

So instead of spending $10 million an episode, spend $100 million for a 2-3 hour movie every couple of years and they can make bank.

But the kid actors are growing up fast so they can't string it along for too long.

Plus they'd probably have to renegotiate the rights, as presumably TV show rights doesn't include movie rights.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9441 of 9441 Unread Today, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Game of Thrones dragons are 'the size of 747s' in season 7

For Game of Thrones season 7, which has Daenerys’ trio of beasts headed to Westeros as part of the dragon queen’s invading fleet, the creatures are more fearsome than ever before..."The dragons this year are the size of 747s,” director Matt Shakman tells EW...“Drogon is the biggest of the bunch — his flame is 30-feet in diameter!”...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/game-of-...son-7-dragons/
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread