The X Factor on FOX HD - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well, with these host/mentors and The Voice moving to the fall, it looks like we will be passing on the X-Factor. We just can't watch 6 hours a week of this stuff, so we will go with The Voice. I'll visit here, though, to get updates! Good luck to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

It's official, Simon has found the bottom of the barrel. Brit and Demi are the new judges. No word on host yet.

Waitasecond. I keep seeing the word "judges" rather than "mentors." Does that mean they are abandoning the mentor/team aspect? Certainly these choices are more feasible if that is the case. It doesn't mean I like them though.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Judge/mentor. They mentor their artists and judge the others. I pity anyone that has to be mentored by these two.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Judge/mentor. They mentor their artists and judge the others. I pity anyone that has to be mentored by these two.

I don't think they'll be mentoring anyone. Lavoto has barely had any success. No one will listen to her. Spears? Ha. At least she has been around a while.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I am really leaning toward just sticking with "The Voice" from here on .. the choice of Lovato and Spears, although I may be wrong, is just ridiculous ..

Simon and L.A. will roll over these two like a couple bulldozers .. and maybe that's what Simon wants, I don't know .. why not just put a couple cardboard cutouts in the chairs .. ??

To me, it's a ratings grab .. and yes, I know that's what it is with any show these days ..

However, any shred of a legit competion from this point on seems to have flown out the window ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I find it silly to actually believe any mentoring goes on with any of these shows. Outside a rare occasion it's virtually non-existant. Heck even most of the off the cuff advice thrown their way is often discarded. And in a lot of the cases the mentor eventually states the contestant was dead right...

Regarding this young gal (never heard of her) I'm sure a lot of the contestants will be able to relate to her much like the young demographics I'm sure they are going after.

Also, I strongly believe you learn from everyone around you. Not in an obvious mentoring way rather by being exposed to life's aspects. As such you don't need a life coach with fifty years of experience to teach you to how to tie your shoes. Rather you need to be exposed to what life has to offer... the good and bad. Only then you'll have a chance to define your own path. It's not like these bad souls are going to kidnap young kids and lock them in their basement until they perform as instructed.

My guess is the complete mentoring experience is looked back as... I once meet x.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am skipping The Voice, I tired of it towards the end, might revisit in the spring..

These Judges choices are horrendous though for this show.. I might bail duringt he season, although I like Simon, he has not done a good job here...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

These Judges choices are horrendous though for this show.. I might bail duringt he season, although I like Simon, he has not done a good job here...

You do realize the mere fact you are on AVS proves you aren't their target market?.. and as such are in no position to judge.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In case you're wondering how they arrived at Demi and Britney: everyone else said no...or died.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I find it silly to actually believe any mentoring goes on with any of these shows. Outside a rare occasion it's virtually non-existant. Heck even most of the off the cuff advice thrown their way is often discarded. And in a lot of the cases the mentor eventually states the contestant was dead right...

Also, I strongly believe you learn from everyone around you. Not in an obvious mentoring way rather by being exposed to life's aspects. As such you don't need a life coach with fifty years of experience to teach you to how to tie your shoes. Rather you need to be exposed to what life has to offer... the good and bad. Only then you'll have a chance to define your own path. It's not like these bad souls are going to kidnap young kids and lock them in their basement until they perform as instructed.

My guess is the complete mentoring experience is looked back as... I once meet x.

I still think the Voice panel does actually mentor ..

And, on mentoring in general, as one who has mentored, I can say without a doubt in my mind it is worthwhile, for the mentor as well as the mentoree ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Of course the The Voice judges mentor. And the fate of the singers is often tied to how well they perform on stage with their mentor. There's nothing remotely close to that on X Factor since no one on the panel can really sing.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In case you're wondering how they arrived at Demi and Britney: everyone else said no...or died.

Who said no? Because if they were offering 15 million for that slot that Britney took, there are really only a couple who could afford to turn that down.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Who said no? Because if they were offering 15 million for that slot that Britney took, there are really only a couple who could afford to turn that down.

Mariah first, Janet Jackson, Whitney, Rihanna. You don't hit Demi Lovato's name until you hit the very bottom.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mariah first, Janet Jackson, Whitney, Rihanna. You don't hit Demi Lovato's name until you hit the very bottom.

They would only fill one spot... casting wise you wouldn't want more than one. Those are way too over the hill. So much so even I think so. I figure since I have never heard of Lovato she must be a great pick up.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They would only fill one spot... casting wise you wouldn't want more than one. Those are way too over the hill. So much so even I think so. I figure since I have never heard of Lovato she must be a great pick up.

If you're a fan of Disney girls that can't sing who also enjoy cutting themselves, she's your girl. But the show in the UK had Sharon Osbourne at one point, so obviously mentors dont matter as much as the format itself, which if it doesnt get a major overhaul is going to spell the end for the show. Tone down the yelling, tone down the idiotic judgements of other judges, get rid of the lipsynching, and maybe it can be saved. The format otherwise is solid mish-mash of Idol and The Voice.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like she has enough life experiences to be relatable by the young contestants and viewers. As far as overhauling I think the other shows have had their eyes opened and made major changes. Obviously, they were influenced by its stage production and diversity of contestants. To the point the other shows looked dramatically different.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now if only Simon was intelligent enough to have noticed all the major flaws in his own show.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lovato is a great role model .. self mutilation, bipolar, bulimia, anger problems ..

I'm thinking Simon actually wants a meltdown ..

As well, detail shots of Spears during the formal announcement showed bloody fingernails as she had apparently chewed them to the quick .. and, of course, her issues are well known ..

Of course, nothing helps ratings more than young celebrities with issues ..

Uncle Willie

Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lovato is a great role model .. self mutilation, bipolar, bulimia, anger problems ..

As well, detail shots of Spears during the formal announcement showed bloody fingernails as she had apparently chewed them to the quick .. and, of course, her issues are well known ..

I think you are right.. has to be...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically it shows he hasn't learned anything. The idiotic faux-scandal crap that appears to work in England doesn't translate here. He found that out last season. My guess is that's the only card he knows how to play and he'll continue to play it until they cancel him.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think Simons criteria was:

1) Must be a Woman
2) Must be young
3) Must have issues or some controversy attached

and, of course, they must be willing to take the job

I'm surprised he did not go for Bristol Palin ..

Uncle Willie

Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Simon quite clearly has a jaded view of the world, and designs his shows to attract similar minded Schadenfreude viewers.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Simon quite clearly has a jaded view of the world, and designs his shows to attract similar minded Schadenfreude viewers.

I learned a new word today ..

Uncle Willie

Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I learned a new word today ..

Yeah, one of many interesting words you'd expect to only come from Germans. Defenestration being another of my favorites. It happens so much they needed a word for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think Simons criteria was:

1) Must be a Woman
2) Must be young
3) Must have issues or some controversy attached

I agree with the first two. Number three pretty much comes with the territory of being famous (to the target market - I hadn't heard of her before). My pure guess is he wants someone young viewers (mostly girls) will relate to and for the most part she appears to fit the bill. As far as her issues I think she has paid the price and hopefully learned from them. I certainly don't thing someone her age should be branded and to a large degree having gone through them her message carries much more weight.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

They paid the money for Spears JUST for the opening show ratings. That was a big problem last year-the show premiered with an audience that was a lot smaller than expected. We'll see if this strategy works. If she doesn't provide the ratings for that first show, then it's been a big waste of money-and they might as well just fire her and get someone in there who can actually do the job.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Spears is a different person now. How many celebrities have been trainwrecks but later turned into model citizens? Not many. Fox either wants a trainwreck, or they want someone who is actually good. The worst case would be if she is boring and bland like the AI judges.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree with the first two. Number three pretty much comes with the territory of being famous (to the target market - I hadn't heard of her before). My pure guess is he wants someone young viewers (mostly girls) will relate to and for the most part she appears to fit the bill. As far as her issues I think she has paid the price and hopefully learned from them. I certainly don't thing someone her age should be branded and to a large degree having gone through them her message carries much more weight.

The vast majority of young women don't have these issues, so I'm wondering what price we're talking about and what message .. ??

Lovato is another manufactured Disney celebrity .. lacks any degree of credential that would actually qualify her to judge or mentor ..

Uncle Willie

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

They paid the money for Spears JUST for the opening show ratings. That was a big problem last year-the show premiered with an audience that was a lot smaller than expected. We'll see if this strategy works. If she doesn't provide the ratings for that first show, then it's been a big waste of money-and they might as well just fire her and get someone in there who can actually do the job.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that Spears is a different person now. How many celebrities have been trainwrecks but later turned into model citizens? Not many. Fox either wants a trainwreck, or they want someone who is actually good. The worst case would be if she is boring and bland like the AI judges.

I'd still put Spears ahead of Lovato . .

Uncle Willie

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd still put Spears ahead of Lovato . .

Except Lavoto was $14 million cheaper.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The vast majority of young women don't have these issues, so I'm wondering what price we're talking about and what message .. ??

Just like Amanda Beard she can bring teen issues to light on a personal level. One they can relate to and learn from.

Quote:

Lovato is another manufactured Disney celebrity .. lacks any degree of credential that would actually qualify her to judge or mentor ..

Wasn't Rachel Crow just in talks with Disney and Nickelodeon? I'd say she be a perfect mentor.