post #181 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

All I know is that Fox's handling of this show isn't conducive to making it a hit.

True that ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I still don't get how it all works. Next week has only one show listed and it's called Wildcard week. So I guess there's a chance they're adding 4 more people/groups next week or maybe it's just 1 wildcard. No idea. All I know is that Fox's handling of this show isn't conducive to making it a hit.

The baseball Playoffs/World Series is taking all the momentum away from this show.Once the games are over with it should really take off...

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #183 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
More padding...
and inexplicable choices.
The lowest ratings of the season tonight? Two hours without any performances? Ugh.
post #184 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Simon got rid of the only eye candy....grrrr

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #185 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So basically the US version is the same mess that the UK version is. In other words there's at least 2 obvious crap acts for Vote For The Worst to go nuts over (the rapper kid and the homeless guy), and a bunch of needless, manufactured drama that I think they're thinking will polarize the American audience into watching much like it does the UK audience. Sorry, Simon, doesn't work here. Pitting Rachel vs Melanie was dumb. Especially given that he sent through a girl that cant sing on key prior to showing which of the best two singers in the competition got through. Regardless, thank god for the DVR because that was way too long of a show.

I hate Nicoles team except for the 60 year old guy and Burrito Man. I think I like all of Paula's picks, but she didnt really have any hard decisions to make. The bad groups were sent packing.

LA Reid's team is the least watchable to me. He has two guys I want to watch (Chris and Marcus) and two guys I'll most likely be fast-forwarding through. I can't stand the Sinatra acts when they're on Idol, so this is no different to me. And rapping isn't singing, so the sooner that little twerp gets sent home, the better, but I have a feeling he and the hobo will be around a long time.

Even without the sexy (albeit mannish) rugby player, Simon's team is solid and interesting. Can't wait to see them all perform. My personal favorite is Melania, who Simon cast aside but then "rescued".

My DVR states this upcoming Tuesday is a 2 hour LIVE Wildcard performance. Whatever the hell that means. Just one night next week, so not sure when they'll do a results show.
post #186 of 940 Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For anyone who just skipped this episode, the complete rundown is here (with some good commentary):

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/x-factor-1...-and-recap.htm

my favorite quote:
Quote:

Brennin Hunt - He's shocked. And disappointed. But sorry Brennin. The handwriting was on the wall. No White Guys With Guitars allowed. Again, nothing can get in the way of that girl winner Simon's gunning for. The handsome and talented Brennin would have had females voting their fingers off. Brennin got the bitch edit so the girls wouldn't take it so hard.

Tim Cifers - Of course NO country guys were gonna get through. Scotty McCreery killed your dream, Tim! Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

These Hollywood types don't want country, and Simon loaded his team with 5 players verse 4 for the others.
post #187 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found this on another site, which is a press release from FOX:

The Top 17 will take to the stage in the first live show on Tuesday, October 25 at 8/7c when they will compete to become one of the show's "top finalists", according to a press release from broadcaster Fox.

The successful acts will compete against each other across all categories for the first time on November 2 at 8/7c - the first occasion on which viewers will be able to cast votes.

If anyone knows what that means, please explain it to the rest of the class.
I have no idea.
post #188 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:

Regardless, thank god for the DVR because that was way too long of a show.

I was clickity-clicking right through this show. Every single vote was edited as a fake-out and, man, that got annoying so I just forwarded to the point where we found out who was really picked. I think it only took 20 minutes of my life.

It helped that I missed the last two shows so I barely remembered anyone.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #189 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The DVR was beneficial in that it also allowed for freeze framing on Nicole's underwear shots. Mmmm. Shame she's a waste of space as a judge/mentor. She said the following to the 60 year old guy, "I'm just not sure you want it enough." He should have kicked her off that cliff into the ocean.
post #190 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

She said the following to the 60 year old guy, "I'm just not sure you want it enough."

Whoa, I did hear that right. I'll have to use that line the next time we interview someone for a job. "You're completely qualified for the position and we want to hire you... but I'm not sure you want the job enough."

The look of disbelief on the poor sap will be hilarious!

post #191 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Shame she's a waste of space as a judge/mentor.

Yep .. much like a guy named Tyler ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #192 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

She said the following to the 60 year old guy, "I'm just not sure you want it enough." He should have kicked her off that cliff into the ocean.

I think that was in response to his laid back attitude and perhaps the fact (at his age) he hasn't gotten further than he has. Much like she said to one gal... it's a tough business and I'm pretty sure you couldn't handle it. Now if you want to question her I have my doubts about Mick Jagger.
post #193 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it's safe to say that anyone who waits in line in that sea of humanity to get an audition wants it bad enough. It's funny when someone can make Paula look like the sane one. I liked LA Reid until some of his choices. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but the choice by Nicole of Dexter proved that just like Idol the producers are making all the decisions.
post #194 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I think that was in response to his laid back attitude and perhaps the fact (at his age) he hasn't gotten further than he has.

He's a bit younger than I, and what she fails to keep in mind is by that stage of life, many of us tend to get a bit laid back .. there is a difference between a 20-30 year old and a 60ish person .. as well, I thought this was a talent show ..

Uncle Willie

post #195 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thank God I only dvr'd this - I couldn't possibly have sat through 2 hrs of that and commercials. Could they make it any more cliche ridden and phony suspense? I loved the exchange btwn (I think) Paula and helper-judge: "So, you can only send 4 through?" - "Yes, and it has to be the best 4". Really? Thanks for that insight. Then, LA Reid, who I had liked until now, tells the little rapper kid with attitude that he doesn't have enough attitude. He also follows later by telling the country singer that he's too limited by just country! So, the little kid who only raps, forgets the words and has no singing ability is "versatile" while the country kid with a decent voice is limited? This whole judging thing was so phony, beyond belief. And they just happened to have a camera running late at night on Simon on his patio when he is struck by the revelation that he made a huge mistake. Yeah, that wasn't planned. This was really painful, with all the replays, padding, phony banter and critique, etc. I have the same question for Cowell that he says the other judges did - "What were you thinking!?" - except I mean for making the show like this at all.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #196 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

He's a bit younger than I, and what she fails to keep in mind is by that stage of life, many of us tend to get a bit laid back .. there is a difference between a 20-30 year old and a 60ish person .. as well, I thought this was a talent show ..

Even the title is The X Factor. The mentors kept questioning if they could become a superstar... talent (singing wise) is only a small portion. Take your superstar (regardless of what you think of them) such as Lady Gaga... she certainly has (singing) talent but that's a very small reason she is where she is today.
post #197 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Even the title is The X Factor. The mentors kept questioning if they could become a superstar... talent (singing wise) is only a small portion. Take your superstar (regardless of what you think of them) such as Lady Gaga... she certainly has (singing) talent but that's a very small reason she is where she is today.

Of course .. however, talent is what got them there .. I like Gaga .. not only is she an excellent performer and provocateur, she is a great songwriter .. and that's what got her where she is today .. without talent, you can have all the "X-Factor" there is, and unless you are a reality TV star, it will get you absolutely nada .. with all due respect, it is ludicrous to compare her with anyone I have seen so far on this show ..

Uncle Willie

post #198 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Of course .. however, talent is what got them there .. I like Gaga .. not only is she an excellent performer and provocateur, she is a great songwriter .. and that's what got her where she is today ..

Not from the Doc I watched. She was writing and singing like crazy and no one in the audience even paid attention to her. It wasn't until she and her fellow artist started to undress on stage did they begin to listen. True story.
post #199 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The entire way the show was produced and directed last night is exactly how it's done in the UK. It's like they didn't bother to try to adjust it for the different audience. In the UK the show is a phenomenon. There's TV shows just about it, including a show that follows the show to talk about the show. In the US, it's just another show. The BS with Melanie may have worked in the UK, but that crap doesn't fly here. I love that the press this morning basically told Simon to cut the sh**.
post #200 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although the format has been confusing, jarring, frustrating and at times transparently phony, I'm still liking it more than American Idol. There is some real judging and mentoring happening and the talent level is pretty high.

It reminds me of last season of AI when a mentor told a singer not to "oversing" a song with endless runs. Naturally was scolded by Randy for not singing those crazy long runs that he loves. What's the point of mentoring?

post #201 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not from the Doc I watched. She was writing and singing like crazy and no one in the audience even paid attention to her. It wasn't until she and her fellow artist started to undress on stage did they begin to listen. True story.

I've not seen that doc, however, I have read her bio .. and yes, she did do a burlesque style show at an early career point .. however, it's my understanding she began her rise to fame as a songwriter for Britney Spears, Fergie and the Pussycat Dolls .. and it was her singing talent that convinced Jimmy Iovine to sign her ..

I don't dispute the fact that an artist can use some "X-Factor" .. probably more so in this day and age than in the past .. but if you go back in pop / rock music history, I'll still insist that the talent must be there .. Eagles, CCR, Tom Petty, etc .. the list is long .. and the one thing they all have in common is the ability to write a song that connects and perform it well .. and that's long lasting talent .. not much of todays throwaway artists that won't be remembered in 5 years ..

Uncle Willie

post #202 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Although the format has been confusing, jarring, frustrating and at times transparently phony, I'm still liking it more than American Idol. There is some real judging and mentoring happening and the talent level is pretty high.

It reminds me of last season of AI when a mentor told a singer not to "oversing" a song with endless runs. Naturally was scolded by Randy for not singing those crazy long runs that he loves. What's the point of mentoring?

I gave up on AI last season .. I had hoped that with Tyler, things would get better ..

I did really enjoy "The Voice" .. even though I felt like the winner was almost pre-ordained from the get go .. and I'm looking forward to the next season ..

Uncle Willie

post #203 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Eagles, CCR, Tom Petty, etc .. the list is long .. and the one thing they all have in common is the ability to write a song that connects and perform it well .. and that's long lasting talent .. not much of todays throwaway artists that won't be remembered in 5 years ..

Or yesterday's throwaway artists. Or yesteryear's throwaway artists. Or yesterdecade's throwaway artists. They're what keep the industry going and have for decades.

post #204 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I'm surprised to say this, but of all the divisions the Groups were the ones I had the least problem with. Outside of the Brewer Boys who have been off the mark for me I agree with every choice. Melanie's elimination made no sense, and I am glad they corrected it. I thought Astro had a good final audition, but I would not have put him through.
post #205 of 940 Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I'm surprised to say this, but of all the divisions the Groups were the ones I had the least problem with. Outside of the Brewer Boys who have been off the mark for me I agree with every choice. Melanie's elimination made no sense, and I am glad they corrected it. I thought Astro had a good final audition, but I would not have put him through.

Brewer Boys are lousy, but they're no better or worse than the people that left, so I have no issue either. I prefer the producer-created groups. Especially the hot country girls. Melanies removal is a stunt not unfamiliar to fans of the UK show. Now when she makes the final they can pimp the hell outa the fact that she almost wasnt a part of it.
post #206 of 940 Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

They're what keep the industry going and have for decades.

How so .. ?? I've been in the music industry for 45 years .. it's the long lasting catalog artists that have the longevity .. "Dark Side of the Moon" outsells about anything I can think of from just 5-10 years ago .. and Pink Floyd certainly never had any "X-Factor" .. whatever that is ..

Uncle Willie

post #207 of 940 Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

. . . Pink Floyd certainly never had any "X-Factor" .. whatever that is ..

Yeah..... but they had Ummagumma .. whatever that is ..

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #208 of 940 Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to EW.com, this week will only have one episode because of (yawn) baseball. It will be on Tuesday, and it will run two and a half hours. Apparently it's a live show with the goal of eliminating 5 contestants to bring the total to 12. Why this is called a "Wildcard" show is beyond me, but at least we'll finally get to see some real X Factor-style performances. Those unfamiliar with them will immediately see a difference between it and American Idol, who just send their singers out on stage alone to sing. X Factor is more known for its elaborate stage lighting, backup dancers etc etc. Expect to see a lot of fog machine action.

They also reported that Fox has had to offer incentives(rebates?) to advertisers since X Factor has failed to hit the numbers Simon had promised them. The show is still winning all the nights its on apparently and has helped FOX improve its viewership this time of year over past years, but its still not the 20 million per night. Baseball is turning out to be a major bummer for FOX, which is impacting most of its other shows including X Factor which saw its shows moved all around the schedule with barely any time to notify fans.
post #209 of 940 Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Baseball is turning out to be a major bummer for FOX, which is impacting most of its other shows including X Factor which saw its shows moved all around the schedule with barely any time to notify fans.

I don't know who reported this as far as major bummer, but it's certainly not finacially bad for them .. in all the years I've watched the series, I've never heard it called a bummer for a network ..

Uncle Willie

post #210 of 940 Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know who reported this as far as major bummer, but it's certainly not finacially bad for them .. in all the years I've watched the series, I've never heard it called a bummer for a network ..

It's because of what it does to their television series. Like right now they're praying over at FOX that people remember about New Girl when it eventually returns. The Divisional Playoffs for FOX earned a 2.9, but FOX averages over a 3 when baseball isn't on, which is bad news when you combine it with the fact that their shows also get interrupted. What it's done to X Factor already has cost them greatly.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page