The X Factor on FOX HD - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not surprising to me. We managed to slog through the first season, but haven't watched it since. Has anyone seen other versions from around the globe that have taken over? Are they similar to what the US version was? Nothing about the show really seemed to work for me. It was, quite frankly, unenjoyable and almost uncomfortable to watch at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Not surprising to me. We managed to slog through the first season, but haven't watched it since. Has anyone seen other versions from around the globe that have taken over? Are they similar to what the US version was? Nothing about the show really seemed to work for me. It was, quite frankly, unenjoyable and almost uncomfortable to watch at times.

The US version was basically a copycat of the UK original. What works in the UK (X Factors horrible fake controversies feed the UK tabloids) doesnt work in the US.
post #933 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The US version was basically a copycat of the UK original. What works in the UK (X Factors horrible fake controversies feed the UK tabloids) doesnt work in the US.

While the American viewing public does seem to share a need for controversy and drama, I think we prefer ours to be at least semi-real .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #934 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I just hated the constant noise and shrieking/squealing from the audience.

Also hated the singers standing still in the center of the stage while some hugely distracting production with dancers, singers and musicians was going on around them.

Could not bear to watch. And I never heard voices or performances or music selections that appealed to me.

All in all, it was a tragedy.
post #935 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I guess the first couple of years' winners were happy with the show, who ever the hell they are. They did get $5M each didn't they?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #936 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

I guess the first couple of years' winners were happy with the show, who ever the hell they are. They did get $5M each didn't they?

They got 5 million each "towards the recording and releasing of an album".
post #937 of 940 Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

They got 5 million each "towards the recording and releasing of an album".

As a recovering lawyer, I am highly impressed with the startling ambiguity of that statement.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #938 of 940 Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

As a recovering lawyer, I am highly impressed with the startling ambiguity of that statement.

Exactly.
post #939 of 940 Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Though it copied the later version of the UK format, which didn't do as well as the earlier series in the UK. The most recent UK series moved a bit closer to the original format. Originally acts performed in front of judges in more intimate auditions (no audience) - we don't have "Idol" in the UK (because of the legal issues between Simon 'Idol' Fuller and Simon 'X Factor' Cowell) so the similarity wasn't an issue - then they introduced the overblown stadium auditions (mid-record - I remember the scramble for crew to make it happen...)

However they've recently re-introduced the earlier judges intimate audition format - though with a twist that they then perform in front of the public AFTER going through the judges audition but before the live shows.

To be honest - the show has not hit the highs of previous series - though this is attributed to Simon Cowell leaving (he left the UK version to do the US version) In years gone by X Factor was regularly beating Strictly (aka Strictly Come Dancing aka the original Dancing With The Stars). They don't usually go head-to-head in the same time slot - but are the flagship Saturday and Sunday night entertainment shows in the UK (Saturday night is the natural home of family shows like these in the UK) Strictly absolutely hammered X Factor in their last series.

The tabloid backstories are big in the UK - and the US tabloid culture is very different. (We can also do live voting shows more easily as we only have one timezone)

However the US X Factor (which we get over here) was never really executed as well as the UK version (presentation particularly) Personally I'm not a huge fan of the format - but the execution here has been pretty good at times.

Quite a few countries have bought the X Factor format - but in quite a few cases it hasn't achieved the longevity of Idol or Dancing with the Stars.
post #940 of 940 Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Though it copied the later version of the UK format, which didn't do as well as the earlier series in the UK. The most recent UK series moved a bit closer to the original format. Originally acts performed in front of judges in more intimate auditions (no audience) - we don't have "Idol" in the UK (because of the legal issues between Simon 'Idol' Fuller and Simon 'X Factor' Cowell) so the similarity wasn't an issue - then they introduced the overblown stadium auditions (mid-record - I remember the scramble for crew to make it happen...)

However they've recently re-introduced the earlier judges intimate audition format - though with a twist that they then perform in front of the public AFTER going through the judges audition but before the live shows.

To be honest - the show has not hit the highs of previous series - though this is attributed to Simon Cowell leaving (he left the UK version to do the US version) In years gone by X Factor was regularly beating Strictly (aka Strictly Come Dancing aka the original Dancing With The Stars). They don't usually go head-to-head in the same time slot - but are the flagship Saturday and Sunday night entertainment shows in the UK (Saturday night is the natural home of family shows like these in the UK) Strictly absolutely hammered X Factor in their last series.

The tabloid backstories are big in the UK - and the US tabloid culture is very different. (We can also do live voting shows more easily as we only have one timezone)

However the US X Factor (which we get over here) was never really executed as well as the UK version (presentation particularly) Personally I'm not a huge fan of the format - but the execution here has been pretty good at times.

Quite a few countries have bought the X Factor format - but in quite a few cases it hasn't achieved the longevity of Idol or Dancing with the Stars.

What I hated most about the US version is how it essentially ruined the British show, which I enjoyed watching from the US for several years (loved Danni and Cheryl).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page