post #361 of 940 Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Nope, I mean what I wrote .. the prevalence of this type of behavior is substantially more (as in so common it's getting to be the norm) than when I was his age in the late 1950's ..

So you did mean "in the past sixty years". Thanks.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 940 Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

And, at the risk of sounding like an old man .. (really no risk since I am) .. Astro is a prime example of todays parenting ..

I can go both ways with this. In my day (when I was a child) you did what the family did (dragged along). Versus the family revolving around the kids. Regarding Astro I have to give him a second chance. I can't imagine being on such a show and making it that far at his young age and not knowing you were destined to win. When I was roughly his age I ran track and set several records and my coach happened to be an Olympic caliber runner. I knew it was only a matter of time before I won my gold medal. Until the day it took less than 10 seconds to make it painfully clear it wasn't to be. Painful can't describe that moment and I'm sure his gold medal was much closer to reality in his mind than it was in mine.
post #363 of 940 Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

. I also enjoy the Rhianna song and she's gorgeous, but I got the impression she wasn't singing live. Dont care much, as she's still fun to just watch.

It was clearly lip-synced based on her holding the mic away from the mouth a few times when she should have been singing into it. I find that disappointing.

post #364 of 940 Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

It was clearly lip-synced based on her holding the mic away from the mouth a few times when she should have been singing into it. I find that disappointing.

Yeah pretty much any other time I've seen her perform it has actually been her singing but she was definitely not this time.
post #365 of 940 Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 259
She did an outstanding job last year on SNL.

post #366 of 940 Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Luckily since she is the hottest chick in the world it was still fun to watch.
post #367 of 940 Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The theme for the contestants this week is "Giving Thanks".

Kelly Clarkson and Bruno Mars will each perform a song on the X Factor results show airing on a special day-Wednesday November 23 at 8/7c PM.
post #368 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Giving thanks?

Astro; oughta be thankful they didn't give him the hook.

Melanie; should be thankful for the mistaken cut, and subsequent save from Simon, she the winner.

Marcus; he should be thankful he's the only contestant competing for his base.

Leroy; should be thankful for any group performance that goes off as planned.

Rachel; should be thankful for a whirlwind up-coming multi-faceted career in show business.

Drew; should be thankful she's still in it, despite terrible song choices,...if she gets the good song, she'd likely knock it out of the park(relax, be consumed by the lyrics and let loose).

Josh; may want to consider how thankful he'll be when X-Factor's over,..this is just the beginning for the big guy.

Chris Rene; really, really should be thankful for his "Hey, young homie" audition,..of which he's still riding on.

Finally, Simon should be thankful for a naive and forgiving public,...as this show is his equivalent to Geraldo's Al Capone's vault

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #369 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I'd give thanks for a new host (Jones is the worst I've seen), some new judges, less hypocrisy in talent critique...oh, never mind, the list would be too long.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #370 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I hope at some point Drew sings a song with some life.
post #371 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Why does she only go by one name again? Is she that good? That is really douchey. Probably Simon's bright idea. She bores me and her voice really annoys me.

To me Melanie is the only one worth listening to. I kind of enjoy Marcus too, I liked his song he sang to Rihanna.

And about Astro, why did we allow a rapper in a singing competition again? Makes no sense. And then Simon acting like he enjoys it every time. He has no clue if it's good or not. Simon likes Astro's flow? Come on. Even if a kid is a good rapper, I can't stand listening to a pre-pubecent person rap. It's like nails on a chalkboard.
post #372 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Drew name thing had to be all Simon. It's idiotic. The name itself isnt distinctive enough to not be followed by her last name. I'm guessing Simon thought people would have a hard time saying it and spelling it.
post #373 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My take is Simon found her unique enough to go by one name... I pretty much agree. I'm more a performing artist than singer kind of guy. Plus, Ryniewicz really doesn't add anything to her vibe.
post #374 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Andy Sipowicz never went by just Andy...

Bobby 

post #375 of 940 Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark Brandanowicz is the only Parks and Rec character to get booted after the first full season. Polacks get no love!

But Drew will never be a star with a single name. Especially when that name is Drew. She's not good enough or unique enough to pull that off.
post #376 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Josh is the best singer on the show and had the best performance last night. Good for him!

post #377 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What a snoozefest. Two are being eliminated, and that is what they sing? For 5 million dollars? Almost a nothing show this week. And here I thought maybe the show had turned the corner...
post #378 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, terrible week. Chris Rene is so desperate now that he sang the one song that people can actually remember him doing well this season. Is he going to sing that every week now? Rachel was off-key for her entire song. Not hyperbole. She was off for the entire song. I assumed her earpiece wasn't working and she was being thrown off by it.

Don't get me started on Astro. Worst apology(was it even an apology?) ever. Send him home.

I kinda felt bad for Melanie's mom when Melanie pointed out she's dedicating her song to God because everyone else in her life let her down. OUCH. Not sure how the "This is how I really talk" thing will go over with some people, but I liked her honesty.

Big surprise, Drew sang a song that had a little percussion. She also sang off-key for big portions of the song. She's become quite a bore. I did enjoy the lesbian vibe being given off by her and her "friend" though. I wish she/Simon would listen to LA Reid and do something her age. I did enjoy her outburst. This show produces so many trainwrecks.

And the obligatory: Steve was the worst I've seen him, and Nicole was as useless as ever.
post #379 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Josh is the best singer on the show and had the best performance last night. Good for him!

He's my favorite, right there with Melanie,..1.) and 1.)a

I think Josh was far and away the best this week. Melanie was real, real good,...but Josh destroyed everybody. The set was superbly understated too. While watching him, to me it's as if he's already a star. I'm curious about something,..Simon and Melanie's goings on about passion etc, then an appeal to save her makes me think she's been close to the bottom votes wise.

As much as I like Chris Rene's new found sobriety,...he's toward the bottom according to singing ability(right there w/Astro). I wouldn't be surprised if one (or both) went home tonight. I'm guessing they'll place the bottom 3 on stage, and allow the mentors to save the one they want.

Thanks

post #380 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbythenumbers View Post

Fox's special Tuesday two hour The X Factor tumbled 18% vs. last week's Wednesday episode to a 3.2 adults 18-49 rating.

I don't think Simon is "Giving Thanks" for this week.
post #381 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I loved the show... another winner. Perhaps a bit over the top with the thanks... but I thought it was a nice touch having everyone on stage at the end. Performance wise a nice mix with a lot of variety. Once again Drew proved she is more mature than a few of the mentors. She won't win but it's fun to watch her put them in their place.

Still heads above the other shows...
post #382 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

The one amazing item each week,...and being involved in and around all aspects of live performance productions for decades, I've seen a lot; that stage and set are truly extraordinary. Technically, it a marvel, however it wouldn't be squat without adequate lighting and art direction.

Off the chart,... bad-ass. Kudos to all involved,..good lookin' out.

I'm curious how the live sound is in the theater, as I noticed one contestant's Mom (perhaps Chris') had earplugs in. The sound at home still is a bit rough at times. I wonder how the mentor's mix quality is. I do recall Idol had two small front fill monitors on the table,...on each side of J-Lo. Josh's sound was good, and I felt there was an overall increase in audio quality this week, a welcome step in the right direction.

Thanks

edit; upon closer examination, the mentors have pair of JBL 12", 2-ways in front of them

post #383 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
To me it's clearly the Josh and Melanie contest to win/lose. The others are distant 3rds and beyond. Of course, I'm not the demographic that votes or that they are seeking.

I am slowly drifting away from liking Drew, though I thought LA Reid's constant harping on her one-note-wonder style is so hypocritical while he supports Astro as a versatile talent. Astro may well be very good at hip-hop (not a fan, wouldn't know), but if anyone is a one-note-wonder, it's Astro. And the attitude adjustment was not only necessary, but obviously coached and IMHO insincere. I think you saw the real Astro in his rant, not his apology (and yes, I get that he's a kid, but so are some others).

Nicole and Steve Jones continue to be horrible, especially the strutting Jones. I truly don't see how they chose him for this as he has no chemistry or presence whatever. The padding, annoying audience and over-production continue and the bickering between Simon and Reid at the expense of Drew was painful - though I think Simon had a good point. But, overall this is becoming like Nascar - the main reason to watch is to see a violent crash, live onstage.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #384 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

To me it's clearly the Josh and Melanie contest to win/lose. The others are distant 3rds and beyond. Of course, I'm not the demographic that votes or that they are seeking.

I am slowly drifting away from liking Drew, though I thought LA Reid's constant harping on her one-note-wonder style is so hypocritical while he supports Astro as a versatile talent. Astro may well be very good at hip-hop (not a fan, wouldn't know), but if anyone is a one-note-wonder, it's Astro. And the attitude adjustment was not only necessary, but obviously coached and IMHO insincere. I think you saw the real Astro in his rant, not his apology (and yes, I get that he's a kid, but so are some others).

Nicole and Steve Jones continue to be horrible, especially the strutting Jones. I truly don't see how they chose him for this as he has no chemistry or presence whatever. The padding, annoying audience and over-production continue and the bickering between Simon and Reid at the expense of Drew was painful - though I think Simon had a good point. But, overall this is becoming like Nascar - the main reason to watch is to see a violent crash, live onstage.

Totally agree. Go Josh and Melanie, by far the two best.
post #385 of 940 Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I don't think Simon is "Giving Thanks" for this week.

Those ratings are given out of context. It was a down night for pretty much every show, including the finale of DWTS which was down 23%.
post #386 of 940 Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I'm curious how the live sound is in the theater, as I noticed one contestant's Mom (perhaps Chris') had earplugs in.

Recently I've noticed on a couple of live music shows (mainly Swedish TV - but I've seen it in the UK as well) that children in the audience have been wearing funky ear defenders.
post #387 of 940 Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Recently I've noticed on a couple of live music shows (mainly Swedish TV - but I've seen it in the UK as well) that children in the audience have been wearing funky ear defenders.

Children's hearing is vastly more sensitive than adults..., thus they need protection. I'm glad the parents were looking out for their kids best interests. Live sound can be a bit much at times,..I'm as guilty as the next guy.

post #388 of 940 Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Children's hearing is vastly more sensitive than adults..., thus they need protection. I'm glad the parents were looking out for their kids best interests. Live sound can be a bit much at times,..I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Yep - that was my point I wonder if we have a future generation who will have poorer hearing as a result of MP3 players being played too loud ?
post #389 of 940 Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Wednesday's performance telecast will find the remaining finalists covering tunes from the Michael Jackson songbook.

Thursday's results-show telecast will feature another double elimination, along with British rap star Tinie Tempah performing his latest hit Pass Out.

I'm guessing the American fans of British rap are pretty damn excited about this.
post #390 of 940 Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Wednesday's performance telecast will find the remaining finalists covering tunes from the Michael Jackson songbook.

Thursday's results-show telecast will feature another double elimination, along with British rap star Tinie Tempah performing his latest hit Pass Out.

I'm guessing the American fans of British rap are pretty damn excited about this.

Terrible. Both nights.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page