'Alcatraz' on FOX HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 482 Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Alcatraz pilot is being shown on Continental/United flights right now.

I thought it was interesting. Has some promise, though it could also get real old real quick.

The lead female is an eye-catcher...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The lead's "assets" are the only things keeping me on board. Hello again, Polly Zobelle. Don't even think they used the surrounds in the first hour... audio was pretty weak.

This 2nd hour reminds me of NBC's Chase. Pretty blonde lead chasing dudes. Stronger support, but still lacking substance.
post #33 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I thought it was forgettable and formulaic, and the background mystery seems unlikely to ever become compelling. The characters all seem pretty flat and I don't see how that team meshes well together in the long run to make them a more interesting group. All I could think while watching it was that someone challenged J.J. to make a sort-of period piece, since they're all the rage, even though he didn't have a good idea for one.

Caveat that the above could be the bitter Fringe fan in me lashing out at its likely replacement for next season, but I saw it as Fringe clone with a weak premise and even weaker characters. Since this female lead is highly emotive, however, I'm sure it'll catch fire with viewers.
post #34 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow this show is bad. The "mystery" isn't compelling. For what is essentially a police procedural they're awfully loose with forensics. "Here check out this bullet casing I found!" Even on Castle they put some effort into some story about how / why / when Castle can go into a crime scene (or pursue a suspect). In this show it's "come on in." bummer. I was hoping for something good. I guess JJ Abrams slapped his name on this for some cash.
post #35 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's X-Files meets Dirty Harry's daughter. And it's basically going to be a "Crook of the Week" show. But if they can pace out revealing who/what is behind it all maybe they have something.
post #36 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Where did Sylvane find the coat loaded with cash and a ticket off the island? And I didn't think Jorge Garcia could get any bigger than he was on Lost, the man is HUGE!
post #37 of 482 Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
I kind of liked the first two hours of Alcatraz it is kind of an interesting plot even if it does remind me a lot of the plot of "The 4400". I will keep watching the show this season and see where it goes. Looking at the island shots of Alcatraz and I now see where they got the layout of Arkham Asylum.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #38 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I enjoyed the 2-hour premiere. I've always liked Sam Neill. Is it me, or has Hugo (Jorge Garcia) gotten bigger?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #39 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The warden has to be involved somehow....right?

Or are Jacob and the Dharma Initiative using a lighthouse and a hatch to manipulate everyone?
post #40 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's going to be very interesting to see how the ratings move next week. From my perspective, I imagine they will tank. I was surprised in a bad way by the first 2 hours. None of the main actors are worthwhile except Hurley. Neill is particularly painful to watch, which is a surprise given his resume and experience. The lead female is wooden. The supporting cast in the form of the returning prisoners were the most compelling and believeable.

Not sure why, but this really stunk for me, which surprised me since I was looking forward to it, and was hoping for good things. I usually give things a second chance, but not sure about this one.
post #41 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Where did Sylvane find the coat loaded with cash and a ticket off the island? And I didn't think Jorge Garcia could get any bigger than he was on Lost, the man is HUGE!

I assumed he simply picked some tourists' pockets on his way down to the dock. Why else would he reach into his pocket when asked for his ticket. If he hadn't had one he'd have bolted or something.

However, unless the procedure is different now from when I went there, you do not have to show a ticket when leaving.
post #42 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
one and done
post #43 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I thought the show was OK. It did not strike me as overwhelmingly bad or outstanding.
post #44 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm on the fence after watching the Premiere, though I'm definitely leaning towards a NO WATCH. The main leads don't have the chemistry I was hoping for and like others I was disappointed in Sam Neill's character. The two returning inmates were the most intriguing, but if each succeeding episode is more of the same it's going to get old fast. The underlying plot had better be compelling or this one will be scrubbed before the season's finale is reached.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #45 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

I assumed he simply picked some tourists' pockets on his way down to the dock. Why else would he reach into his pocket when asked for his ticket.

Actually, you see it fall on the floor as he gets up. That's also where he got the key to the locker with the gun...
post #46 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I assumed the money, ticket and locker key were all given to him by whomever sent him back. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to complete his mission. Now it would be even cooler if Sawyer and Kate made an appearance or two.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #47 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 128
There was only one thing worthwhile about the pilot. Well, two...Instead of wasting valuable brain cells in devising the back story they need to come up with inventive and clever ways for the lead to remove her clothes. Otherwise there isn't much there worth watching. Going by all the cleavage shots they managed to work in, the showrunners appear to know that.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #48 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM

I thought the show was in the middle and didn't really push one way or another. Just kind of uninspired. But it was the first (and second) eps, so I will hold out hope for what's to come. Hopefully they give Hugo more to do, and make him more important.
post #49 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post

Actually, you see it fall on the floor as he gets up. That's also where he got the key to the locker with the gun...

Ah. Missed that detail. Maybe they'll replay this opener, or I'll watch it online.

Other odd stuff which might be part of the mystery. All the doors were unlocked when everyone went missing; those guys from the boat walked right up into the cell block. And all their clothes were left behind.

The reaction on Facebook seems to be that everyone wants it to be another "Lost."
post #50 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

one and done

One hour and done for me, mostly for the police procedural issues that Flambe posted about above.

I did enjoy the quick LOST reference of refering to Doc (Hugo) as "Lunch Box", a name that Sawyer often called him.
post #51 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I liked it. Guess I am way in the minority here. I thought the backstory was compelling and why this is happening and how it happened has me hooked. I also liked the going back to the old days and seeing them in Alcatraz was cool. So far so good for me.

post #52 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

The series premiere of Fox's Alcatraz drew a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating, that was two tenths better than the 3.1 rating for the premiere of Terra Nova in September and right in line with our readers expectations. It was also tied with Revenge as the second best drama premiere of the season (behind Once Upon A Time). The half hour ratings were 3.2, 3.3, 3.3, 3.2.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...a-nova/116692/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #53 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I enjoyed the 2-hour premiere. I've always liked Sam Neill. Is it me, or has Hugo (Jorge Garcia) gotten bigger?

yeah..looks like once Hurley got back home he spent a LOT of time at Mr. Clucks Chicken Shack.
post #54 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yawn!

I liked the first 10 minutes or so until it turned into a cop show. Aren't there enough of those already?
post #55 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Thought the writing was uninspired and riddled with typical cop procedural clich├ęs. Sam Neill's character is especially grating. Just tell her why she's there and get it over with since she'll obviously find out eventually and you'll just look like a dick for not telling her to begin with. Duh.

Thought the violence - all that gunshot blood spattering about - was a bit over the top for the kind of show it wants to be. Hard to believe all these horrific killings are going on and the entire SF police force is held back so this 4 (now 3) man team can pursue the bad guy on their own. And what's with the secret prison and the Bat Cave? Why does there always have to be a Bat Cave?

Agree that the female lead is cute as a puppy, including the sweater variety (more tight, unbuttoned t-shirts please). Agree also that Garcia looks as if he's eaten too many Apollo Bars since becoming un-LOST. The sci-fi-ish premise is interesting enough to keep me hanging in there for awhile, but it really needs to improve the writing. And if it gets too procedural-ly, I'm out.
post #56 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well I watched, the lead blond looks a lot like Dana Perino from The Five on Fox News except with much bigger headlights...Always good to see Parminder Dogma from ER again....Noticed the whooshing sound as they went to break, like Lost... What else is on Monday night now that Football is over??? Cable should jump in with some counter programming. They sure have tonight [Tue.]
post #57 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
It looks as if it's going the MotW route, but due to the scifi angle I'll continue to watch as long as the underlying plot gets advanced in a reasonable fashion, and the writing doesn't get too bad, and we maybe see Hurley run after a suspect.

The actual San Francisco location shots were nice, although I expect that will probably be dialed back to it's Vancouver, B.C. base in future episodes.
post #58 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Lots of the pilot was filmed in a North Vancouver studio, including the "Batcave" of Alcatraz.
post #59 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Just another reason why I'm watching less and less broadcast network TV. Way too formulaic and a gimmick. Guess I'm getting spoiled watching too many BBC series where they don't insult the intellect of the audience. And no, San Francisco doesn't not have a range of mountains around it (dead giveaway for Vancouver sitting in). There is one peak to the north (Mt. Tam) and the Oakland Hills to the east which are hardly mountains.
post #60 of 482 Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM

the whole thing seemed phoned in. the acting, the writing, the music..everything.

looked great though. why can't NFL on fox look that good?

one of life's mysteries i guess...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page