'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
what is up with folks not wanting to take "milk of the poppy" in this show? Jaime's refusal despite KNOWING how bad it was gonna hurt - "I'll scream very loudly"- makes me wonder if it has some known side effects. Luwin also refused it when dying at the tree.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It was unexpected to see ol' Ned pop up in the "Previously...on Game of Thrones" clip at the beginning of last night's episode. tongue.gif
post #2703 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

what is up with folks not wanting to take "milk of the poppy" in this show? Jaime's refusal despite KNOWING how bad it was gonna hurt - "I'll scream very loudly"- makes me wonder if it has some known side effects. Luwin also refused it when dying at the tree.

Maybe Jamie was afraid that he'd wake up with his arm gone, which is what Qyburn (?) wanted to initially do. I don't trust Qyburn as a "healer".
post #2704 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

"Milk of the poppy" implies opium.
I sure the hell would want it.eek.gif

I guess Jaime wanted to show how tough he is to the guy.rolleyes.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #2705 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Maybe Jamie was afraid that he'd wake up with his arm gone, which is what Qyburn (?) wanted to initially do. I don't trust Qyburn as a "healer".
I think you're right.

post #2706 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

I think Jamie's reluctance to take the narcotic sprang from his fear that the maester would take his whole arm if Jamie lost consciousness. Recall that the maester wasn't entirely happy with his agreement with Jamie to merely clean the stump without amputating further. I thought Maester Luwin refused to take milk of the poppy because he knew, or at least feared, the end was near and wanted to remain completely sentient for the time he had left.
post #2707 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm a bit lost and perhaps A.D.D. what race/species is that guy that revives upon death? (surely he can revive, his shoulder restored but not his eye?)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #2708 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Also weren't Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon poisoned via milk of the poppy(maybe I'm not remembering correctly) which Jamie may know about and be afraid it would happen to him?

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #2709 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Also weren't Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon poisoned via milk of the poppy(maybe I'm not remembering correctly) which Jamie may know about and be afraid it would happen to him?
I don't know about Jon Arryn, but Robert basically had his judgement/reflexes severely impaired, which is why the boar got him. It wasn't poison as such.
post #2710 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I don't know about Jon Arryn, but Robert basically had his judgement/reflexes severely impaired, which is why the boar got him. It wasn't poison as such.
It was implied that his wine was spiked by his squire, the young Lanister boy that Cersie was flogging. King Robert wanted to take the poppy at the end.
post #2711 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I'm a bit lost and perhaps A.D.D. what race/species is that guy that revives upon death? (surely he can revive, his shoulder restored but not his eye?)

Beric Dondarrion is a normal man. Thoros is the priest who prayed to the red god and revived him.
post #2712 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

It was implied that his wine was spiked by his squire, the young Lanister boy that Cersie was flogging. King Robert wanted to take the poppy at the end.

That's right I looked it up. Also Tyrion accused Pycell of poisoning/knowing someone poisened Jon Arry but Pycellmdenied it.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #2713 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

It was unexpected to see ol' Ned pop up in the "Previously...on Game of Thrones" clip at the beginning of last night's episode. tongue.gif

I thought that was the reminder of Jorah's role in the poisoning plot.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2714 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Beric Dondarrion is a normal man. Thoros is the priest who prayed to the red god and revived him.

^^^ This what we are seeing is a reemergence of magic which came around the same time of when the Dragons were born. The older they get and the clsoer they get to certain people\things the stronger thier magic gets.....We saw the beginnings for the past few seasons with the "son" of Stannis as well as the Warlock.......This magic from the god of light is something ele that has seemed to flourish since they Dragons are around and seems to be gaining power as time goes on.

As far as half this season goes it makes me frown.gif but it even hurts more that this is only the 1st half of a 2 part season wink.gif
post #2715 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think you're right.

When Jamie asked Qyburn (again, I'm not sure if that is his name or not) where is chains were if he was a Maester, he said that they were taken away because of some of practices (to paraphrase) he performed. That meant to me at least, that this "doctor" lost his "medical license" and is probably more of a Josef Mengele than a Marcus Welby.
post #2716 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a lot of other poisons available other than opium to poison somebody so I don't necessarily think it had to be milk of the poppy.
post #2717 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

There are a lot of other poisons available other than opium to poison somebody so I don't necessarily think it had to be milk of the poppy.
I agree. I didn't mean to imply that it had to be milk of the poppy.
post #2718 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Wow, Selyse (Stanniss wife) is pretty out there. I liked when his daughter asked him if he won the war and he said.. ummm, nope.

His daughter was cute and her condition was a heartbreaker. I hope she can teach the onion prince to read his way out of jail.
post #2719 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 620
HD Hockey Guy likes this.
post #2720 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that it had to be milk of the poppy.

Not a problem. No harm no foul wink.gif
post #2721 of 6039 Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are right...it didn't HAVE to be, but it is reasonable to assume so.
FWIW, the "juice" from an opium poppy is white and milky in appearance.

post #2722 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You are right...it didn't HAVE to be, but it is reasonable to assume so.
FWIW, the "juice" from an opium poppy is white and milky in appearance.

Having scored a few somniferum pods myself I can confirm that wink.gif
post #2723 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Another new audience high 5,349,000 -- thats also the 2nd biggest in season audience episode to episode jump ever.

The biggest jump was season 2 from ep 9 to the ep 10 finale & that was only really because ep 9 aired memorial day weekend which hurt its rating.

They learned from that though as this year theyre skipping memorial day weekend which is cool since we essentially then get a 1 week extension.

post #2724 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Good episode - the time really flew by. I can see Cersei and Tyrion, trapped in similar unfavourable circumstance, reluctantly forming a temporary alliance against their father to weasel out of the current predicaments, as long as they can put aside their mistrust and hatred for each other long enough smile.gif

As for Jaime, he's being portrayed as a rather sympathetic character of late, but I still don't trust him. He's physically and mentally defeated, for the time being, so I can understand his need to reach out to Brienne, who is the only friend in sight. As soon as circumstances change, so will his actions and demeanor.

Robb Stark was in a no-win situation. I don't blame him for what he did.

Seems like the Arya Stark storyline stalled a bit in this episode, but I'm thinking they're simply using her story arc as a tool to tell the broader story of the Brotherhood Without Banners.
post #2725 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

My recollection too is that the squire gave Robert wine that was unexpectedly strong, so Robert got even drunker than usual and was gored by the boar as a consequence.
post #2726 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Good episode - the time really flew by. I can see Cersei and Tyrion, trapped in similar unfavourable circumstance, reluctantly forming a temporary alliance against their father to weasel out of the current predicaments, as long as they can put aside their mistrust and hatred for each other long enough smile.gif

As for Jaime, he's being portrayed as a rather sympathetic character of late, but I still don't trust him. He's physically and mentally defeated, for the time being, so I can understand his need to reach out to Brienne, who is the only friend in sight. As soon as circumstances change, so will his actions and demeanor.

Robb Stark was in a no-win situation. I don't blame him for what he did.

Seems like the Arya Stark storyline stalled a bit in this episode, but I'm thinking they're simply using her story arc as a tool to tell the broader story of the Brotherhood Without Banners.
I agree with regards to Jamie, we ahve seen this before from him, so it wouldnt surprise me if he is just "lying in the weeds" to recover and regroup.....

We agree on Robbs situation smile.gif it was a catch-22

I think the things with Arya are done for a reason (with this show they usually are) while it also allows them to showcase the Brotherhood, it keeps her in the story as she travels from A to B wink.gif I think this is all aprt of building her character to a certain point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My recollection too is that the squire gave Robert wine that was unexpectedly strong, so Robert got even drunker than usual and was gored by the boar as a consequence.

I think there was mention of posion, but no one will ever be able to prove it. I believe it was brought to Cersi, but she knows they will never be able to prove she had a hand in anything....
post #2727 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From what I remember, Robert simply got too drunk to hunt. His Lannister squire made sure he kept drinking. No poison was implied.

As for the Arya story arc, they're growing her influence and experience. If she just ran home to the family as an 8-year old (or whatever she is now), she'd just be a frightened child. No, they're making sure that she's meeting people, having experiences, etc., so that by the time she's older, she's a mad bad ass-kicker with a lot of friends.

What I'm a little unclear on, is who's going to win when it's Arya vs Daenarys? That's my guess for the final confrontation for dominion of Westeros.
post #2728 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That's true, but I think the reason the wine was "stronger" than expected was that is was doctored with a poison, and not necessarily milk of the poppy. He probably would've died anyway, and having him gored by the boar made it look accidental.
post #2729 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Supposedly that was also the same boars head that was mounted on the wall when Joffrey was showing Margaery how to shoot his new crossbow in this seasons episode 2.

post #2730 of 6039 Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Supposedly that was also the same boars head that was mounted on the wall when Joffrey was showing Margaery how to shoot his new crossbow in this seasons episode 2.

I read the same thing. BTW is it just me or is King Joffrey a whole lot less dickish this season? I want to see more of his malevolence. He's not nearly as despicable this season as before.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page