The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1689 Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow, do I dare post in this thread about dropping cable/sat as someone who has done so? Or will I be accosted by those that still pay for TV, and apparently can't read the title of a thread? Guess I already know the answer. Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Seems like I've heard over 80% of the content an average TV viewer watches, is from OTA.

It was higher than that for me, if you ignore grand slam tennis and the kids wasting time. I had everyone write down what they actually watch, wasn't that hard really, with 3 DVRs with season passes to look up. Virtually all primetime network TV, plus reruns you can get anywhere.

So, I dropped my $94 D* service around 8 months ago. My $27 antenna is doing a fine job. I do miss the tennis, but I was finding less and less time for such things, anyway. I have three kids about to be teens, more important to do something besides watch TV with them. I sure as hell don't miss finding them watching Cartoon Network every time I turn around. What a load of crap that channel is. Between the internet, OTA (with DVRs), and Netflix I have plenty to watch, and still manage to avoid commercials most of the time.

The major sports leagues have spent the last 20 years beating into me just how much they are only about money, while the entertainment level drops yearly. (unless you really like flashing lights distracting from the actual sport) NFL is the only one I can stand, anymore, and that's only because I really like football. Although, we'll see what bs they pull this year.

ESPN can't even be bothered to put "lesser" sports out in HD. Seriously don't want to pay for that crap 10 years after HD began, so I stopped altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1689 Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

I didn't post it, but it is extremely relevant to a lot of people.

If you're familiar with all of his posts here and elsewhere, and his attitude on the subject in general, he constantly states that OTA is "better" than cable - not that it may be better for himself and some others, but in a way that everybody else *should* feel the same way he does.

In regards to that argument, posting that broadcast TV programming in general has higher ratings than cable is irrelevant.

I mostly agree with his criticisms of the state of TV in general these days, but the fact is that people want to watch what they want to watch, and they have every right to do so, as long as it's legally available, regardless of what any "ratings" say.
post #183 of 1689 Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

CATV. Community antenna television.

But I think the point is right. So many people watch mostly the networks which are available OTA, but 2 years ago they got scared into ordering cable because they were allowed to think their antenna would be useless after the DTV changeover.

That is exactly right. Before the DTV transition the cable TV companies were running endless commercials about people using an antenna might lose thier signal. But if you sign up for cable your will be good to go. It was nothing but half trues. If they would have said with DTV you can get your locals in HD plus subchannels so you can have more channels OTA than before they would have lost customers instead of gain them.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #184 of 1689 Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Irrelevant.

But please feel free anyway to explain why you posted that, as I'm curious as to what your true motives are.

If you're familiar with his posts, he constantly states that OTA is better than cable - not that it may be better for himself and some others, but in an egocentric way that everybody else *should* feel the same way he does.

In regards to that argument, posting that broadcast TV programming in general has higher ratings than cable is irrelevant.

I posted the article because its an interesting article for the posters in this thread to read.

As far as the way I feel I think that OTA and cable both suck these days. There are too many reality shows, 3 hours blocks of the same show, and to many commercials. My favorite TV programs are from the 60s through the 80s and all the TV shows I have on DVD are from this time.

post #185 of 1689 Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

.....they were delighted, especially to find out that there are sub-channels that they didn't get with sat/cable. They don't miss sat/cable since they really didn't watch any of the channels exclusive to those services (or so rarely it didn't matter).

As noted, this is an HDTV forum. Please confine the discussion here to such, as subchannels most definitely dilute HD image quality.

For OTA SD discussion please see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #186 of 1689 Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

Wow, do I dare post in this thread about dropping cable/sat as someone who has done so? Or will I be accosted by those that still pay for TV, and apparently can't read the title of a thread? Guess I already know the answer. Moving on...

Not sure you know the answer if you have to ask. The entire point is to discuss the pros and cons of each approach.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #187 of 1689 Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Condescending posts removed. Let's keep it civil. Not a place to trash people's decisions.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #188 of 1689 Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Isn't it difficult finding tapes for your VCR anymore?

Actually, no. I still see VHS and cassettes being sold at WalMart. Still at decent prices, too.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #189 of 1689 Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
282,759 VHS tapes available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...22&pf_rd_i=130

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #190 of 1689 Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

Actually, no. I still see VHS and cassettes being sold at WalMart. Still at decent prices, too.

I don't know if I'd want to buy them there.

They only sell bottom-of-the-barrel blank media in their stores now, like Memorex DVD's.

I'd imagine whatever brand they are, if they're not "Mem-o-wrecks", they're of a similar grade.
post #191 of 1689 Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Study: 60% of Generation Y Leaning Toward Cutting the Cord

Quote:

A survey released today aims to show cable providers how they can keep losing their influential viewers from cutting the cable. Ideas and Solutions, a Los Angeles-based consultant group for media and technology companies, says that 60% of people between the ages of 18 and 29 were either leaning towards or seriously considering giving up paid television.

The Ideas and Solutions report, which is greatly skewed to the point of view of the paid television operators, puts the so-called Generation Y demographic of 70 million TV watchers into three groups - "loyalists," "leaners" and "at-risk." Not surprisingly, the "at-risk" group were early adopters of technology much more likely to gravitate towards services like Hulu and Netflix. What category do you fall in?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ing_the_co.php

post #192 of 1689 Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

They only sell bottom-of-the-barrel blank media in their stores now, like Memorex DVD's.

I'd imagine whatever brand they are, if they're not "Mem-o-wrecks", they're of a similar grade.

I did score a few blank Sony VHS' that were in my library's free bin last month.

Yea, I'm not big on Memorex either. Some Jewel-Osco's and Big Lots still sell VHS. You just need to look around. Or try Craigslist or FreeCycle. A lot of ppl are "throwing" out all their VHS once they transfer them to DVD+/-R.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #193 of 1689 Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

I did score a few blank Sony VHS' that were in my library's free bin last month.

I see that Walgreens has Sony's at 2/$3.00 (limit 4) this week.

I sold a whole load of brand new blanks after I had my first HDD/DVD recorder long enough to know I would never be going back (kept a couple of the "really good" ones, though).
post #194 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

My first two VHS tapes that I bought back in 1982 were Memorex. I still have them and they still work. I still have a cabinet full of old VHS tapes. Its been 2002 since I last bought blank VHS tapes. I have stuff on VHS that will probably never come out on DVD.

post #195 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
So is anyone else as peeved as I am with all the mindless reality programming on formerly "good" channels (History, Science, Discovery, etc.)? Content quality has really taken a hit even compared to a few years ago. It just isn't worth the monthly costs anymore to have dish or cable, especially with the added negatives of pervasive on-screen snipes, huge logos, in-programming advertisements for upcoming programming, etc. The ONLY way to get our displeasure across to the content providers is to bail in large numbers, hope for changes, then come back. I'm reaching the "just screw it all" point myself.
post #196 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

So is anyone else as peeved as I am with all the mindless reality programming on formerly "good" channels (History, Science, Discovery, etc.)? Content quality has really taken a hit even compared to a few years ago. It just isn't worth the monthly costs anymore to have dish or cable, especially with the added negatives of pervasive on-screen snipes, huge logos, in-programming advertisements for upcoming programming, etc. The ONLY way to get our displeasure across to the content providers is to bail in large numbers, hope for changes, then come back. I'm reaching the "just screw it all" point myself.

Blame the economy. Five or six years ago, you could have niche shows on, say, "Discovery," and, even though ratings were small, you could sell advertising based on the quality of that small audience. But, in a down economy, cost-per-point starts to win out and that great niche programming starts to lose money while lowest-common-denominator trash shows draw bigger numbers.

Same reason there's virtually no classical music on commercial radio, anymore. Advertising salespeople just can't win the upscale-beats-noscale audience argument. It's all about cost-per-point.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #197 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Considering that only about a handful of large corporations own just about all of the channels, it all becomes a lot more understandable.
post #198 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart, but back in the 1970s I only bought expensive back-coated audio recording tape. And what happened? Turned out the small-particle back-coated reel-to-reel tape from all the major manufacturers (Ampex, 3M, Agfa) had a binder problem where it absorbed moisture and the tape shed. Perhaps you've heard of the need for "baking" audiotapes from the 1970s to restore lubrication so they can be played one last time and copied to digital.

All the 99 cent junk (non-backcoated) Shamrock, Lafayette and Radio Shack tape from the same era? No problem. It still usually plays perfectly.

So just because it's low end, doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.
post #199 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is that way with blank DVDs/CDs, though. In fact, there are only 2 or 3 brands worth buying now, and those generally cost more than all the others.
post #200 of 1689 Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 PM

We dropped cable and just stream netflix and buy BD's.

I will admit to missing ESPN3D. I'm not much of a sports fan but watching a game in 3D on a big screen is fanstastic. It's not worth the $70, but it's close.
post #201 of 1689 Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

Go ahead and do it. I got fed up and cut the cord in 2008 and I have saved $2,600 in cable fees since. There are HD channels, classic channels like RTV, This TV and MeTV for free OTA. Then there is Netflix for $10 a month. Then if you want to spend more money buy your favorite shows on DVD. There will be no going back for me since I now own most of my favorite shows.

post #202 of 1689 Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

It is that way with blank DVDs/CDs, though. In fact, there are only 2 or 3 brands worth buying now, and those generally cost more than all the others.

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Since the early 90's I've burned literally thousands of discs of all types using every brand of media from the most expensive down to unlabeled bulk and store brands, like Staples.

I have yet to lose a single bit of data on a disc that wasn't physically damaged.

I've only had 2 issues in that time period:

1) At one point, I had a rash of discs become coasters in the burning process. It turns out, the drive was going bad.

2) When high speed media came out, there was still a lot of low speed stuff out there. You had to make sure the burning program settings were correct for the media to make sure you weren't burning at a higher speed than the media was capable of. That's really not an issue anymore.

Anyhoo...

I'm still not quite ready to drop my satellite subscription mainly because there are a few channels out there I still find a lot of good stuff on. Networks like USA, HDNet and a few others still get at least 40% of my viewing. Out of the 15 shows I record each season, at least 6 on cable channels - none are reality shows or repeats from OTA. Plus, I've come to really depend on the DVR to make sure I don't miss shows I want to watch. Right now, the package is worth the money. The future is not written, though...

However, a few years ago, I dropped all the movie channels and put part of that savings into a Netflix plan. I haven't looked back since. No more monthly fees to maybe get 3 or 4 movies a month I actually want to watch. Even the series aren't enough of a draw when I can rent the Blu-rays later.

Netflix has also saved me from a lot of blind buys. Now, it's not that I got burned very often by doing those buys, it's just that I've found I really don't need to own as much of that stuff anymore. I did reduce my plan down by one disc per month when they raised the BD fee. I didn't receive fewer discs, though. I simply returned them sooner. So, I started paying less than what I was before they raised the access fee and got just as many discs. Their loss.

I think the big thing is, you have to do what you can live with.

I like having a large number of channels and a library of movies I can select content from. So, for now, having my satellite service and a Netflix subscription serves me well. I'm not ready to hit up sites like Hulu for content, nor will I stream movies if Netflix stops mailing discs.

I'd rather not watch it at all than do it that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #203 of 1689 Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Yes, I have plenty of old, house brand stuff which has held up just fine, too, but nowadays, the more "serious" archivists generally go by these ratings, to be safe (especially if they're using DVD recorders):

www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm.

Actually, they don't really cost any more online when on sale than the stuff in the stores, and places like Supermediastore.com even occasionally throw in free DVD sleeves.
post #204 of 1689 Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still not quite ready to drop my satellite subscription mainly because there are a few channels out there I still find a lot of good stuff on. Networks like USA, HDNet and a few others still get at least 40% of my viewing. Out of the 15 shows I record each season, at least 6 on cable channels - none are reality shows or repeats from OTA. Plus, I've come to really depend on the DVR to make sure I don't miss shows I want to watch. Right now, the package is worth the money. The future is not written, though...
Have you checked the prices of the DVDs or Blu-Rays for the 6 cable shows. It might be the same or less cost to buy them than to pay for them on satellite. Then you wouldn't have the screen clutter or the commercials to put up with.

post #205 of 1689 Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Have you checked the prices of the DVDs or Blu-Rays for the 6 cable shows. It might be the same or less cost to buy them than to pay for them on satellite. Then you wouldn't have the screen clutter or the commercials to put up with.

Yeah except he'll have to wait until after the season is over to see them. Many people like to watch the current season NOW. A lot of TV shows I see on DVD want $40 for the most recent season. And that's DVD not even blu-ray.
post #206 of 1689 Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Many people like to watch the current season NOW.

I don't really understand this mindset in 2011. There's always something else to watch. Is it possible that Gen Yers and some of us Gen Xers have learned to be patient with something? Shocking, I know.
post #207 of 1689 Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

I don't really understand this mindset in 2011. There's always something else to watch. Is it possible that Gen Yers and some of us Gen Xers have learned to be patient with something? Shocking, I know.

Shocking, but some of use don't want to work for our TV or wait around for it - or watch other stuff while waiting. Why would I watch something else instead of the show I actually want to see? Heck, I can do that now, if I want.

I turn on the DVR and the shows are there when I choose to watch them.

Further, if I didn't have a multichannel provider, there are a lot of great shows I'd never know existed. I stumble upon a lot of stuff that ends up becoming something I enjoy watching.

On the other hand, I have zero desire to lay out for movie channel subscriptions even if some of the series they have are top notch. When they aren't on, I find browsing for other things on those channels to be a disappointment.

Here's my take: if someone is willing to go without cable or satellite, that's fine. I'm not a stockholder, so I don't care. However, I have the money...its my money...and if I prefer to subscribe. It's not up to you to decide if that's right or wrong. It's not even up to you to understand it. I like watching TV on my TV and keep up with shows I enjoy. I like waiting to find out what happens on shows with cliffhangers. I like being able to avoid spoilers by already having seen the episode.

BTW: I know how to be patient. I was born right at the beginning of the 70's when cable was still in its infancy (it didn't even exist in my home town) and nobody had a VCR. There were no DVRs or Netflix and the rental industry in general was still to come. There was no internet (and ARPAnet doesn't count) and no streaming video. We had to wait and sit down to watch a TV show when it aired. If we missed it, we had to wait until it was re-run. Heck, I had to wait until I was almost 8 years old until my parents finally got a color TV.

When I was a kid, in order to watch home movies, you had to wait for Dad to haul out the screen and the projector and get it threaded up.

Oh yeah - 4 people...1 bathroom...older sister. That's patience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #208 of 1689 Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Further, if I didn't have a multichannel provider, there are a lot of great shows I'd never know existed. I stumble upon a lot of stuff that ends up becoming something I enjoy watching.

Just curious, but how is that any different than browsing through a recommendations list and trying something new? I don't see why a TV "world-view" or TV exploration needs to be limited to what's in an EPG. I consider any content provider with a massive selection my multichannel provider.

Also, I seem to have struck a nerve with the patience thing. Sorry. It was kind of a joke since we in GenX/Y get such a bad rap with the patience thing, but let's take it seriously for a moment. Obviously, I already know some people don't want to wait for TV and your post very clearly illustrates that mindset. I'm more interested in why some of us have learned to be patient with TV. My guesses are DVR and the negotiated content delays at Netflix have desensitized us a bit.
post #209 of 1689 Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Just curious, but how is that any different than browsing through a recommendations list and trying something new? I don't see why a TV "world-view" or TV exploration needs to be limited to what's in an EPG. I consider any content provider with a massive selection my multichannel provider.

Easy.

I can watch it and find out without having to buy something or waste a slot (and 3 days) in my Netflix queue. It's on now (or coming up in a little bit). I can check it out immediately.

There are a lot of shows that I see recommended that I really don't bother with if I can't sample them easily. Maybe I'll get to them someday, but I'd rather watch the new stuff when I can check it out and either bail on or keep watching on my own terms.

Quote:

Also, I seem to have struck a nerve with the patience thing. Sorry. It was kind of a joke since we in GenX/Y get such a bad rap with the patience thing, but let's take it seriously for a moment. Obviously, I already know some people don't want to wait for TV and your post very clearly illustrates that mindset. I'm more interested in why some of us have learned to be patient with TV. My guesses are DVR and the negotiated content delays at Netflix have desensitized us a bit.

Honestly, I think you're in the minority.

Most people I know cut the cord because they wanted to save money. Having to wait or watch through Hulu is a tradeoff they're willing to make. They aren't more patient: they just see it as a fair trade. Also, many of them primarily watch the broadcast networks so they can still watch most of the stuff the like immediately.

I can go to a carnival and get a funnel cake. Now, say I know that the guy in the booth will give it to me at no cost or a much lower cost at the end of the night when he wants to fry off the remaining dough. Some people are willing to wait and not spend the extra money. Others want it now because it's part of the experience to walk around with it while you scope out the rides and games. Plus, if it's really good, you can always come back and get some more later - maybe at the end of the night.

It's not about being more or less patient. It's about whether you enjoy the experience. It's entertainment.

It's the same funnel cake - only the price is different. I don't think all those people that buy it at full price are making any worse a decision than those that wait and get it cheaper. Going to the theater for a movie seems silly to some when you can wait and watch it cheaper. Heck, if you wait long enough, it'll be on ABC or NBC over the air for nothing. But, there will be commercials and parts of it edited out.

I enjoy having a bunch of channels at the ready. That's one of the ways I spend my money. I don't go to sporting events and seldom go to concerts. I choose carefully which movies I see in the theater. Netflix saves me money on premium channel subscriptions. I can cook, so I don't have to eat out. I also own my vehicles free and clear.

Now, I can see where people might resent the cable model and not want to play. That's OK.

However, if nobody did, we'd have a heck of an entertainment problem when the who thing implodes on itself. Guys like me keep the entertainment financed so it can come out on DVD or to streaming services. This stuff won't be paid for on home video or the internet. I'm helping finance your viewing choice - which is ironically, the one aspect most people here hate about cable: financing other people's viewing options.

If I'm OK with that, what do you care?

BTW: I still buy CDs. That's right, I'm the guy who pays too much to get a bunch of songs that suck, just to get the one or two he likes. I have a whole big shelf unit of them. They sound great, are there when I want them and there's no DRM. That's worth it to me.

post #210 of 1689 Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Honestly, I think you're in the minority.

Most people I know cut the cord because they wanted to save money. Having to wait or watch through Hulu is a tradeoff they're willing to make. They aren't more patient: they just see it as a fair trade. Also, many of them primarily watch the broadcast networks so they can still watch most of the stuff the like immediately.

Very true. Good point.

EDIT:

Interesting article posted today at HuffPost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_877327.html

"A new report from The Diffusion Group showed that 32 percent of Netflix users plan to cut at least some part of their cable subscription, twice the percentage that indicated they'd do so just one year ago.

Many of these so-called "cord cutters" are doing so for reasons other than cost. Sixty-one percent of these users cited online video as the reason for the downgrade, with 66 percent of those users citing Netflix specifically. Only twenty-four percent said cost was the main reason for downgrading their service."

Quote:

Now, I can see where people might resent the cable model and not want to play. That's OK.

However, if nobody did, we'd have a heck of an entertainment problem when the who thing implodes on itself. Guys like me keep the entertainment financed so it can come out on DVD or to streaming services. This stuff won't be paid for on home video or the internet. I'm helping finance your viewing choice - which is ironically, the one aspect most people here hate about cable: financing other people's viewing options.

I'll admit, this issue has given me pause but I don't think I'll ever see a shortage in material to watch, even if the Internet, etc. turns pay TV on its head.

Quote:

It's not even up to you to understand it.

Quote:

what do you care?

I don't but in a discussion thread it's usually a good idea to discuss things and try to understand each other. Otherwise, what is the point? Everyone can just take their toys and go home if they want but you're here.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page