'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 335 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4191Likes

post #10021 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Well we don't know yet (it could be that slow acting poison like they used with Cersi's daughter. We can assume they didn't, but we don't know for sure.
They also got hit by a surprise attack where they weren't prepared for battle. I'm not sure that if I wasn't expecting a fight that I would keep my edged weapons constantly poisoned as the chance of accident is high. It's likely also possible the poison goes "stale" if not "refreshed", depending on the exact poison so that even if they had been poisoned, the poison wouldn't be active with the surprise attack.

Now maybe Euron will keel over as he presents his prize to Cersei, but I would be surprised...

PS3/4 ID: Mav_26_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
HBO is no AMC...I'm sure if none of the scripts come back as being HBO-worthy I don't think they will force a spinoff...HBO is too smart for that...that being said I'm also with you that any spinoff won't generate near the excitement for myself as the main series (especially if it's a prequel)...rumors are that the spinoff will be based on the fall of Valyria (if true that's a good setting)
John from Cincinnati.
post #10023 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Was not Yara hanging from the bow of her own ship during the final scenes of the battle? Did Theon not focus on her before he started a pathetic dog paddle with a bit of flotsam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
That's what I thought but I've seen so many people saying she's alive that I assumed I was wrong.
I thought the same also.

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & HD Fury Linker| Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Submersive Master/Slave |
Control : Control 4 |

post #10024 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4810 Post(s)
Liked: 4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post
They also got hit by a surprise attack where they weren't prepared for battle. I'm not sure that if I wasn't expecting a fight that I would keep my edged weapons constantly poisoned as the chance of accident is high. It's likely also possible the poison goes "stale" if not "refreshed", depending on the exact poison so that even if they had been poisoned, the poison wouldn't be active with the surprise attack.

Now maybe Euron will keel over as he presents his prize to Cersei, but I would be surprised...

Oh I totally agree with your assessment, we don't know if they always keep it poisoned, or only during prep for battle. I would say chances are they didn't get a chance, but I wouldn't be mad if Euron keeled over after or during presentation.
post #10025 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Highway sign changed to Jon Snow Parkway

The North Remembers!

(credit: Twitter/janicewright70)
RLBURNSIDE and MartyMcFlyy like this.

Last edited by tezster; 07-28-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #10026 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran O'Hern View Post
John from Cincinnati.

one of the rare HBO mistakes...Vinyl being the other
post #10027 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked: 4090
I quite liked JfC, odd as it was. One of the best theme songs evah -- Johnny Appleseed by the great Joe Strummer, too.
Keenan likes this.
post #10028 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
SO what's the over/under on Syrio (Arya's trainer) reappearing?
He must be dead, otherwise the knight commander guy who killed him, can't remember his name, wouldn't have been around for Arya to kill later on.
post #10029 of 11247 Old 07-28-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
He must be dead, otherwise the knight commander guy who killed him, can't remember his name, wouldn't have been around for Arya to kill later on.

maybe he was one of the Faceless Men and swapped faces with someone before escaping...but I agree that he's dead...
post #10030 of 11247 Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I agree. I think that Syrio is Wicked Witch dead, as opposed to being merely TV dead.
mgkdragn likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #10031 of 11247 Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
HBO is no AMC...I'm sure if none of the scripts come back as being HBO-worthy I don't think they will force a spinoff...HBO is too smart for that...that being said I'm also with you that any spinoff won't generate near the excitement for myself as the main series (especially if it's a prequel)...rumors are that the spinoff will be based on the fall of Valyria (if true that's a good setting)
From what I've gathered, there are multi-scripts in development .. the one constant seems to be, they are all prequels .. makes sense ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10032 of 11247 Old 07-29-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree. I think that Syrio is Wicked Witch dead, as opposed to being merely TV dead.
Sadly, I'd have to agree ..
gwsat likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10033 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM

I thought this was a really good episode. It ranged the span of emotions and had some great 1 on 1 scenes (Tyrion/Jon and Oleanna/Jamie). I think people may get tired of the missteps, but to me, they worked and made sense. CR to those left didn't mean anything, which was a major miscalculation.
Keenan, gwsat and TitusTroy like this.
post #10034 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Agreed about the 1 on 1 scenes. Of course there was a little of Dany and Jon too which was a very important follow up scene to their earlier first meeting.

Tyrion once again gives what seems like good advice based on great inside info and understanding which turns out to be just enough out of date to be bad advice. The Lannisters once again outsmart Dany's forces. The powerful women at the council meeting she had not long ago are rapidly disappearing.

Of course that final scene with Oleanna giving a "deathbed confession" about Joffrey's assassination is something a lot of folks have been hoping to see. Tyrion vindicated but far too late to matter. Will Jamie even tell Cersei? It might not be productive to do so.

Interesting that Jon said outright "I'm not a Stark", though obviously he said it for a different reason than what we know.

Sansa is reunited with Brandon but he has changed in a confusing way to her and isn't remotely the boy she last knew. His knowledge of her wedding night was very disturbing and creepy to Sansa - that he chose that particular thing to reveal shows he has a lot to learn about not only how his power works but how to use it.
David F, RobertR, thehun and 3 others like this.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #10035 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 563
House Tyrell wasn't much of an ally, it seems. They couldn't even keep the loyalty of the Tarleys.

So Dany has the remaining Unsullied, who are alone in a part of the continent where they're vulnerable, and the Dothraki. Did they bring their horses across the Narrow Sea?

Even if they did, they are not of much use on that island, unless they're encamped somewhere on the continent.

Seems like Dragonstone isn't necessarily the best strategic place to be, other than the dragon glass, which Dany didn't know about.

If not for the dragons, it would be easy to do a naval blockade. In fact, where do they get food from? It would be inefficient to bring it up that narrow bridge and steps. The real life island is very small and not really meant for a castle.
locomo likes this.
post #10036 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

wow...fantastic episode...each episode keeps getting better and better...Cersei's counter-moves are brilliant...totally not how I was expecting this battle to play out...I think most people expected Daenery's army to make relatively easy work of the Lannister's in preparation for the real war against the White Walkers...I was expecting Cersei to win a few battles but she's totally dominating right now (I'm sure that will change soon and is meant to make Dany look vulnerable)...really great strategy by Cersei...loved her revenge on Ellaria Sand and the final scene with Jamie and Lady Olenna was very well done...I'm hearing next week's episode is epic so buckle up
gwsat and Ph8te like this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 07-30-2017 at 08:53 PM.
post #10037 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
wow...fantastic episode...each episode keeps getting better and better...Cersei's counter-moves are brilliant...totally not how I was expecting this battle to play out...I think most people expected Daenery's army to make relatively easy work of the Lannister's in preparation for the real war against the White Walkers...really great strategy by Cersei...loved her revenge on Ellaria Sand and the final scene with Jamie and Lady Olenna was very well done...I'm hearing next week's episode is epic so buckle up
Well without Euron, she'd be in trouble.

But I wonder if Euron bringing Yara along was a good idea. Yara could tell Cersei that Euron originally planned to ally with Dany, not her, until they made an alliance with Dany first.
post #10038 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Well without Euron, she'd be in trouble.

But I wonder if Euron bringing Yara along was a good idea. Yara could tell Cersei that Euron originally planned to ally with Dany, not her, until they made an alliance with Dany first.

that's the point...she allied herself with Euron because she knew she needed to control the seas...and the fakeout with Casterly Rock was brilliant echoing a callback from an earlier season where Jamie was tricked by Robb Stark...plus Cersei also has that giant crossbow to take out the dragons and it looks like she might get the Iron Bank to support her as well...could Cersei actually end up defeating Daenerys?...I highly doubt it but the show is doing a good job of putting doubts in my mind
post #10039 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No way those crossbows would work unless they have guidance tech or magic.

Or they're heat-seeking.
post #10040 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It will be interesting to see what happens, but feels more and more like everyone has to band together to kill the white walkers. B. Stark appears to be the key to it all.

All this other stuff seems like filler until that reality sets in for our characters. Unite or die.
post #10041 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
Sansa is reunited with Brandon but he has changed in a confusing way to her and isn't remotely the boy she last knew. His knowledge of her wedding night was very disturbing and creepy to Sansa - that he chose that particular thing to reveal shows he has a lot to learn about not only how his power works but how to use it.
What a terrible and wonderful power to have, it would surely warp you, so Bran turning into an "old soul" to the point of barely being recognizable was very well done. Great acting there. I just watched the episode twice, and some of those long-overdue dialogue moments multiple times.
post #10042 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
B. Stark appears to be the key to it all.
"You will never walk again, but you will fly."

I really wonder when / if Bran does warg into one of Dany's Dragons, if it will be at a crucial WTF moment when suddenly one of the dragons is an all-knowing Oracle who can speak. The prophecy from the old One-Eyed raven could be that he'll warg into a raven or other natural bird.

Maybe..but I'm hoping it's a dragon he'll inhabit. If that happens I wonder if he'll be able to speak through them. That'll scare 'em. I mean, a fire breathing dragon is one thing, but one who's actually a Stark boy? Jamie better run, LOL.

Aside from warging, I mean, Bran's tactical value for information alone is priceless. Even Varys' spies can't compete with what Bran could muster. Actually, even the NSA + Google + the internet couldn't really compete with a man who can see any event, past, present, or future. It's more powerful than any army. Ok maybe not an army of the dead, but certainly any army of the living. Combine that information gathering skill with Arya's assassination skill? That's unstoppable.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 07-30-2017 at 11:14 PM.
post #10043 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Or they're heat-seeking.
Or the Lannisters built hundreds of them. And maybe put a bunch on ships too, not just King's Landing walls.

Big dragons are slow to turn, like a 747. I hesitate to bring the laws of physics into a discussion of dragons, but clearly the show is telegraphing at least one or two get killed by those arbaletes.
post #10044 of 11247 Old 07-30-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
could Cersei actually end up defeating Daenerys?...I highly doubt it but the show is doing a good job of putting doubts in my mind
GRR Martin has said the ending would be bittersweet. I'm sure there will be some more tragic deaths on the "good guys" team. Quite possible that every character that anyone has ever cared about in the show will die by the end. Lots of murmurs about Tyrion maybe...
post #10045 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 457
While the appearance remains great, the plotting of this epic has become a joke.

Could someone explain to me how Euron can go from Kings Landing to wherever he destroyed Yaras' fleet, back to KL, then still catch the transport for the unsullied, just after they arrive at Casterly Rock.

With an armada that can do that, why isn't he already king of the world???
David F and SuperFist like this.
post #10046 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Tyrion is proving to be a major liability for Danny. Battle plans are not his strong point.

Bran could have picked ANY other event to show Sansa he can see all. Unfortunately that might push her more towards listening to little finger. And how did Arya not get to Winterfell yet? John traveled half way across the world, lol. She was like right down the street when we last saw her.
post #10047 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 402
From a realism standpoint, everyone needs to give the military maneuvering a very wide berth... it's all basically dumbed down to make it easier to digest, and allow the writers to focus on the characters as well as other aspects of the plot. The Tyrells being this super-rich house, but with all the military acumen of 6-year old child, when they're being lead by someone as seemingly intelligent as Olenna Tyrell, is a pretty hard pill to swallow. The way they portrayed it, Lyanna Mormont and her 62 Bear Island soldiers could've marched into High Garden unscathed. There was a little bit too much exposition, I feel... Olenna basically had to explain why House Tyrell ultimately lost through dialog.
locomo, slowbiscuit and DaMavs like this.
post #10048 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Tyrion is proving to be a major liability for Danny. Battle plans are not his strong point.

Bran could have picked ANY other event to show Sansa he can see all. Unfortunately that might push her more towards listening to little finger. And how did Arya not get to Winterfell yet? John traveled half way across the world, lol. She was like right down the street when we last saw her.

She's traveling by horse and less than half way there (she was closer to KL). Jon travelled by ship, which is faster and doesn't need to stop.
post #10049 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Or they're heat-seeking.
This is fun, but you all already know.

Success, or failure of this weapon, that dragon and so on, is all subject to the decisions of the writing team, more than any thing else.

Same applies to every character.

In order to assist with the story trajectory, we see how the team has altered what one would expect possible time wise for armies to advance, ships to sail, etc.

Aside from all that, I'm enjoying the composition of scenes and character dialog very much this season!
post #10050 of 11247 Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Slight disappointment by the Bran/Sansa reunion. I mean C'MON there is soooo much to catch up on, and Bran has the key to everything. Of course they have to throw in that Bran still has a lot more to learn, and how to control it. The narrated-over battle scenes were poetic, and I didn't feel like they were forced for the sake of time dragging on. Plus as mentioned before it gave more time for the all important one-on-ones. What a great scene with Lady Olenna, one of my favorite secondary characters.

And despite Dany's headstrong arrogance ramping up to nearly epic levels, is there any doubt as to which queen is the good one and which one is evil? Nice to have been proven wrong with Yara from the previous episode - but now what is to become of her?

Technical notes. Saturday I redid my acoustically transparent screen, changing it from silver milliskin to white. What a difference! So much brighter, deeper, and Eco mode on my projector was more than enough. I will definitely have to go back to the Blu-rays and relive a few of the really dark episodes and see how many details I missed. Sound did not seem as bad this time, if not for several dBs too low. The dragon's sound effects should have been more dynamic, especially given they were being introduced to new important characters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page