post #541 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

LIke you, I continue to be offended by everything that makes this show what it is.

I HATE the Carmina Burana introduction of the judges.

I HATE the lead-in artsy recap clips at the start of each show.

I HATE the WWF announcing introducing everything.

I HATE the screaming arena crowd.

I HATE the introduction of each competitor by their sponsor before each song. Just ridiculous.

I HATE Steve Jones.

I HATE Nicole and her ridiculous hair and fake tears and crazy ghetto accent that comes out when she wants to sound cool.

I HATE that none except Melanie can actually sing.

I HATE all of the laser lights, background singers, background dancers, and ridiculous camera work.

I cannot believe Simon thought this was a terrific idea for a production style.

Took me exactly 15 minutes to FF through tonight's show, stopping briefly at each so-called performance. Avril Lavigne? Really? On stage for a "singing" competition? How that girl became successful is beyond me.

Chris Rene? WTF???

I'm hanging on by my finger nails to hopefully see Melanie win, only because she was truly the only one in the whole season who could truly hold a tune.

Just a joke.

Unbelievable.

+1 in every way. I especially loathe the constant use of Carmina Burana at every opportunity, not just with the judges. It's a classic piece, but even the classics can suffer from overuse or, in this case, ridiculously inappropriate use. It's difficult to choose the next worst between Nicole/Jones or the always shrieking audience or the horrific over-production. What a train wreck. Paula and Nicole always jumping up to dance together gets old as well - do they (and that shrieking hoard) think absolutely everything is superb? I agree with someone else and also watched the whole thing in about 15 minutes, bypassing the drivel - and that's a lot of drivel.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
My takes...
  • I enjoyed the duets. It was fun watching how they handled performing with a very famous artist.
  • It was obvious the mentors were told to play a little nicer towards each other.
  • The stage production guys should win an Emmy.
  • Since The X Factor isn't really about singing (rather performing) I hope Chris wins. Although my choice is long gone.
  • Outside of Michael making yet another appearance I don't think you could have asked for more. Certainly the audience and home town celebrations loved every minute.
In most cases I think those complaining about the show are over the hill (outside of a few other show fanboys)... I'm of that age but I certainly don't take it seriously and for what it is it does it very well. Not every show is meant for every viewer... I couldn't stand a minute of America's Got Talent but that doesn't make it bad and one post in its thread allowed me to move on.
post #543 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
+1 to terrible sound mixing! I want to hear the singers NOT the audience!
post #544 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My takes...
  • I enjoyed the duets. It was fun watching how they handled performing with a very famous artist.
  • It was obvious the mentors were told to play a little nicer towards each other.
  • The stage production guys should win an Emmy.
  • Since The X Factor isn't really about singing (rather performing) I hope Chris wins. Although my choice is long gone.
  • Outside of Michael making yet another appearance I don't think you could have asked for more. Certainly the audience and home town celebrations loved every minute.
In most cases I think those complaining about the show are over the hill (outside of a few other show fanboys)... I'm of that age but I certainly don't take it seriously and for what it is it does it very well. Not every show is meant for every viewer... I couldn't stand a minute of America's Got Talent but that doesn't make it bad and one post in its thread allowed me to move on.

I'll turn the creation of next year's show thread over to you.
post #545 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Here is an interesting post-show news round up from last nights show:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/112693.htm

Some highlights:
The Final 3 were not Required to Sing their Audition Songs. It happened kind of by accident, Cowell said. [It was] total free choice do whatever you want."
Simon's song choice for Melanie was going to be the Moody Blues' Nights in White Satin.

Looks like nobody on the judges panel is signed to a multi-year contract.

Duet partners Alanis Morissette, Avril Lavigne and R. Kelly weren't involved until very late in the planning stages and only confirmed about five days prior
post #546 of 940 Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Very surprised Melanie won. I wonder if the results would have been the same if the finals had two singers instead of three.
post #547 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Here's a very entertaining blog post review of the finale Part #2.

And it ends with an honest assessment:

Still, some burning questions remain: Will the cardboard cutout that passes for a host, Steve Jones, return to abruptly cut off the judges and inadvertently insult the losers again next season? Will Nicole Scherzinger be entrusted with mentoring another batch of competitors when she seems to think that she still is one? Will more people tune in? We'll find out next year.

I found myself actually enjoying TWO separate segments: (1) Bieber and Stevie Wonder's duet, in fact I watched and enjoyed all of Bieber's songs... astonishingly, and (2) Josh Krajcik's "Please Come Home For Christmas" but that's probably because it was the most familiar song of the night for me, and I love the Eagles' version, and Josh did it pretty ok.

Otherwise... WORST AUDIO ON TV!!!

I've now deleted the series recording from my DVR, so that I will not be automatically forced to sit through any of it next year because it appears on my recordings list.
post #548 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
At least they remain consistent - consistently bad and over-produced. I honestly can't see myself watching this for another season. Even with fast-forwarding through it, it just wasn't very entertaining. That constant shrieking overpowering everything, along with the Industrial-Light-And-Magic/Dancers production completely overwhelms the real performers most of the time. I also realize I am far outside the desired demographic but they really ought to rename it the Hip-Hop/Rap Factor. I had several audio drop outs (thankfully) during that huge rap production number - and wonder if that was censoring or just FIOS being Fios. And poor Steve Jones, supposedly knowing they are dumping him, having to say (several times) "and we'll be back next year" - uh, not you Steve. Rachel Crow actually did a better job in her short audition for host. She has an actual personality.

At least the top 2 were both worthy contenders and I could be happy with either one as winner. Personally, I don't get Chris Rene and how he made it to the top 3. His solo singing is just awful. I get that he's a "performer", but really, isn't it mostly about who would sell recordings? I wouldn't pay .02 to hear that weak voice sing anything. I'm happily deleting this from my series manager. Sorry Simon.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #549 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
And now the race is on. Who gets their album out first, Josh or Melanie? It really doesn't matter to me, I'll only be buying Josh's album/s. We already have enough divas out there.

Bobby 

post #550 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Here's a very entertaining blog post review of the finale Part #2.

And it ends with an honest assessment:

Still, some burning questions remain: Will the cardboard cutout that passes for a host, Steve Jones, return to abruptly cut off the judges and inadvertently insult the losers again next season? Will Nicole Scherzinger be entrusted with mentoring another batch of competitors when she seems to think that she still is one? Will more people tune in? We'll find out next year.

I found myself actually enjoying TWO separate segments: (1) Bieber and Stevie Wonder's duet, in fact I watched and enjoyed all of Bieber's songs... astonishingly, and (2) Josh Krajcik's "Please Come Home For Christmas" but that's probably because it was the most familiar song of the night for me, and I love the Eagles' version, and Josh did it pretty ok.

Otherwise... WORST AUDIO ON TV!!!

I've now deleted the series recording from my DVR, so that I will not be automatically forced to sit through any of it next year because it appears on my recordings list.

Yeah, over-micing the audience combined with terrible audio is a real killer. I enjoyed most of the Christmas music last night, but hearing Drew warbling with Bieber made me glad she got the boot as early as she did. She's a one-trick pony at best, and her trick was already perfected by Sarah McClachlan decades ago.
post #551 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I also realize I am far outside the desired demographic but they really ought to rename it the Hip-Hop/Rap Factor. I had several audio drop outs (thankfully) during that huge rap production number - and wonder if that was censoring or just FIOS being Fios.

Don't blame FIOS. Blame yet another idiotic rapper that seemingly forgot you can't swear, talk about shooting people, drinking and doing drugs on TV now, so what we're left with is a couple words followed by 5 seconds of nothing, then words, then nothing.
post #552 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Don't blame FIOS. Blame yet another idiotic rapper that seemingly forgot you can't swear, talk about shooting people, drinking and doing drugs on TV now, so what we're left with is a couple words followed by 5 seconds of nothing, then words, then nothing.

Why would they think they needed 50 Cent on the show anyway? His music sales have been on a major downward trajectory and he hasn't released an album since 2007. Oops, I just checked, and he actually put out an album in 2009, but it was barely noticed.
post #553 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Why would they think they needed 50 Cent on the show anyway? His music sales have been on a major downward trajectory and he hasn't released an album since 2007. Oops, I just checked, and he actually put out an album in 2009, but it was barely noticed.

Because he was cheap...

Bobby 

post #554 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Even with fast-forwarding through it, it just wasn't very entertaining.

I have yet to find a show I enjoy if I fast-forward through any of it. I'm not saying you would enjoy this show if you didn't... I simply think typically you lose a lot of the attachment in a show when you do this. I find the same if I try to sit through commercials which is why I have had DVRs for over a decade. It's the journey (good or bad) that makes the adventure.

My takes...
  • Finale Part 2 - was much better than Part 1.
  • How many superstars on the Finale shows are great singers? One?
  • Next year I'd like to see some actual mentoring (if it does in fact exist).
  • I think the five million dollar contract more than paid for itself. It builds tension (drama) far beyond the other shows. Heck, I'm sure worse case scenario Simon can afford the small pay cut to cover it.
  • Overall if the singing competition shows want to stay relevant they need to define and go after their niche. There are too many nowadays for them to be cookie-cutter. Which by design might lower their ratings but at the same time allow them to find and grow a loyal fans base large enough to keep them going.
post #555 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The saddest thing is that the censoring of 50 Cent's performance didn't make the show look any worse that it already did. It looked like another bad idea in a season of bad ideas.

I'm shocked that a show that appeared to be everything that I want American Idol to be could became simply unwatchable. The talent (not to mention the production values) during the auditions was incredible! The judges were actually judging instead of promoting. The system of mentors sounded like a great idea. I didn't understand why everyone was crazy about Chris Rene since he looked like a one trick pony who couldn't really sing but maybe I was wrong.

Then everything went completely wrong. The mentoring system became a bunch of judges pushing their favorites. The performances were dancers, blinding lights, backup singers, and the contestant singing somewhere in all of this. The rabid audience apparently had microphones pointed at them as if they were being paid to scream as if they were at a football game. I wanted to see and hear those great performers I saw during the auditions. Instead I saw a bunch of distracting junk around them and heard a lot of distracting noise.

If there were an award for worst host ever, I can't think of anyone more deserving than Steve Jones. If you had me hosting the show, I would have been just as bad as he was. I would be visibly uncomfortable every moment I was on the camera. I would make stupid mistakes. I would panic whenever something went wrong. Unlike Steve Jones, I would probably end up with a dangerous Valium addiction by the end of the season. At least he showed the job isn't as easy as it looks.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #556 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Because he was cheap...

Or possibly they had a real star who backed out once they saw how the show was going during the season. 50 Cent was probably available on short notice.

post #557 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

If there were an award for worst host ever, I can't think of anyone more deserving than Steve Jones. If you had me hosting the show, I would have been just as bad as he was. I would be visibly uncomfortable every moment I was on the camera. I would make stupid mistakes. I would panic whenever something went wrong. Unlike Steve Jones, I would probably end up with a dangerous Valium addiction by the end of the season. At least he showed the job isn't as easy as it looks.

I wonder if Bergeron is available? The smartest thing they could do would be to try to lure him away from DWTS, or even inquire about whether he could do BOTH shows, since they are on different nights. He would provide the kind of relaxed tone that would go a long way toward "Americanizing" it. Plus I don't know that anyone handles live tv better than Bergeron.
post #558 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if Bergeron is available?

Why not Regis? They both have powerful street cred. Perhaps not quite right for 18-34 ratings demographics.
post #559 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

I wonder if Bergeron is available? He would provide the kind of relaxed tone that would go a long way toward "Americanizing" it.

Not possible to have a relaxed tone on stage trying to present in the middle of an arena packed with what was well-described above as a "rabid audience".

You just have to scream to be heard, or so you think, even if you have a microphone in your hand.

It's simply a hopeless mess. The premise, as produced, is simply offensive.

Listen to us! And read the comments of reviewers and other fan groups. NOBODY WITH A MIND (or musical taste) LIKES IT!

The fact that Chris Rene made it to the finals speaks negatively either (a) to the process, or (b) about the other so-called talent we apparently were supposed to believe was so terrific when it was top-12. And yet, the opening top-12 group number was HORRIFIC AND EMBARRASSING!!

Just awful.
post #560 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if Bergeron is available? The smartest thing they could do would be to try to lure him away from DWTS, or even inquire about whether he could do BOTH shows, since they are on different nights. He would provide the kind of relaxed tone that would go a long way toward "Americanizing" it. Plus I don't know that anyone handles live tv better than Bergeron.

Kat Deeley is available. She'd class the whole joint up.

The problem I have with X Factor is that it's a mix of Idol and The Voice. But what it borrows from Idol it does worse than Idol, and what it borrows from The Voice (or what The Voice borrowed from X Factor) it also does worse. Hate Idol as much as we want, but at least it's pleasant. It feels fun. X Factor has the nastiest vibe of pretty much any performance show I've ever watched, and on top of that they don't bother to judge anyone either. So they're not judges, they're mentors like on The Voice, but the mentors on The Voice were infinitely more engaging and interesting (and believable) than anyone on X Factor.

Will be interesting to see how much of this trainwreck they fix before next season. It did the impossible, though - it made me look forward to Idol.
post #561 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It did the impossible, though - it made me look forward to Idol.

I'll look forward to turning the 2 hour AI shows into 15 minutes of viewing. The judges will have absolutely nothing to say, Seacrest never says anything worthwhile, the personal segments mean nothing to me, and that leaves about 15 minutes of actual singing.
post #562 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Because he was cheap...

and not keeping his agreement to retire if West outsold him. Audio was a mess almost as much as the judges egoing it out constantly! Melanie should have won...who cares about the `diva' line someone used. Kids these days don't listen to guys who can actually sing like Josh..sad but true!
post #563 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem I have with X Factor is that it's a mix of Idol and The Voice.

For me you have American Idol on one end and The X Factor at the other with the The Voice stuck in the middle. Sort of...
  • American Idol - for old folks and preteens.
  • The Voice - trying to be hip half-heartedly. Ended up more of a lame game show.
  • The X Factor - trying to be relevant. Mostly succeeded with a variety of talent styles.
Now I wouldn't watch any of them strictly as a singing competition. I want to be entertained. Since I didn't give a hoot who won The Voice I wasn't entertained. American Idol's format makes it appear to be endless reruns so I have little interest. Which leaves The X Factor as my last chance to be entertained... for the first season I thought they did fine.
post #564 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Say what you will about "The Voice", IMO the show has the best set of mentors / judges out there ..

And I think it is fairly hip ..

The actual emotion that the panel shows seems very real .. and I don't think they are trained actors, so the emotion must be real .. and all of them show it at various times in various ways ..

As opposed to others shows of this type that seem scripted .. or no real judging .. or overly commercial feeling .. or bland and repetitive comments from the panel .. or the same comments over and over ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #565 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Hate Idol as much as we want, but at least it's pleasant. It feels fun. X Factor has the nastiest vibe of pretty much any performance show I've ever watched,

Agree. The show had no 'likeability' factor for me at all.

I liked Josh because he didn’t allow himself to ‘get polished up’. No heavy makeup to hide his complexion, no fake haircut and no fancy duds. I admired his ‘staying real’ and I also liked his soulful sound.

I liked Melanie as well, (hometown girl). She has great pipes and seems to be a good person; from a good family but her hiding her real self (accent) rubbed me wrong. I was happy for her and thought she looked and sounded very polished. I wish her well.

Chris came off to me as a phony. They (his mentor or the show in general) polished him up and played the rehab card to nausea levels in an effort to mask his lack of vocal ability. His annoying, incessant gestures to the crowd, flaunting those gross tats made me leave the show until the next act’s turn to perform. His Christmas song was hideous.

Regards,

-Gary
post #566 of 940 Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary E View Post

His Christmas song was hideous.

Regards,
-Gary

It's funny, when I realized they were going to do a Christmas song, I looked at my daughter and said Chris is going to sing 'Have Yourself a Homey Little Christmas.' He didn't use homey but it was the same song I predicted....

Bobby 

post #567 of 940 Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Wow you guys are showing your dislike of hip hop in general, you are letting your prejudice get in the way. Chris (while not the best of the final three regarding vocal talent) is the real deal and has been doing his own music for years (he has a previous album). He lives music, his family is full of musicians and the guy is so far from phony it's not even funny (he simply played the game as the show required him to do). His grandfather wrote songs that were performed by Bobby Darin and Michael Jackson and his father was a very accomplished musician. Now granted Chris has his fair share of issues but that is no reason to deny his talent (even if you don't personally care for the genre). I would never buy an album by Melanie but I give her credit for her vocal ability and she deserved to win based upon her incredible voice. If untalented people like Justin Bieber and Little Wayne can make it so huge in the music industry then people like Chris Rene certainly deserve a shot and some respect. He has his own original sound, he writes his own lyrics, his own music, produces, he raps and he sings. His music is mostly positive and uplifting... there is most definitely a place for him and anyone that denies it simply must not care for the style of music, at least give the guy credit for being so passionate and dedicated to his craft. I'm sorry but it's sad to see such a talented guy get picked apart just because people are biased against rap, tat's, etc. I for one will not be a bit shocked to see Chris outsell both Melanie and Josh.

Oh and not that it really matters but I picked Josh to win it from the start, I was wrong obviously but again there is no denying the guys vocal talent even if I would never buy his music.

Regards,
Jason
post #568 of 940 Old 12-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
chris sucks in all ways. his 15 minutes have nearly elapsed.

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #569 of 940 Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Wow you guys are showing your dislike of hip hop in general, you are letting your prejudice get in the way.

I have hundreds of hip-hop and rap records from old school to gangsta to the dance stuff you hear on the radio. All these are better than anything Chris did.

Quote:

Chris (while not the best of the final three regarding vocal talent) is the real deal and has been doing his own music for years (he has a previous album). He lives music, his family is full of musicians and the guy is so far from phony it's not even funny (he simply played the game as the show required him to do).

In other words he's much like hundreds of mediocre musicians you'll never hear of.

Are you his agent? I don't care how "real" his "deal" is or how "far from phony" he is or who his family is. He has a very limited voice to match his very limited musical abilities. He demonstrated this week after week. This was a music competition, wasn't it?

post #570 of 940 Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Chris best performance was the 1st audition .. and the only reason he might actually sell songs is too many folks these days have little to any taste in actual music ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page