post #361 of 1689 Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post
Getting back to the subject of this thread, in a couple months it will be six years since I dropped cable. My life has not suffered from that decision. Once I saw the outstanding reception of digital HD from my old attic antenna, I realized most everything I watched was on broadcast networks and I wouldn't miss the few cable channels I did watch. Yes, the decision IS about money. I could and can afford to have paid service, but it isn't something I value enough to continue. The money not spent on cable paid for my first HDTV and for its larger replacement.

I happen to enjoy many of the scripted programs during the regular season. Enough to keep my DVRs busy. So not all of us consider it "garbage". I only watch HD so maybe the garbage is on SD. I've been building a nice collection on blu-ray of quality (IMO) movies. I could do HD streaming but so far that hasn't appealed to me.

As I read this thread, I think it's a bit sad that some people feel so defensive about their position/decision. If having a paid service has value to you, by all means enjoy! If OTA only serves you well, enjoy!

As for commercials, I mostly mentally tune them out when I'm watching something as it airs. But there are SOME that are creative genius, amusing and/or downright funny and I respect the talent that it takes to come up with them. I know there are too many commercials, but for OTA I accept the fact that they're there and life's too short to grouse about it.
Well said. By far the most intelligent post in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Then stop complaining about commercials and don't post quotes from other sites complaining about commercials on your free TV because you're too cheap to get a DVR.

Oh my goodness you didn't even read the post you quoted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi Master
The issue I have is paying for excessive commercials, screen clutter, reality shows, and to many reruns.

When I watch OTA I do so because its free. When there is nothing but crap on which is most of the time I turn it off and I don't have to worry about spending $100 a month on it.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #363 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

With a DVR you aren't going to see any... less than the forced commercials on DVDs.

With a DVR you are still going to see screen clutter, snipes, popups, and countdown clocks. Plus the parts cut out of you show to add more commercials. Some time its a part that ruins the show. Plus every 7 minutes you are going to pick up the remote to FF thru 5 minutes of commercials.

I have yet to see forced commercials on DVDs. I've watched movies and DVDs that were released last year. Its a good thing my DVD collection that I have doesn't have them.

post #364 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Getting back to the subject of this thread, in a couple months it will be six years since I dropped cable. My life has not suffered from that decision. Once I saw the outstanding reception of digital HD from my old attic antenna, I realized most everything I watched was on broadcast networks and I wouldn't miss the few cable channels I did watch. Yes, the decision IS about money. I could and can afford to have paid service, but it isn't something I value enough to continue. The money not spent on cable paid for my first HDTV and for its larger replacement.

I happen to enjoy many of the scripted programs during the regular season. Enough to keep my DVRs busy. So not all of us consider it "garbage". I only watch HD so maybe the garbage is on SD. I've been building a nice collection on blu-ray of quality (IMO) movies. I could do HD streaming but so far that hasn't appealed to me.

As I read this thread, I think it's a bit sad that some people feel so defensive about their position/decision. If having a paid service has value to you, by all means enjoy! If OTA only serves you well, enjoy!

As for commercials, I mostly mentally tune them out when I'm watching something as it airs. But there are SOME that are creative genius, amusing and/or downright funny and I respect the talent that it takes to come up with them. I know there are too many commercials, but for OTA I accept the fact that they're there and life's too short to grouse about it

Very nicely written. Nice to read quality, thought-out opinions
post #365 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

With a DVR you are still going to see screen clutter, snipes, popups, and countdown clocks.

Certainly with some programs some times. There is a price to pay if you want to be cutting edge and not wait for months and or years to watch something you find interesting. However in most cases you won't ever see the worse screen clutter SD.

Quote:

Plus the parts cut out of you show to add more commercials. Some time its a part that ruins the show.

I presume you are talking about movies here? Again, why wait years to view them if you are interested.

Quote:

Plus every 7 minutes you are going to pick up the remote to FF thru 5 minutes of commercials.

A typical 30 minute show has three breaks and you'll skip over them within a few seconds. There are no tapes or fast forwarding you simply press the Skip button a few times.
post #366 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

A typical 30 minute show has three breaks and you'll skip over them within a few seconds. There are no tapes or fast forwarding you simply press the Skip button a few times.

Tivo got rid of the skip feature in their HD model. You now have to fast forward over commercials, just like you did with an old VCR. Progress!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #367 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Don't think so - 30 sec skip can still be enabled while watching live TV or recordings by pressing select-play-select-30-select. Either HD or Premiere, I have it enabled on both.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462102
post #368 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Tivo got rid of the skip feature in their HD model. You now have to fast forward over commercials, just like you did with an old VCR. Progress!

Nope. Actually they have two skips now... one you can view the skip and the other you can't. Also TiVo buffers the Skip button... press it four times and it displays 2 minutes for a second while it jumps. After a day or two you'll be wasting a good 10 seconds or so per show skipping away... About as long as it takes to bypass those DVD trailers.
post #369 of 1689 Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
just cancelled netflix becuase I do have cable and on-demand is pretty niced.. I was waiting too long for a disc and I would find the movie on Cable a month later...
post #370 of 1689 Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Nope. Actually they have two skips now... one you can view the skip and the other you can't.

I only have the second. Where can I get the instructions for the first?
post #371 of 1689 Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I only have the second. Where can I get the instructions for the first?

On the Premieres I use it works this way out of the box. When you press the Skip button it advances 30-seconds however you can still see the video (super fast forward). If you press Skip again before it's done advancing it displays 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, etc below the time bar. Press four times and you skip two minutes. Once I programmed the old school skip it stopped displaying the video and jumps ahead.

You can reactivate the default 30 second scan under... Settings:Remote, CableCARD, & Devices:Remote Control Setup:Part 4: ADVANCE and REPLAY buttons

What is the new "30 second scan" feature?

On past TiVos, users had to enter a special remote sequence to enable the 30 second skip function.

The new "30 second scan" is enabled by default on the ADVANCE (-->|) button. This feature is very similar to the 30 second "slip" on DirecTV's HR24 DVR. It doesn't jump 30 seconds; instead, it fast forwards through a 30 second interval in one second (i.e. 30x speed). Pressing the ADVANCE multiple times in a row queues added time. If you hit the button four times in a row, the Premiere fast forwards through two minutes in four seconds. You can interrupt this at any time by pressing PLAY.

This new feature is essentially a more advertiser-friendly version of 30sec skip that allows viewers to see a little of the commercials they are skipping. For those that prefer the traditional 30 second skip, that behavior is enabled by entering the SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT sequence while watching a recording.

What changes were made to the trickplay functions?

Through settings, the behavior of the ADVANCE (-->|) button is now configurable as follows:

(1) ADVANCE scans forward 30 seconds (default)

Pressing ADVANCE quickly scans through 30 seconds. Each additional press will queue another 30 second scan. The progress bar will reflect the total queued scan time; for example, press the button six times and the progress bar will indicate a three minute skip.

Pressing and holding the ADVANCE button jumps to the end of the recording. If watching live TV on a delay, it jumps to the end of the live buffer (i.e. real-time).

Pressing and holding the REPLAY button jumps to the beginning of the recording. If watching live TV, it jumps to the beginning of the live buffer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ds#post7805471
post #372 of 1689 Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't think so - 30 sec skip can still be enabled while watching live TV or recordings by pressing select-play-select-30-select.

Shoot, I didn't see this in the manual. By default, it's in traditional VCR fast forward mode (meaning the HD model).

post #373 of 1689 Old 06-30-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Well, that's because it's never been in the manual - it's an unofficial code entry. But it does stick through a reboot.
post #374 of 1689 Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, that's because it's never been in the manual - it's an unofficial code entry. But it does stick through a reboot.

Yes, I got it to work last night as well as the secret 8 second skip-back. When I bought it I found out about all kinds of secret features like how to control it through the network via the telnet port but I never came across the skip secret. Many people complained that it didn't exist so I assumed they were right.

Why do they have secret features? Most people wouldn't give up the skip feature and go back to VCR fast forwarding over commercials yet that's what Tivo is officially offering.

post #375 of 1689 Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Why do they have secret features? Most people wouldn't give up the skip feature and go back to VCR fast forwarding over commercials yet that's what Tivo is officially offering.

With their current model (the Premiere) they officially support the 30 second scan (by default) as well as Skip back. Luckily, they still allow the 30 second Skip and it no longer gets reset after a reboot. Why? I think they try to remain advertiser friendly...
post #376 of 1689 Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Over-the-air only TV homes increase 10% to 46 million

Quote:

Joseph O'Halloran ©RapidTVNews | 08-06-2011

Perhaps worried US, pay-TV suppliers should not just be looking at OTT but also OTA the number of those relying solely on over the air services has risen sharply over the last twelve months.

According to data from Knowledge Networks, as part of its The 2011 Ownership Survey and Trend Report, itself a segment of The Home Technology Monitor, the number of Americans now relying exclusively on over-the-air (OTA) television broadcasting in their home increased to 45.6 million, up from 42 million just a year ago.

In addition the number of US households with TVs that rely solely on over-the-air signals to watch TV programming rose by a single point to 15% or just more than 17 million homes. Over the last three years this figure had remained at 14%.

As one may expect, the demographics of broadcast-only households included a large number of lower-income families. Yet, worryingly for pay-TV providers looking for tomorrow’s customers, it also included a high proportion of younger adults. A fifth of homes with a head of household age 18-34 are broadcast only, compared with 15% of homes in which the head of household is 35-54, or 13% of homes with someone 55 or older.

Even more worryingly for providers, the survey also found that a small but notable number of homes that have cancelled pay-TV services at their current home. According to the study, 4% of TV households, 5 million TV households, pulled the plug on their pay-TV service in their current home at some point in the past and now rely only on over-the-air reception. Of these homes, most report overall cost-cutting (71%) or not enough value for cost (30%) as the reason for doing so (respondents could give more than one reason).

"As we've seen for the past few years, over-the-air households continue to make up a sizeable portion of the television viewing landscape," said David Tice, Vice President and Groups Account Director of KN's Media practice. "Our research reveals that over-the-air broadcasting remains an important distribution platform of TV programming, and that the estimated number of broadcast TV households in the US has grown."

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php...6-million.html

post #377 of 1689 Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Liked: 15
Netflix increases pricing by 60%.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/te...s-package.html

I still think it's a pretty good deal for unlimited movie streaming. But the Redbox machine isn't all that far to go to if you only watch a dozen movies a month.

No reason to go back to HBO just yet.
post #378 of 1689 Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post
This combined with the recent purchase of SageTV by Google impacts about 90% of the content I watch.

I'm a bit concerned.

Oh, and no, not a gaming thread
post #379 of 1689 Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
OT posts, including one of my own, removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #380 of 1689 Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Back around 2004 or so, my buddy in Phoenix had cut the cord with DirecTV and was trying to convince me to look into OTA. Ironically even though I lived in the television capital of the world (Burbank) at the time, I was in the shadow of some mountains so only one or two out of town stations came in. So I shelved it for the next four years.

In 2008 I moved 20 miles farther west and decided to try it again. This coincided with the big digital conversion anyway. Wow! HDTV never looked or sounded so good (I had the HD satellite package previously). After a couple months I got a TiVo for time shifting OTA stuff and 3 years later between that, purchased DVDs and Internet streaming, I don't have enough time to watch it all. I don't think I'll ever go back.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #381 of 1689 Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Just a quick convention reminder
DTV = "digital television" = OTA = Over-the-air (free) television
D* = DirecTV
E* = Echostar = Dish Network

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #382 of 1689 Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

In 2008 I moved 20 miles farther west and decided to try it again. This coincided with the big digital conversion anyway. Wow! HDTV never looked or sounded so good (I had the HD satellite package previously). After a couple months I got a TiVo for time shifting OTA stuff and 3 years later between that, purchased DVDs and Internet streaming, I don't have enough time to watch it all. I don't think I'll ever go back.

Back in 2008 when I cut the cord I hooked up an antenna and when I first saw how good OTA HD looked I was amazed. When I watched my first football game OTA in HD I just couldn't believe how great it looked. With all the DVDs I've bought over the years and internet streaming I watch 4 to 5 hours of TV a night. There will be no going back for me.

post #383 of 1689 Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

SNL Kagan: 10% Of All Homes Will Cut Pay TV Cord By End Of 2015

Quote:

Some bad news today for the cable and satellite companies that have been pooh-poohing the possibility that millions of subscribers will cut the pay TV cord. Researchers at SNL Kagan -- one of the most cable-friendly forecasting firms -- say they expect 12.1 million homes in 2015 will receive TV shows and movies from Internet services such as Netflix instead of a traditional pay TV provider. That would represent 10% of all households and would be up dramatically from 2.5 million cord cutting homes at the end of 2010 and 4.5 million expected at the end of this year. Although cable and satellite companies still may add pay TV subscribers, SNL Kagan says that "the pace is not expected to keep up with occupied household formation." About 86% of all homes subscribed to pay TV in 2009 and that dropped to 84.9% last year.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/snl-...-cord-by-2015/

post #384 of 1689 Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The implication of that article is that pay TV penetration is going to slowly drift down into the 75% to 80% range, as compared to the roughly 85% that it's at today.

While that may not seem like a lot, it's a potentially huge deal when you start rolling it up as dollars. That 10 million households translates into $500 million/year in lost subscriber fees for ESPN alone.
post #385 of 1689 Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
I am one of the few who are thinking about cutting the cord - D* to be specific.

I read the whole thread and there are a few issues I didn't see. First off, for me the reason is money!

I pay $96 for standard def, three boxes (1 a DVR), and have had Direct for 8 years now.

The local stations are squashed beyond belief, I think because I am in a smaller market. Any time we have ever needed to watch local news due to severe weather we hadn't had signal. And PQ is terrible, much worse than it used to be. Also, we get NO subchannels in this package.

Once I started looking into putting up an antenna on my 30ft ham radio tower, I started to realize that most of the programming we watch now is major network stuff. Also, while the wife was away coaching the Special Olympics in Greece this year for three weeks, I actually never turned on the satellite - I watched stuff on my Roku.

Looking at TVFOOL, if I put up two antennas (which I am building), I will have 69 OTA channels from two markets (Charlotte and Greensboro, NC). I understand most of that will be repeats, junk, home shopping networks, and religious. But there will be some good stuff on there, too!

Since I would have already spent money on the internet and speed (3.5mbps), and with Roku and its' private channels, it is only a few shows that I would miss. Looking again - almost all of them could be purchased on Amazon. Now, $20-30 for a season of Mythbusters, Top Chef, Project Runway, Tosh.0 is not free, but I could buy three to four shows for the price of one month of satellite and watch anytime I want.

The private channels on the Roku have content that isn't available on cable/satellite, and even terrific stuff (best bits from Late Show/Late Night/Conan up every day, available instantly - access to Itunes podcasts, justin.tv, internet archive, public domain channel, TED, and more).

I find value in Netflix, and have used them for years. The streaming quality is good and I find I watch more interesting programming than what is on most of the pay tv channels.

Roku does have live streaming news channels (BBC International, CNN International, Al-Jazeera English, Russia Today English, and more) and the perspective is actually quite refreshing. It is a bit below SD, but I am not a news junkie, so that is okay.

Crackle offers free programming (old sitcoms and old Columbia movies), with some ads, and the PQ is fine.

I run linux at the house, so I have a TV tuner card and will be trying to use Mythtv to make my own DVR. I think I will be able to automatically record everything I need, and have it available on the ROKU for watching by the next day, transcoded and perhaps commercials automatically edited out.

If I want to be able to delay watching live content to skip commercials but not have to wait a day, I might have to purchase another computer for the TV, but it shouldn't be more than $300 to do that. Older TV tuner cards that record ATSC are $20-$40 each... So adding multiple tuners shouldn't be that much of a cost.

We are going to go in stages - one antenna and see how the records look on the computer... then another antenna and more tuner cards - then maybe suspending the account (and not closing) and see how we get along. We don't watch sports, we don't have kids - and honestly lately it has been a chore flipping through the channels and finding something new to watch. If you have no debts and have disposable income - of course, enjoy what you want.

But I think a lot of us have cable/satellite and don't consume the amount we are purchasing and are being taken advantage of; bad service, bad programming, bad content. There are some GREAT shows on pay tv - but they are available on Amazon (like LOUIE, which I love) to purchase individually, or wait a few months (or a year!) and get the whole season from Netflix. I know most Americans would put their satellite/cable above their food budget, and consider it a necessity rather than a luxury. I think with internet streaming devices, Netflix, Amazon and/or Hulu, and OTA, though we might be good and will be spending quite a bit less in the long run without really sacrificing anything.
post #386 of 1689 Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
krisbee,I'm with "E" andi pay the same amount as you($96.00 per mo.).That is for 1 HD receiver(no dvr)i own 4 DVDR's so i don't need to pay for something i don't use.
I would cut my satellite service too if i could.There's just one problem with that, and that is the fact that EVERYTHING that i watch is only available on Sat. or Cable.There is literally nothing OTA that i would ever watch(except ME-TV) for which i bought a cheap indoor antenna for,and also to make sure i get all hurricane or other disaster info.The one drawback to satellite is that during a hurricane i lose the signal.If i could ever figure out how to get TCM and a myriad of other channels,then i would cancel my sat. G.
post #387 of 1689 Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. Actually they have two skips now... one you can view the skip and the other you can't. Also TiVo buffers the Skip button... press it four times and it displays 2 minutes for a second while it jumps. After a day or two you'll be wasting a good 10 seconds or so per show skipping away... About as long as it takes to bypass those DVD trailers.

Yep. Great "hidden" feature for sure.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #388 of 1689 Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Looks like Dish now wants to go for "a better class of customer" and upsell to everyone else if they can. And forget the low income types.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...d-numbers.html
post #389 of 1689 Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Dish and pay TV should add a better class of programming. Great link but they needed to address the lower quality of programming to go with everyting else they said.

post #390 of 1689 Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Maybe Dish and pay TV should add a better class of programming. Great link but they needed to address the lower quality of programming to go with everyting else they said.

For me, that's exactly why I subscribe to a multichannel provider: the major OTA networks are getting lazy.

The class has started to shift over to cable.

Sure, there's plenty of crap on cable, too, but enough good shows to fill my time. Over half the shows I watch now are on cable.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page