The X Factor on FOX HD - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with L.A. Reid coming back, but he was pretty damned awkward much of the time. Considering this was probably his first extended experience in front of the camera, he should be better on season 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I agree with L.A. Reid coming back, but he was pretty damned awkward much of the time. Considering this was probably his first extended experience in front of the camera, he should be better on season 2.

My problem with LA wasn't that he was awkward. Awkward can be endearing. A lot of the time he was just a flat-out a**hole. He contributed as much to the show being ugly as Simon did.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
For me his contribution to the show was his selections. They weren't of my liking but I thought they added a lot to the show. Regarding his mentoring I take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
But when he says of a contestant that just presented a brilliant rendition of Hallelujah that he brought no excitement to the stage simply says that he only cares about his people at anybody's cost. that turns me instantly off......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snEXZZiKIus

Bobby 

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I just read that Simon offered Beyonce $100 million a YEAR to be a judge. He said he thought she was well worth it. That is freaking insane. What a waste of money with so many people suffereing out there and she can get that kind of money for doing almost nothing but talking about useless people singing like crap. Wow.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Fox explains 'X Factor' shakeup, defends 'Idol' ratings

(EW.com) -- The changes to Fox's singing competition shows have only just begun.

After weeks of dramatic headlines about "Idol's" slipping ratings and "Factor's" talent departures, Fox's president of alternative entertainment Mike Darnell spoke to EW about the challenges faced by "American Idol" and "The X Factor" -- and his strategy for remaining on top.

Given their large number of hours and consistent ability to win time periods, one could argue that "Idol" and "Factor" are the No. 1 network's most important shows. So what does it mean when the bulk of the "Factor" cast abruptly gets pink-slipped and "Idol" has CBS' "Big Bang Theory" nipping at its heels on Thursday nights?

With "Factor", the sudden exodus of host Steve Jones, judge Nicole ‪Scherzinger‬ and executive producer Simon Cowell's longtime TV-spouse Paula Abdul may have stunned observers (L.A. Reid will return). Yet the move was somewhat less surprising to followers of the UK version, which sheds judges every few seasons. In a genre where tough-love auditions are the heart of the format, Darnell described being a star on "Factor's" debut as not entirely dissimilar to being a contestant.

"Season one was basically an audition act," said Darnell late last week. "Simon got one big new star out of it -- L.A. Reid, and that was great casting. There's going to be a natural reassessment."

Simon Cowell cleans house on 'X Factor' Viewers largely accepted the departure of Jones and ‪Scherzinger, yet the loss of Abdul raised concern. She may not have been the strongest contributor to the show, the reasoning went, but she didn't seem to be an overt problem either. "Paula was an interesting call," Darnell said. "She and Simon are great friends, so it was just a dynamic conversation about what's the nature of the group going to be. And I think we decided to pull the Band-Aid off as quickly as possible."

Fox hopes to fill the spots over the next several months. It's reasonable to expect the network will pursue big music stars, with the caveat that prospective judges also should also have workable chemistry with Cowell. The bottom line is that Fox wants to take a show that was already typically winning its night and find every way possible to improve it -- including brainstorming creative changes apart from the on-air talent.

"There definitely will be lots of different changes in the show," Darnell said.

That said, Darnell dismissed one TV critic complaint that the show seemed "inauthentic."

"That's the kind of stuff that pundits talk about that doesn't mean anything to the audience," he said. "It was a very consistent audience for that show. The audience that stuck with the show loved it."

Over on "Idol," Darnell faces the trickier challenge of keeping an 11-year-old hit feeling fresh and compelling without altering its popular fundamentals.

Asked why "Idol's" ratings have softened, Darnell agreed with TV analysts who point to the flood of singing competition shows. Idol used to be an annual event. Now there's wide-eyed young singers, brutal judges and suspenseful eliminations on TV all year around. The other programs include Fox's own "Factor," of course (when Cowell decided to launch a U.S. version of his UK hit, Fox had little choice but to get on board, lest risk losing him to a rival network).

"There's no question there's a glut of [singing competition shows that are] affecting the numbers for Idol," Darnell said. "It's the granddaddy, it's run is unprecedented. I think that considering all the other shows and its age, it's doing quite well. Having both shows on our air has put us in an incredibly strong position as a network."

"Idol" is still a No. 1 for the season and averages about 20 million viewers a week. While "Big Bang" and ABC's "Modern Family" are closing the gap, "Idol" generates more than 50 hours per season compared to roughly 11 for half-hour comedies (no drama series come close to Idol's numbers).

Like with the recent "Factor" headlines, Fox has weathered plenty of second-guessing media coverage over the past several years of "Idol" panel changes. Some pundits predicted Cowell exiting the show two years ago would be a fatal blow, especially since the ratings were already declining. Yet when looking at the ratings, "Idol" changes over the years seemed to help offset audience erosion.

"Idol" typically only dropped about 10-12 percent each season despite its age, often returned better than most industry observers expected. After last year's well-received addition of judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez, making further alterations would have appeared foolish -- why fix a show that wasn't broken? But with the new season's ratings down more than 20 percent, it raises the question: Is "Idol" at a point where it now requires major changes each season to keep fans' interest?

Though making a judgement on next year's "Idol" panel is months away, Darnell noted viewers can expect to see some twists this season.

"There's always freshening up," he said. "We've done rule changes, we've eliminated the middle rounds, we put in the judges' 'save.' And there will be some changes coming to the show this year that no one knows about yet, [though] they're more modest than last year. What you try to do generally is if you have a year of big changes, you try to let those settle for at least another year. Change can help, or it can kill you if it's the wrong change. You never want to change the core of the show, no matter what the competition is doing, because that's what people come back for."

One frequent point of viewer debate is the number of good auditions vs. humorously bad auditions. As with every aspect of his shows, Darnell has given the matter plenty of thought and experimented with different possibilities.

"We used to have more bad than good," he said. "Over the last three years we've gone the opposite direction. I think it's a balancing act. One of the things that separate 'Idol' from the other shows is that we have the fun and funny auditions, that's why those [opening weeks] numbers are usually big. If you go too far in one direction or the other, that's a mistake. And you have to be careful about which bad auditions are shown. The William Hungs of the world work, but people dressed as bananas don't. They have to be sincere auditions."

And if the unthinkable happens. If "Idol," after eight seasons as TV's top-rated entertainment program, should slip ... Darnell predicted the network -- and the show -- will survive just fine.

"It would be nice to reign forever as No. 1," Darnell said. "But if 'Idol' ever becomes a second- or third-place show, it still has a much bigger impact and value than most other shows because it accounts for so many more hours. Obviously all shows come down, but to still be at this level is amazing, and we're really grateful for that."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/07/showbi...tml?hpt=hp_bn4

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cowell knew that the firings were coming "at the beginning of the year -- and we were told it had to happen straight away,” Cowell told Terri Seymour in an interview with Extra airing Wednesday.

Cowell added that he would have liked to keep Abdul, who he also worked with as a judge on American Idol. "She was very gracious and I said that to her. She understands it's business; it's never personal,” he said.

It sounds like Cowell is far from the only person making the decisions.
Quote:

As for who else will be joining him at the judges’ table next season, Cowell was quick to shoot down rumors of Beyonce. “The budget for the show is $100 million. That would never ever happen. It’s absolute nonsense. No one is going to pay $100 million for someone. I genuinely haven’t had a conversation with her about it. Not at all,” he said.

So much for that rumor.
Quote:

Cowell also added that while he would love Mariah Carey to join the show, she’s not on the list of candidates. " You have to work five days a week and all the travelling, so she will not be on the list,” he said. “I adore her, love her, but you can’t expect someone who has just had two kids, has a record career to make the kind of commitment we would need on this show.”

Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't be surprised if he got Rihanna. As for Paula, I'd prefer she stayed and LA left. He was part of the problem. But then again so was Paula if she was saying no to girls just because they were hot.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if he got Rihanna. As for Paula, I'd prefer she stayed and LA left. He was part of the problem. But then again so was Paula if she was saying no to girls just because they were hot.

Did Rihanna have anything to say when she was on last time? She didn't make much of an impression on me, and didn't seem like the type who would have much to say or help the chemistry. I also doubt they want to go with someone that young as a "mentor." She is only 24, after all.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not sure if anyone watches it, but Astro had a significant guest starring role on last night's episode of Person of Interest. He won't be winning any Emmys for it, but he wasn't too terrible.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

He won't be winning any Emmys for it, but he wasn't too terrible.

Yeah. He pretty much played himself.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Really crazy if the latest rumor/news about Whitney Houston is true. Even forgetting about the reliability issue-is Whitney Houston even likable?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whitney Houston is seriously an option? It's like they're going out of their way to fail.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah and they don't need to go out of their way, just stay the course. No redeeming qualities doth this show have.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Why didn't Whitney Houston tour the US as part of her big "world tour?" It strikes me as a Michael Jackson type situation where she is a lot bigger in the rest of the world than in her native country. Her last album, while going platinum in this country, basically bombed despite a huge amount of promotion, as did the singles. The reality show she did with Bobby Brown was "undoubtedly the most disgusting and execrable series ever to ooze its way onto television."

Didn't Houston also do a lot of commercials for Pepsi, who also happens to be a big sponsor of X Factor?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, that ends any speculation over Whitney joining. She died much too young. My guess is drugs, which is just sad.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, that ends any speculation over Whitney joining. She died much too young. My guess is drugs, which is just sad.

Looks like it was a VERY similar to Michael Jackson's end. Pierce Morgan is interviewing Simon Cowell right now. I don't know if Cowell has been asked about the X Factor mentor rumor, as I tuned in part way through.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Cowell did partially confirm the Whitney Houston rumor, though he implies that it was initiated by Houston, and that no formal invitation to join the show had been made. Presumably that offer would not have been made, assuming any of them bothered to read the Enquirer.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

They are clearly just looking for a seat-warmer if the rumor about Janet Jackson is true. Ignoring the fact that she isn't much of a singer, she is also someone who has displayed disdain for openly talking in public. She would be a bad judge and an even worse mentor. She makes Mariah Carey look like a brilliant choice in comparison.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are clearly just looking for a seat-warmer if the rumor about Janet Jackson is true. Ignoring the fact that she isn't much of a singer, she is also someone who has displayed disdain for openly talking in public. She would be a bad judge and an even worse mentor. She makes Mariah Carey look like a brilliant choice in comparison.

She's soft-spoken, a bad singer and lacks personality. Simon's truly an idiot if this is who he thinks will attract people to his broken show. Fix the important parts first (the actual show itself) and then bring in relevant, current talent.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:

Why didn't Whitney Houston tour the US as part of her big "world tour?" It strikes me as a Michael Jackson type situation where she is a lot bigger in the rest of the world than in her native country. Her last album, while going platinum in this country, basically bombed despite a huge amount of promotion, as did the singles. The reality show she did with Bobby Brown was "undoubtedly the most disgusting and execrable series ever to ooze its way onto television."

Didn't Houston also do a lot of commercials for Pepsi, who also happens to be a big sponsor of X Factor?

I don't know about the sales of her last album, but musically, it was quite good ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:

She's soft-spoken, a bad singer and lacks personality. Simon's truly an idiot if this is who he thinks will attract people to his broken show. Fix the important parts first (the actual show itself) and then bring in relevant, current talent.

Out of all the talent out there, this is as good as they can come up with .. ?? Why not just let the show crash and burn ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Simon's truly an idiot if this is who he thinks will attract people to his broken show.

Quite the idiot with only 90 million dollars of income last year and worth roughly one-third of a billion. Those that can do and those that can't...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Quite the idiot with only 90 million dollars of income last year and worth roughly one-third of a billion. Those that can do and those that can't...

His job is to do exactly what he said he was going to do - bring 20 million viewers to Fox. He failed, and this is his idea of fixing it? He's completely out of touch with reality. The Voice is a huge hit and has all the buzz that Simon wishes X Factor had gotten because its judges are actually relevant. Simon's way of thinking is that what makes a great show is over-production, an audience that's louder than the artists, and a lot of stupid in-fighting between the judges at the expense of the "talent".
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He failed, and this is his idea of fixing it?

I don't see one-third of a billionaire as failing.

Quote:

He's completely out of touch with reality.

If he wasn't imagine how much more than 90 million he would have made last year. Not knowing one thing about the actual going ons and saying someone who is pulling down 90 million a year doing exactly what you are complaining about is beyond silly. When you have duplicated 1/333 of his success get back to us. Until then it should be Mr Cowell.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

His job is to do exactly what he said he was going to do - bring 20 million viewers to Fox. He failed, and this is his idea of fixing it? He's completely out of touch with reality.

The entertainment industry has a long history of mega-successful geniuses who could do no wrong, then suddenly could do no right once they started believing in their own infallibility. The smarter ones tend to retire early.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The smarter ones tend to retire early.

In his case it sounds smart to pass up 90 million this year. Oh so smart.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Part of the problem is that the ratings were a disappointment from the very first episode. This, along with the first J-Lo/Stephen Tyler season, probably inspired the thought that they need MORE STARPOWER to attract people to the show initially. Actually making the show better isn't what American Idol did, but people were curious about the new judges in that case. The thing is, the people with X Factor might want to take a look at the latest ratings for AI (last night's show had the worst ratings since the first season) and realize that starpower is fleeting when it comes to ratings.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

the rumor about Janet Jackson

Ha ha! Simon is so stuck in the 80's and 90's.

They have 2 grumpy old men on the panel now, and need to add some attractive young life to it if he wants to raise the 18-49 viewers. He should accept the success that Blake Shelton has had on Voice and reach out to one of the many hot female country stars. But, we all know that Simon hates country music.

In before Arsenio Hall is announced to take over for Steve Jones.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The entertainment industry has a long history of mega-successful geniuses who could do no wrong, then suddenly could do no right once they started believing in their own infallibility. The smarter ones tend to retire early.

Not only did he blow up the X Factor US. His decisions obliterated the X Factor UK.