America's Got Talent 2011 Season 6 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 248 Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Singers are 5 for 5. Terry Fator sang every performance (through his various dummies).

Picky, picky, picky...

Yes, he sang every performance, but his main shtick was ventriloquism. I doubt that he would have won without that twist. Cas Haley was pretty good.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 248 Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Picky, picky, picky...

Yes, he sang every performance, but his main shtick was ventriloquism. I doubt that he would have won without that twist. Cas Haley was pretty good.
He probably would not have won, but he has a great voice. He sings a song or two without his friends in his Vegas Act (Netflix stream).
post #183 of 248 Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

He probably would not have won, but he has a great voice. He sings a song or two without his friends in his Vegas Act (Netflix stream).

Yes he does, I've got the BD in my collection. He sings very well. The story goes that he used to sing in his car while he was driving and it all started there.

Bobby 

post #184 of 248 Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Judges keep telling that "this is the year of the dance", I think TI or Sil will win..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #185 of 248 Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ugh, with the exception of the always great Illuminate and OK Silhouettes, some not so great stuff tonight:

A mediocre performance My Way as sung by Landau (song was too big for him, needs to be sung by someone 2x his age)

A terrible Queen medley by Poplife (so, so bad in all respects)

Technical difficulties (overlong video of past performances).

And to top it off, a vaguely racist performance by Terry Fator (was he always like this or is he just deciding to take a page out of the Jeff Dunham playbook?).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #186 of 248 Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
We caught this late, but tuned in JIT to see Poplyfe massacre Queen we are the champions. Wombed is responsible for giving the OK to do that song needs to get an axe. Poor poor song choice. We also got to see the Silhouettes IMO it was an OK performance but nothing great. My better half however loved it and said it made her smile. I told her if they win she's getting an IPAD to the side of her head
post #187 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Team iLuminate has it won; it just depends on how the others perform as to where they will finish. This is my best guess.

1. Team iLuminate
2. Landau
3. Silhouettes
4. Poplyfe

I saw no reason to change my picks.

If Poplyfe had performed earlier in the competition the way they did last night they wouldn’t have made it this far. Major screw-up.

I couldn’t have been happier that they had technical problems or I wouldn’t have seen Silhouettes. We had 2:30 minutes left on my DVR before catching up to live action when they went to the last commercial break, and that’s when my 622 decided to crash. By the time it reset itself they were using filler and I thought I had missed it. Tough day for E* with the 129 satellite crashing and then my DVR doing the same.

Landau’s popularity has picked up over the last couple of weeks so I expect it to be close, but Ti still wins, IMO. They will play well in Vegas.
post #188 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

And to top it off, a vaguely racist performance by Terry Fator (was he always like this or is he just deciding to take a page out of the Jeff Dunham playbook?).

Nothing new for Terry. The Vegas DVD of his has the same type of material. The thought of racism never entered my mind. I just didn't see it.
post #189 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 378
My thoughts:

Poplyfe: Doesn't stand a chance. Horrible performance and was completely off key, sounded horrendous.

Illuminate: Their worse performance of the show, nothing really good except some dancing, and once again a malfunction in one of the dancer's suit took away from the experience. I think they will win it, but this performance was nothing compared to the one they did with the "creature" and the video game homage. I almost wish they wouldn't win so someone like Landau that has nothing can win it, because i think illuminate will get a show no matter what happens. Someone in vegas is going to pick them up no matter what.

Landau: I thought it started really rough and didn't sound good, but he ended it big. He could win the whole thing and I kind of wish he would since he has nothing and may struggle as a singer in his genre.

Sillhoutes (sorry for the spelling); Wow, they got ripped. Not only do they not get to show their back piece to help with votes, but the show runs over so anyone that was recording it probably didn't see the end of the performace as it cut off. Totally lame for them. I don't think it was an awesome performance, it was hard to tell this time what they were forming and didn't look like the actual as much as it has in the past. But they are strong contenders and could also win it, but I think they have an up hill battle.

post #190 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I *did* make it to the show yesterday and it is a very different experience seeing it live. I'll write more when I return home on Thursday. After the show I went out and then to a bar to watch the west coast show, the picture wasn't great but I did see myself for 1.5 seconds or so
post #191 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was hoping Landau would have done "That's Life". I think he could have knocked it out of the park. Plus that song's a show-stopper.

You ever notice that acts like iLuminate and, especially, Silhouettes, need cameras placed right in front of them to look their best? Long shots (like from the rafters) ruin the illusion. The show has had some terrible technical direction lately.
post #192 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Holy hell it's not often you get to see a finalist destroy songs like Landau and PopLyfe did. While Landau was simply dreadful, PopLyfe should be imprisoned for what they did to Queen. And did no one associated with the band listen to the kid singing background and determine that HE CANT SING. And he was MICed louder than the girl, which made his off-key warblings even more apparent. I found Team Illuminate to be a bore, and unfortunately my DVR missed Silhouettes due to NBC's technical screwups.

I honestly thought the male voice I heard during Poplyfe's performance was one of the judges or Nick Cannon, who accidentally still had their mic turned on. It was that awful. Can no one win? Is that an option?
post #193 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Landau should win.

post #194 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Landau should win.

My money is on Landau also...

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub & 4K X10 Player
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #195 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Landau should win.

Absolutley.

I'm not sure what some of you heard. I thought Landau rocked "My Way."
post #196 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

Absolutley.

I'm not sure what some of you heard. I thought Landau rocked "My Way."

I'm no voice critic but he was extremely weak. Sounded pretty much like your garden variety karaoke singer IMO. PopLyfe? Yikes! I have not really been watching AGT with any regularity but tuned in last night to see who made the final four and all I can say is it was painful listening to the judges attempting to find good things to say about the acts. The faux fawning was so pathetic I almost couldn't believe it. I was actually a little surprised they had the balls to call out PL for their abortion...

ron
post #197 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

I'm no voice critic but he was extremely weak. Sounded pretty much like your garden variety karaoke singer IMO. PopLyfe? Yikes! I have not really been watching AGT with any regularity but tuned in last night to see who made the final four and all I can say is it was painful listening to the judges attempting to find good things to say about the acts. The faux fawning was so pathetic I almost couldn't believe it. I was actually a little surprised they had the balls to call out PL for their abortion...

ron

Exactly. There was no difference between Landau and thousands of other Rat Pack ripoff singers all around the country. Not a remarkable talent worthy of a Vegas show.
post #198 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am going with Illuminate to take it down.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #199 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been rooting for Landau and Team iLuminate from the first time they were on. That said, I am predicting that Landau will take it because he has history on his side. Only solo singers and a singer with dummies have won this show. Landau is a much better singer and better Vegas act than was Kevin Skinner. Kevin rode his poor man's story all the way to the bank, despite having a voice that was mediocre at best.

Landau and PopLyfe both took on big songs. One struck out and the other hit a homer. I think we are pretty much in agreement that PopLyfe was awful. The judges kept telling the girl how great her voice is, so she eventually believed she could take on Freddy Mercury. I am shocked that there is such a difference of opinion about Landau's performance! I closed my eyes and it was Frank Sinatra coming through the speakers.

Silhouettes was good. But, I could have guessed a thousand times without choosing Polar Bears for that one shadow or a Pagoda for the other. The bed looked real enough. Silhouettes have gone downhill since their first two performances.
post #200 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am predicting that Landau will take it because he has history on his side. Only solo singers and a singer with dummies have won this show. Landau is a much better singer and better Vegas act than was Kevin Skinner. Kevin rode his poor man's story all the way to the bank, despite having a voice that was mediocre at best.

And what a joke that was. The lady opera singer, Barbara, I can’t remember her last name, was far superior. However, I believe people underestimate the power of persuasion, and I believe the judges’ constant raving about Kevin influenced the viewing audience. I was, and still am, convinced the show was pushing for a Skinner win. Then again, it could have been the audience didn’t want to see another opera singer win. It could have been a little bit of both, but the best singer clearly didn’t win, IMO.

I don’t know if history has anything to do with it or whether the other acts haven’t measured up to the singing – Terry being the exception. I believe they haven’t measured up to the singing level until this season, which is why Ti is my favorite. Regardless, this season was way down compared to the finals from last year, which, IMO, ended up being the best so far even though it didn’t start out that way. I was hoping this season would turn out the same way. It didn’t. I still have a guilty pleasure for it.
post #201 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

....I don’t know if history has anything to do with it or whether the other acts haven’t measured up to the singing – Terry being the exception. I believe they haven’t measured up to the singing level until this season, which is why Ti is my favorite. Regardless, this season was way down compared to the finals from last year, which, IMO, ended up being the best so far even though it didn’t start out that way. I was hoping this season would turn out the same way. It didn’t. I still have a guilty pleasure for it.

Last year the final 4 consisted of:

Michael Grimm
Jackie Evancho
Fighting Gravity and
Prince Poppycock

I agree that the talent level was higher than this year.

Speaking of guilty pleasures, I do hope that the press release I read about Jackie Evancho singing "Nessun Dorma" from her latest album on tonight's show is still accurate. I didn't hear her name mentioned last night.
post #202 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:

Landau and PopLyfe both took on big songs. One struck out and the other hit a homer. I think we are pretty much in agreement that PopLyfe was awful. The judges kept telling the girl how great her voice is, so she eventually believed she could take on Freddy Mercury. I am shocked that there is such a difference of opinion about Landau's performance! I closed my eyes and it was Frank Sinatra coming through the speakers.

Silhouettes was good. But, I could have guessed a thousand times without choosing Polar Bears for that one shadow or a Pagoda for the other. The bed looked real enough. Silhouettes have gone downhill since their first two performances.

I've never really been a fan of that type of singing in general but I think you're doing Frankie a disservice with that comparison . Landau just doesn't sound like he has much range to the power in his voice at this point. Anything out of his wheelhouse sounds forced and loses much of it's tonality to my ears. Where did Silhouettes come from? I've only been casually checking in to the show here and there and last night was the first time I had even seen them...

ron
post #203 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Landau sings like a guy singing like another guy. And his stage mannerisms are those of a guy acting like another guy.
post #204 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

I've never really been a fan of that type of singing in general but I think you're doing Frankie a disservice with that comparison . Landau just doesn't sound like he has much range to the power in his voice at this point. Anything out of his wheelhouse sounds forced and loses much of it's tonality to my ears.
ron

Just listened to Frank Sinatra singing "My Way" on Napster. Landau will never out sing Sinatra, but I like Landau's version all the more. This song stretched Frank to the limits of his range and power. I like the fact that Landau "sang" the verse rather than copy Sinatra's version where he "talked" the verse. Landau is not Sinatra, but he is as good a copy as I have heard and he comes in a unique package.
post #205 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just listened to Frank Sinatra singing "My Way" on Napster. Landau did Frank proud.

Landau shall win and Skyehill will be the first in line in Vegas to see him live in concert..

Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
post #206 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Landau shall win and Skyehill will be the first in line in Vegas to see him live in concert..

Hahaha, no. Unless he's singing in a place with stripper poles and a prime rib buffet. Ron Swanson and I have a lot in common!
post #207 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Poplyfe was never that good. I don't know what the judges saw in them other than the fact that they were the only kid band. Anna Graceman should have been in the finals instead.
post #208 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Illuminate wasn't even in the last 2. Just goes to show- people are stupid.

You're right about Landau though- I've heard folks signing Sinatra at local karaoke bars who're better than he is. Meh. Of course he won.

I share sentiments with Skyehill- Unless there's a stripper-pole and free buffet involved I won't be seeing him any time soon.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #209 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

I told you guys Landau would win...haha...skye start buying your Vegas tickets...lol

Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
post #210 of 248 Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Illuminate wasn't even in the last 2. Just goes to show- people are stupid.

You're right about Landau though- I've heard folks signing Sinatra at local karaoke bars who're better than he is. Meh. Of course he won.

Amen!!!!!!! This just made AGT another generic Sining show just like the other 3984632932697 shows already on the air. For once I'd like to see an act that doesn't sing win. While I feel Landau was good he was not good enough to win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page