Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Some liked the Beatles
Some hated the Beatles

None of them were what you would call a great singer ..

I'll name a few more ... that might not even make the Karaoke circuit ..

Bob Dylan
Billy Corgan
Kurt Cobain
Scott Stapp
Jim Morrison
Cher
Lou Reed
Janis Joplin
Ozzy Osbourne

So, by some folks definition, they are talentless or mediocre at best ..

I really don't care much for the Beatles but they were way ahead of their time and very talented. All of the others you listed didn't become successful based on their singing ability. There's no comparison between people who make music and a singer who sings someone's else's songs. If you haven't noticed being successful in the music industry doesn't even require the ability to sing. Bob Dylan can't even sing so I guess if AGT gets somebody that sounds like him we have another winner.

Poplyfe has a ton more talent than Landau ever will. They screwed up on their vocals the last time out but I'll put my money on them individually or as a group as being more talented and becoming more successful than Landau.

Let's have Poplyfe sing "My Way" and Landau sing 'We Are The Champions" but he has to arrange and play his own instrument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 248 Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I really don't care much for the Beatles but they were way ahead of their time and very talented. All of the others you listed didn't become successful based on their singing ability. There's no comparison between people who make music and a singer who sings someone's else's songs. If you haven't noticed being successful in the music industry doesn't even require the ability to sing. Bob Dylan can't even sing so I guess if AGT gets somebody that sounds like him we have another winner.

Poplyfe has a ton more talent than Landau ever will. They screwed up on their vocals the last time out but I'll put my money on them individually or as a group as being more talented and becoming more successful than Landau.

Thanks for helping me make my exact point ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #243 of 248 Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Thanks for helping me make my exact point ..

You didn't make a point....that's exactly my point. You can't compare successful musicians, artists and/or bands with with a Karaoke singer.
post #244 of 248 Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You need to read my comments more thoroughly .. I'll help you since you need help ... and if you really want to, why not read the other posters comments that I replied to ..

mediocre dancing around in a suit that lights up on a dark stage .. if they truly have talent .. .. then they will do fine ..

Remember the group a season or two back that used electricity to create music .. ?? Dangerous, exciting, new, inventive, I'm sure mind blowing live .. all the ingredients of a great act .. not a winner, though ..

As I've said before, Sinatra was not a great singer .. but he had that rare quality that makes a performer ..

You see, it's talent that will get you there, it's charisma that keeps you there .. the ability to connect with an audience, whether it be live or on TV is the key ..

If we have any performers on the thread, I know you'll agree ..

The reason singers win is simple ..

Some liked the Beatles
Some hated the Beatles

None of them were what you would call a great singer ..

I'll name a few more ... that might not even make the Karaoke circuit ..

Bob Dylan
Billy Corgan
Kurt Cobain
Scott Stapp
Jim Morrison
Cher
Lou Reed
Janis Joplin
Ozzy Osbourne

So, by some folks definition, they are talentless or mediocre at best ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #245 of 248 Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I rest my case .. thank you for helping make my point ..

BTW, Robert Plant is an example of a great singer from that era .. Morrison, although a great poet, entertainer and an influential part of Rock history, is not considered to be a great singer by many (of course, not all) .. take a critical listen to "L.A. Woman" ..

Their last recording (with Morrison) for more than the obvious reasons. As AMG Guide says about his voice, "his voice sounds increasingly worn and craggy." A good recording to judge his vocal talent? Of course not.
post #246 of 248 Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Ok change the name of the show to "America's got singers trying to sing like other singers" rule out all other acts and be just singers applying.. why bother..

Or maybe just "America's got pity" period

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #247 of 248 Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. sang The Star-Spangled Banner to start the Duke/Michigan State game last night. The Star-Spangled Banner isn’t an easy song to sing, but I don’t think the judges would have passed him through. He sang at an octave that was too high for him so he didn’t make use of the voice we are used to. He also missed a few notes. Big disappointment.
post #248 of 248 Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21890044

I went to some of the audition rounds this year with Stern there .. I'll add some info on that if anyone is interested ...

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page