'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4174Likes

post #10081 of 11237 Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked: 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
Found this quite funny

Hehe, that scene was gold. After Mesandrei gives Dany the full Paul Bettany "A Knights Tale intro", we get - This is Jon Snow............................................uh , A King in the North.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 11237 Old 07-31-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Wasn't trying to throw Varys under the bus exactly but was wondering where he thinks the current interests of "the Realm" lie. If Varys thinks the interests of the realm don't lie with Daenerys, then anything is possible.
Remember what the Red Lady said to Vary in this episode.
post #10083 of 11237 Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Cersei seems to have learned a thing or 2 from Tywin (her father) as far as strategy and battle plans...what a stroke of genius to wipe out 3 of Dany's major allies in 1 fell swoop-- the Dornish, the Tyrells, and the Theon-and-Yara faction of the Greyjoys...plus Grey Worm and the Unsullied seem to be stranded at Casterly Rock now that Euron took out their ships...Dany and Tyrion have said they’re hesitant to use the dragons or the Dothraki, fearing that doing so could cost too many innocent lives and turn the people of Westeros against her but now it looks like they have no choice but to go with the nuclear option

it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out...as usual GRRM has crafted an amazing end-game full of surprising twists and turns (I'm sure this storyline is based mostly on the detailed notes he gave to David Benioff and Dan Weiss in regards to how the books would end)...I do miss the dialogue and writing style of GRRM as the HBO show has suffered a slight drop in quality since going off-books (in terms of the dialogue)

one prediction I will make in regards to Ser Jorah...I always thought he was going to die from the greyscale and have a bittersweet ending...it seems the show is giving us hope for a Dany/Jorah reunion and happy ending but I think this is a fakeout and Jorah will still die in some manner either sacrificing himself for Daenerys or something similar

post #10084 of 11237 Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5024 Post(s)
Liked: 11599
Ser Gregor Clegane in da house.

Keenan, Ph8te and cardoski like this.

post #10085 of 11237 Old 07-31-2017, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I'm calling it now: one dragon's going to die by one of these bolts, one by melee attacks on the ground, probably swarmed by whole bunch of walkers, or perhaps the Night King himself. Maybe the big one will survive.

Don't forget, it's possible that the Night King might be able to raise of the dragons and control him as his own. (fire breath would turn into ice breath?)

the TV show has almost always focused on Drogon...the other 2 barely get any attention and I'd wager money that most non-book readers would not even be able to tell you their names...so it would not surprise me in the least if Rhaegal and Viserion were killed leaving an angry Drogon as the sole remaining dragon...and how epic would it be to see Drogon facing off against the Night King and his reanimated undead dragons...fire vs ice indeed...HBO would have to break the bank on special effects for those scenes alone
jazzycat likes this.
post #10086 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Well i'm glad i was wrong that Cersei would threathen Ellaria or something to get her army, she just went for straight up revenge instead. Another loss for Tyrion. I think i preferred it when Jorah and Ser Barristan were by her side lol. Great episode!
post #10087 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I'm beginning to really like Euron with his digs on Jaime about his infirmity and his intimate relationship with his sister!

post #10088 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Technical notes. Saturday I redid my acoustically transparent screen, changing it from silver milliskin to white. What a difference! So much brighter, deeper, and Eco mode on my projector was more than enough. I will definitely have to go back to the Blu-rays and relive a few of the really dark episodes and see how many details I missed. Sound did not seem as bad this time, if not for several dBs too low. The dragon's sound effects should have been more dynamic, especially given they were being introduced to new important characters.
Sounds like you need to buy the new Dolby Atmos mixed blu-rays.
allargon and JCJetta like this.
post #10089 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Tyrion with Jon was AWESOME!

Tyrion, "I came up here to brood about my failure." "You make me feel like I am failing at brooding about my failure."
pheroy and jazzycat like this.

post #10090 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Cersei seems to have learned a thing or 2 from Tywin (her father) as far as strategy and battle plans...what a stroke of genius to wipe out 3 of Dany's major allies in 1 fell swoop-- the Dornish, the Tyrells, and the Theon-and-Yara faction of the Greyjoys
Cersei actually is getting a lot of credit she does not deserve. Euron is the one who took down the Dornish and Theon and Yara. Jamie took out the Tyrells, we do not know that was her idea. Jamie is in charge of the army so it makes sense that he came up with the battle plan. He did understand that they had resources that he needed.

Not sure why Danny did not send a Dragon or two with any of these troops.
post #10091 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
They seem to have a conundrum in that the only way to control the dragons is for them to have a rider, but Danny is the only rider and she is too valuable to lose. They really can't play the Dragon card w/o risking Danny at this point and if she catches an arrow it would seem to be game over.

It seems they need another dragon rider ASAP - will Jon Snow or Tyrion step up perhaps? Would be a nice trade for Jon to get his freedom - ride the dragons and roast some Euron in exchange for dragon glass and passage back north. Perhaps with a dragon?
wpbpete and jazzycat like this.

PS3/4 ID: Mav_26_
post #10092 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Dredging up a past Memory, with likely not a lot of accuracy, however, did Bran not somehow mark the Night's King (arm, I think) sometime back .. ?? Bran speculation :: Since we know Hodor was essentially created as Hodor by Bran, what possible other Time Travel Events could be or might be linked to Bran in the future .. ? The Bran Time Travel angle could have some future script mining effects ..
It was actually the Night King marking Bran in the dream which neutralized the magic protecting the 3 Eyed Ravens hideaway allowing the wights and White Walkers to enter. The long-term question becomes is Bran still marked? And would the mark neutralize the wall's magic? I hope not as that's kind of lame, but...It's an open question for now.

The Bran time travel to create Hodor logic becomes pretty circular. If Bran (and humanity) loses, can he just go back in the past and change something to try again? Can he see the future? Or only the past?
jazzycat likes this.

post #10093 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Sounds like you need to buy the new Dolby Atmos mixed blu-rays.
Oh, I have them for Season 1-6. While I don't have Atmos... yet, 7.1 Dolby TrueHD is indeed a spectacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs
It was actually the Night King marking Bran in the dream which neutralized the magic protecting the 3 Eyed Ravens hideaway allowing the wights and White Walkers to enter. The long-term question becomes is Bran still marked? And would the mark neutralize the wall's magic? I hope not as that's kind of lame, but...It's an open question for now.
The connection Bran and Night King have is indeed an interesting one. When Bran was watching the creation of the Night King when the Children of the Forest gal is driving the shiv into his chest, they cut back to Bran wincing, and then another cut he's gone from laying down to sitting up, almost as he's feeling the Night King's pain as the transformation from man to Walker takes hold. Lots of 'bittersweet' theories surround this whole transaction; search for them on the YouTubes if you want to dig into it more.
post #10094 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Cersei actually is getting a lot of credit she does not deserve. Euron is the one who took down the Dornish and Theon and Yara. Jamie took out the Tyrells, we do not know that was her idea. Jamie is in charge of the army so it makes sense that he came up with the battle plan. He did understand that they had resources that he needed.

The clue in there that it was her idea is that she gave the Iron Bank a definitive timetable of paying them back. How can she know she'll be paying them back? By cleaning the coffers of the wealthiest family in the seven kingdoms.

Edit: With Jamie's comment referring to learning from Rob also suggest maybe his idea. So safe to assume it's an agreed upon decision. (Or writers didn't notice this overlap for the sake of having two profound dialogs)
jazzycat likes this.

Last edited by JNayAV; 08-01-2017 at 07:23 AM.
post #10095 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I doubt she can just tell the dragons what to do and they'll go off and do it. They're vicious animals who'll follow mama wherever she goes and protect her, but I doubt they're intelligent enough to follow detailed commands on their own. That's why when she suggested she deal with Euron's wooden ships using the dragons, the others told her it would be far too dangerous for her, since she would have to be sitting on one of them to make it happen and she would be an easy target for an arrow or bolt. She's already shown she can get them to breathe fire on demand, so they could certainly be trained to attack, but she'd at the least need to be there to point at what they need to attack.
post #10096 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 547
Well at some point, if she's going to use the dragons, she's going to have to get on one of them.

Or get off the pot.
taxman48 and Tack like this.
post #10097 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 447
The dragons seemed to do alright in slavers bay.....
jazzycat likes this.
post #10098 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
The dragons seemed to do alright in slavers bay.....
When Danny was riding Drogon and telling him to attack that ship. Little brothers followed suit and lit up the ship he was attacking...

post #10099 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 547
Dragon fire is like phasers from the star ship Enterprise. They have to maintain the fire to do enough damage.

Too bad they're not more balls of fire or like photon torpedoes, just launch a couple at each ship, retarget, launch again.

They may want to complement the dragon attacks with cannon and catapult shots of fire balls to take down Euron's fleet, which would have a hard time with fire coming from above as well as around the fleet.

BTW, the giant crossbow may or may not pierce the dragons but why wouldn't a hail of cannon fire from the ships have some effect on the dragons as well? It wouldn't be any easier to target those cannon balls than the giant arrows but you have better odds firing multiple weapons instead of one giant one.
post #10100 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Well at some point, if she's going to use the dragons, she's going to have to get on one of them.

Or get off the pot.

Lol, that hit me just right. Thanks for the chuckle.
post #10101 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Gotta steer back to Bran, and nearly a copy/paste from some dude ranting on Facebook:

Of all the necessary things Bran could have said:
Sansa - Jon is really our cousin and he's a Targaryen!
Sansa, I know where the Night King is!
Sansa, Uncle Benjen is still alive (sorta) north of the Wall!

Instead, Bran compliments Sansa on how beautiful she looked on her wedding night. And we all know how that turned out.

Also, the Season Trailer showed some extensive and exciting battle scenes concerning the dragons. I think Lady Ollenna's advice of "be a dragon" is going to come to fruition after Dany gets word of Tyrion's failed guidance. I think it will be similar to the behavior she exhibited in the Khal Widow's temple place when she burned everyone alive inside of it, only to emerge reborn with the entire Dothraki horde falling down to worship her.
erhurd likes this.
post #10102 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cersei deserves most of the credit...it was her idea to align with Euron...she probably played a big role in formulating the battle plans as far as Casterly Rock and Highgarden...she has no War Council or advisors she trusts except maybe Jamie...of course it was Euron who physically attacked the fleet but that never would have happened without Cersei's directions
allargon and jazzycat like this.
post #10103 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5024 Post(s)
Liked: 11599
I don't think Cersei knew what Euron was going to do. He left the throne room saying he was going to bring Cersei a gift. He then returned with the Sands and Yara.

post #10104 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the crossbows could only work once anyway. If the flying lizards can survive the initial (surprise) attack, they can switch over to night attacks, or even use one dragon to bait the battery while another swoops in from behind and lights them up. The crossbows don't look very maneuverable at all. They also look pretty labor intensive to build. Burn 'em down till the inventory is depleted.
post #10105 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I understand they're (mostly) following the plot of a book, but the stories are interesting enough without the dragons, psychic ability, white-walkers, etc. I understand I'm probably in the small minority here.
post #10106 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Gotta steer back to Bran, and nearly a copy/paste from some dude ranting on Facebook:

Of all the necessary things Bran could have said:
Sansa - Jon is really our cousin and he's a Targaryen!
Sansa, I know where the Night King is!
Sansa, Uncle Benjen is still alive (sorta) north of the Wall!

Instead, Bran compliments Sansa on how beautiful she looked on her wedding night. And we all know how that turned out.
If Bran would have blurted it out before consulting with Jon then it could have gotten him killed. You know, another Targaryan? Who knows what could've happened while he was down south, like what happened to countless other heirs. Dany might even off him. (not likely but possible, Bran would know about all the treachery of those who aspire to rule).
post #10107 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatros43 View Post
I understand they're (mostly) following the plot of a book, but the stories are interesting enough without the dragons, psychic ability, white-walkers, etc. I understand I'm probably in the small minority here.
My wife and I are with you. In past seasons we've always hated seeing the White Walkers.

I'm warming up to their storylines, but she's not!
albatros43 likes this.
post #10108 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
My wife and I are with you. In past seasons we've always hated seeing the White Walkers.

My wife and I had never watched until about a month or two ago. We decided we'd see what the fuss was about. When the first scene of Season 1, Episode 1 had Whitewalkers I was about to turn it off. I'm glad I didn't, because I really enjoy the show. However, I'd enjoy it more if it was more "real".
post #10109 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Quote:
My wife and I had never watched until about a month or two ago. We decided we'd see what the fuss was about. When the first scene of Season 1, Episode 1 had Whitewalkers I was about to turn it off. I'm glad I didn't, because I really enjoy the show. However, I'd enjoy it more if it was more "real".
Heresy and Folderol.... repent !

gwsat, Ph8te and sickkent like this.
post #10110 of 11237 Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked: 4347
Quote:

The Last Kingdom may be what you are after (it's on NetFlix). Historical based medieval show.
gwsat, allargon and NickTheGreat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page