Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

And as caps are imposed, a person may have to change to a more expensive service to get a higher cap (especially if you had someone like AT&T DSL, at 150GB/mo. now).

100% Netflix streaming... as I have two lines coming into the house.

A family of three could easily use over 1TB a month.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

OTA and ESPN3 aren't free. Antenna, DVR and whatnot make OTA far from free.

For the price of a couple months of cable you can have an antenna set up that will be good for 10-20 years. DVR? Never owned one and I would assume if you wanted one with OTA you'd want one with cable/satellite so that's a wash. You'd be spending that money on a DVR regardless.

Quote:

ESPN3 requires a Internet provider and upgraded package for streaming.

One assumes if you're posting here you already have internet. Call me silly. ESPN3 does not cost extra. Charter provides ESPN3 to all tiers so does at&t. Those are my 2 choices for broadband. So there is no extra cost invovled.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

No TWC they don't have a deal for ESPN 3.

http://espn.go.com/espnnetworks/index

Yes, they do and they require a TV package to watch it. Please stop arguing about it.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Yes, they do and they require a TV package to watch it. Please stop arguing about it.

No that is for regular ESPN. And I'll quit argiung when you get your facts straight.

FACT: TWC cusotmers with a TV package can get online streaming access to ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU

TWC customers get access to http://espn.go.com/espnnetworks/index are you denying this? See on the right where it says TIME WARNER CABLE?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DVR? Never owned one and I would assume if you wanted one with OTA you'd want one with cable/satellite so that's a wash.

I'd suggest using one for over a decade and geting back with us.

Quote:

One assumes if you're posting here you already have internet. Call me silly. ESPN3 does not cost extra. Charter provides ESPN3 to all tiers so does at&t. Those are my 2 choices for broadband.

Your choices. Unfortunately the world doesn't evolve around you. In my world to access and stream ESPN3 (at any level of quality) I need to add another provider and subscribe to an upgraded package for speed and monthly bandwidth.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

No that is for regular ESPN. And I'll quit argiung when you get your facts straight.

FACT: TWC cusotmers with a TV package can get online streaming access to ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPNU

TWC customers get access to http://espn.go.com/espnnetworks/index are you denying this? See on the right where it says TIME WARNER CABLE?

We have both. Please inform yourself.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

If you had been eating at Ruth's Chris and switched to McDonalds, you would be saving money. If you eat at McDonalds because Ruth's Chris is too expensive, then it's not money saved, it's "budgeting." JMO

When I canceled cable and stopped paying for 100 channels full of Reality shows, 3 hour blocks of the same show, and endless commercials and reruns and started buying shows that I'm interested on DVD it was like switching from McDonald's to Ruth's Chris. And I spend less money too.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd suggest using one for over a decade and geting back with us.

I used a DVR for three years and stopped using one. With the DVDs I watch now there are no commercials to FF through, no screen clutter to put up with, and the show I watch isn't edited for more commercials. I watch sports live and change the channel or press the mute button when the commercial comes on. But I don't pay for any programming with commercials.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If his rates haven't increased in awhile, they will. I know that he has an older, grandfathered-in, super deal right now, but they can and will change that eventually.

Also, as caps are imposed, a person may have to change to a more expensive service to get a higher cap (especially if you had someone like AT&T DSL, at 150GB/mo. now).

I have AT&T's DSL 1.5 Mbps connection for $20 a month. They did start the 150 GB/mo cap on it back in May. I'm on the internet 5 hours a night and I stream about 10 hours of SD video a week and I only use 15 GB a month.

This is my usage Summary:
Download Upload Combined
Today 46.59 MB 43.51 MB 90.10 MB
This Month 8.13 GB 356.91 MB 8.48 GB
This Year 40.25 GB 1.47 GB 41.73 GB
Total 40.25 GB 1.47 GB 41.73 GB
Since Tue, 22 Mar 3911 6:00:00

Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I used a DVR for three years and stopped using one. With the DVDs I watch now there are no commercials to FF through, no screen clutter to put up with, and the show I watch isn't edited for more commercials. I watch sports live and change the channel or press the mute button when the commercial comes on. But I don't pay for any programming with commercials.

Let's see...

- You don't use a DVR since you rather waste your time flipping channels
- TV shows are edited for you when they come out on DVD
- You watch whatever you want as long as it's on OTA live
- You buy TV shows that are years old
- You don't mind wasting hours watching mute TV
- You don't mind the worse screen clutter SD.

Sounds just like the Ruth's Chris TV experience.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

We have both. Please inform yourself.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Let's see...

- You don't mind the worse screen clutter SD.

Sounds just like the Ruth's Chris TV experience.

Yeah, and for some reason he thinks everyone should be thrilled to have it. Go figure.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I wonder how long heavily-used, Chinese-made disc players last these days? Hmmmm.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

I wonder how long heavily-used DVD players last these days? Hmmmm.

Who cares? They're almost as cheap as some of the movies they play.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I just wondered, because you'd have to add the cost of them in there, too, and a lot of Chinese-made, consumer-grade electronics these days are basically "throwaway" items, including disc players.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yeah, and for some reason he thinks everyone should be thrilled to have it. Go figure.

That's pretty much my point. I have cut the cord on two occasions (couple of years combined) and neither time did I experience cult awakening. I don't think everyone in the world should view the world as I do... never less TV. For me...

#1 DVR - with out it my viewing would be cut by 75% or more. The 25% I would view would be less entertaining. For over a decade I have watched (I'd guess 95%) commercial free TV when I have wanted to watch it.

I can see why people feel there is nothing on when you have limited channels and or have to watch Live... The DVR takes current content and turns it into on-demand commercial-free streaming.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

This. I can understand Jedi Master not wanting to pay for TV and is perfectly happy with OTA, DVD/Blu, and online sources. But geez I hate to say it but Jedi Master is approaching Apple fanboy annoying levels with his constant shoving his beliefs down everyone's throats rather if they asked for it or not.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know why those of you that insist on dissing JediMaster don't look at the titile of the thread and the initial post. I thought the theme was to present ideas and thoughts of THOSE THAT HAVE CUT THE CABLE/SAT OR ARE CONTEMPLATING IT. I have no idea why some of you feel you need to justify your subscription or if you are in the industry and defensive. At the same time, I think he needs to just feel good about his decision, if in fact he does, and just ignore the rest of you that are really adding nothing to the gist of the discussion. I've always felt the idea was to help each other.

Personally, I appreciate positive input and diverse ideas. Most of these recent posts are just clutter and offer no relevenat information.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

I don't know why those of you that insist on dissing...

I don't think anybody is trying to diss anyone. Just the belief that what works for one works for everyone (else you're throwing away your money, time and don't have a clue as to what you shouldn't and should watch and when ). As far as the topic at hand input from both sides are valuable and having cut the cord myself presenting it only in one light seems rather simplistic.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Personally, I appreciate positive input and diverse ideas. Most of these recent posts are just clutter and offer no relevenat information.

That's fine. But JediMaster has brought his anti-cable/dish rants into other threads.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's see...

I don't use a DVR because I would rather spend my money on shows I want on DVD instead of 100 channels full of reality shows, 3 hours blocks of the same show, and endless repeats. Most of the movies you can buy on DVD for $5 out of the bargain bin at Walmart.

Quote:

They are uncut and commercial and screen clutter free.

Quote:

Only a small percent of my viewing since I have a huge DVD collection.

Quote:

I agree with you there. I would rather watch Comedians like The Three Stooges, Jackie Gleason and Art Carnie, Alan Hale and and Bob Denver, and Redd Fox. The funniest comedian on TV today is Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show.

Quote:

When I watch sports I do because of all the commercials on today. But instead of buying a Channel Master 7000 DVR I would rather buy more DVDs.

Quote:
You don't mind the worse screen clutter SD.

Most of the suff I watch OTA is in HD and for free. The DVDs I watch are screen clutter free.

Quote:
I can see why people feel there is nothing on when you have limited channels and or have to watch Live...

Since I only buy DVDs I have 60 years of programming to choose from. And I don't pay anymore for repeats.

Quote:
I don't think anybody is trying to diss anyone. Just the belief that what works for one works for everyone (else you're throwing away your money, time and don't have a clue as to what you shouldn't and should watch and when ). As far as the topic at hand input from both sides are valuable and having cut the cord myself presenting it only in one light seems rather simplistic.

By the way this is a discussion in a thread about not having Dish or cable. And I haven't said anybody is throwing thier money way. Its a free country and you can spend money on what you want to.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

This. I can understand Jedi Master not wanting to pay for TV and is perfectly happy with OTA, DVD/Blu, and online sources. But geez I hate to say it but Jedi Master is approaching Apple fanboy annoying levels with his constant shoving his beliefs down everyone's throats rather if they asked for it or not.

You must have asked for it since you are in a thread about not having Dish or cable.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

That's fine. But JediMaster has brought his anti-cable/dish rants into other threads.

Only in threads where its the subject of conversation. I don't post stuff like this in the DirecTV or Dish network threads.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder how long heavily-used, Chinese-made disc players last these days? Hmmmm.

My Panasonic Upscaling DVD player is 5 years old. I bought it in 2006. My mom's Toshiba DVD player is 9 years old and we bought it in 2002. I new Panasonic upscaling DVD player sales for $50 at Amazon.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't use a DVR because I would rather spend my money on shows I want on DVD instead of 100 channels full of reality shows, 3 hours blocks of the same show, and endless repeats.

Those 3 hours blocks and repeats serve at least two purposes (they are a good thing). Allowing different times zones to catch the show and more importantly it allows your DVR to record the show if it was missed earlier.

Quote:
They are uncut and commercial and screen clutter free.

DVDs have plenty of commercials.

Quote:
The funniest comedian on TV today is Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show.

I love Craig.

Quote:
Most of the suff I watch OTA is in HD and for free. The DVDs I watch are screen clutter free.

It's not free but we won't revisit that. DVDs have plenty of clutter with forced trailers, etc.

Quote:
Since I only buy DVDs I have 60 years of programming to choose from. And I don't pay anymore for repeats.

Actually everything you purchase is a repeat. Even more so should you watch the DVD again.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

And I haven't said anybody is throwing thier money way. Its a free country and you can spend money on what you want to.

You have repeatedly claimed that spending $100 a month on TV is a waste of money. Not just for you, but for anyone. This is the attitude that rubs people the wrong way - if you don't want to do it, fine, but that doesn't make other choices wrong. Nor is it right to jump into the cable channel threads and say that you think it's a waste or they suck, and that's why you're OTA, which you have done more than once here.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Liked: 13
My thought is that this is an HDTV forum. Don’t come to an HDTV enthusiast forum and expect that people are going to be satisfied streaming crap quality ESPN3, mostly crap quality Netflix and watching DVDs. Boasting that you have an expansive DVD collection in a forum for folks that care about HDTV is not going to win you much support.

If you are a sports fan, cutting the cord is not an option today unless you need to save money. And saving money is the only reason to cut the cord in the first place, right? I just don’t think anyone can make a compelling argument that it’s better not having cable/fiber/DirecTV than it is having it without money being the basis. For those of us that see value in the subscription service and can afford it, life is good. For those that don’t see the value and/or can’t afford it, that’s fine too. Sure I would like to pay less than I do each month, but I do have the option, and I choose FiOS.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

If you are a sports fan, cutting the cord is not an option today unless you need to save money.

Depends on the sports you like, teams you wish to see and where you live.

Quote:
And saving money is the only reason to cut the cord in the first place, right? I just don't think anyone can make a compelling argument that it's better not having cable/fiber/DirecTV than it is having it without money being the basis.

Look I can afford a $12 cheeseburger. Do I see value in paying $12 for a cheeseburger? Nope. I don't care how good it is. Does that mean I don't have $12? Nope.

Quote:
For those of us that see value in the subscription service and can afford it, life is good.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Depends on the sports you like, teams you wish to see and where you live.

Look I can afford a $12 cheeseburger. Do I see value in paying $12 for a cheeseburger? Nope. I don't care how good it is. Does that mean I don't have $12? Nope.

why would you even want a 12 dollar cheeseburger?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe yours are "still good enough", but the world is bigger than yourself. I'm 100% for keeping OTA around, myself, but not for the further degradation of OTA HD PQ.

I agree. Our local PBS started with 1080i when they went HD. After a while they switched to 720p as they thought it looked better with the limited bandwidth left over from several subchannels. The subchannels keep coming and the other week I tried to watch a show and it was unwatchable (corrupt audio). Their response was we know we have issues and they should have someone monitor the live feed.

Budgets cuts and subchannels have destroyed what programming they had of interest. I canceled a couple of season passes. I yipped at the local NBC as their subchannels began taking off... no luck there either. And what really gets me is that some of them have two weather channels and when there is a storm they take over the network channel and the weather channels are still taped (non live) coverage!