post #451 of 1689 Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post
Based on that fact I really can't take your recommendations on TV viewing seriously.
John Ritter, Don Knotts, and Redd Foxx are some of the funniest men on TV.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1689 Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
But once their DVDs are marked down to $9.99 in 10 years they instantly become classic material no longer presented on TV.
That is not me. There is old stuff out there I wouldn't watch if my life depended on it. There is a lot of corn out there. I only buy DVDs of stuff I know I'm going to enjoy. One of the reasons I don't have pay TV anymore is because I got tired of paying for stuff I don't like.

post #453 of 1689 Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I've been a fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Dallas Cowboys since the 70s. I get to see the majority of their games the years they have a good seasons. With the Cowboys disaster they had last year I'm glad it didn't cost me money. The networks put on the best matchups of the day and if my team is having a bad year and not on TV I'll gladly watch them.

Well you picked the perfect team for us to discuss, then. I have been a Bama fan since the 90's when I lived in Mobile. Now that I live in California, I am surrounded with PAC10 games, most of which I don't want to watch. We're lucky to be fans of a team that gets national exposure like the Tide, but even still, last year only half their games were on CBS. The other half were indeed on ESPN, and I know for a fact I had to watch the Duke game on ESPN3 because it wasn't even on TV. Now that I've cancelled cable, I'm going to have to find ways to see my Tide when they're not on CBS.

Anyway, my point isn't to argue with you, its just that I would love to have the option to pay for ESPN and only ESPN. I'm sure the people in this thread who DON'T want ESPN would agree.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #454 of 1689 Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 14
Why should you have to pay ANYTHING for ESPN with all the commercials they show??
post #455 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
Well you picked the perfect team for us to discuss, then. I have been a Bama fan since the 90's when I lived in Mobile. Now that I live in California, I am surrounded with PAC10 games, most of which I don't want to watch. We're lucky to be fans of a team that gets national exposure like the Tide, but even still, last year only half their games were on CBS. The other half were indeed on ESPN, and I know for a fact I had to watch the Duke game on ESPN3 because it wasn't even on TV. Now that I've cancelled cable, I'm going to have to find ways to see my Tide when they're not on CBS.

Anyway, my point isn't to argue with you, its just that I would love to have the option to pay for ESPN and only ESPN. I'm sure the people in this thread who DON'T want ESPN would agree.
Its great being an Alabama fan. With Nick Saban as head coach Bama is in the best shape its been since Bear Bryant was head coach. I can't wait for September 3rd. The Alabama vs Kent State game will be on the SEC Network which is carried by a local channel where I live. Then the Penn State game is going to be on ABC. I wish Alabama would have been on CBS more last year. In 2009 I got to watch 11 of Bama's 14 games OTA in HD with my antenna. I watched the other 3 games on ESPN3. They won the National Championship that year and I enjoyed it for free.

I wish I could get ESPN during football season but the cable companies don't work that way. But the $2,700 I've saved since I cut the cord in Nov. 2008 puts a lot of salve in the wound.

post #456 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Why should you have to pay ANYTHING for ESPN with all the commercials they show??
I feel the same way about all the channels on pay TV. The stations are getting paid to show the commercials and the subscribers are paying the stations to watch them.

post #457 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Then you aren't truly a fan of a team, just a fan of the sport. I, too, can wither away in front of the boob tube watching whatever silly contest the networks thought I'd like to see most, but that's not necessarily true.

Fans of a team will want to watch their team play, no matter what channel its on. If my team plays on MNF or NFLnet, or if the Saturday game is on ESPN instead of CBS, I am going to need to find a way to watch them. What about the BCS games? All of them are on ESPN now.

You do know tighr that NFL Games on ESPN & NFLN must also be simulcasted on OTA stations in the primary markets of the participating teams (home team still subject to the usual with the usual NFL blackout policies). The reason why games on cable/satellite networks are made available to OTA stations in the primary markets is to maximize ratings & to keep Congress off the NFL's back so that they may keep their antitrust exemption.

And the FOUL!
post #458 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

You do know tighr that NFL Games on ESPN & NFLN must also be simulcasted on OTA stations in the primary markets of the participating teams.

You do know Tom Wellman that this country is quite large and diverse, and that many people do not have the luxury of living and working in the same city as their favorite professional sports team, and thus cannot see their favorite team on OTA when at home? I currently live in Bakersfield, CA (this is where my job is), which is not in the primary market of ANY NFL team, let alone my favorite NFL team.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #459 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

You do know Tom Wellman that this country is quite large and diverse, and that many people do not have the luxury of living and working in the same city as their favorite professional sports team, and thus cannot see their favorite team on OTA when at home? I currently live in Bakersfield, CA (this is where my job is), which is not in the primary market of ANY NFL team, let alone my favorite NFL team.

And that is what Sunday Ticket is for. What is your point? I live 800 miles form Tampa. I'm a Bucs fan. Very few if any Bucs games are on "local" channels.
post #460 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

That's far too easy. If they weren't aired you'd pay a lot more or it wouldn't be broadcasted. Even if they broadcasted Strong Man Contest versus the NFL the fees would probably go up because of the drop in viewers... to cover the losses in ad revenues and subscriptions.
post #461 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been without cable for just over 3 years relying on OTA with a supplement of Netflix, streaming and DVD rental/purchase. My Dish DTVPal DVR gives me the option of timeshifting/skipping commercials, etc. One of the aspects of OTA not explored as much is lifestyle. I'll use myself as an example:

Interests - TV isn't the center of my life. My interests are varied.
Family - I am not married and don't have kids. No household audience to keep entertained.
Income - I earn enough to hook up to a pay service but choose not to.
Entertainment Choice - Pay TV doesn't hold enough content in bulk to interest me.
Reliability/Local Origination - I still enjoy local TV when done right.
Local Coverage of Issues/Situations - My neighbors lose their satellite reception in the middle of heavy thunderstorms, just when you need to see local weather warnings. I can view the local warnings via OTA through a properly set up indoor antenna (the outdoor antenna - unhooked during lightning filled events)
Feeling of Independence - OTA gives you a sense of self reliance. If I have to grouse about my lousy reception, I'll have to complain to myself

For those who want pay TV, peace be with you and do what you want. It's your choice. I just choose to take a different path.
post #462 of 1689 Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post

I've been without cable for just over 3 years relying on OTA with a supplement of Netflix, streaming and DVD rental/purchase. My Dish DTVPal DVR gives me the option of timeshifting/skipping commercials, etc. One of the aspects of OTA not explored as much is lifestyle. I'll use myself as an example:

Interests - TV isn't the center of my life. My interests are varied.
Family - I am not married and don't have kids. No household audience to keep entertained.
Income - I earn enough to hook up to a pay service but choose not to.
Entertainment Choice - Pay TV doesn't hold enough content in bulk to interest me.
Local Coverage of Issues/Situations - My neighbors lose their satellite reception in the middle of heavy thunderstorms, just when you need to see local weather warnings. I can view the local warnings via OTA through a properly set up indoor antenna (the outdoor antenna - unhooked during lightning filled events)
Feeling of Independence - OTA gives you a sense of self reliance. If I have to grouse about my lousy reception, I'll have to complain to myself

For those who want pay TV, peace be with you and do what you want. It's your choice. I just choose to take a different path.

Much easier to go OTA only when you not only live close to a market you live close to many markets.
post #463 of 1689 Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Interests - TV is the center of my life.
Income - I wouldn't spend any income on pay TV with the state its is in today.
Local Coverage of Issues/Situations - I can view the local warnings via OTA through a properly set up indoor antenna.
Feeling of Independence - OTA gives you a sense of self reliance. If I have to grouse about poor programming and nothing on, I can turn it off and not worry about it costing money.
DVD collection - My collection has my favorite programming and I always have something good to watch.

post #464 of 1689 Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post

This one I don't buy for a moment. If the service was free (all available programming) I'm extremely comfortable you would replace much of your current viewing time (regardless of how little or much it is) with different shows. What's the odds of you finding a library with 1,000 books more entertaining than one with 10. It simply comes down to you aren't willing to pay for it for any number of other reasons.
post #465 of 1689 Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I have become truly fed up with television... the cost of it. This year I have regularly watched two programs and one sport.

BREAKING BAD, NINJA WARRIOR and Boxing.

DirecTV dropped G4, so no more Ninja Warrior. And they don't have AMC in High Def, so I was forced to download HD torrents last year.

So why am I paying all of this money? I don't watch anything!!

So I dropped it. Shut it down. Put it on hold until i can figure out what to do. The expense is just ludicrous when I don't watch any of the damn channels I am forced to pay for.

About the only channels I had any interest in at all (other than mentioned above) are MGM-HD, SonyHD and HDNet Movies. Once in a while they would have something I'd like. Once in a while.

All of the 'regular' cable channels.... They were never viewed.

'Packages' are one reason why every day thousands of people are saying bye-bye DirecTV, DISH, Comcast, whatever.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #466 of 1689 Old 08-21-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

This one I don't buy for a moment. If the service was free (all available programming) I'm extremely comfortable you would replace much of your current viewing time (regardless of how little or much it is) with different shows. What's the odds of you finding a library with 1,000 books more entertaining than one with 10. It simply comes down to you aren't willing to pay for it for any number of other reasons.

Nice, so you are calling Bozzmonster a liar. Guess that makes my wife and I liars as well.

I've said this many times but need to again. Cutting the cord is a personal decision each must make based on their personal entertainment preferences along with their personal financial considerations. One size does not fit all.

Please don't pretend you know anything about Bozzmonster, me or anyone else. Are you so insecure in your decision you need to question the honesty of those who reach a different decision?

Why do you care what others think? You like pay TV, great, good for you.
post #467 of 1689 Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Please don't pretend you know anything about Bozzmonster, me or anyone else. Are you so insecure in your decision you need to question the honesty of those who reach a different decision?

Why do you care what others think? You like pay TV, great, good for you.

What decision would that be? When did I say I cared what others think? What makes you think I like pay TV? The fact that I have cut the cord on two occasions including last fall? Look at who is actually judging people.

And for the record I didn't question anyone's honestly. Rather the point of having less selection is equalling entertaining.
post #468 of 1689 Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are missing the point. The problem with those 1,000 books or channels is that most of them are Reality show channels, channels that show the same redundant programming and repeats, shopping channels, religious channels, spanish speaking channels and others we have no interest in. If it was free I would watch ESPN and the NFL Network during football season and thats it.

In my case I have my favorite programming on DVDs so I have more programming I'm interested in. I have no need for those 1,000 channels.

The last few days I've been watching preseason football, MeTV, and some programming on CBS and NBC OTA and haven't even ran my DVD player.

post #469 of 1689 Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 AM

Liked: 13
Throwing my .02 in...

I find we don't want much on Satellite except the OTA stations anyway, maybe 90% is network, with 10% being everything else.

The thing is we are heavy TV viewers - hours at a time.

But with the DVR, most of the stuff we get is reruns on the OTA stations. Once you have watched pay tv for awhile, you get caught up - honestly. We have seen tons and tons of shows on pay tv, all very similar to content before, and we have reached a point of saturation. We have seen so many episodes of "How Its Made", or "Sweat Equity" or whatever...

So, looking that we are pay $100 a month, I want that money back, so we are cutting the cord this month. Plenty of new stuff for us to watch on the Roku, and I have built a MythTV system in the house so we don't lose any of our viewing methods (in fact they are better since the commercials are cut automatically out, and the file is shared in the whole house with the Rokus so we can watch anywhere). The other stuff is available on the channels websites or at Amazon. We only have SD, so that level of resolution will be fine with us.

Of course, the OTA HD is beautiful on the computer. With the money saved we might afford a new HDTV next year. But I think we are taking the money and going to Disney World instead
post #470 of 1689 Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are missing the point.

Quote:

If it was free I would watch ESPN and the NFL Network during football season and thats it.

No, you just proved my point.

Quote:

In my case I have my favorite programming on DVDs so I have more programming I'm interested in. I have no need for those 1,000 channels.

Nothing offers more repeats than DVDs.
post #471 of 1689 Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

And they don't have AMC in High Def, so I was forced to download HD torrents last year.

Just a clarification. No one FORCED you to download torrents. If I lose my job and I rob a bank for money, my firing did not "force" me to rob that bank. I CHOSE to do it. You CHOOSE to illegally download content. Fact is you can find your AMC shows in HD available for download on Amazon.
post #472 of 1689 Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I picked up my first DVD player in early 2000 and my first DVR (standalone TiVo) in Oct. of that same year. My DVRs get far more use than my DVD, now Blu-ray, players. The content on my DVRs is dynamic, while optical discs content remain unchanged.
post #473 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you just proved my point.

No, you asked what's the odds of you finding a library with 1,000 books more entertaining than one with 10. I said I have interest in only two of them.

Quote:

Yes if you buy one movie on DVD and keep watching it. But one movie on DVD doesn't cost $100 a month. A TV Show box set on DVD cost around $25 each. Instead of paying $100 a month for pay TV you can buy 4 box sets of TV Shows on DVD with it. That adds up to 8 box sets in two months, 12 box sets in 3 months, 24 box sets in 6 months, 48 box sets in a year, and 96 box sets in two years. Or you can just spend $10 a month and rent and stream them from Netflix. All of the programs are programs you previously haven't spent money on and its programming your interested in. Then you get to keep it after you buy it. My DVD collection has grown so big over my 9 years of buying DVDs I got to where I have stopped paying for TV.

Plus I get 15 channels (6 in HD) OTA and there are nights that I don't even run the DVD player. Also there is plenty of streaming video online for free.

post #474 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post

The content on my DVRs is dynamic, while optical discs content remain unchanged.

Your getting ripped off paying a monthly fee for that same DVD.

post #475 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

A TV Show box set on DVD cost around $25 each.

I've gotten TV Show Box Sets for as little as $5.00 at Wally's and $3.00 at Big Lots. On weekends, I've obtained Box Sets of entire TV Series for as little as a Buck while "Garage Sailing"!
post #476 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you asked what's the odds of you finding a library with 1,000 books more entertaining than one with 10. I said I have interest in only two of them.

Apparently the odds are 100%. And since you haven't cruised down the aisle yet I'm not sure how you would even know.

Quote:

Yes if you buy one movie on DVD and keep watching it. But one movie on DVD doesn't cost $100 a month.

Neither does subscription TV in most cases (for the 1,000 times).

Quote:

A TV Show box set on DVD cost around $25 each. Instead of paying $100 a month for pay TV you can buy 4 box sets of TV Shows on DVD with it. That adds up to 8 box sets in two months, 12 box sets in 3 months, 24 box sets in 6 months, 48 box sets in a year, and 96 box sets in two years.

The price is debatable. It doesn't matter how many it adds up to as once you have viewed them they are worthless unless you want to sell them for pennies on the dollar. Even based on your mantra you get the option of watching four shows a month (less than two for what I paid for satellite/cable). Sorry, my interests are more varied.

Quote:

Or you can just spend $10 a month and rent and stream them from Netflix. All of the programs are programs you previously haven't spent money on and its programming your interested in.

Sure years later if you are lucky you might get to watch some of the entertainment you missed. Again, the shows you have no interest in become interesting once you can get them for $10 a month.

Quote:

Then you get to keep it after you buy it. My DVD collection has grown so big over my 9 years of buying DVDs I got to where I have stopped paying for TV.

Again, nothing but repeats.

Quote:

Plus I get 15 channels (6 in HD) OTA and there are nights that I don't even run the DVD player.

My TiVo says there are 54 OTA channels in my market. All I know is there are a whopping five of them I have actually watched.

Quote:

Also there is plenty of streaming video online for free.

You can take a walk for free too. However that doesn't replace the upcoming season of Mad Men or any number of shows one might find enjoyable.

I'm going to do you, myself and others a favor. Since you repeat the same mantra endlessly and I respond I'm going to break the chain. Welcome to my ignore list.
post #477 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

I've gotten TV Show Box Sets for as little as $5.00 at Wally's and $3.00 at Big Lots. On weekends, I've obtained Box Sets of entire TV Series for as little as a Buck while "Garage Sailing"!

I once found a penny in the street. Although I don't use it as a basis for my income.
post #478 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
I once found a penny in the street. Although I don't use it as a basis for my income.
I once found a penny on the sidewalk, a 1909 San Francisco. Worth about 50 Bucks! Too bad it didn't have the initials "VDB" between the stalks of wheat, it would have been worth 10x more!

Think about all the DVDs I could have bought with that little Bugger!
post #479 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
I once found a penny on the sidewalk, a 1909 San Francisco. Worth about 50 Bucks! Too bad it didn't have the initials "VDB" between the stalks of wheat, it would have been worth 10x more!

Or the two weeks of D* you could have subscribed to, with only 102 weeks left to go to fulfill your contractual obligation...
post #480 of 1689 Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

I have one of those 1909 SVDB pennies that I acquired about 30 years ago. It's in the safe deposit box. Haven't decided which of our children to leave it too
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page