post #31 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post

So at the conclusion of the 2nd parter "The Impossible Astronaut" is the Doctor alive in our time or not?

That's an unfair question given that the Doctor is a time traveler. Since I doubt they want to end the show, I'm sure Moffat will come up with SOMEthing very clever.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by akSun View Post

So, who's the little girl at the end of ep. 2? She regenerated too ...
Is she the Doctor's daughter? Will there be a female doctor?

Everything points that way..

If she's Amy's daughter, perhaps The Doctor will have some fling with her and make Rory's suspicions come true... (I'd hit it)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #33 of 237 Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akSun View Post

So, who's the little girl at the end of ep. 2? She regenerated too ...
Is she the Doctor's daughter? Will there be a female doctor?

If you didn't notice it, Amy Pond's photo was with the other photos of the young girl. Amy could be the mom, or she could be the young child as she looks remarkably like the young Amy (remember the crack in time has followed Amy around). Was the regenerated young girl the same actress who played Amy at the museum (Pandorica) Caitlin Blackwood?

Amy may be a child of Galifrey. I doubt she had a fling with the Doctor, yet. Although she threw herself at the Doctor on her wedding eve. If they were both Timelords, then I could see her leaving Rory for the Doctor. However, Amy said she was pregnant and then later retracted it. It could be the aliens impregnated her and then later erased the memory (although there obviously wasn't time for this to happen in our time and the little girl looked five years old. But you could argue the tubes in the warehouse were parts of an alien incubator with acceleration. In this scenario, the Doctor could be the father without realizing it as his memory could have also been altered.

The older Doctor that was killed could also be from another universe or alternate timeline that needs fixing. We don't know for sure who was in the spacesuit that killed the older Doctor. The lightning bolts imply aliens, but we don't know for sure. Whoever killed him knew about regeneration and how to kill him really dead. We've not seen the aliens in the spacesuit, but we've seen the pre-regeneration little girl in it. It could be an older Amy Pond that walks out of the lake and zaps the Doctor. Or perhaps it is River Song in the spacesuit and the Doctor is the man she is in jail for killing. She was intrigued by the spacesuit.

Finally, I was beginning to wonder if they were going to ignore the fact that it was well established in the original Doctor Who that TimeLords only have 13 regenerations and then die (unless they are the Master, who stole regenerationds from another Timelord). This allows for only two more regenerations before they have to either go against previous canon or come up with some excuse for the Doctor to continue beyond 13 regenerations/actors. These first two episodes may pave the way to a non-trivial solution to this dilemma.

Finally, I loved the twist on the reason that Canton Delaware was fired from the CIA for wanting to get married. And did you get the joke when the Doctor advised Nixon to record everything that occurs in the oval office (an indirect reference to the Watergate tapes)?

Voyager6
post #34 of 237 Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Or it could have been River who killed the Doctor. Remember in the last season, she was imprisoned because she killed somebody. And she said she 'killed a good man' ... wondering if she was referring to the Doctor.

post #35 of 237 Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Didn't the older woman (forgot her name) say that as the Doctor moves forward as she moves back? That they go through time in opposite directions? Maybe it was her starting her life as the Doctor ended his. Remember when she kissed him. When she found out that it was their first kiss (from his perspective) and he said that there's a first time for everything, she replied that apparently there is a last time too.
post #36 of 237 Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Kiss?

They really should've oughta just renamed this new version right from the start and made it about a completely different character, 'cause it sure ain't anything like the "Doctor Who" series I once knew.
post #37 of 237 Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Kiss?

They really should've oughta just renamed this new version right from the start and made it about a completely different character, 'cause it sure ain't anything like the "Doctor Who" series I once knew.

I simultaneously agree and disagree at the same time.

Tom Baker's Doctor flirted with the 2nd Romana... and the two were married in real life.

Generally speaking, though, the Doctor didn't have flirting or flings or romantic gestures with his companions in the old series.

BUT

The show started with him having his granddaughter with him... and since it was never refuted that she was his granddaughter.. then he surely must have had a wife and at least one child from that... so it's not completely outside the box to have the Doctor find a romantic companion at some point again.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #38 of 237 Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kiss?

I have to agree with you on this. The romantic aspect going back to the Doctor being "in love" with Rose is just not what I expect of the classic Doctor, going all the way back to Pertwee. Maybe there was a bit of flirting, but nothing like we are seeing now.

Of course, there are lots and lots of other differences, so it's really a new and different show. I can't see the doctor having children though.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #39 of 237 Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Everyone needs to remember that the big difference between the old and new series is that the Time War, and the destruction of all the other Timelords, happens in between.

Where in the old series you have a rogue Timelord running from Authority, there was always the chance to go back and settle down again with another Timelord to share the centuries with. With that prospect, a human who lives for 70 years only looked like the equivalent of a 1 year fling (why bother).

Now in the new series the Doctor is alone for all eternity (modulo the 13 regenerations limit, which is probably bogus anyways since the Doctor has always been "special"). So even a quick tryst with a human might not seem so bad.
post #40 of 237 Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Tom Baker's Doctor flirted with the 2nd Romana... and the two were married in real life.

Not 'till around midway through the time she was on the show, though. Then, they divorced only sixteen month later, because they were totally incompatible in actuality.

Actually, I didn't care much for that whole, "T.Baker/both Romana's" period, anyway. That "blatant flirtatiousness" with his eventual, chipmunk wife was just one of the reasons why. The main reason, though, was that the powers-that-be decided the show was getting too dark, and was "scaring" kids too much, and they wanted to get more away from that (Adric and Nyssa, anyone? ). So they replaced the production team, and gave the show a whole "makeover".

Baker himself has talked about how unhappy he was during the whole "Romana" period of the show.
post #41 of 237 Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not 'till around midway through the time she was on the show, though. Then, they divorced only sixteen month later, because they were totally incompatible in actuality.

Actually, I didn't care much for that whole, "T.Baker/both Romana's" period, anyway. That "blatant flirtatiousness" with his eventual, chipmunk wife was just one of the reasons why. The main reason, though, was that the powers-that-be decided the show was getting too dark, and was "scaring" kids too much, and they wanted to get more away from that (Adric and Nyssa, anyone? ). So they replaced the production team, and gave the show a whole "makeover".

Baker himself has talked about how unhappy he was during the whole "Romana" period of the show.

I actually liked the Romanas... especially the 2nd one... and I liked some of the darker stories for a change.

But... be that as it may... I am not saying I necessarily like the Doctor flirting with companions either... just noting that it isn't being completely pulled out of thin air for the new series. It technically has been an aspect of the character that goes way back.

post #42 of 237 Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Latest episode would have been better if the siren looked like Robert Picardo in the alternate dimension. "Please state the nature of the medical emergency".
post #43 of 237 Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM

I am not sure why the Silence plot was stopped for the moment for a pretty silly Pirates in space story? (trying to take advantage of the Pirates of the Carrabbean Movie?)

Why did Amy, the Doctor and the Pirate Captain scratch themselves and wind up in the control room of the Siren's ship rather than on a medical table in stasis? Seems a major plot hole.

The only useful thing in this episode was the Doctor's medical scan of Amy at the very end. Watch closely.

Voyager6
post #44 of 237 Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had a problem with the fact he didn't assist Amy with CPR? I know that he's supposed to be this time lord and calls himself a "Doctor" but has never heard or seen CPR done? I had a problem with the writers having him just stand there, he should have been helping her save Rory,just my opinion. The Pirate thing was a stretch.
post #45 of 237 Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

The only useful thing in this episode was the Doctor's medical scan of Amy at the very end. Watch closely.

They showed that at the end of the previous episode as well.
post #46 of 237 Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Review
'Doctor Who' Makes a Dazzling Return, and Who Are We to Resist Its Charms?
By Maureen Ryan, AOL.com's 'TV Squad' - April 22nd, 2011

My only issue with BBC America is that the network could have been kinder and shown the two-parter all at once. I completely understand the business reasons for dividing the episode into a couple of installments, but making people wait a week to see how the thrilling story turns out seems cruel.

First off, it is series 6 not season 6. That said, it is considered series 1 because of the new doctor and producers. Media releases still continue with series five, as releasing DVDs/Blu-rays starting over at one would be extremely confusing

But, Maureen needs to get a life. It would have been impossible for BBCA to air part two right after part one, as they are day and date with Auntie Beeb. Airing an episode here before Auntie Beeb does would have created an uproar across the pond. and what about all of the other two parters that have occurred since the DW came back to life? She's upset over this one?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #47 of 237 Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

But, Maureen needs to get a life. It would have been impossible for BBCA to air part two right after part one, as they are day and date with Auntie Beeb. Airing an episode here before Auntie Beeb does would have created an uproar across the pond.

Of course, the two parter could have aired back to back in both markets, so your point is kind of moot.
post #48 of 237 Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Of course, the two parter could have aired back to back in both markets, so your point is kind of moot.

Only if the BBC had a history of airing first run multiparters back-to-back, which they don't.

The whole point of cliffhangers is to make you wait. All of the old shows were multipart stories, with mini-cliffhangers, made to look like (in many cases) the old serial movies. These days, about half of a series are two-parters, the remaining are standalone stories. I don't mind that they changed the format. It would be extremely expensive to do as many half-hour multipart stories as they used to.

A true fan thrives on having to wait for the next episode. She should too.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #49 of 237 Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

Why did Amy, the Doctor and the Pirate Captain scratch themselves and wind up in the control room of the Siren's ship rather than on a medical table in stasis? Seems a major plot hole.

Wondered about that myself... We actually don't see how quickly the others were taken to sick bay... so only those last 3 (Amy, Doctor, Pirate Captain) do we see immediately after being taken to the ship.

One assumes Rory and the boy were taken quicker because Rory was drowning and the boy had a terminal illness...

So maybe on the one hand the medical program was overcompensating by taking people with even the most minor of injuries... but on the other hand, once taken, didn't move them all as urgently as ones who had more severe injuries.

That being the case... there wouldn't have been a need to rush people who weren't about to die to sick bay once you got them to the ship... so maybe that was what we were supposed to presume?

post #50 of 237 Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
With so many plot holes other problems, like an impotent Doctor that stands around while people are disintegrated, I think I'm just going to pretend this episode didn't exist.
post #51 of 237 Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

...like an impotent Doctor...

Is he anywhere near as ineffectual as Sylvester McCoy was? That would be pretty bad.
post #52 of 237 Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is he anywhere near as ineffectual as Sylvester McCoy was? That would be pretty bad.

I liked the way he rolled his Rs, like in the gods of Ragnarok from The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

While *HE* was pretty bad, for some reason, I liked Ace, even though she disliked everything.

I did find it confusing that the only person (the current) doctor tried to save from the Siren was Rory. He just let the others go to her and be vaporized, like he didn't care.

The look on his face when the TARDIS disappeared was priceless.

Luke

post #53 of 237 Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I liked the way he rolled his Rs, like in the gods of Ragnarok from The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

I sure wouldn't want to be face-to-face with him in real life while he was talking, though.

You used to be able to literally see spit droplets flying out of his mouth (and slobber on his lips and chin), on close-ups.

Ace was OK. The one I just couldn't stand at all was that whiny, large-nasalled beotch, Tegan. I always use to think that, if I were Davison, I would've left her on the first, faraway planet I visited and taken off.
post #54 of 237 Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

With so many plot holes other problems, like an impotent Doctor that stands around while people are disintegrated, I think I'm just going to pretend this episode didn't exist.

Rory did specifically ask Amy to do it, though... saying he knew she "would never give up"...

It is worth reminding yourself when you watch the show that the Doctor is a 900+ year old alien... so not only do his values differ from us for being an alien BUT he has lived longer than most humans he has ever known... so even if he could save someone, he will far outlive them...

So, saving a whole planet (preventing genocide) is meaningful to the Doctor because of the scale... but if you aren't close to the Doctor (like Amy, Rory, River) then he isn't going to shed a tear over other random life forms (even human ones) because he has lived long enough that he knows that isn't productive to the problem at hand.

post #55 of 237 Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I sure wouldn't want to be face-to-face with him in real life while he was talking, though.

You used to be able to literally see spit droplets flying out of his mouth (and slobber on his lips and chin), on close-ups.

Ace was OK. The one I just couldn't stand at all was that whiny, large-nasalled beotch, Tegan. I always use to think that, if I were Davison, I would've left her on the first, faraway planet I visited and taken off.
Yes, Tegan was AWFUL! Adric was annoying.

Oh, and while I'm on the topic, Didn't Romana stay in the (remembering here) exo-universe? So, in theory, she should still be alive. Another Timelord lives! Maybe the "show" has forgotten about her. Sigh...

Luke

post #56 of 237 Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yes, Tegan was AWFUL! Adric was annoying.

Oh, and while I'm on the topic, Didn't Romana stay in the (remembering here) exo-universe? So, in theory, she should still be alive. Another Timelord lives! Maybe the "show" has forgotten about her. Sigh...

I didn't mind Tegan... for a change of pace. Adric was a little annoying, though. Nyssa worked as a smart companion... I even liked Turlough sometimes.

As for Romana... I still hope against hope that she is who the Doctor finds in this weekend's episode. There has been mention of him possibly finding someone else alive, and it stands to reason she could have survived.

post #57 of 237 Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
^^^ That would make three(not counting the un-killable Master.) We already know there's the girl from episode 1/2 as well as the Doc's "daughter" (clone actually) from a series/season (or two) back, who has presumably been running about (sans TARDIS.)

Although, I suppose all of those could be explained away by the events/fallout from the Pandoricum. Arrrrrgh!!!!

OK: Let's just admit that it's impossible to keep all these plot points straight.
post #58 of 237 Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also curious... there are lots of other Time Lords that could pop up for any reason they want... but in particular:

The Meddling Monk was left stranded on Earth by the first Doctor long ago... Unless the Time Lords recalled him and fixed his Tardis that the Doctor broke, he would still be on earth somewhere.

The Rani could be anywhere.

The 7th Doctor also ran into an old friend (I forget his name) renegade Time Lord.

Technically speaking... we never saw if the Time Lord from "The War Games" stayed dead or not... he died and was dragged off screen... but could have regenerated and fled.

I think I've covered everybody that was a time Lord that appeared outside of Gallifrey.

post #59 of 237 Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
^^^ Clearly your knowledge of Classic Who lore far exceeds mine. I remember bits and pieces, but most of the major plot points have faded from memory.
post #60 of 237 Old 05-13-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

^^^ Clearly your knowledge of Classic Who lore far exceeds mine. I remember bits and pieces, but most of the major plot points have faded from memory.

And how!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page