'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 450
First, I share the enthusiasm expressed by others for the wonderful performances of Jack Gleeson as the evil Joffrey. Speaking of Joffrey,I have always had high regard for Margery's ability as a courtesan. Not only is she a sexy beauty, she is ambitious and smart. King or not, I think Joffrey is in way over his head with Lady Margery. Margery's grandmother, Lady Olenna, played by the wonderful Diana Rigg, is a scary lady but a very smart one. I see where Margery's intelligence came from.

As treacherous as he has been, I can't help but feel a little sorry for Theon. He tried to seduce his sister, who now despises him, and has lost the confidence of his father. Now he is paying the price. It's ugly.

The Hound having recognized Arya puts her in a lot of danger. As we have seen, though, there's no telling what the Hound will do with his new found knowledge and Arya has shown boundless resourcefulness in getting herself out of scrapes.

I had a hard time accepting that Brienne would embark on a cross-country trek while wearing a suit of armor but it did come in handy when she was fighting Jaime on the bridge. It doesn't look good for either Brienne or Jamie at the moment.

All in all, I thought this week's Game of Thrones was another example of excellent storytelling and can hardly wait for next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Margery's grandmother, Lady Olenna, played by the wonderful Diana Rigg
AHA!
That's who is playing Granny!
The wife and I couldn't place her....

Quote:
As treacherous as he has been, I can't help but feel a little sorry for Theon. He tried to seduce his sister, who now despises him, and has lost the confidence of his father. Now he is paying the price. It's ugly.
I don't have a wiff of compassion for him.
In life, there is a price to pay when a guy reaches beyond his penis length.

Quote:
The Hound having recognized Arya puts her in a lot of danger. As we have seen, though, there's no telling what the Hound will do with his new found knowledge and Arya has shown boundless resourcefulness in getting herself out of scrapes.
I am not seeing what advantage he hopes to gain here.

Quote:
I had a hard time accepting that Brienne would embark on a cross-country trek while wearing a suit of armor but it did come in handy when she was fighting Jaime on the bridge.
Yeah, she did get banged a bit by Jaime's sword (sorry about the bad pun).

Quote:
All in all, I thought this week's Game of Thrones was another example of excellent storytelling and can hardly wait for next week.
+1000000

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2343 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I wasn't expecting to see the Reeds at all. Since they were missing from where they should have been last season, I figured they just modified the story a bit to remove them. Theon's bit was another surprise.

I too was a bit confused by the Reeds appearance. I just started Book 3 about a week ago and Season 3 seems to be a bit more jumpy at following the book's chronology, but that's ok because I have a pretty good background understanding from the books concerning the Reeds and how they figure into all of this. Still, not a disappointing moment at all in last night's episode.
post #2344 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Are "The Reeds" the guys who have Arya?confused.gif

post #2345 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I too was a bit confused by the Reeds appearance. I just started Book 3 about a week ago and Season 3 seems to be a bit more jumpy at following the book's chronology, but that's ok because I have a pretty good background understanding from the books concerning the Reeds and how they figure into all of this. Still, not a disappointing moment at all in last night's episode.

I've given up on trying to keep straight the differences between the show and the books. I have decided to just forget about the books for the moment and let the season play out. Doing it that way has proved to be a lot of fun and I avoid information overload. After the season is over but not before, I'll go back and reread Books 3-5 and, maybe, ponder the differences between them and the show. For the moment, though "The play's the thing!"smile.gif
post #2346 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

No, the ones (brother, sister) who met Bran on the road.
post #2347 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

...Brienne is one bad a** wink.gif defeating Jamie with one hand quite easily it seemed, jamie let his over confidence be her greatest weapon......
Keep in mind also that Jaime had his hands shackled together! Not that I am a great swordsman, but I can only assume that that would hamper one's abilities somewhat. wink.gif

Another great episode for me. A little bit of a pure set-up episode, but now they have caught us up on all of the characters this season so we should be able to move forward. One of the few shows I actually watch the night it airs.
post #2348 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

No they're with Bran's party.

Speaking of Bran, did notice how much the actor who portrays Bran has grown and matured. His voice has changed and he's now in a cart, probably too heavy for Hodor to carry.
post #2349 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Ah, OK, thanx for that.smile.gif

post #2350 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Speaking of Bran, did notice how much the actor who portrays Bran has grown and matured. His voice has changed and he's now in a cart, probably too heavy for Hodor to carry.

So who has Theon and who has Jamie and Brienne? Unless we aren't supposed to know that is.

Funny, I think I comprehend the damn show perfectly, then I read the forum and realize I don't know Jack.
post #2351 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, I thought Bran should have been a little more moved by the fact his dreams were verified to be real.
post #2352 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

BTW, I thought Bran should have been a little more moved by the fact his dreams were verified to be real.

He's believed in them all along.
post #2353 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although Jojen Reed, who claims to share Bran's dreams, is a remarkably mature and convincing kid, Bran could be harboring the doubt that maybe they are both delusional. I don't know, though, when Jojen mentioned the three eyed crow, I was convinced.smile.gif
post #2354 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

So who has Theon and who has Jamie and Brienne? Unless we aren't supposed to know that is.

Funny, I think I comprehend the damn show perfectly, then I read the forum and realize I don't know Jack.

Who has Theon? - This is something that hasn't survived the book to screen adaptation very well. If you've read the books you know, but the show hasn't explained it and I'm not sure they're going to for a while. The events surrounding the demise of Theon's reign at Winterfell were a bit muddled on the show.

Who has Jamie and Brienne? - They were captured by soldiers belonging to Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort and one of Robb's key subordinates. You may recall Robb has left Bolton to garrison Harrenhal while he travels back to Riverrun for the funeral of his Grandfather (Lady Catelyn's father).

Who has Arya? - The Brotherhood Without Banners. You may recall from Season One that Eddard Stark, as Hand of the King, organized a mission to apprehend Gregor Clegane, aka the Mountain that Rides, who was menacing the Riverlands. Beric Dondarrion led the expedition and this outlaw group is what remains of his forces.

Hope this helps.
Flambe likes this.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #2355 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

First, I share the enthusiasm expressed by others for the wonderful performances of Jack Gleeson as the evil Joffrey. Speaking of Joffrey,I have always had high regard for Margery's ability as a courtesan.

I think (hope) you mean "courtier." A courtesan is something else entirely.

BTW, as wonderful as Jack Gleeson is, he has no plans to continue acting after GoT. He is attending university and wants to go into academia.
post #2356 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
BTW, if you are a Dr Who fan and are wondering why Jojen Reed looks kinda familiar, the actor Thomas Sangster was in the excellent episodes Human Nature and The Family of Blood -- along with former GoT star Harry Lloyd (dear departed Viserys). He played the featured schoolboy Tim Latimer.
post #2357 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Who has Theon? - This is something that hasn't survived the book to screen adaptation very well. If you've read the books you know, but the show hasn't explained it and I'm not sure they're going to for a while. The events surrounding the demise of Theon's reign at Winterfell were a bit muddled on the show.

Who has Jamie and Brienne? - They were captured by soldiers belonging to Roose Bolton, Lord of the Dreadfort and one of Robb's key subordinates. You may recall Robb has left Bolton to garrison Harrenhal while he travels back to Riverrun for the funeral of his Grandfather (Lady Catelyn's father).

Who has Arya? - The Brotherhood Without Banners. You may recall from Season One that Eddard Stark, as Hand of the King, organized a mission to apprehend Gregor Clegane, aka the Mountain that Rides, who was menacing the Riverlands. Beric Dondarrion led the expedition and this outlaw group is what remains of his forces.

Hope this helps.

So the Hound has left Joffrey's service in the heat of a fiery battle and gotten himself captured by a group that is operating against the Lannisters? If so, I don't see it as an automatic issue for Arya but who knows.

I really liked the tension when Sansa was questioned by Margaery's grandmother - was unsure just like her whether she could truly speak freely or if this was trap of sorts. I really liked how that info was immediately was used by Margaery to play up to Joffrey's sadistic side and get back in good graces after some interrogation.

Theon's boned - lol and deservedly so. I think however long he may live, he's going to wish he were dead as he is a man truly with no friends now.

I also did not realize Jack Gleeson was the little kid in Batman Begins. His resume will be short, but distinguished.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #2358 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

While hes had some confirmation that they are "real", he is still tepid about them. His hesitation is what you are seeing....
post #2359 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

He's believed in them all along.

Of course he he did. But now he knows.

Not a big deal, just an observation. smile.gif
post #2360 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Keep in mind also that Jaime had his hands shackled together! Not that I am a great swordsman, but I can only assume that that would hamper one's abilities somewhat. wink.gif

Another great episode for me. A little bit of a pure set-up episode, but now they have caught us up on all of the characters this season so we should be able to move forward. One of the few shows I actually watch the night it airs.

The chackles however would only come into play with one handed battle, Jamie was highly skilled and two hands on the blade suited him just fine wink.gif as we saw with Brienne she only went one handed when she had clear upper hand..otherwise both were using two hand hold on the swords, and lets not discount taht these swords are heavy and being able to wield the sword with one hand takes even greater skill and strength....
post #2361 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Nice, thanks. And thanks for not spoiling what I shouldn't know.

So its not going to be pretty for Jamie.

The Brotherhood guy didn't seem to be as threatening to Hound as much as he was giving him grief. Actually he was one of the more upstanding
characters so far, seeing how he was letting Arya and crew go. Was.
post #2362 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Speaking of Joffrey,I have always had high regard for Margery's ability as a courtesan. Not only is she a sexy beauty, she is ambitious and smart. King or not, I think Joffrey is in way over his head with Lady Margery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I think courtesan is exactly right in this case.
post #2363 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

But it's clear from both last season and this season's episode 2 that her marriage to Renly was not consummated. So it's kind of hard to call her a coutesan from what we've seen. I think an expert manipulator is more apt, especially when it comes to playing the game of thrones.
post #2364 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

The chackles however would only come into play with one handed battle, Jamie was highly skilled and two hands on the blade suited him just fine wink.gif as we saw with Brienne she only went one handed when she had clear upper hand..otherwise both were using two hand hold on the swords, and lets not discount taht these swords are heavy and being able to wield the sword with one hand takes even greater skill and strength....
I was thinking it would actually affect one's balance between strikes quite a bit.
post #2365 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 62
Her affection is bartered to men of power so she can reap the rewards of her position and standing. I think both terms apply fairly accurately so far. Cunning that one.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #2366 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

You beat me to it:

Quote:
cour·te·san [kawr-tuh-zuhn, kohr-, kur-]
noun
a prostitute or paramour, especially one associating with noblemen or men of wealth.

Courtesans were sometimes nobly born but the Sine qua non of all courtesans was that they used sex to get ahead. I would say that describes Lady Margery rather well. Take a look at Margery's clothes and it all becomes clear.smile.gif
post #2367 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

As someone answered, the Reeds are Jojen (the boy) and Mira (his sister). Jojen is the one who was in Bran's dream. The ones who have Arya are, I believe they identified themselves as "the brotherhood withput banners". And again this was mentioned but you may not remember, they are some of the group that Ned Starks sent out (in the first season when he was acting as Hand when Robert was on his hunting trip) to go get the Mountain (Gregor Clegane, the Hound's brother) who was burning and raping in the riverlands.

Edit: Crap, I see that lynesjc already posted this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2368 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

BTW, as wonderful as Jack Gleeson is, he has no plans to continue acting after GoT. He is attending university and wants to go into academia.

He is doing a great job in a very hated role. Btw, I keep reading that he is not at all like his character and is a very nice young man.

post #2369 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They dropped some huge clues/hints as to who has Theon but I'm not sure it can be disclosed without it being referred to as a spoiler.

post #2370 of 6039 Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

They dropped some huge clues/hints as to who has Theon but I'm not sure it can be disclosed without it being referred to as a spoiler.

Well considering that the man who talked to Theon said that Theon's sister sent him AND he can walk what seems fairly freely without being questioned, I have a few ideas myself wink.gif

Thanks for not putting spoilers or potential spoilers up though greatly appreciated smile.gif

EDIT: it should be added sometimes we are not supposed to know who certain people are, I am sure when the time is right all will be revelaed....
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page