The Official "I dont have dish or cable" anymore thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How many of you are happy to get rid of your satellite dish or cable?

I just did it this past week.

I been on cable and dish for the past 25 years. Now I am so happy I dont have it anymore.

I was thinking if I paid $41 a month, thats $500 a year. In 2 yrs, that $ I save, I can get a new projector or 60" HDTV.

Do I miss it? Not really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Do I miss it? Not really. Anything you want is available for download on the internet or stream to your HDTV. I mean anything. I watch Britains Got Talent. Its just not your local market.

So can you watch, say, BOARDWALK EMPIRE?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I got rid of Directv years ago. My problem is my connection is less than 3G speed, so it takes me a while to view anything over the internet...not really a problem if you don't mind buying a few shows on blu-ray every now and then...still beats shelling out over $100/month.

thread closed
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What helps me alot is HD OTA.

Years ago, I get cable or dish because of the snow and ghost effect thats OTA.

With HD OTA now, its either you get a channel or you dont get a channel. And if you get a channel, its 100% clear.

I have actually never did pay attention to my rabbit ear antenna since those analog days until last week.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I been on cable and dish for the past 25 years. Now I am so happy I dont have it anymore.

Nice!

Cut off network 20 years ago. Sat/Cable 5 years ago
I enjoy premium sat shows whenever I desire. Blu-Ray is always around.

You might find yourself missing it from time to time, but give it a year and you'll really laugh when you visit friends and hear the 'Noise' coming from a tube. Just garbage washing over the ears after you get away for a while.

Good Luck
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I stopped cable 3 years ago, saving $2300 so far. We watch OTA or borrow library DVDs, which usually involves a wait, but it's free. My internet connection is too slow for online viewing. What I like best about OTA is that the TV is off when there's nothing to watch. The quiet is rather nice.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What about sports?

Argee
Old 04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dish subscriber since April 1997... lets see: we now get cooking and wrestling on Syfi; the Science channel now has a reality program; History is all reality all the time and no history; I am forced to pay for the highest priced cable/dish channel of them all, ESPN and I never watch sports; Spike has a habit of stretching CSI to over 1 hour and 20 minutes just to place additional advertising in the block; American Pickers is not only found on History but Lifetime as well; and then there are the snipe/pop-up ads telling me what I know I am already watching and the horrendous garish channel logos even on premium programming. Then to ad insult to injury, Dish Network charges me a rental fee of $17.00 a month for receivers I own outright. Screw it. Dish Network will soon be losing a long term customer and Netflix will be picking me up. I have been an idiot long enough and have finally noticed I am not getting what I have been paying for, month after month over the course of 15 years...
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

What about sports?

Almost all your home city sports is televised OTA free. Maybe not for the first round playoff, but those semi or final, yes its there.

Half of my home team baseball game is free OTA.

Unless you are sports fan fanatic, then you sure do need cable or dish.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

What about sports?

That's the deal killer for me.

I can see cutting the cable or dumping the dish if I wasn't into sports, but there is no other way to get the live sports content I want.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Almost all your home city sports is televised OTA free.

?

Maybe where you live. Not where I do. Try to avoid such broad generalizations, as they can be very wrong.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A number of references to illegal activity have been deleted. Further references will result in more severe moderator action, up to and including loss of the ability to participate at AVS.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

I couldn't cut it. Even with satellite, I still have to resort to Hulu because I have too many things taping a night
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I live in Atlanta. 1/3 of the game is on TBS. It use to be 162 games. Dont know what happen.

Falcons football? On good season, its a sell out and everyone of game is on TV. I remember Falcons play on MNF and it was a sell out and the local station pick it up.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in Atlanta. 1/3 of the game is on TBS. It use to be 162 games. Dont know what happen.

Falcons football? On good season, its a sell out and everyone of game is on TV. I remember Falcons play on MNF and it was a sell out and the local station pick it up.

hockey and basketball?

In LA, NYC, and Chicago, the largest DMAs, you need cable/satellite for RSNs, otherwise you'll miss pretty much every basketball/baseball/hockey game. Football is the only thing you're safe from unless you want to watch monday/thursday/saturday night games that your local team isn't playing in.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

That's because the NFL has agreements to allow local broadcasts of MNF games in the home team markets.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

hockey and basketball?

In LA, NYC, and Chicago, the largest DMAs, you need cable/satellite for RSNs, otherwise you'll miss pretty much every basketball/baseball/hockey game.

Along with most all (all?) other markets where pro teams are located.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

I got rid of Dish 3 months ago and don't miss it at all. I have 2 HTPCs and can record 5 OTA shows at any time, so I've got a lot of content stored and will have plenty to watch over the summer. I used some of the money I saved to subscribe to MLB TV to watch games I couldn't get before anyway. The only shows I watched on sat are all available online anyway and the PQ is actually pretty good surprisingly.

The main reason I had sat or cable was for college football, so I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get Comcast for 6 months during the season. Wish someone would come up with a sports only package at something resembling a reasonable price.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree. If you must watch every one of your team and all the team that you love, then you need to get something like this.

I too record alot of shows OTA onto my computer and watch when I have free time.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Along with most all (all?) other markets where pro teams are located.

well, my point was, if the 3 biggest markets are set up like that, its hard to imagine a smaller one isn't
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I have cut the cord twice...

- Several years ago. I had TiVo for OTA and it lasted a year. The Tour de France made me sign up with Dish (HD Absolute with DVR).

- Last Fall - When my Dish commitment was up I saw no reason to keep going on. I still have TiVo for DVRing (I'll give up all TV before DVRing). I viewed my Timers and found most of them were for OTA shows and the few satellite ones I had I pretty much never got to since I was streaming various Netflix shows above them.

I tend to miss the less popular sports like cycling, tennis grand slams, etc. But once you remind yourself you can always go back it never seems like I am missing out at the moment. ESPN360 offers a little fix... I watched an NBA playoff game the other night.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr View Post

In LA, NYC, and Chicago, the largest DMAs, you need cable/satellite for RSNs, otherwise you'll miss pretty much every basketball/baseball/hockey game.

Actually, they do show a decent amount of Pro baseball here in Chicago OTA, spread amongst three (HD) channels. Between the Sox and the Cubs, it's not unusual to be able to see games 4 times a week total.

(Although the way both are playing right now, it might be a bit of a stretch to call it "Professional" Baseball.)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Now that I think about it, I'm sad my bro no longer manages a blockbuster store lol--but he still has satellite and lives within a stone's throw, so if there are any sports I just have to see that aren't broadcasting locally...

thread closed
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some people are just super crazy about sports. Didnt you see the rowdy soccer fans overseas?

I was crazy about the Falcons last year and GB beat them and OK, what a let down so they all sux from now onwards.

I didnt watch the Hawks all season and today I found out they are in the playoff. What a suprise. I was able to watch them on a 2 hour delay. LOL
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Actually, like I said, they do show quite a lot of Pro baseball here in Chicago OTA, spread amongst three channels. Between the Sox and the Cubs, it's not unusual to be able to see them 4 times a week total.

Meanwhile there's teams like the Minnesota Twins who have a whole whopping total six games OTA this season. Last year in comparison Sunday games were always OTA along with whatever games Fox had on their Saturday afternoon lineups.

Other teams in Minnesota OTA going by 2010-2011 seasons:

Vikings = All games OTA.
Timberwolves = 12 games OTA.
Wild = 19 game OTA.
Gophers = Occasional basketball game otherwise no.
NSC Minnesota Stars (NASL Soccer) = Online only.
Saints = Apparently online only.
Swarm (La Cross) = Occasional game OTA.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've been free for about three months. With Netflix (which we also had when we had Satellite.) and OTA, we have enough to watch. When reruns start we may pay $5 more and get the 2 DVD plan, not sure yet.

As for sports, I've lost a lot of interest in them. I replaced some of that sitting around watching other people do stuff and picked up some hobby's of my own.

The exception is soccer which fortunately, has great streaming support.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking if I paid $41 a month, thats $500 a year. In 2 yrs, that $ I save, I can get a new projector or 60" HDTV.

Do I miss it? Not really.

If you were paying only $41 a month for pay TV you were lucky. Most pay TV prices are over $100 a month these days.

Back in November of 2008 I canceled my cable subscription when the bill hit $83 a month. It has been raised even more and if I didn't cancel I would be I would be paying $100 a month right now. I have saved $2,400 in cable fees since I cut the cord. It hurts when I think of all the money I paid for cable the last 3 years I had it. If I would have spent that money on DVDs I would have 3 bookcases full of DVDs instead of the one bookcase full I have now.

But I still have plenty to watch. I'm now watching more TV than ever since I cut the cord. And with my DVDs I'm watching what I want uncut, commercial free, and with a clutter free screen. Then I get to keep them. No more paying to watch repeats. Also I have 60 years of programming to choose from instead of just whats on TV.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What helps me alot is HD OTA.

Years ago, I get cable or dish because of the snow and ghost effect thats OTA.

With HD OTA now, its either you get a channel or you dont get a channel. And if you get a channel, its 100% clear.

I have actually never did pay attention to my rabbit ear antenna since those analog days until last week.

When I canceled cable I was hoping I would get a fairly good picture. After buying my antenna and HDTV Tuner set top box I was shocked at how good the High Definition channels were. They are even better than cable. Plus I get 15 channels OTA including all the major networks, 3 PBS stations, RTV (The Retro Television Network) and This TV.

I watch football in HD OTA all weekend during football season and if I need to see more I can watch it on ESPN3.com.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Almost all your home city sports is televised OTA free. Maybe not for the first round playoff, but those semi or final, yes its there.

Half of my home team baseball game is free OTA.

Unless you are sports fan fanatic, then you sure do need cable or dish.

No it is not. Our baseball and basketball teams have 95% of their games on the regional sports channel. Not sure of any market that has all the home town games (MLB NBA) on OTA outside of NFL games.

Argee
Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The other problem with cutting the cord is commercials, if you want to go the streaming route. With Tivos (or Windows Media Center) I can setup automatic recordings of anything I want, then skip all the commercials later. If you're streaming, you're stuck with whatever they want to force-feed you. And there's tons of current content not available for streaming right now.

But the big problem for me is that OTA is just too limited for this sports fan.