'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2521 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I am eagerly looking forward to seeing some major whoop-ass handed out by our dragons.
I get a feeling our slave-traders are about to learn a horrible truth about 'em....tongue.gif

No one takes Khaleesi's dragons!

It is known.
Whitearrow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

No one takes Khaleesi's dragons!

It is known.
Are they going to have to make Astopor look like Harrenhall on the map at the show's start?
hooked01 is offline  
post #2523 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

it does seem to take it's time, but unlike many other shows I've grown impatient with a slow pace, there is SO MUCH material to cover, I cannot fault the production at all, and would probably be more irritated if they sped through episodes any faster. That seems to be one of my biggest gripes about movies these days is the lack of character development when you can see there is substance there just begging to be pulled out.

GoT is like eating a small piece of fine chocolate or sip of a great wine. A little goes a long way and we savor it. smile.gif


good analogies.

question however, so if we re-watch an episode, which i always do,
is that like regurgitating the chocolate/wine?
mr. wally is offline  
post #2524 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 10,056
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Ill be happy when Craster gets his. He's got to be the biggest skank in the series.

Agreed.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #2525 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 5,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good analogies.

question however, so if we re-watch an episode, which i always do,
is that like regurgitating the chocolate/wine?

In a 'cud' sense, yes.... smile.gif

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #2526 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,170
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

His name was Craster, and I think he's "donating" the boys to the White Walkers to replenish their armies or what ever. That could be why they leave him alone with all of his "wives" and basically no protection.

Thanks I really didnt feel like Googling it at that time wink.gif

No need to think, it is known that he does that wink.gif

They leave him alone well becasue he wants it that way, they dont protect those who dont ask for it smile.gif he doesnt need protection anyways becasue of the "deal" hes worked out.....
Ph8te is online now  
post #2527 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,170
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good analogies.

question however, so if we re-watch an episode, which i always do,
is that like regurgitating the chocolate/wine?

I would think it would be more akin to taking a second sip\bite to further your appreciation for the finer details of said food\drink wink.gif sometimes you pick up on things you missed the 1st time around smile.gif
Ph8te is online now  
post #2528 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

His bio on the IMDB on my iPhone lists him as being in Ep 3 Season 3 of GOT, but not in the BBC America mini-series Spys of Warsaw, playing a priggish French diplomat in their embassy in Warsaw. Saw that last week.

That is strange, because when I looked him up last night I got the exact opposite. Listed for SoW but no Got..

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #2529 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

No one takes Khaleesi's dragons!

It is known.
Apparently, not by everyone.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post


question however, so if we re-watch an episode, which i always do
This was the first episode I have ever done that....it worked much better the 2nd time around.wink.gif
oink is offline  
post #2530 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 6,339
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Are they going to have to make Astopor look like Harrenhall on the map at the show's start?

I don't think the dragons have quite enough displacement for a Harrenhall type event just yet. They will probably start with an HO scale Harrenhall on Kraznys compound
to start. Should at least get us some smoke on the intro smile.gif
Tack is offline  
post #2531 of 9333 Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 6,339
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


This was the first episode I have ever done that....it worked much better the 2nd time around.wink.gif

This season Ive been averaging three views per episode. No I'm not that nerdy, I just put it on before I go to sleep. Its not like there's anything else on.

Amazing what you pick up the second or third time.
Tack is offline  
post #2532 of 9333 Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post


Amazing what you pick up the second or third time.
Agreed.smile.gif
oink is offline  
post #2533 of 9333 Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
HD Hockey Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good analogies.

question however, so if we re-watch an episode, which i always do,
is that like regurgitating the chocolate/wine?

Noooooooo! *vader.jpg*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I would think it would be more akin to taking a second sip\bite to further your appreciation for the finer details of said food\drink wink.gif sometimes you pick up on things you missed the 1st time around smile.gif

Quality Control validation wink.gif. I think I'm going to start watching the episode a 2nd time right before the new one to keep the continuity rolling with everything fresh in my head.

 

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

 
HD Hockey Guy is offline  
post #2534 of 9333 Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

I think I'm going to start watching the episode a 2nd time right before the new one to keep the continuity rolling with everything fresh in my head.
NOW that's a good idea.smile.gif
oink is offline  
post #2535 of 9333 Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,170
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Quality Control validation wink.gif. I think I'm going to start watching the episode a 2nd time right before the new one to keep the continuity rolling with everything fresh in my head.

exxxxxxxcelent (Burns voice) idea wink.gif
Ph8te is online now  
post #2536 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
HD Hockey Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ok, I must be a bigger fan than previously thought. My wife got me this for my birthday.

It's nice, but most the story info can easily be found online at HBO's site or the wiki pages. The less easily found info is the artistic concept and design elements in how they created the realm for television. A good coffee table book.

 

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

 
HD Hockey Guy is offline  
post #2537 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
SupaKats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Ok, I must be a bigger fan than previously thought. My wife got me this for my birthday.

It's nice, but most the story info can easily be found online at HBO's site or the wiki pages. The less easily found info is the artistic concept and design elements in how they created the realm for television. A good coffee table book.

Looks pretty cool

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
SupaKats is offline  
post #2538 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Another wonderful episode, the guy who owns (and now sold) the Sullied is hilarious. Loved those scenes, both what he was saying and the translator. Wonderful show, not my normal genre with the fantasy element, but my goodness, that is great. Boardwalk Empire should be more up my avenue and I enjoy that very much but GoT is simply on another level.
djb5f is offline  
post #2539 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 16,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

Another wonderful episode, the guy who owns (and now sold) the Sullied is hilarious. Loved those scenes, both what he was saying and the translator. Wonderful show, not my normal genre with the fantasy element, but my goodness, that is great. Boardwalk Empire should be more up my avenue and I enjoy that very much but GoT is simply on another level.

I agree that the slave master who sold his Unsullied to Dani was a hoot and that his translator's sugarcoated translations have made the whole thing even funnier. As others have already suggested, I have a hunch Dani understood what the nasty bastard was saying before hearing the soft-soap version delivered by the translator. This could lead to some more fun stuff.smile.gif
gwsat is online now  
post #2540 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 48
www.InnattheCrossroads.com is the official Game of Thrones food blog, and origin of the cookbook, A Feast of Ice and Fire. New recipes are always being posted, so visit often!
Wytchone is offline  
post #2541 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Finally caught up on the most recent episode.

Just a reminder after reading the spoiler discussions earlier. Not sure why this continues to be debated.

This is a "No spoiler" (or book discussion) thread which means exactly what it says. There is no case - NONE - where spoiler tags are justified in this thread. Any post with spoiler tags will be deleted.

There's no point in having separate threads if spoilers are being discussed in both.

... Numerous posts comparing the show to the books were deleted. Continuing to do so will result in being banned from this thread.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #2542 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Can't we all just get along?biggrin.gif

To be serious for a moment.....
It's important to remember we have TWO GoT threads on this forum: one for spoilers and one for none.

A lot of guys around here have read the books.
Does that preclude them from posting in this thread?
NO.
And I believe they have enough class to not post "spoilers" in this thread (the AVS Honor System).wink.gif

Many that have are posting here. The key is not to let anyone know you read them. Once you do, you can no longer speculate, guess, have a feeling or hunch, etc about what you think may happen - because it won't be a guess at all - and most importantly, everyone will know your guesses aren't "guesses" at all.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #2543 of 9333 Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
acebreathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: No Plfd NJ
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Noooooooo! *vader.jpg*
Quality Control validation wink.gif. I think I'm going to start watching the episode a 2nd time right before the new one to keep the continuity rolling with everything fresh in my head.
The only way to do it.
acebreathe is offline  
post #2544 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The key is not to let anyone know you read them. Once you do, you can no longer speculate, guess, have a feeling or hunch, etc about what you think may happen - because it won't be a guess at all - and most importantly, everyone will know your guesses aren't "guesses" at all.
You have a point.
Still, I would hope those that have read the books would have enough respect for their fellow members not to ruin the discussions for those who haven't read the novels.

A little naïve on my part perhaps....wink.gif
oink is offline  
post #2545 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Many that have are posting here. The key is not to let anyone know you read them. Once you do, you can no longer speculate, guess, have a feeling or hunch, etc about what you think may happen - because it won't be a guess at all - and most importantly, everyone will know your guesses aren't "guesses" at all.

Thanks for this clarification. There is a certain poster here who admits to having read the books and is always saying things like "I get the feeling that so and so may end up such and such." Like you say, it's not really speculation if you know the outcome. I'll just report any of those posts from now on.

cuzzin is offline  
post #2546 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Thanks for this clarification. There is a certain poster here who admits to having read the books and is always saying things like "I get the feeling that so and so may end up such and such." Like you say, it's not really speculation if you know the outcome. I'll just report any of those posts from now on.

Just send me an IM. Any of those "guesses" that come to fruition will result in an immediate thread ban.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #2547 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Any of those "guesses" that come to fruition will result in an immediate thread ban.
What if someone guesses right?confused.gif

A lot of guys are TV savvy and understand the "formula" for TV shows....
oink is offline  
post #2548 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

What if someone guesses right?confused.gif

A lot of guys are TV savvy and understand the "formula" for TV shows....

I think this would only apply if you've outed yourself as a book reader and continue to make "guesses" about future outcomes.

cuzzin is offline  
post #2549 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dcowboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Another reason i dont read books & just wait for the movie....or tv show as it were. biggrin.gif

dcowboy7 is offline  
post #2550 of 9333 Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

I think this would only apply if you've outed yourself as a book reader and continue to make "guesses" about future outcomes.
Oh, OK, that seems workable.
oink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off