Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1689 Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Currently there is an aversion by the NFL to allow ESPN to air the Super Bowl because of the limited accessibility.

Well they aren't concerned about the limited accessability of MNF now are they? At least with the CBS bowl games they will be on ESPN3. ESPN doesn't put MNF on ESPN3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1689 Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

It was a bright shining beacon untill 2004. That is when the decline started. There was a lot of good TV shows and movies on and there was variety. AMC and the Disney channel didn't have any commercials and they had good programming. TV Land showed classics, TLC was The Learning Channel, and the Scifi channel showed science fiction.

My favorite original cable series was on throughout the 90s. Mystery Science Theater 3000 was on Comedy Central and the Scifi channel.

You're forgetting that until 1991, the Disney Channel was a premium channel that was something like $9 a month.

AMC was a premium channel until 1987. I don't know how much the channel was, but it wasn't the pocket change they get in carriage fees now.

In other words, someone in your household was paying some dollars to get those channels. If you could still buy them separately, and they cost what they did as premium channels (and didn't have the commercials, of course), would you pay that premium price?
post #723 of 1689 Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well they aren't concerned about the limited accessability of MNF now are they? At least with the CBS bowl games they will be on ESPN3. ESPN doesn't put MNF on ESPN3.

You're mixing the NFL with college football. When it comes to rights management, it's apples and oranges.

And CBS postseason games are on cbssports.com, not ESPN3, IIRC.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #724 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

You're mixing the NFL with college football. When it comes to rights management, it's apples and oranges.

And CBS postseason games are on cbssports.com, not ESPN3, IIRC.

I think he meant BCS, not CBS. The BCS games will indeed be on ESPN3. Monday Night Football is not on ESPN3, but it is on watchESPN, I believe. That's another service, though, and one my ISP doesn't subscribe to.

And, at the risk of turning this OTA thread into a thread about how football is aired OTA, Today the networks signed new deals through 2021, bringing the total annual haul to around $7 billion, up from $4.3 billion. I just don't see how this product keeps getting more and more expensive!

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...eals-bonanza/1

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #725 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I think he meant BCS, not CBS. The BCS games will indeed be on ESPN3. Monday Night Football is not on ESPN3, but it is on watchESPN, I believe. That's another service, though, and one my ISP doesn't subscribe to.

And, at the risk of turning this OTA thread into a thread about how football is aired OTA, Today the networks signed new deals through 2021, bringing the total annual haul to around $7 billion, up from $4.3 billion. I just don't see how this product keeps getting more and more expensive!

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...eals-bonanza/1

Demand. As long as people keeping paying, they'll keep selling.
post #726 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Have to wonder how much longer ESPN3 will exist in its current incarnation. If I was in charge of ESPN, I would seriously consider moving all the stuff that is live on an ESPN network to WatchESPN, and just leaving the ESPN3 exclusive stuff up on ESPN3. A lot of cord cutters use ESPN3 as an excuse to drop their TV subscription, but if all the good stuff went to WatchESPN (which requires a TV subscription) then ESPN would hold on to a lot more subscribers.
post #727 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

I just don't see how this product keeps getting more and more expensive!

One word: advertising. In today's fractured-demographic, DVR-skipping, online watching world, the choices for ads that have a better chance of being seen by a diverse and large audience are few and far between. Networks need that programming not only for the high advertising fees it brings, but for the best opportunity to convert eyes to their other programming. CBS and NBC already learned the hard way what happens when you let an NFL deal slip away. Not that getting one back has helped NBC tremendously...

But you're right. Thread needs to get back on track a little more.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #728 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Have to wonder how much longer ESPN3 will exist in its current incarnation.

I see ESPN3 being pretty much the same as other streamers. It's free (more or less) until the point it has some value (enough viewers) then it will disappear or become not so free. Just like Hulu, Netflix and others are losing content everyday... the content providers will either be afraid they are losing revenue from other streams and nix it or demand large sums of money.
post #729 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Have to wonder how much longer ESPN3 will exist in its current incarnation. If I was in charge of ESPN, I would seriously consider moving all the stuff that is live on an ESPN network to WatchESPN, and just leaving the ESPN3 exclusive stuff up on ESPN3. A lot of cord cutters use ESPN3 as an excuse to drop their TV subscription, but if all the good stuff went to WatchESPN (which requires a TV subscription) then ESPN would hold on to a lot more subscribers.

The only ones that watch ESPN3 are watching on small screens or analog TVs as the PQ is so low quality you couldn't watch on a big flatscreen - at least I can't.

Without college football, ESPN would be an afterthought IMHO.
post #730 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

The only ones that watch ESPN3 are watching on small screens or analog TVs as the PQ is so low quality you couldn't watch on a big flatscreen - at least I can't.

I watch ESPN3 on my 124" projector.

Now, granted, I would prefer that it was higher quality, and have even advocated that I would pay ESPN directly for the privilege. However, the fact is that when I want to watch a game that I don't have access to over TV, I will watch it on my projector.

post #731 of 1689 Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

The only ones that watch ESPN3 are watching on small screens or analog TVs as the PQ is so low quality you couldn't watch on a big flatscreen...

I'm not sure where you get your information but I either watch it my 47" plasma or 96" projector screen.

Most of the time the image is perfectly acceptable. Is it true HD, no, is it good enough, damn straight.
post #732 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 AM

Liked: 18
My Sister made her decision to "Cut the Cord" earlier this week. I was at her house when she phoned the Cable Provider and informed them that she was cancelling her subscription. She told them that she was spending too much money ($118.00 a Month) to watch but a handfull of channels of the 300+ Channels they offer. She also stated that it would be nice if one could "Pick only the Channels they want to watch, and not a boatload of channels which are never watched. She is hooking an Antenna to her house. Her three Children were a little upset at loosing Disney and Nickleodeon, but I am giving them over 1,000 Hours of Children's Shows from the 1960s and 70s on DVD for Christmas. I gave them an early presant, a copy of the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" Series Thunderbirds and they lapped it up. They can't wait until they open all the other shows I gave them.
post #733 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 AM

Liked: 13
There were three points I would like to comment on:

One was that cord cutters end up being as annoying as vegans on people who spend money on cable. This made me laugh, because it is true. I am a cord cutter, and I do tend to do that, but that is because it annoys me that people will be late on their insurance bill, their mortgage bill, rack up 15k on a cc, but they will still have the premium package. It is a utility, like water, to most people. It is that mindset that I think us cord cutters are really going about.

I LOVE TV, and if I was debt free, I would love a whole package, but the fact is most of us are really struggling in this economy. Little things have gone up slowly and we don't realize how bad it has become - hidden fees, blantant fees, downsizing food packages but keeping the price the same, milk and eggs have gone up, we still use quite a bit of gas, even at these prices... so when we can save $100 a month and help tread a bit easier, we get whiny about it

There is a lot of entertainment out there that is free, or cheap, or whatever, and I will tell you, since we cut the cord, our house is a lot cleaner; we used to have dust everywhere, dog hair, clothes in piles, windows unwashed. I am not joking - but it seems that since we streamlined how much we watch, all of those things have been tended to - our home has never looked nicer.

Second point was that Netflix has gone down hill as it became more popular; I disagree. It has changed, but honestly the Starz movies were mostly crummy, and PQ was terrible. I have noticed more back catalog of WB movies from the 60's and 70's, and I will take those great older movies over the current crop of movies - not because they were so much better, but I can get those from DVD's - I would rather have the older stuff in better PQ, and more of it. It always is the back catalog that is exciting to watch - to find a gem. Heck, some of the latest things to show up have been great - watched STRIPES a few nights ago - still funny! Also, they have been adding the quality cable series; Mythbusters, Mad Men, How its Made, No Reservations, etc. That has been AWESOME. When the network shows go on hiatus for a few weeks or months, we can watch a whole series, and it is fantastic. So I think the agreements Netflix have been doing have been good for the service.

Third point: as for ESPN3 - I only watch the odd ball stuff - cricket, rugby, polo, that kind of stuff. I am not a sports fan, so it is fun to watch what other countries play - so I can't comment on the football or basketball that airs there. PQ can be fair to good, but we do watch on a SD TV. I would be fine with it only showing stuff like poker, gymnastics, soccer, etc.
post #734 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

There were three points I would like to comment on:

One was that cord cutters end up being as annoying as vegans on people who spend money on cable. This made me laugh, because it is true. I am a cord cutter, and I do tend to do that, but that is because it annoys me that people will be late on their insurance bill, their mortgage bill, rack up 15k on a cc, but they will still have the premium package. It is a utility, like water, to most people. It is that mindset that I think us cord cutters are really going about.

I LOVE TV, and if I was debt free, I would love a whole package, but the fact is most of us are really struggling in this economy. Little things have gone up slowly and we don't realize how bad it has become - hidden fees, blantant fees, downsizing food packages but keeping the price the same, milk and eggs have gone up, we still use quite a bit of gas, even at these prices... so when we can save $100 a month and help tread a bit easier, we get whiny about it

There is a lot of entertainment out there that is free, or cheap, or whatever, and I will tell you, since we cut the cord, our house is a lot cleaner; we used to have dust everywhere, dog hair, clothes in piles, windows unwashed. I am not joking - but it seems that since we streamlined how much we watch, all of those things have been tended to - our home has never looked nicer.

Second point was that Netflix has gone down hill as it became more popular; I disagree. It has changed, but honestly the Starz movies were mostly crummy, and PQ was terrible. I have noticed more back catalog of WB movies from the 60's and 70's, and I will take those great older movies over the current crop of movies - not because they were so much better, but I can get those from DVD's - I would rather have the older stuff in better PQ, and more of it. It always is the back catalog that is exciting to watch - to find a gem. Heck, some of the latest things to show up have been great - watched STRIPES a few nights ago - still funny! Also, they have been adding the quality cable series; Mythbusters, Mad Men, How its Made, No Reservations, etc. That has been AWESOME. When the network shows go on hiatus for a few weeks or months, we can watch a whole series, and it is fantastic. So I think the agreements Netflix have been doing have been good for the service.

Third point: as for ESPN3 - I only watch the odd ball stuff - cricket, rugby, polo, that kind of stuff. I am not a sports fan, so it is fun to watch what other countries play - so I can't comment on the football or basketball that airs there. PQ can be fair to good, but we do watch on a SD TV. I would be fine with it only showing stuff like poker, gymnastics, soccer, etc.

I second you krisbee!

I confess I do get a little "Pushy" about our Hobby, and if that's the case forgive me.

Pay TV is NOT a Necessity. Food? Yes. Water? Yes. Housing? Yes. Clothing? Yes. Television? Absolutly NO! I watch about 3 1/2 Hours of TV a Night. Last Night I started off with a DVD of Frosty the Snowman, this was followed by a VHS of the George C. Scott Version of A Christmas Carol Followed by the Going Home Episode of Trauma on DVD.

Tonights Programming will be as Follows:

The Little Drummer Boy (They REFUSE to show this special in Detroit, apparently a certain group finds a characture in this show to be "Offensive").

Movie: A Christmas Story

Then one Christmas Episode each from Petticoat Junction and Lassie. Uncut and Commercial-Free. After watching them they'll go back on the rack, this coming July I'll pull some of them out for my "Xmas in July" week that I always do on the last week of that month. It sure gets my mind off the hot Florida Weather!

Stop the Presses!

I just found out Susan Gordon, an actress who played on several TV Shows and Movies in the 1950s and 60s, has passed away. Among the shows she starred in was a Television Version of Miracle on 34th Street that aired in 1959. I happen to have a copy of that show (It came with the 1947 Movie), so in tribute to her I will watch it tonight, "Bumping" the Petticoat Junction and Lassie episodes until tomorrow.
post #735 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm not sure what happened. I went about scanning for clear-QAM channels again last night on my htpc. I wanted to try the channel re-mapping that was spoke of earlier. However, it seems all my clear-QAM channels have vanished, and my basic analog channels have gotten much worse, and some of them have gone, as well.

I don't know if this is part of Comcast's move to all-digital, or what, but I'm glad I have my local OTA channels.
post #736 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloot View Post

I'm not sure what happened. I went about scanning for clear-QAM channels again last night on my htpc. I wanted to try the channel re-mapping that was spoke of earlier. However, it seems all my clear-QAM channels have vanished, and my basic analog channels have gotten much worse, and some of them have gone, as well.

I don't know if this is part of Comcast's move to all-digital, or what, but I'm glad I have my local OTA channels.

ConCrap is probably as responsible for cord cutting as any cost related issue. Their signal is much more unreliable than any experience I've ever had with satellite, equipment is garbage, software pathetic and service is terrible.

I had heard FCC was going to allow encryption of all the QAM channels but didn't know if it has been implemented yet. Wouldn't be surprising since ConCrap owns them anyway.
post #737 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Considering ESPN3 is on the XBOX 360 I seriously doubt your statement. PQ is not that bad. Maybe you need to get something faster than 1.5 meg DSL.
post #738 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Considering ESPN3 is on the XBOX 360 I seriously doubt your statement. PQ is not that bad. Maybe you need to get something faster than 1.5 meg DSL.

Nice assumption on the 1.5. I have 20MB cable and the PQ is crap on a PC with a 42" plasma (it's not that good on my 21" monitor). Besides, you have to have a specific carrier to get ESPN3 and Qwest (Century Link) is not one of them (don't know about other DSL carriers).
post #739 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
ESPN3 is definitely not crap on an Xbox360 PQ-wise, it's pretty good. But you do have to pay extra for a Live Gold sub to get that (at least $40/year).
post #740 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Don't you mean BCS Bowl games?

And the FOUL!
post #741 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM

For those of you who just pay for Internet now... What are you paying per month and at what speed?

Are most of you Comcast?

I know with Comcast at least once you get rid of tv services the Internet rate goes up
post #742 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Just found this thread.

I think it's the wave of the future. The only thing keeping cable/satellite in the game is live sports. That's something that streaming/Netflix/Redbox can't do very well, if at all. OTA can do it, but can't presently outbid cable/satellite for the rights. If subscriber loss hits cable/satellite hard, you may see their ability to outbid OTA for live sports impeded, and a move back to OTA.

All IMHO.
post #743 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM

The two biggest groups to reluctantly give up paying for TV are the News and Sports "Junkies", who HAVE to be able to get their "Fixes" any time they want to. I have come across LEGIONS of Households that would LIKE to cancel their supscriptions but then say either themselves or (Insert name of Resident) "Cannot go without their "Precious" 24 Hour News Channel and/or Sports Channel". I used to be a big Sports Fan, but just as TV Shows have nosedived in quality in the last decade I've seen Sports Programming also take a dive, with ever-too-frequent Commercial Breaks making the games last longer than they should, as well as making them BORING.

I get my news from the Internet (And I don't read or watch anything that'd Gloom-and-Doom or Political) and I simply do without sports. Of course if Pay-TV Prices continue to escalate, and the economy fails to improve, these "Junkies" may find themselves in a position where they must choose feeding the family or paying the Cable Subscription. Guess which will likely happen?
post #744 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

I used to be a big Sports Fan, but just as TV Shows have nosedived in quality in the last decade I've seen Sports Programming also take a dive, with ever-too-frequent Commercial Breaks making the games last longer than they should, as well as making them BORING.

I think TV has never had more quality shows. Shows like Dexter, Mad Men and tons of others are well beyond the content of yesteryear. Sure you might not enjoy either of the two I listed but there are dozens that are universally acclaimed. Regarding sports it's the same such as having the Tour de France in HD. As far as commercials go I haven't watched them in over a decade.
post #745 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

The two biggest groups to reluctantly give up paying for TV are the News and Sports "Junkies", who HAVE to be able to get their "Fixes" any time they want to. I have come across LEGIONS of Households that would LIKE to cancel their supscriptions but then say either themselves or (Insert name of Resident) "Cannot go without their "Precious" 24 Hour News Channel and/or Sports Channel". I used to be a big Sports Fan, but just as TV Shows have nosedived in quality in the last decade I've seen Sports Programming also take a dive, with ever-too-frequent Commercial Breaks making the games last longer than they should, as well as making them BORING.

I have both DishNet Satellite and an antenna for OTA reception,and i'll tell ya,i won't give up my Sat.service any time soon.Why??,cuz there's tooo much good programming that isn't available OTA.I don't give a hoot for sports,never watch it,never.I do watch some news,but i couldn't stand to watch it all the time,i'd go crazy if i did. My big thing is movies. I LOVE to watch movies!!,and the channel at the top of my list is TCM-HD. Try getting that station OTA sometime-good luck!! There are other stations that i like too,MGM-HD is one. There are others.All without commercials too!!

Some people argue that since the highest rated shows on tv are all shown OTA,then people should just cut the cord and go OTA. The problem i have with that is that, i don't watch shows or movies according to their popularity rating,but rather whether I like the show/movie,and i'll tell ya quite frankly,that i don't like the programming OTA. There is IMO nothing there that i personally want to see. Others have a diff. opinion,i understand that.

The reason i have an antenna is so i can get ME-TV, what a great little station that is!!! love it!!! Definitely the best OTA programming on the air, IMO.
The other reason for having an antenna is for receiving the latest info. when hurricanes approach.For that reason alone,it's worth it to have an antenna.
post #746 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I have both DishNet Satellite and an antenna for OTA reception,and i'll tell ya,i won't give up my Sat.service any time soon.Why??,cuz there's tooo much good programming that isn't available OTA.I don't give a hoot for sports,never watch it,never.I do watch some news,but i couldn't stand to watch it all the time,i'd go crazy if i did. My big thing is movies. I LOVE to watch movies!!,and the channel at the top of my list is TCM-HD. Try getting that station OTA sometime-good luck!! There are other stations that i like too,MGM-HD is one. There are others.All without commercials too!!

There is also this thing called Netflix. It' $8 a month. Much cheaper than satellite.
post #747 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

There is also this thing called Netflix. It' $8 a month. Much cheaper than satellite.

Yea,iv'e thought about Netflix,and a few other options,but haven't come to any conclusions yet. One of the biggest things(among several) is that TCM shows movies that have either never,or rarely ever been available on disk.Some movies they show have never even been out on VHS tape! so Netflix wouldn't help me there.
post #748 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Shows like Dexter, Mad Men and tons of others are well beyond the content of yesteryear. Sure you might not enjoy either of the two I listed but there are dozens that are universally acclaimed.

I love Dexter, but I'm not paying $1200+ per year in order to watch it.

post #749 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love Dexter, but I'm not paying $1200+ per year in order to watch it.

That would be like subscribing to Netflix's x out at a time plan and renting only one disc a year. Just because you don't take advantage of all of the other great content don't blame them.
post #750 of 1689 Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

ESPN3 is definitely not crap on an Xbox360 PQ-wise, it's pretty good. But you do have to pay extra for a Live Gold sub to get that (at least $40/year).

...and not have a **** cable co like Time Warner.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page