post #541 of 1689 Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I hate to tell you but there are countless number of television shows not available on Netflix. Some do become available well after they become repeats (years later).

Oh, I see. Well, good! I'll watch what's available on Netflix now, and then in several years when I'm finished, these other shows will be then be available! Plus, time will have done me the service of weeding out the crap that I used to spend my weeknights watching, while the cream floats to the top!

Woe is me if shows like Jersey Shore and Real Housewives never end up on Netflix

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1689 Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jersey Shore actually is on Netflix- I watched the first episode just out of morbid curiosity. I can't believe people actually watch that regularly, let alone prefer it to music videos.
post #543 of 1689 Old 09-18-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

As has been explained many times... that's a good thing. It lets you pick up new content your DVR missed the first time around because you were recording other new content. With all of the new content it's hard to keep up.

Its a good thing you enjoy the endless repeats but I don't at the price the Pay TV companies are charging for them.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #544 of 1689 Old 09-18-2011, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualpow View Post

I have Dish now and was shopping for new service last night. As I was pricing different providers It occurred to me. Can I just get the fastest internet connection, a tivo or similar and subscribe to online video services? Has anyone done this? Then I would use VOIP for phone and internet for video. I really want to cut the cable/satellite cost from my life!

Netflix is the best online service to subscribe to. Also look into buying an antenna so you can get your locals OTA in HD. Go to www.tvfool.com and type in your info. The HDTV Technical forum here at AVS is the place to go for antenna info.

The Channel Master 7000 DVR is a dual HD Tuner DVR that works with OTA and has no monthly fee.

post #545 of 1689 Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Somebody had asked about the fastest internet speed and cutting Dish - well, depending on your needs, you might not even NEED the fastest speed. I use 3.5mbps to stream (granted I only have an SD TV), but this is DVD quality to my eyes.

Here I have cut satellite out - yes there is good programming on Satellite/Cable, but we found here that many of the shows we watch were OTA/Network, and the few that weren't were available on the channels website. Plus, quality has been slipping steadily - just look at all of the reality programming on TLC/Disc/A&E. And the few that weren't available on the websites were available for purchase from amazon for $2 an episode.

Netflix is such a good deal - people look at it as a price hike, but really it can be looked at like streaming was free for a long time and now it isn't.

Yes, they don't have every show - but they have lots of shows, and some that never even made the air on this side of the pond. I can still watch Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, etc. for $8 a month. For another $8 a month, I can always have a dvd of any movie/show waiting for me. $16 vs $100 is a great deal.

I use the Roku to stream, and there is great material for free on there as well. It has been a month, and I was overjoyed when I realized last paycheck that I could use that $100 and put it to pay down some CC debt

Oh, and BTW, we haven't lost DVR functionality - the computers do all of our OTA recording and cut the commericals out for us
post #546 of 1689 Old 09-18-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Jersey Shore actually is on Netflix- I watched the first episode just out of morbid curiosity. I can't believe people actually watch that regularly, let alone prefer it to music videos.
only the first 2 seasons last time I checked (not too long ago), and they are on season 4.

Hulu+ is up to date on Jersey Shore.
post #547 of 1689 Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM

I have to say I've never paid for cable. I've just moved into my 2nd apartment with my wife and the only thing she's missed is tennis. Just set up ESPN on the xbox360 and now she's happy. Between Amazon Instant, iTunes, and good ol' buyin the dvds, we're totally happy. Sure beats having to fast-forward through advertisements, and you get to watch your shows whenever you want!

Moo.
post #548 of 1689 Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Liked: 20
Time-Warner Cable reported today that they lost 128,000 Subscribers during the Third Quarter.
post #549 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Time-Warner Cable reported today that they lost 128,000 Subscribers during the Third Quarter.

Cable Companies in denial about cord cutting...
Time Warner's explanation for losing subscribers this quarter...

Quote:

One counter-argument for the cord-cutting crowd: Time Warner Cable's broadband data subscribers numbers increased by 89,000 even as video subs declined. Again, that doesn't have to be a cord-cutting signal it's possible, for instance, to use DirecTV for video and Time Warner for data. But if you're inclined to think otherwise, that's what you're going to do.

http://allthingsd.com/20111027/big-c...ting/?mod=e2fb

The cable companies can keep thinking that while subscribers continue to leave.

post #550 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

The cable companies can keep thinking that while subscribers continue to leave.

The problem with this is DirecTV and a couple of the cable companies added more than the number of losses from other providers.

So, it may not be cord cutting so much as people re-evaluating the value they get from their provider and checking out another.

Perhaps TW just sucks.
post #551 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

So, it may not be cord cutting so much as people re-evaluating the value they get from their provider and checking out another.

A few weeks ago I was told U-verse TV had over a 30-day waiting period for installation (in my area).
post #552 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

A few weeks ago I was told U-verse TV had over a 30-day waiting period for installation (in my area).

I put my U-Verse account on "vacation hold" in July, and finally called up to cancel the TV portion yesterday. However, I'm keeping the internet portion.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #553 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked: 13
I notice no one has mentioned that the cord-cutters best friend NetFlix, lost 800,000+ customers in the third quarter.
That must be at least as relevant to this thread as a story about a TW call center employee dying.
post #554 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Only question is it due to demand or the usual AT&T crappy service?
post #555 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Around here it's demand. People can't switch fast enough from the horrible Charter and AT&T can't keep up.

Scott
post #556 of 1689 Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Around here it's demand. People can't switch fast enough from the horrible Charter and AT&T can't keep up.

Exactly.

"Crappy" is subjective, based on whether there might be something worse. A meal at McDonald's may be crappy to me, but it might be the best meal a hungry homeless person had all week.

People go where they get value and feel valued.

I recently dumped my Netflix plan down to 1 disc at a time with streaming while I get my BB subscription going. It wasn't the service I was getting - that was fine. It wasn't the price hike - I was willing to simply drop streaming and keep the 3 out plan. It was the proposed move to put the disc customers on "Quickster". Even thought they decided not to make the change, it drove home the feeling that Netflix doesn't want disc customers. The fact they weren't going to have us under the Netflix name made me feel like an outcast.

I don't stay where I'm not wanted.

I left a decently paying job for being made to feel that way. I'm sure not going to pay someone to do that.
post #557 of 1689 Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

One counter-argument for the cord-cutting crowd: Time Warner Cable's broadband data subscribers numbers increased by 89,000 even as video subs declined. Again, that doesn't have to be a cord-cutting signal it's possible, for instance, to use DirecTV for video and Time Warner for data. But if you're inclined to think otherwise, that's what you're going to do.

Isn't it worse for TW to be losing customers to DirecTv than to OTA? So that argument doesn't make sense for them. Losing customers to OTA/Streaming indicates people cutting the cord based on costs. Losing customers to DirecTv which also costs money indicates your overall TV service sucks.
post #558 of 1689 Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Isn't it worse for TW to be losing customers to DirecTv than to OTA? So that argument doesn't make sense for them. Losing customers to OTA/Streaming indicates people cutting the cord based on costs. Losing customers to DirecTv which also costs money indicates your overall TV service sucks.

Yes and no.

There's a lot of money in broadband and the overhead of TV is getting higher. It's almost better to shed subscribers if the ones they are shedding are the smaller package, more cost conscious ones. It's likely they can still keep them on a more profitable broadband plan where there's a chance to sell them streaming VOD of Warner programming.

Let DirecTV figure out how to price pay TV as content prices go up.

Further, even if they switch to D* for a little while, once the economy improves, they're still in the database to upsell them back to TV services if D* doesn't work out for them - provided, of course, they only left in the first place due to a better deal on programming rather than hating the service.
post #559 of 1689 Old 10-29-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It could be costs to at least some degree, too, considering the introductory deals.
post #560 of 1689 Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its just like the owner of McDonalds losing 128,000 customers to Burger King and saying "Its okay, they still eat hamburgers".

post #561 of 1689 Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Its just like the owner of McDonalds losing 128,000 customers to Burger King and saying "Its okay, they still eat hamburgers".

Which is kind of right. "At least they're still eating hamburgers.. we can win 'em back" beats "they've gone Vegan.. lost forever."

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #562 of 1689 Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Which is kind of right. "At least they're still eating hamburgers.. we can win 'em back" beats "they've gone Vegan.. lost forever."

Right...they still are willing to pay for TV.

If they left for...nothing...then they would have a harder time getting them back.
post #563 of 1689 Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if Time Warner called up their 128,000 ex customers and asked them where they went.

post #564 of 1689 Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

I wonder if Time Warner called up their 128,000 ex customers and asked them where they went.

They already know as AT&T added 176,000.
post #565 of 1689 Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sometimes wonder if you ever actually had pay TV. Once a customer leaves or switches services the company they departed from makes numerous attempts to woo them back, including calling on the phone.

You know what your "vital public resource" doesn't offer? High Speed Internet, TWC does. If you ask people which they'd rather have in 2011 it's HSI.
post #566 of 1689 Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I left Time Warner cable for Dish back in 2001/2003 (when I could get locals from Dish). I also got DSL because it got to my place about 6 months prior to cable modem internet.

I'm in the middle of dropping my POTS/DSL service from Centurylink in favor of cable internet and VoIP (I'm just waiting on the number porting right now). It was a dollars and cents decision - I'll be getting more speed for less dollars, and not giving up anything on voice phone going this way. However, I'm still staying with Dish for now.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #567 of 1689 Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post

I sometimes wonder if you ever actually had pay TV. Once a customer leaves or switches services the company they departed from makes numerous attempts to woo them back, including calling on the phone.

You know what your "vital public resource" doesn't offer? High Speed Internet, TWC does. If you ask people which they'd rather have in 2011 it's HSI.

I had Cox Cable from 1990 to 2008. When I canceled Cox never called me back. I guess they knew I was fed up with all the pay rate hikes they hammered me with over the last 5 years I had them.

I have AT&T's DSL 1.5 MBps service for $20 a month and it streams SD perfectly. I get HD OTA. I buy DVDs and add them to my huge collection because buying DVDs offers me something cable doesn't. Alacarte programming.

post #568 of 1689 Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:

I had Cox Cable from 1990 to 2008. When I canceled Cox never called me back. I guess they knew I was fed up with all the pay rate hikes they hammered me with over the last 5 years I had them.

I have AT&T's DSL 1.5 MBps service for $20 a month and it streams SD perfectly. I get HD OTA. I buy DVDs and add them to my huge collection because buying DVDs offers me something cable doesn't. Alacarte programming.

I use AT &T for my internet as well. You are quite right about "A-La Carte" Programming. You watch and pay for ONLY what you desire to, not a horde of channels that offer nothing of interest to you.

Pay TV - A WASTE of time and money.
post #569 of 1689 Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Rabbit Ears Redux: Antennas for Free Broadcast TV Make a Comeback

Quote:

TV lovers hit by the weak economy and fat cable bills are going old-school. More and more people are using antennas to get free programming. That's right: The pair of rabbit ears that your grandmother jiggled to tune in I Love Lucy can still receive dozens of digital channels on HDTVs and other flat screens. The picture is better, many swear, and there are plenty of updated options to harness those gratis airwaves, starting at around $10.

Unplugging wouldn't put you in a freakish minority. The number of Americans relying solely on over-the-air TV has risen from 42 million to 46 million in the last year, according to Dennis Wharton of the National Association of Broadcasters, a trade group and union for the over-the-air TV and radio industries. "The recession has prompted people to review whether pay-TV services are affordable in a down economic time," he told DailyFinance.

Antennas Direct, a St. Louis manufacturer, recently staged a 45-city tour to give away its most popular antenna -- the $99 Clearstream 2 -- to unemployed people who could no longer afford cable or satellite TV services. More than 3,000 lined up at a Toyota dealership in Dothan, Ala., last week to get one. "You would think we were giving away cars, these people were so grateful," Antennas Direct President Richard Schneider said. "But paying $1,200 a year for cable is a lot if you're struggling."

Analog television broadcasts may have died two years ago, but free broadcast TV is alive and kicking ... and expanding. The digital spectrum allows the transmission of three or four programs at the same time on what was once a single channel, creating subchannels that multiply viewers' choices. Many of the new offerings are foreign-language shows that cater to Hispanic and Chinese audiences, which make up a large fraction of the over-the-air viewing audience, according to Wharton. One in four Hispanic families and one in three Chinese households uses an antenna. Among the nation's major urban centers, Los Angeles offers up to 90 free channels and New York City 70. (St. Louis has among the most limited choices at 20 channels.) Local network affiliates, public stations and UHF are usually available in most markets.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11/...ake-a-comebac/

post #570 of 1689 Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

I use AT &T for my internet as well. You are quite right about "A-La Carte" Programming. You watch and pay for ONLY what you desire to, not a horde of channels that offer nothing of interest to you.

Pay TV - A WASTE of time and money.

I agree.

Deep Discount 25% Sale dates are 11/03/2011 - 11/20/2011. Code is WINTER11. Head on over to see if you want anything.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page