post #361 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I don't want to see Alcatraz canceled either, but if canceling it, along with the already canceled Terra Nova improves Fringe's chances for a another season or half season for a proper finish to the story then I'm okay with no more Alcatraz. In my opinion, Alcatraz is much better than Terra Nova ever was, but Fringe is better than both of those shows combined. Of course that's not what matters...

Keenan, you & I are in complete agreement. I haven't watched Fringe yet, but have read nothing but good things about the show. At the time it aired, we were just finishing BSG & Lost and we didn't want to get wrapped up in another serial right away, especially with Fox's track record. Later this year, I'll be getting Fringe on BD so will enjoy it that way.

+100 on the comparison with TN, which most of you can tell from my posting history I was not a fan of

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Later this year, I'll be getting Fringe on BD so will enjoy it that way...

Ya' know, that may just be the way to go with any new series, especially one that's got any hint of sci fi and is procedural. Just wait for a season's run and then watch. Less aggravating than investing in a few episodes and finding out there won't be any conclusions (V, The Event, etc.) I too would rather it not be cancelled, just move along w/ the story or stick with a "monster of the week" format. Agree that Fringe is the leader of the pack, but I missed out on about 4 episodes and never really got caught up. Didn't really get into Terra Nova, too many plot stretches for my taste.

Tony
post #363 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Fringe is the best show on tv right now.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #364 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post

Ya' know, that may just be the way to go with any new series, especially one that's got any hint of sci fi and is procedural. Just wait for a season's run and then watch. Less aggravating than investing in a few episodes and finding out there won't be any conclusions (V, The Event, etc.) I too would rather it not be canceled, just move along w/ the story or stick with a "monster of the week" format. Agree that Fringe is the leader of the pack, but I missed out on about 4 episodes and never really got caught up. Didn't really get into Terra Nova, too many plot stretches for my taste.

Tony

Just make sure to watch it live if you're a Nielsen family (or lie about it). Otherwise there won't be any shiny disks to buy or rent in the first place.

Gads, I'd love to be a Nielsen family. God knows what slack-jawed mouth-breathers they get to keep these ratings books, but they sure have crummy taste in TV.
post #365 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Just make sure to watch it live if you're a Nielsen family (or lie about it). Otherwise there won't be any shiny disks to buy or rent in the first place.

Gads, I'd love to be a Nielsen family. God knows what slack-jawed mouth-breathers they get to keep these ratings books, but they sure have crummy taste in TV.

Me....back in November.
post #366 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Me....back in November.

I know from your posting history you were probably fighting the good fight. Not enough like you, unfortunately.
post #367 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So, how many more episodes of Alcatraz are there before it shuts down and turns off the lights?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #368 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

So, how many more episodes of Alcatraz are there before it shuts down and turns off the lights?

Don't count it out yet! But in regard to this season, two singles and a double hour finale over the next three weeks.

ron
post #369 of 482 Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Don't count it out yet! ...ron

Sorry. You're right.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #370 of 482 Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not even close to Justified.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #371 of 482 Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I enjoyed both the new episodes and I was complaining to my wife part way through that it seems one prisoner comes back with a purpose (i.e. get a key) and another comes back just to finish what they started. No sooner did I say it and they explained it in detail on the show like 30 seconds later. Made me smile and I was satisfied with their answer.

post #372 of 482 Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I missed it. What exactly did they say the explanation was?

Luke

post #373 of 482 Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I missed it. What exactly did they say the explanation was?

Some of the guys they captured had the special blood element and these were the ones going for the keys and such, the last one that was just burying that lady did not have anything in his blood. The old doctor said it was because not every prisoner was of interest to the people involved, but there was over 300 prisoners at the time they were taken, so some are just coming back and aren't part of the "plan".

post #374 of 482 Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I caught the "not all have the compound in their blood" comment, but I missed the "some are not part of the plan" follow-up.

Luke

post #375 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I enjoyed both the new episodes and I was complaining to my wife part way through that it seems one prisoner comes back with a purpose (i.e. get a key) and another comes back just to finish what they started. No sooner did I say it and they explained it in detail on the show like 30 seconds later. Made me smile and I was satisfied with their answer.

They didn't explain it in detail. The doc said that during the time on Alcatraz only some of the prisoners held special interest.

It doesn't explain why all of them are being sent to the future, only that some of them are enhanced to perform a task.

It also doesn't explain why the doctors are seemingly ageless but have no knowledge of the very procedure which could explain their longevity.

post #376 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They didn't explain it in detail. The doc said that during the time on Alcatraz only some of the prisoners held special interest.

It doesn't explain why all of them are being sent to the future, only that some of them are enhanced to perform a task.

It also doesn't explain why the doctors are seemingly ageless but have no knowledge of the very procedure which could explain their longevity.

I said it explained in detail why some go after a "mission" and some just do what they always did before.

The docs are still an unexplained part of it. Either they returned earlier then everyone else and being doctors are not criminals, etc. and are helping, or it was planned by the leader of the group hunting them, etc. I think more will be revealed regarding the docs soon.

post #377 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Collateral damage, by which I mean, whatever force caused the jump, everyone on the island went. Some had a mission, some were just along for the ride. A better question, in my mind is, why they are not appearing at the same time, OR in the same place?

Luke

post #378 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The series would not be manageable if all came back at once. Pure logistics in order for the series to work.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #379 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I said it explained in detail why some go after a "mission" and some just do what they always did before.

How so? They have blood that shows they've been introduced to something that makes them healthier, but it doesn't explain why they perform specified tasks or why people are being sent back to just do exactly what they used to with no directive.

Nothing about being made healthy again explains how they are given tasks they don't understand but do anyway.

post #380 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A better question, in my mind is, why they are not appearing at the same time, OR in the same place?

Which one can assume means they are being sent back or released intentionally by a controlling force. Otherwise there would be random cons popping up everywhere and some might not have been reprogrammed yet to carry out their orders or in sequence.

post #381 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The series would not be manageable if all came back at once. Pure logistics in order for the series to work.

Yes, but to fit in the context of the show, there has to be a plausable reason for the staggared return. They all LEFT at the same time.

Luke

post #382 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Yes, but to fit in the context of the show, there has to be a plausable reason for the staggared return. They all LEFT at the same time.

Did they?

Follow the odd logic for a moment... I have a magic time-travel snagger. I can reach back into the past and grab anyone and bring them to the present.

So... today I reach back to 3-1-1963 at 11pm and pull some random dude forward to today.

Tomorrow I reach back to 3-1-1963 at 11pm and pull some other random dude forward.

and so forth...

Each guy, thus, "appears" to disappear at the exact same moment... and re-appear on different days in the future.

Not saying that is how it works on Alcatraz... but it is a temporal explanation of how things can appear differently than they actually are.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #383 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The can't just be moved directly from the past to reappear in an episode. Too much has to happen to them in between in order for them to not freak out and be programmed to achieve a goal.

They still haven't explained what happened to the con who was led into the underground room yet. Was he zapped forward to Evil Co. HQ in the present or was he modified in the secret room before being sent to the future?

Or maybe he was 4400-ed. Pulled to the far future from the past and then sent back to our present.

post #384 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How so? They have blood that shows they've been introduced to something that makes them healthier, but it doesn't explain why they perform specified tasks or why people are being sent back to just do exactly what they used to with no directive.

Nothing about being made healthy again explains how they are given tasks they don't understand but do anyway.

The blood shows they were "selected" for a task. The blood also makes them heal extremely fast, I believe the doc said something in the neighborhood of 50% better. They were coming back to get the keys (at least so far) and they had a stash set aside for them for what they need, etc. Not sure if there is going to be more then just the keys but we will have to wait and see I guess.

post #385 of 482 Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Or maybe he was 4400-ed. Pulled to the far future from the past and then sent back to our present.

I'm kind of leaning that direction... that allows for the people to be snapped up at different "times" or even all at once... then deposited into the "past" as they see fit.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #386 of 482 Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It looks like we will get some closure on the story next week in the season wrap up.
post #387 of 482 Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
We better, since it might be the last episode.

Quote:

Alcatraz dipped to a series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...t-lows/125119/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #388 of 482 Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think it's dead. I gave up 3 or 4 weeks ago I'll just wait til it's done and burn through them.
post #389 of 482 Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

It looks like we will get some closure on the story next week in the season wrap up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

We better, since it might be the last episode.

Its renewal prospects look very unlikely. Too bad, as my wife and I really like the show.

I guess Parminder Nagra is going to have to find something else to do to pay the bills other then lying in bed all day. How much acting talent does it take to play someone in a coma for nine episodes? Yeah, there were the flashbacks... She is a much better actress, and deserves better than that.

Luke

post #390 of 482 Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I think it's dead. I gave up 3 or 4 weeks ago I'll just wait til it's done and burn through them.

I gave up as well.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page