The X Factor on FOX HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know I have said a lot of bad things about Steve Jones, but sticking the microphone in front of Nicole's face last night was absolutely priceless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I know I have said a lot of bad things about Steve Jones, but sticking the microphone in front of Nicole's face last night was absolutely priceless.

Yeah, that was awesome.
post #453 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Her reaction after they called her name was either Oscar-worthy or just sheer surprise.

No, that was genuine surprise,..and release of weeks of tension.

Quote:

This show really doest train-wreck better than any other. As for the show, Lenny lip-synched his songs. WTF? Mary J Blige, however, did not, and she sounded really good.

The show is absolutely amazingly bad,....watch it every week

Quote:

She's going home because Nicole is a pansy

Nicole wimped out,...hell, even Paula booted Drew....what a disastrous ending,...Rachel was devastated. Director/Producer GOLD. Made me question including these young kids,..painful to watch. But, she'll be fine. I still think her future is films/television,..she's got "it".

Quote:

, but it's also got a really nasty vibe to it.

yep, it does,... doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Josh and Melanie have the vocal talent but Chris will sell more records than either of them, wait and see (he's more mainstream, more marketable and has a more interesting story to tell).

Spot on,...we just discussed that last night. With producers, and some slick engineering, he'll put out a hugely successful release. Hell, you think Lil'Wayne can sing? He's an artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I used to like Nicole, but she's a judge in name only. I can't believe her pathetic cop-out last night. She should have been the sent home.

Yep, as I said above, she completely wimped out. I'm glad she was devastated, ...she deserved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Rachel Crow by far out sung Marcus last night only to have Nicole ruin it,what a shame..

Superb song, wasn't it? She must have been saving it,....killer stuff. And what for?

Quote:

So let met get this straight-it takes how many shows to find out that someone can sing? Rene can't sing (except for the easiest of songs), and there were easily 100 people (probably more) in this competition who could sing circles around him. He isn't even a very good rapper. But we all know this show isn't about determining "the best" and we also know that the voters will not let a woman win the competition.

Again, he's an artist. No, he can't sing that well,....there are countless successful rappers that can't sing very well. I'm a fan of his,..however I like Josh and Melanie's singing performances much better.

I'm not sure, but I think Chris very likely flubbed the lyrics last night. There were a few times in the song, where he ad-libbed in my opinion....however,..his song, his lyrics. Additionally, it was mediocre at best (I'm a fan), and the foursome up front loved it. Simon, choosing his words carefully, said something like;... stupid or brilliant,..then upon the crowd reaction, subsequently said brilliant. Now Chris using his own song, that was brilliant,....that's what everyone wants; "Hey Young Homie" pt2,...that's it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I feel the five million dollar contract being tangible (versus a title of unknown value) is causing a lot of the tension. The contestants see themselves set for life (rightfully or wrongfully) and the mentors feel obligated to support their own. The variety of entertainment (not just singing), production value, stage, and format makes the AI commercials looks like a junior high school project.

I think, if these final contestants play their cards right, they're set for life regardless of if they win or not.

Quote:

Killer wasn't it? Loved it

btw, lip synced or not, Kravitz is a bad-ass, and I enjoyed the soundfor once

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #454 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:

+1 ..

Rachel will be fine .. but she should not have gone home ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #455 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I wonder if LA Reid's comment that Rachel had Hollywood circling for her because of her talent/comedy, etc. had anything to do with her loosing America's vote.

post #456 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

No, that was genuine surprise,..and release of weeks of tension.

I thought it was almost humorous. She was scared stiff the entire time until she found out it was going to be decided by the public's vote. She even invited Nicole to vote against her. Once that was announced she was beaming... beyond positive she was safe... until boom! I think that made it all the more unbelievable in her mind. Did anyone catch the rest of... Mommy you promised..."
post #457 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, he's an artist. No, he can't sing that well,....there are countless successful rappers that can't sing very well. I'm a fan of his,..however I like Josh and Melanie's singing performances much better.

I'm not sure, but I think Chris very likely flubbed the lyrics last night. There were a few times in the song, where he ad-libbed in my opinion....however,..his song, his lyrics. Additionally, it was mediocre at best (I'm a fan), and the foursome up front loved it. Simon, choosing his words carefully, said something like;... stupid or brilliant,..then upon the crowd reaction, subsequently said brilliant. Now Chris using his own song, that was brilliant,....that's what everyone wants; "Hey Young Homie" pt2,...that's it..

This show has presented itself in such a way that it has been clear from the start that this was not a "singing" competition. So I have no problem with someone with the "X Factor" winning over someone who is technically a better singer. But letting a hip hop/rap guy into the competition and letting him skate by with mediocre performances has got to be alienating some viewers. Someone can sing his/her ass off, but how are they supposed to compete against that hip hop/rap guy who isn't held to the same standards? Sure, this is what those rabid teen voters want, but I'd bet that the vast majority of the viewing audience often has a different opinion. Next season the producers are going to have to make a choice-do they want to try to push acts that will increase the ratings, or do they want to try to find the act that has the most marketability for selling music?
post #458 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

The show is absolutely amazingly bad,....watch it every week

The only times I watch it are when you folks talk about how impossibly bad it was the previous night. Normally it just sits on my disk unwatched.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #459 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see this show as a caricature of Simon himself. It is stuck in the 90's in so many ways, and at it's heart it is mean spirited. The exorbitant focus on wealth and money, along with the casting decisions are all in line with Simon's view of the world. He always teased Seacrest that "anyone could do his job", and obviously put little effort into finding a host for X-Factor. He hired Nicole based on looks, and the fact that he could use her as a puppet. He hired Paula because it was easy, and he could control her too. The 80's R&B ballads, giant stage productions, and constant re-caps are just ridiculous in their lack of innovation.

Meanwhile, Scotty McCreery (the opposite of everything that Simon seems to want from X-Factor USA) has sold more than 650,000 albums, with a current rate around 42,000 weekly.
post #460 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I see this show as a caricature of Simon himself. It is stuck in the 90's in so many ways, and at it's heart it is mean spirited. The exorbitant focus on wealth and money, along with the casting decisions are all in line with Simon's view of the world. He always teased Seacrest that "anyone could do his job", and obviously put little effort into finding a host for X-Factor. He hired Nicole based on looks, and the fact that he could use her as a puppet. He hired Paula because it was easy, and he could control her too. The 80's R&B ballads, giant stage productions, and constant re-caps are just ridiculous in their lack of innovation.

Meanwhile, Scotty McCreery (the opposite of everything that Simon seems to want from X-Factor USA) has sold more than 650,000 albums, with a current rate around 42,000 weekly.

And all of his singles have bombed because apparently country radio stations won't play his music. His album received mediocre reviews. 650,000 sold? So he hasn't even passed Taylor Hicks yet? And wasn't Taylor Hicks's music career seen as a failure?
post #461 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally liked Steve last night. At the very end he places the mic in Nicoles face and says, "Nicole, would you like to say anything...Nicole?". And the crowd just BOOOOOOOS really loudly and she turns away from the mic and the crowd, and then Steve says into the mic, "Nope." Absolutely classic.
post #462 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

650,000 sold? So he hasn't even passed Taylor Hicks yet? And wasn't Taylor Hicks's music career seen as a failure?

I looked it up - Taylor Hicks's album sold 704,000 copies in the first 4 years of release (November 2006). So you are right, he hasn't passed him yet. But the market is also different now, people (especially kids) are not buying albums anymore. They purchase a single track off iTunes, or just download the whole thing for free from file-sharing sites.
post #463 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought it was almost humorous. She was scared stiff the entire time until she found out it was going to be decided by the public's vote. She even invited Nicole to vote against her. Once that was announced she was beaming... beyond positive she was safe... until boom! I think that made it all the more unbelievable in her mind. Did anyone catch the rest of... Mommy you promised..."

I thought she said Mommy you promised too, but my wife said otherwise. Upon playback, clearly she was right. Rachel, after her Mom reassures her,....and promises her everything will be alright, asks "you promise?"

post #464 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This show has presented itself in such a way that it has been clear from the start that this was not a "singing" competition. So I have no problem with someone with the "X Factor" winning over someone who is technically a better singer. But letting a hip hop/rap guy into the competition and letting him skate by with mediocre performances has got to be alienating some viewers. Someone can sing his/her ass off, but how are they supposed to compete against that hip hop/rap guy who isn't held to the same standards? Sure, this is what those rabid teen voters want, but I'd bet that the vast majority of the viewing audience often has a different opinion. Next season the producers are going to have to make a choice-do they want to try to push acts that will increase the ratings, or do they want to try to find the act that has the most marketability for selling music?

One must delineate between the voting public, and the viewing public,...as they're two entirely different entities.

post #465 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The only times I watch it are when you folks talk about how impossibly bad it was the previous night. Normally it just sits on my disk unwatched.

This week, we blew through both the performance episode, and the results episode, in about 45 minutes to an hour. No way we could watch it real-time.

post #466 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked it up - Taylor Hicks's album sold 704,000 copies in the first 4 years of release (November 2006). So you are right, he hasn't passed him yet. But the market is also different now, people (especially kids) are not buying albums anymore. They purchase a single track off iTunes, or just download the whole thing for free from file-sharing sites.

Country music is different. They actually still buy the physical album releases, and it's one of the reasons why we've seen artists try to crossover into country the last few years.

I'll be very surprised if someone from this season's X Factor doesn't emerge and far surpass McCreery's numbers.
post #467 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 211
Quote:

This week, we blew through both the performance episode, and the results episode, in about 45 minutes to an hour. No way we could watch it real-time.

Off topic but I have been using DVRs for over a decade and I refuse to skip anything but commercials (I always watch commercial delayed and skip them ). I find I don't enjoy the show nearly as much if I skip around... If I get the urge I simply delete the season pass.
post #468 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

If pointing out that AI had finally fallen from the ratings black hole it had been for many years is obnoxious, which is likely a concern for FOX, then so be it.

It wasn't you I was thinking of as obnoxious, TVOD. I have no opinion on whether you were or not. It was somebody who also made fun of contestants for minor physical shortcomings. Just a major jerk.
post #469 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've said many times that it's nothing more than the Simon Show .. and it's so transparent .. King Simon and his Minions ..

I'll be glad when The Voice cranks up again ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #470 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can anything of this type ever actually be a real singing competition .. ?? Have them sing in a large cube on stage, unseen by the mentors / judges / audience / viewers .. and vote based on singing merit alone ..

Susan Boyle was apparently the exception to the rule ..

Uncle Willie

post #471 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I finally liked Steve last night. At the very end he places the mic in Nicoles face and says, "Nicole, would you like to say anything...Nicole?". And the crowd just BOOOOOOOS really loudly and she turns away from the mic and the crowd, and then Steve says into the mic, "Nope." Absolutely classic.

That was great. The boos just rained down on her. I don't even know how L.A. Reid in good conscience voted to keep his own singer. Those last performances weren't even close. Marcus is just bad and Rachel "blew it out the box".
post #472 of 940 Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

So let met get this straight-it takes how many shows to find out that someone can sing? Rene can't sing (except for the easiest of songs), and there were easily 100 people (probably more) in this competition who could sing circles around him. He isn't even a very good rapper. But we all know this show isn't about determining "the best" and we also know that the voters will not let a woman win the competition.

Whether he's a good singer or rapper is obviously a matter of opinion. For me, his original raps were actually listenable and enjoyable, while 99% of rap is not - for me. His original song this week was fairly interesting musically, with nice chords - and his vocal was pretty and on pitch and had a nice jazz feel. If you're into big voice show stopper music, that wasn't for you. It's for people with an appreciation of sophisticated, soulful singing.
post #473 of 940 Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Off topic but I have been using DVRs for over a decade and I refuse to skip anything but commercials (I always watch commercial delayed and skip them ). I find I don't enjoy the show nearly as much if I skip around... If I get the urge I simply delete the season pass.

I can appreciate that.

We record everything,..even the local news. With kids in school, and many activities, practices etc., things stack up on the DVR. However, if an elimination/results based show(Survivor, X-Factor, etc.), whereby we may learn of the outcome via the news media (radio or TV), we try to prioritize and watch those ASAP. Due to the constraints of impending bedtime, we blew through them. If we had the luxury of time, we'd most likely not skip much. However, all the retrospectives, and filler material we chose to skip. Also, earlier in the show, there were contestants that we had no interest in, thus we'd skip some of their performance,...and listen to the judges take. When we watch the local news,..we'll record all 90 minutes. Then, upon playback, we'll blow through segments we've seen (recurring stories, weather, etc.), and only view new material to us. Even live sporting events, we'll allow to get a good bit ahead, and then time it to the point that we're almost caught up live by the end of the event. For NFL games, it keeps the intensity way up there, as the commercial breaks can be a huge distraction. Now, of course we enjoy the entire Superbowl. Viewing it, we actually start live, and end up quite behind because we replay our own instant replays, and commercials over again, etc.

Additionally, we too have been using DVR's since their inception. We record nearly everything we watch,....so much more efficient use of time. We use the buffer as well. At night, we tune to the local morning news that we may want to enjoy as we begin our day. Upon waking up, we back it all the way up, allowing a 30 minute buffer to enjoy traffic, news, weather, entirely commercial free. At different times throughout the day, if we're watching something and we completely catch up live,...we'll pause it and do something else, allowing the buffer to catch another 20-30 minutes,...then resume playback. No commercials, can't stand them,....why watch them?

Interesting, I'd not really thought that much about this until now,...it's actually quite interesting. Very efficient, commercials just ruin the overall milieu of the viewing experience.

I didn't intend for this to be a rant, it's just your statement made me examine our DVR practices... just sayin'

Thanks

post #474 of 940 Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought it was funny how nuts the judges went for Chris Rene's "original" song this week. Sounded almost exactly like his Young Homie song with different words.
post #475 of 940 Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I thought it was funny how nuts the judges went for Chris Rene's "original" song this week. Sounded almost exactly like his Young Homie song with different words.

very few "different" words...

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #476 of 940 Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

very few "different" words...

Yeah, as I stated in the above post, I still feel he flubbed the lyrics at different points through the song. Then, upon completing the song, and the crowd and judges go crazy,...my wife and I look at one another and say we couldn't fully comprehend what the lyrics meant.

But, a label financing his first release,...a good production team, and a solid engineering effort, he'd easily sell big numbers to the targeted demographic,....no problem. These individuals that do really well on Idol, and maybe now on X-Factor, ...have a built in audience clamoring for their work before it's even released. Sweet deal, isn't it. Typically, artists need to slowly build one's base. Hell, Daughtry got booted from Idol, hit the studio for their first release, and their album became the fastest-selling debut rock album in history! Yes, Chris Rene is no Daughtry, but he'll do fine regardless how this bogus competition shakes out.

On a different note, anyone surprised when Melanie exclaimed she doesn't listen, nor is she familiar with popular music? I, was very surprised. This changed my opinion, and outlook for her success, in my view. Also, stepping back and examining trending, one sees Josh and Melanie having plateaued, Marcus being Marcus,... and Chris, somehow, picking up huge potential. Still, I think Melanie is the best singer, it's Josh's to lose, Marcus going home next, and Chris Rene,...tefflon Chris, steamrolling along.

Strange isn't it? Each week, we think it may straighten out, and it gets more bizarre each time. Yep, bizarre...

post #477 of 940 Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
LA Reid continues to talk about integrity, but shows none. He clearly stated his preference for Rachel's 'save me' song and then adds - 'but, I have to have integrity for my own guy, so I'm sending Rachel home' (not an exact quote, but close). Nicole...well, she's Nicole. Clearly over her head (which is not an Olympic High Jump to begin with) and didn't want to have to make a choice. It's not even like an LA Reid move, since her own singer was already safe. I guess you could defend her slightly by saying that's how America voted, but, that's not how it's set up - America voted on the past performance, not on the save me song. So what good is the save me song if they all ignore it and just pick their own singer or refuse to make a decision at all? Ridiculous.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #478 of 940 Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

PLANTED STORY OF THE WEEK
(it appeared the day after Rachel's elimination and viewer accusations of child exploitation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMZ View Post

It ain't over for former "X-Factor" contestant Rachel Crow -- TMZ has learned, Disney bigwigs are clamoring to sign the 13-year-old after her elimination last night ... and have already set up a meet-and-greet.

A rep for Disney tells us, "Now that she has been eliminated off X-Factor, a general meeting is planned with her and Disney Channel executives soon."

We're told Disney honchos want to go through a laundry list of possible opportunities for Rachel during the meeting -- including TV, movies, and radio.

There is no date for the meeting -- but according to sources, it will likely be before the end of the month.

But then on Monday it was reported:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalspy.com View Post

Crow also addressed the rumors of a meeting with Disney.

"I personally haven't gotten any calls from Disney!" she said. "I don't know where that's coming from. It's actually pretty funny."

"I'm working on getting music out right now. I really want to get a song or two out there and then maybe go there, movies and TV or something."

post #479 of 940 Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Haven't all artists on X Factor signed their careers to Simon for the next several years? They can't negotiate with Disney or anybody directly.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #480 of 940 Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Haven't all artists on X Factor signed their careers to Simon for the next several years? They can't negotiate with Disney or anybody directly.

Just the winner.

To demonstrate the differences between America and the UK, a girl group won X Factor UK this past week.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page