post #271 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionon View Post

ratings down 17% to a series low this week.

Alcatraz 1.9/18-49 4/hh 6.24 million viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ted-up/119824/

what are the odds it will finish out it's half season?

100%

Argee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I keep wondering about Hauser's other analysts down in the Batcave, especially since Hauser did his research alone in front of the Big Computer Monitor Bank this week. I couldn't begin to follow how the POTW's (Psycho Of The Week) diabolical code was broken and how they knew which words were the right words, but I was willing to go along with it.

Anyway, what about those guys? Do they clock in and out of the Batcave every day? What exactly is their job description? All the cases seem to break and get solved and the baddies apprehended in the outside world with Becca, Soto, and Hauser. Do they have a dental plan? What does their break room look like? Do they get to wear jeans on casual Fridays?
post #273 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I keep wondering about Hauser's other analysts down in the Batcave, especially since Hauser did his research alone in front of the Big Computer Monitor Bank this week. I couldn't begin to follow how the POTW's (Psycho Of The Week) diabolical code was broken and how they knew which words were the right words, but I was willing to go along with it.

Hauser didn't use Team Secret this week because it was a personal case for him. He wanted to close the book on the guy he failed to beat previously. Team Secret were probably computing how to find the next seismic anomaly and playing foosball.

The code was pretty straightforward. Combat engineers picked a memorable song with specific words and used those to identify the locations of mined areas. So it's just a matter of reading the lyrics and picking out the uncommon words and cross-referencing with locations. Once you know the key song it's just match game.

post #274 of 482 Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a feeling rating are going to continue to tank because they arent moving the story along

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #275 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I love how the lead FBI guy is not afraid or worried about shooting the convict in the leg. Was not expecting that. I am enjoying this show and enjoying the teases of what is going on. All the blood, the doctors, etc.

post #276 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I love how the lead FBI guy is not afraid or worried about shooting the convict in the leg. Was not expecting that. I am enjoying this show and enjoying the teases of what is going on. All the blood, the doctors, etc.

Lead FBI guy = Hauser. And he's not with the FBI. We're, what? Four episodes in now?
post #277 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lead FBI guy = Hauser. And he's not with the FBI. We're, what? Four episodes in now?

I consider it a good sign when I can remember a character's name this early. It means they are having an impact.

Which is good news for Hauser and Soto, not so good news for blond cop.

post #278 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Finally got around to watching the latest episode. Probably my least favorite because there's so many flaws in it as everyone pointed out. Did anyone point out the ...take the girl off of life support in ICU, walk out without being spotted by anyone and when you get to this secret bunker she's still alive? REALLY???

And Hauser shooting the guy in the leg with the cops all there on scene....but nobody notices or says anything.

The worst episode they had so far
post #279 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

And Hauser shooting the guy in the leg with the cops all there on scene....but nobody notices or says anything.

That was one of the best parts! There should be far more indiscriminate shooting. As soon as they see a convict they should shoot them in the legs.

When the episode started I thought they were going to buck the trend of spending an entire hour chasing another bad guy. Blond cop should have shot the convict when she first saw him as others have pointed out.

At least it shows Hauser is a bit of a bad ass. More bad assery is sorely needed. Old school 1960's cop justice would make the modern day crime solving at least a little different than every other show on TV.

post #280 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I consider it a good sign when I can remember a character's name this early. It means they are having an impact.

Which is good news for Hauser and Soto, not so good news for blond cop.

I can think of two very good reasons not to forget Becca's name. Somehow, some way, before they're canceled, they have to figure out a way to get her an underwear scene. Preferably running in her underwear. That could be a vital ingredient in getting this series a second season.

And I still think of Soto as Hurley. The ubiquitous Sam Niell can disappear into one role after another, always playing variations on the same theme, but Jorge Garcia will always be Hugo Reyes to me. Of course, if he lost one (or two) hundred pounds he would look like an entirely different person; could help his career.
post #281 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can think of two very good reasons not to forget Becca's name. Somehow, some way, before they're canceled, they have to figure out a way to get her an underwear scene.

That's the reason I can easily remember her real name is Sarah Jones.

post #282 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

Thought it was interesting from the perspective of peeling back the onion on Dr Gupta...and her relationship with Hauser. Add to it the fact that we're learning more about Rebecca's Grandfather...and I was ok with it.

What I THOUGHT WAS DOPEY--and cheesy was the fact that Hauser had enough time to run off the mine, go behind the sandbagged wall and have a 4 course meal while the bomb expert (who, as others said, was created to die....) played with the wires, plunger and had a Chai Latte before he went Spinal Tap. I also felt the same way when Rebecca had the land mine rolled at her in the beginning...and didn't shoot Petty as the mine slowly rolled to her. Cheesy....

Thumbs down for that part...thumbs up for the additional info I felt was presented in the episode.

Another shooting to a 63's limb as well....the blood taking of Rebecca's grandfather brought up again

Agree about shooting Petty in the beginning, but then there wouldn't have been an episode.

I think an even easier method would have been to put a sand bag on top of Hauser's shoe and let him slip out of it. Tie a rope to it and pull it off. The mine goes off and no one is hurt except the red shirted sand bag.

Also, was that the only mine on the beach or did they just miss stepping on the rest of them?

Quote:

That's the reason I can easily remember her real name is Sarah Jones.

Now if she was just attractive.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #283 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
No Hauser first spotted Petty as he was walking onto the beach so Hauser stepped on the 1st one he planted.
post #284 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Agree about shooting Petty in the beginning, but then there wouldn't have been an episode.

Not necessarily. The Alcatraz scenes were still the most interesting parts and they had the convict tied to a chair being interrogated during those.

They could have apprehended him in the present and then tried to figure out where the other bombs were by torturing him for an hour or playing mind games. Getting Soto to talk to him for an hour about wormholes and stuff should have done the trick.

Alternatively have two cons come back at the same time in one episode. Capture one at the beginning only to discover another on the loose. It's funny how they are all conveniently returned one at a time and with an interval long enough to allow them to solve one case before moving on to another. That's real nice of Evil Corp.

post #285 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Not necessarily. The Alcatraz scenes were still the most interesting parts and they had the convict tied to a chair being interrogated during those.

They could have apprehended him in the present and then tried to figure out where the other bombs were by torturing him for an hour or playing mind games. Getting Soto to talk to him for an hour about wormholes and stuff should have done the trick.

How about Hugo giving him current reviews of the city's restaurants. Of course, Hugo doesn't look like he has ever had a bad meal.

Quote:

Alternatively have two cons come back at the same time in one episode. Capture one at the beginning only to discover another on the loose. It's funny how they are all conveniently returned one at a time and with an interval long enough to allow them to solve one case before moving on to another. That's real nice of Evil Corp.

They are nice like that.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #286 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Loved seeing Hauser just shoot the guy in the foot, after calming stating "my foot hurts", that was awesome.

Jorge Garcia is basically typecast as "Hurley" for the rest of his acting career, for better or for worse.
post #287 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Actually, I just finished making my second DVD of this show, so we are six shows, if you count the pilot as two, into the show. There have been six hours of the program so far. Epguides does not count the two hour pilot as one episode.

1 1-01 16/Jan/12 Pilot
2 1-02 16/Jan/12 Ernest Cobb
3 1-03 23/Jan/12 Kit Nelson
4 1-04 30/Jan/12 Cal Sweeney
5 1-05 06/Feb/12 Guy Hastings
6 1-06 13/Feb/12 Paxton Petty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Loved seeing Hauser just shoot the guy in the foot, after calming stating "my foot hurts", that was awesome.

I agree it would never happen, but it was pretty satisfying to see him do it. I also agree that he would never have been bable to carry Lucy out of the hospital without being challenged. We only saw him disconnect her IV and pulse monitor, so that she survived the trip to NEWcatraz wasn't surprising.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #288 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Jorge Garcia is basically typecast as "Hurley" for the rest of his acting career, for better or for worse.

Quite frankly do you have a problem with Latin actors or actresses?
Thank you

Home Theater Aficionado
post #289 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Thank you

Asking that question based on a single comment is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Especially when it was a statement that is clearly relevant to the the actor.

Unless Garcia loses a lot of weight or starts playing serial killers to make him less likeable he's going to be Hurley for a long, long time.

post #290 of 482 Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Thank you

Can someone show me the connection between Latin and typecast?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #291 of 482 Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Can someone show me the connection between Latin and typecast?

Oh, that's easy:

If you're a Latin actor, you'll never be seen as anything other than that one big thing....and they'll fail at anything else:

Hugo Reyes will never be anyone but Hurley...

Jimmy Smits will never be anyone but Det. Bobby Simone...

George Lopez will never be funny...
post #292 of 482 Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Oh, that's easy:

If you're a Latin actor, you'll never be seen as anything other than that one big thing....and they'll fail at anything else:

Well, I can name two that, if typecast, it's only in a good way. Ricardo Montalban, and Hector Alizondo.
post #293 of 482 Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Not sure how we got on this road from watching Alcatraz.

You know Ricardo is kickin' back on some rich Corinthian leather, enjoying some Mr. Clucks chicken.

Smits played a mean Senator Bail Organa.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #294 of 482 Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Asking that question based on a single comment is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Especially when it was a statement that is clearly relevant to the the actor...

Check that user's post history. There's lots more dumb.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #295 of 482 Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Oh, that's easy:

great setup, awesome punch line...now, you gonna come clean the coffee off my screen?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #296 of 482 Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm trying to hang on to this; I like the 1960 scenes. The weekly chase, mildly interesting because of the uniqueness of the crimes being committed. I'm hoping this becomes like "Person of Interest" in that it was a slow start/a little too procedural, but 7-8 episodes in, it got really good. We'll see.
post #297 of 482 Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It was good that they brought back the first con this week because the modern-day events bored me. I really didn't care if he killed the subway passengers at the end. Not to mention I was kind of on his side.

Mostly I thought the present day scenes were just an annoying interruption to the Alcatraz flashback, which I thought was great and had a more interesting wrap up than the boring subway fight.

It actually makes me slightly depressed when this happens because the more I watch the more I would have preferred the show if it was just a period Alcatraz prison drama. Now that premise has been incorporated into the this series nobody else can do the idea without it being a carbon copy.

Alcatraz had all the ingredients to make a compelling historical drama. An interesting history, a unique locale, a vast array of characters with both prisoners and guards living on the island, violence, drama, potential romance subplots for the guard families and they could even tie-in historical cameos from the more famous inmates. It had all the rich ingredients that made Deadwood such an interesting place to watch.

Prison Break season one was fantastic television, so prison dramas can work in prime time. They don't have to be Oz.

post #298 of 482 Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I keep waiting for a Burt Lancaster lookalike and his killer birds episode...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #299 of 482 Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Fox's Alcatraz continued to fall as well dropping a tenth to a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...hes-up/120824/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #300 of 482 Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

So I guess the big question is, Is Alcatraz down "The River" already?
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page