The X Factor on FOX HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Simon to Stereo Hogzz: "I don't think there is a band in the world as good as you."
One day later-
Simon: I'm voting for InTENsity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So basically the sing off involved the lead singer from each group singing live, but every backing vocal being pre-recorded. They dont even bother to put the mics up to their mouths half the time. What a crock of sh*t this show is.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

So basically the sing off involved the lead singer from each group singing live, but every backing vocal being pre-recorded. They dont even both to put the mics up to their mouths half the time. What a crock of sh*t this show is.

Agreed.

I'm gone. Gave it one week of "live" performances and I've had it already. More irritating than DWTS. Didn't think there could be worse than Brooke Burke, but Steve Jones is the winner.

"COME ON, LA... I NEED AN ANSWER RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And the hyper-screaming audience simply makes for the wrong show, at the wrong time... kind of reminds me of "greed is good" at a time of Occupy. This is simply terribly produced, and for me touches the wrong nerve. I am offended by everything about this show and don't care who "wins".

Series recording deleted.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Wow, just watched the opening group number and it was amazing. Amazingly hilarious. It was all completely lip-synched until Astro did some rapping, which was live, and he forgot his words and just started mumbling. It's like watching a train fall off a track.

In the UK the opening group number always appears to be lip-synched... Not a good look for a "live" "talent" show...

I don't recall judged performances in the UK show, having pre-recorded backing vocals though (of course I may be wrong)...

The previous UK series had a major PR-disaster/-coup when it was obvious some contestants in the auditions had been crudely auto tuned...
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 255
What an absolutely awful results show. Besides the nearly 20 minutes of nothing but recapping exactly what happened the day before, the opening number was horrible. The lip syncing was sooo bad that the older black singer started singing before he even opened his mouth, how lame. Then astro forgets his words in the only live part. Wow, how pathetic. Then the guest act even sucked.

Totally lame.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
But didn't everyone enjoy the tension-building 4 minute wait between the wooden Steve Jones saying ominously "the first group to go through is.......................................................... ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ .................." after the break. Please, give ME a break.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 697
I particularly enjoyed Paula spewing Pepsi the other night .. it seemed so spur of the moment ..

My vote is for "X-Factor" to be the worst singing show yet ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I particularly enjoyed Paula spewing Pepsi the other night .. it seemed so spur of the moment ..

My vote is for "X-Factor" to be the worst singing show yet ..

I think it was Entertainment Weekly that did a frame by frame of Paula spitting out the drink and it was purple. Paula likes da vino.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That results show was sooooo bad. Everything was so forced and contrived - everything about this show seems so disingenuous to me. The host is the worst of any that I have seen - short and abrupt, harsh, unlikeable. yikes.

I'll stick it out for the short time left in this season just to see the few singers I like, but I'll be doing a lot more skipping and fast-forwarding than I do for any other show.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From purely a dramatic standpoint, the producers failed big time last night. Should have made Paula decide who got sent home. Her vote should have come last.

In other news:
An X Factor contestant was caught lip syncing by viewers Thursday night.

Scandal? Well, maybe not

As part of a group number opening the show, contestant Leroy Bell's performance of David Guetta and Usher's song Without You was clearly not matching the audio track (Without Singing would have been a better title). This morning, Fox admitted that X Factor performance numbers that are not judged by Simon Cowell and Co. feature contestants singing over pre-recorded tracks. American Idol, it seems, does the same thing.

Fox released this statement: All survival songs are performed live, with just a backing track. For the group ensemble performance, the vocals are pre-recorded to allow acts to concentrate on preparing for their own live competitive performances this is also no different to what other competition shows do for ensemble performances.

Yet no mention of the fact that the groups last night all sang to backing vocals, with only the lead singer doing any actual singing.

Don't believe me? Check out around the 56 second mark. Notice anything odd about the background singers and where there mics are?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Astro,Rachel Crow and Josh"Burrito Man" were outstanding,I not a big fan of movie soundtrack nights.Steve the host is still very wooden and robotic,the need to hire Ryan Seacrest first sidekick Brian Dunkerman..

Pete The Guru says Chris Rene or Stacie Francis is going home tomorrow...

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've only seen Stacy, Marcus and Drew so far, but they've all sucked. And SURPRISE the judges thought they did great. So much for my belief that this show would provide quality judging in comparison to American Idol. If no one is going to bother judging, then I'd rather get a dose of crazy along with it from Steven Tyler.

I liked Drew a lot the past couple of weeks, but her rendition of Fix You (preceded by an incredibly stupid, "From one of my favorite movies of all time, You Me and Dupree" comment from Simon) was one of the absolute worst covers of this song that I've ever heard. Not a single thing about it worked. And for godsake stop pretending she doesn't have a last name.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Astro,Rachel Crow and Josh"Burrito Man" were outstanding,I not a big fan of movie soundtrack nights.Steve the host is still very wooden and robotic,the need to hire Ryan Seacrest first sidekick Brian Dunkerman..

Pete The Guru says Chris Rene or Stacie Francis is going home tomorrow...

AGREE! Steve gotta go. He is annoying to the point of shouting SHUT UP! at the TV.

I predict the Hoggz(or however many G's or Z's are in the spelling) are gone.

No way does this show EVER compete with Idol. Hell, they're yielding to DWTS

100% Digital household since 2001
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
everyone tonight was flat, except 'astro' 'rachel' & 'josh'. melanie would've been ok if she had felt better & picked a better song.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

AGREE! Steve gotta go. He is annoying to the point of shouting SHUT UP! at the TV.

I predict the Hoggz(or however many G's or Z's are in the spelling) are gone.

No way does this show EVER compete with Idol. Hell, they're yielding to DWTS

What does Idol do that is so good? By the way, DWTS has BEATEN Idol in total viewership before.

The fact is that the X Factor can EASILY be fixed. But whoever is to blame for its current state will have to open his eyes and realize that what they are doing now is NOT working. It's really not that hard-

1. Change out the host.
2. Get rid of Nicole.
3. Give honest assessment during judging. This is the one area that is really making the show unwatchable for me.
4. Live, live, live. No lip syncing, no backing tracks. This is the one area (besides host) that AI does better. It is really hard to believe that the producers don't understand how important this aspect of the show is. Sure there are going to be some trainwrecks along the way-but that is why people watch! Stop trying to protect these singers-you should be more worried about the show, not the after show music careers of the singers.

The last two changes can be enacted NOW.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Just when I thought it could not get any worse, I watched last nights show .. some of the song selections just were terrible, IMO .. I mean, they have 50 years of hits to choose ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Songs from the Movies? Really???

Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror was taken from a documentary. On Michael Jackson!!!

Most of the other "movie songs" were played for about 20 seconds in the background of some B movie.

They need to fix the judging next season. The only criticisms they ever give are directed to the other judges/mentors, unless it is directed at the singer by accident, like Paula's shot to Drew about her clothes.

I agree that Steve Jones has to go. It is clear that he is under strict orders to make sure the show doesn't run long, but he still doesn't know when to cut the comments short or when to let them talk if it is mildly interesting. When he does cut them off, it comes across as very brash and short. Really dislike this guy.

Anyways, about the singing... I like Drew-with-no-last-name, but she is getting boring as LA said. Josh can sing but is also quite predictable. Leroy actually looked comfortable for the first time on the big stage. I am astounded at how mature Rachel, Astro boy, and Drew are for their ages. I just wish Astro had a more mature sounding voice to match his talent. The Lakoda girls sure are pretty.

For me, Hoggz, Stacy, and Marcus can go any time, followed by Chris Rene. And Stacy should stick to a hairdo that doesn't accentuate her humongous, high forehead.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

And Stacy should stick to a hairdo that doesn't accentuate her humongous, high forehead.

My wife, god bless her snarky soul, asked during Stacy's performance if they were going to show the movie she was singing a song from on her forehead.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 255
X Factor' Sunshine Singer Rachel Crow Reveals Shockingly Dark Past

The sob stories of various "X Factor" contestants have been highlighted, almost to the point of exploitation, throughout this emotional season; struggling single mom Stacy Francis, recovering drug addict Chris Rene, and homeless hard-luck funkster Dexter Haygood all come to mind. But interestingly, when it comes to precocious tween sensation Rachel Crow, the saddest thing we've learned about her so far is she has to share a bathroom with five other family members. The "You're My Sunshine" singer is always all smiles on camera. However, it turns out that much of Rachel's own sob story has been oddly edited out of the show, as she's lived in much worse conditions than a mere one-bathroom house. She in fact once lived in a crack house.

According to an article in the New York Post (which a rep for "The X Factor" confirmed to Yahoo! is entirely true), America's new sweetheart incredibly endured horrific conditions in a crack den before being adopted as an infant. Thirteen-year-old Rachel's adoptive mother, Barbara, told the Post this week: "She was born a crack baby and actually lived in a crack house and suffered a lot of abuse." Thankfully, Rachel was taken in as a foster child when she was 6 months old by the Crows, who legally adopted her one year later and raised her to be the irrepressible bundle of sunshine we see on TV today.

"She is totally unaffected by [her past]," Barbara, a former hospital counselor, took told the Post. "She never looks at [her past] in a sad way. She looks at it as that is what made her the person she is."

Right now, Rachel's biological parents are totally unknown, and they likely have no idea that they sired a future superstar. "[Rachel] came to us through Social Services," Barbara explained to the Post. "In situations like that, it is a little more dangerous, so they keep everything sealed. It is not like entering into a typical private adoption. This is where parental rights were terminated, and the child suffered a lot of abuse."

While Barbara has said she "would just like 10 minutes" with Rachel's birth parents, Rachel has expressed no desire to meet them. "I have two amazing parents already," Rachel told the Post. "It is crazy because everybody is like, 'She is not your real mom.' And I am like, 'Yeah, she is!'"

When asked at her first "The X Factor" audition what she would do with the show's $5 million if she were to win, Rachel quipped that she'd spend it on a larger Crow family home. ("I'm a girl, I need my own bathroom!" she famously sassed.) But apparently she has other, more admirable intentions for the money as well. "I want to build a foundation that makes [foster kids] feel good about themselves...whether they want to sing or act or whether they want be in sports or go to Harvard," Rachel said in her Post interview. "I want to make sure they get to chase their dreams."

It's interesting that "X Factor" producers, who are often quick to capitalize on contestants' juicy sob stories, chose not to focus on Rachel's harrowing history, instead just painting her out to be a happy-go-lucky, untroubled child. But there's little doubt that now that Rachel has shared her shocking saga herself, it will only inspire viewers to love her more, as she chases her own dreams.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality...000624153.html

Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a nice story. I like her as a performer, but I agree with Paula that Simon isn't showcasing her talents well (I didnt see her performance from last night yet, but I heard it was quite good.).
Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
"For me, Hoggz, Stacy, and Marcus can go any time, followed by Chris Rene. And Stacy should stick to a hairdo that doesn't accentuate her humongous, high forehead."

A few ridges and she'd make a good Klingon.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

It's interesting that "X Factor" producers, who are often quick to capitalize on contestants' juicy sob stories, chose not to focus on Rachel's harrowing history, instead just painting her out to be a happy-go-lucky, untroubled child.

My guess is being so young they didn't want to put her through it. It could have come around to bite them. My (unpopular) takes...
  • I like Steve Jones. Not exactly entertaining but that's not his role.
  • For me the talent is beyond American Idol (past several years) and The Voice.
  • I like the format. Perfect blend of the other shows.
  • Good mix of mentors (they aren't judges). With their varied backgrounds each brings something different to the table. Such as Astro (and his Astronuts).
  • Mentors' fighting keeps them on their toes and honest. You can see the changes week to week based on them.
Pet peeves...
  • Who cares if you don't know the song! It has nothing to do with them singing it and I'd much rather hear something new.
  • If they have a certain style don't expect them to sing something totally different! Sort of like asking Diana Krall to sing rap. Who cares how good she is at it.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I find it over produced, over hyped and over padded - especially the continual replays of the "how I got here" segments before each singer. One of many reasons I could only stand this show by DVR and watching later to skip the padding and stupidity. Steve Jones is simply awful. The bickering judges seem to be fully ready to sacrifice a talented act in order to get 'one up' on a fellow judge they disagree with. And like many have said, the judging is far from realistic. I particularly found LA Reid's comments to Astro and Melanie interesting: he tells Melanie that she needs to show more versatility in her songs, while telling one-note-wonder Astro he transcends so many genres. Please - while I admit I am no fan of hip-hop or rap, I still think this kid has one thing he can do and singing isn't it. Imagine if they have a "country" night or "Beatles" night to try to find some of that versatility Reid mentions.

And really, introducing the judges to the Star Wars theme as they strut out? Who is this really about again? Oh yeah...I forgot.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's my problem with the format - a judge appears willing to kill off a great contestant just so his/her own can move on. I'm speaking more of Simon and LA, because Paula and Nicole appear to love everyone. And I may be wrong, but I think the only person giving honest criticism and praise is Paula. How weird is that? Nicole and Steve should get married and leave on a permanent honeymoon. They're both useless and bad at their jobs.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Those who were missing the old Paula-you just got a heavy dose tonight. Hilarious ending.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Those who were missing the old Paula-you just got a heavy dose tonight. Hilarious ending.

That was awesome. I CANT GO ON. I CANT DO IT...ok fine. B*tches I'm sending you home. That should make for an awkward rehearsal this week.

I did like Jesse J. She's always a fun performer and I love her eyes. Finally watched the other performances from the other night and Rachel Crow owned it. Very nice. And to echo you folks, Rachel, Josh and Astro were the best. Not sure what's up with Chris Rene, but its like he fell off the planet. He went into this thing being the most interesting, but now he's kinda just blahhhh. Maybe he should smoke a bowl on stage.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Steve Jones is a putz & he's not good @ arithmetic too. B4 Simon forced Paula's hand he still thought he would need a vote from Simon, when there were already 2 votes for the Rain girls.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Lots of skipping through this one. HORRIBLE!!! Borderline unwatchable.

100% Digital household since 2001
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
For a group the Stereo Hogzz had very little harmony in any of their songs. I am surprised Lakoda Rayne were at the bottom. I personally do not like their style of music, but of all the acts I thought they were one of the few to nail their style. Astro when you can hear him was pretty good.

The production was a bit strange on Wed. The sound mixes still have a weird echo, and there were lots of shots of backup singers/dancers for no apparent reason.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well at least Lakoda Rayne gives us eyecandy for one more week...I'am surprised Chris Rene did not leave,I found his performance was the weakest...

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub